Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i found a great town and i was like i could live here and buy a house and all those real adult things

:co::co::co:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

mastershakeman posted:

I doubt this is normal but my dad's a prepper, has investments in silver, buried gold, Bitcoin, ammo, solar, sheep, and thousands of pounds of lentils (he has river & creek access on the farm as well for water). He's also invited a few dozen locals to the compound including doctors and has plans to block/destroy nearby bridges

my stepdad was into this poo poo too then a wildfire burnt all his poo poo to ashes in 2 hours... a collapsed society has no woodland firefighters so rugged independent off the grid dudes in forests are going to be in for some surprises

Yudo
May 15, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

getting murdered even after an easy $90k down payment on a mortgage that eats 40% of my monthly gross income

edit: non-paywall source https://archive.ph/Sbvpx

makes me rethink wanting to buy at all, even with refinancing being a thing.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol we are going to get our $10,000 judgment from our ex-landlady and then hyperinflation is going to kick in isn't it?

no the judge that shows up will being weirdly specifically biased against you and by some loophole of the 13th amendment you have to
be her little slave and you legally need to change your name to Piggy Piggy and get a big nose ring.

THEN inflation will kick in.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anime was right posted:

it's a change in what I owe. I withheld the same rate as last year

do you have kids?

bc afaik that was the only change in the tax code between 2021 & 2022.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

getting murdered even after an easy $90k down payment on a mortgage that eats 40% of my monthly gross income

Lmao

Oh no.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

do you have kids?

bc afaik that was the only change in the tax code between 2021 & 2022.

it looks like its because my bonus was calculated differently and my company forgot to deduce my taxes on it this year like loving morons. still blaming biden because its fun

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Worried I might not be able to afford a cardboard box to live in in the future.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Yudo posted:

lol a condo of the same size and bedroom/bathroom count as mine would cost at least $1500/mo more a month than my rent currently does

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Shipon posted:

lol a condo of the same size and bedroom/bathroom count as mine would cost at least $1500/mo more a month than my rent currently does

:same:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I sold my stocks right before everything looked like it was going to implode at the very beginning of covid, and then they turned the money printers on full blast and I missed out on one of the biggest bull runs in history and got owned.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If you actually have stocks and trade and stuff you should be careful about doing anything. Anyone selling in early 2020 when the market looked like we were going to have the Big One we had been putting off got loving destroyed by the money printers. You don't want to get psyched up by any one source like this thread. For all we know the government will put out a bill declaring the stock market starts at 100,000. Nothing makes sense anymore.

I'll never forget how one of the prominent eternal optimists elsewhere on these forums told a goon to just put everything 100% all-in on a Vanguard fund and never look at the market again.

He gave this advice in early-mid January 2022.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'll never forget how one of the prominent eternal optimists elsewhere on these forums told a goon to just put everything 100% all-in on a Vanguard fund and never look at the market again.

What do you think Vanguard tracks? The broader Number, and since we know there's no lengths the government won't go to to make sure Number Go Up, he's right.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

for a normie a fund like thats basically your best bet in most cases. even if the economy eats poo poo, youre either all in on capitalism as a whole doing solid and growing forever through weakening wages systemtically (but you still get marginal benefits out of it), or the market eats poo poo and we're all fighting for beans. vanguard will bust and then boom over time, your gains are just less realized than someone else.

theres no way to bet on any other system outside of building community, so might as well invest in the one youve got.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

i mean outside of that being a bad year to just put all your money in im not sure what your point is here

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Shipon posted:

For me it is about + $700/mo (and I'd be going from 1br to 1br), but then I get nice tax write offs for participating in the massive ponzi scheme that is US real estate.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i mean outside of that being a bad year to just put all your money in im not sure what your point is here

My point is the timing of the advice, 1 week off from all-time highs. We're now -20% from that point.

Blah blah "the market always goes up", if you'd bought in at the peaks of the 01 dotcom bubble it would've taken you more than a decade to finally see a return. Much, much longer if you take in account inflation.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

okay now so it with the actual normal human being 5% down LMAO

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

poisonpill posted:

Serious question: uhhh should I sell my stocks

yes (this is legal advice and I am your attorney)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

19 o'clock posted:

Anyone out their loving mind if they are buying now.

High prices + high interest rates.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

err posted:

cash baby

Yudo
May 15, 2003

err posted:

If the money hose is getting turned back on, now isn't such a bad time to buy because prices are about to get much, much worse.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Yudo posted:

If the money hose is getting turned back on, now isn't such a bad time to buy because prices are about to get much, much worse.

its tremendously hard to say whats going to happen because interest rates are probably going up still. companies and cash will be the only buyers. if we experience a crisis thats gonna be a lot of houses on the market.

really comes down to what will interest rates do in 2 years. if trumps pres again theyll probably go to zero

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SKULL.GIF posted:

Blah blah "the market always goes up", if you'd bought in at the peaks of the 01 dotcom bubble it would've taken you more than a decade to finally see a return. Much, much longer if you take in account inflation.

uh huh. and where would you be now

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

uh huh. and where would you be now

To. The. MOON!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1637650202839461889?s=20

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Yudo posted:

For me it is about + $700/mo (and I'd be going from 1br to 1br), but then I get nice tax write offs for participating in the massive ponzi scheme that is US real estate.

you probably wouldnt unless you also have some kids or something to pull you over the standard deduction

maybe now with rates at 10% but doesnt seem like a great tradeoff

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Yudo posted:

everywhere will soon be like nyc where even 5 years ago buying an equivalent place to my apartment only was worth it after 36 years of rent payment, I’ll be dead far before then so renting it is forever

Yudo
May 15, 2003

anime was right posted:

its tremendously hard to say whats going to happen because interest rates are probably going up still. companies and cash will be the only buyers. if we experience a crisis thats gonna be a lot of houses on the market.

really comes down to what will interest rates do in 2 years. if trumps pres again theyll probably go to zero

In a number of areas, homeowners either got or refinanced their mortgage at 2.5%-3%. They can't or won't sell for various reasons, and when they move they turn their old place into rentals. Even if there is a crisis, in the more monied parts of the country I doubt we will see tons of inventory dumped onto the market. I haven't any idea as to the future, but in general we do know one thing: rich people are not allowed to lose.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you probably wouldnt unless you also have some kids or something to pull you over the standard deduction

This is a good point.

Maed posted:

everywhere will soon be like nyc where even 5 years ago buying an equivalent place to my apartment only was worth it after 36 years of rent payment, I’ll be dead far before then so renting it is forever

NYC is loving bonkers so I hope not. I thought Queens still had some "affordable" housing?

Yudo has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Mar 20, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anime was right posted:

it looks like its because my bonus was calculated differently and my company forgot to deduce my taxes on it this year like loving morons. still blaming biden because its fun

:cheers:

yah, I was gonna ask about bonuses if you don't have rugrats.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

and if you live in an expensive state the SALT tax deduction got capped (one of the few good things trump did)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol.

I've had about 2/3 of my ira parked in cash (mainly bc of lassitude) since the beginning of the pandemic & while inflation has eaten into it it's also doing better than the other third.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Shipon posted:

and if you live in an expensive state the SALT tax deduction got capped (one of the few good things trump did)

but then all the states passed SALT cap workarounds. rich people can still deduct their taxes we can all sleep soundly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol at them telling the bondholders to go gently caress themselves.

Such a good move

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

so glad we refinanced <3% and dropped our loan to a 20-year fixed (was 30-fixed) when we could

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Boulder had been “lol gently caress you” amounts of expensive for decades. Its up there with Jackson Hole but Boulder has an actual economy and lots of fancy science companies. Its not a super great comparison to the rest of the country.

I have a 30 year, but I never saw the advantage of limiting those terms down. Cant you just pay it monthly as if it were a 20, but be able to divert money if need be because the payment is less per month in a thirty? And they’ll redo to payment schedule if you go plop like a few thousand extra cash on it.

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin
what happens if millennials never buy a house, ever? what happens to my house then?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

JustFollowingOrder posted:

what happens if millennials never buy a house, ever? what happens to my house then?

is a house a house if no one can afford to live in it? makes u think.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

god buys your house

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Basic Poster posted:

Boulder had been “lol gently caress you” amounts of expensive for decades. Its up there with Jackson Hole but Boulder has an actual economy and lots of fancy science companies. Its not a super great comparison to the rest of the country.

I have a 30 year, but I never saw the advantage of limiting those terms down. Cant you just pay it monthly as if it were a 20, but be able to divert money if need be because the payment is less per month in a thirty? And they’ll redo to payment schedule if you go plop like a few thousand extra cash on it.

boulder's a super nice place and was an isolated island in a sea of suburban sprawl poo poo, but yeah it's been way overpriced relative to rest of CO since like 1999. last chance to get in was probably 2002. CO also turned gently caress-off expensive in a span of like 10 years.

it's very funny how insanely bad jacksons rear end in a top hat is these days. i've been there on and off for over 3 decades and it went from kinda a partially-quiet rural-tourist town with an ok pizza joint to turbo rich-people-play-ground with high-end Gallery's and expensive jewelry high-end art poo poo everwhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

blackrock buys it for pennies on the dollar with cash & turns it into a rental