Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the inflation will continue until enough of the poor have been fed into the grinding maw of Mammon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Having a very good chortle at the barrage of STRONG STABLE 2 hours before overnight trading opens.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/NewLeftEViews/status/1637540802904702976

[doomsday economics] RRTBTFFRT (Really Really Too Big To Fail, For Real Though)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Having a very good chortle at the barrage of STRONG STABLE 2 hours before overnight trading opens.

They don't understand what the Streisand Effect is, OP.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE MARKET ARE STRONG

I'll be pretty disappointed if more dominos don't fall over this week

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So anyway if we are steadily repeating 2008, which country's bank goes bankrupt for our Iceland moment?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Italy or Turkey seem like a solid bet

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

what i want you to go out and tell them is, "it's fine."

now let me see you make your "it's fine." face

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

FistEnergy posted:

I'll be pretty disappointed if more dominos don't fall over this week

They’ll figure out a way that fucks everyone over to make sure banks are ok and it will work

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin
ECB commentin' on Credit Sus

JustFollowingOrder has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Mar 19, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Wells Fargo tempting fate

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

TDepressionEarl posted:

what i want you to go out and tell them is, "it's fine."

now let me see you make your "it's fine." face

lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

sd6 posted:

Yeah it's just like shareholders getting wiped out, like with SVB. That's the risk you take with corporate bonds, if the org goes into bankruptcy or the like, you don't get your principal back

that's hosed up. is there no government left to make people whole?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeuasommenulle/status/1637532660493955072?s=20

*chuckles* "You think those are bonds you're holding??"

:agesilaus:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Italy or Turkey seem like a solid bet

UniCredit S.p.A. imploded when?!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Lol at All the statements saying actually everything is good, strong, stable, no problems here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

doesn’t that basically amount to issuing a dividend while telling creditors to get hosed hahah

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

doesn’t that basically amount to issuing a dividend while telling creditors to get hosed hahah

"What are you going to do - sue me?!" - Man who was sued

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lol at All the statements saying actually everything is good, strong, stable, no problems here

super duper strong and confident on a Sunday afternoon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we are 82 trillion dollars in debt. let’s issue a dividend

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they should hire the baghdad bob guy to do all these statements for them imo its a bit more believable coming from him

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nothus posted:

lol the guys betting on the bonds got owned bigtime

https://twitter.com/CarlosNYT/status/1161831018212540416

i sure hope brandon has clinton's charisma to deal with the effect of a pissed off bond market

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

An ironic Too Big To Fail T shirt would be pretty cool to have. Especially if you had a big rear end gut.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

this except the leak is on the bottom of the giant tank instead of the top

and we're using masking tape

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

FistEnergy posted:

https://twitter.com/jeuasommenulle/status/1637532660493955072?s=20

*chuckles* "You think those are bonds you're holding??"

:agesilaus:

this is very odd, unless the specific bonds had terms that made them like “double get hosed in the event of a water landing” bonds, which I assume is possible since bonds are silly and you can usually add any term you want for another 0.1% return or whatever

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

it would be funny if covid accidentally took out all the type a personality people

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

ok now CS failing is top of the hour on CNN

We did it reddit

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin

turns out this is a massive problem as you enter the later half of extinction

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
looking forward to america becoming a smoldering crater after Trump gets reelected

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

The go getters smartly realized salary is a sham and now work for themselves and contract out their time. My wife and I did that a few years ago and never looked back.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
the (other) big lie

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

So anyway if we are steadily repeating 2008, which country's bank goes bankrupt for our Iceland moment?

Bank of Japan :smugdog:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

How many community and regional banks failures equal an important bank?

Just curious if the infinite insurance for important banks policy will cause enough small banks to implode to cause an actual problem. And how long it might take for that problem to rear its head.

I get that 250k coverage for normal people isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things, but if the FDIC has to pay out enough times, that has to add up to real money at some point, right?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

we are 82 trillion dollars in debt. let’s issue a dividend

Works for the PE/vulture/VC funds... :shrug:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

hell yeah they can and it rules

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

caelxii posted:

The go getters smartly realized salary is a sham and now work for themselves and contract out their time. My wife and I did that a few years ago and never looked back.

Become an entrepreneur! :)

No, not like that! :gonk:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Orvin posted:

How many community and regional banks failures equal an important bank?

Just curious if the infinite insurance for important banks policy will cause enough small banks to implode to cause an actual problem. And how long it might take for that problem to rear its head.

I get that 250k coverage for normal people isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things, but if the FDIC has to pay out enough times, that has to add up to real money at some point, right?

FDIC doesn’t pay like, the size of the bank when it rescues. It just pays the gap between assets and liabilities or just covers a short term cash gap.

tl;dr - this is bad for the knock on effects but it would be fair for the FDIC’s response to your question to be “I can do this all day” (250+ bil assets and credit on hand to cover gaps before emergency funding which it could definitely access)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol never realized until now how clever they were to have a giant tank of water with the hole right near the top instead of at the bottom where all of the pressure is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

coelomate posted:

FDIC doesn’t pay like, the size of the bank when it rescues. It just pays the gap between assets and liabilities or just covers a short term cash gap.

tl;dr - this is bad for the knock on effects but it would be fair for the FDIC’s response to your question to be “I can do this all day” (250+ bil assets and credit on hand to cover gaps before emergency funding which it could definitely access)

Okay, so long as the underlying assets of those regional banks are not complete garbage, at worst the FDIC is floating some loans until those assets are unwound. That’s good to know.

Still can’t be good, and has to be an issue in there somewhere if all the small banks just start dropping like flies. Like having nothing but 4 (or maybe low double digits) banks left in the US can’t be a good thing. But what do I know.