Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TACD posted:

There was a post / article ages ago talking about how there’s 8(?) rules for telling a mystery story and Disco Elysium proudly and deliberately breaks every single one of them… does anybody remember what I’m talking about?

just from google

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/qh92n9/is_disco_elysium_a_fair_play_mystery_the_game/

https://medium.com/@pjjudge/a-spectre-is-haunting-martinaise-why-i-liked-disco-elysiums-disappointing-ending-5cbb4f335e2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Yeah I find the napping motivation quite weak, especially as it unlocks such an important scene.

I think Kim (or Motorics or whatever) should have called out Harry's leg injury specifically and asked him to sit down a bit to rest his leg. They might even call out how Harry was standing on the boat blasting Sad-FM putting extra unnecessary strain on that leg. And then Harry nods off after sitting down without direct orders from the player.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The ending was absolutely brilliant. You just went through 3 immense dialogue scenes with 3 super pivotal characters (deserter, the cryptid, your partner) with all sorts of tie-ins to what you did in the game. I'm really not sure what needed to be added after a week in revachol. Gun turret sequence where you're shooting down Moralintern/Union airships based on your alignment score as you drive to Jamrock??

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm really not sure what needed to be added after a week in revachol.

Telling Lena about the cryptid. :colbert:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

One of the Mystery story rules is: games should be "apolitical".
Disco Elysium never had a chance.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Count me among the people who complete missed the nap.

I'll hopefully get around to replaying again someday and actually see it first hand instead of just hearing about it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Avalerion posted:

Telling Lena about the cryptid. :colbert:

The heart of the city of revachol beats on, the story is not finished but we don't get to see all of it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I just assumed the nap was in case you needed to heal... That was a very questionable design choice.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I skipped the nap because I was on murderer island and didn't want them to escape/get the jump on me, I always thought that Kim's offer was kind of bizarre.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I just went with the flow and laid my weary head down, but I can totally understand why many people thought they needed to stay awake and alert.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I too skipped the nap for the "i dont need to heal" consideration, as well as it being a bit late and I was pushing to finish out the game, but I probably should have been a bit more suspicious.

It didn't end up being the end of the world since i watched a playthrough and caught the result of that, and it felt sort of fitting for a playthrough where I was trying to help Harry "move on"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i finally finished by first playthrough of the game!

Kim was pleased with me so i can die happy. However he also said i never stop working so next playthrough, i am definitely slacking off more

the game really said 'get stick bugged lol' huh

seeing the conversation here.... i also thought the nap was a healing thing so i also skipped it. poo poo lol

what an incredible game

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 20, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

UP AND ADAM posted:

The ending was absolutely brilliant. You just went through 3 immense dialogue scenes with 3 super pivotal characters (deserter, the cryptid, your partner) with all sorts of tie-ins to what you did in the game. I'm really not sure what needed to be added after a week in revachol. Gun turret sequence where you're shooting down Moralintern/Union airships based on your alignment score as you drive to Jamrock??

It didn't need another climax/conflict, all it needed was a slightly more drawn out denoument, imo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

On the other hand, I feel like Disco is among few games to actually have a denouement, so that was kind of cool alone. (Assuming you view the tribunal as the climax)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That's a climax, but the later encounters are definitely climaxes as well in my opinion. It might be better to think of them as the denouement though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Kim told me to nap, I did it, that settles it. :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"From my playthrough, at least, it wasn’t clear that he even knows who Lely or Klaasje are." That's just flat out unture. The deserter killed Lely because he had a creepy parasocial crush on Klaasje. He used the peephole to spy on her and Lely having sex and killed Lely because he was simultaneously jealous of Lely and resentful and angry at Klaasje because he was sexually attracted to her. It's a perfect mirroring of Harry and his on fixation on his ex-girlfriend and how his delusional fixation on the idea of what she is drives him to do unhealthy and destructive things.

I think the person who wrote this just isn't a very good investigator.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Dora is not a good person, Harry let it go and move on.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I just assumed the nap was in case you needed to heal... That was a very questionable design choice.

I very nearly missed it for that reason, I was expecting a fight so I had full health and morale plus a ton of healing items when I got to the island, but something about Kim’s insistence that I take a nap seemed out of character, so I did it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

KORNOLOGY posted:

Dora is not a good person, Harry let it go and move on.

she’s middle class so it’s obvy time to get on with your life, Harry.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

the escape goat posted:

she’s middle class so it’s obvy time to get on with your life, Harry.

As time goes on, I start to see Harry doesn't actually like her. Otherwise, why dream of her as an extremely distant and hurtful person?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

KORNOLOGY posted:

As time goes on, I start to see Harry doesn't actually like her. Otherwise, why dream of her as an extremely distant and hurtful person?

because he hates himself and feels that it’s what he actually deserves

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

the escape goat posted:

because he hates himself and feels that it’s what he actually deserves

I have to believe, if just for myself, there's more to it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

KORNOLOGY posted:

because the last time he saw her in person she was leaving him and it hurt more than anything in the world. honestly dora is shockingly patient with harry when he calls her at 4AM on a worknight, a call he's made so many times that it's burnt into his muscle memory

dora is a normal human being who had a complicated relationship with harry and imo it is extremely missing the point to try and villainize her

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

dmboogie posted:

because the last time he saw her in person she was leaving him and it hurt more than anything in the world. honestly dora is shockingly patient with harry when he calls her at 4AM on a worknight, a call he's made so many times that it's burnt into his muscle memory

dora is a normal human being who had a complicated relationship with harry and imo it is extremely missing the point to try and villainize her

What I meant is Dora changed up and wanted a stable, conventional life with a man who doesn't call at 4 am randomly. She's a villain because she left him over money and substance abuse issues. She was originally so young.

She is middle class to the end.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I am responding from Harry's pov, whereas Dora has obviously moved on. Which hurts, a lot.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"From my playthrough, at least, it wasn’t clear that he even knows who Lely or Klaasje are." That's just flat out unture. The deserter killed Lely because he had a creepy parasocial crush on Klaasje. He used the peephole to spy on her and Lely having sex and killed Lely because he was simultaneously jealous of Lely and resentful and angry at Klaasje because he was sexually attracted to her. It's a perfect mirroring of Harry and his on fixation on his ex-girlfriend and how his delusional fixation on the idea of what she is drives him to do unhealthy and destructive things.

I think the person who wrote this just isn't a very good investigator.

The political analysis at the end of that Medium post is also pretty bad. This is pretty much not true:

quote:

And I mean “dominated.” There is no room for any other ideology. There are no political partisans in this play. Disco Elysium does not hint at an impending revolution. There’s a labor dispute, but there’s no indication that this dispute will boil over into anything but more violence within Martinaise. The residents of Revachol are resigned to the totality of the Moralintern.

The author seems mostly fixated on the failed revolution, without considering the game's (I think) pretty clear message that despite failure it's worth trying again and working toward a better future, because (as he notes) the alternative is total resignation. Weird to have a Mark Fisher pull quote in the middle of that section then complete miss Fisher's point.

Also as I type this I noticed the post is from 2019, pre-Final Cut, so maybe it makes a little more sense in that context.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KORNOLOGY posted:

it’s called a madonna/whore complex

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

these aren't very good, this article rules though

https://alastairhadden.medium.com/a-storm-is-blowing-from-paradise-disco-elysium-on-the-past-and-present-e2fff5d629be

Part 3 includes a dissection of the 'rules of detective fiction'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I still don't think that makes any sense, there's still major labour action in the city and the RCM preparing for a second revolution, it's depicted as a very politically febrile environment

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 20, 2023

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

No Dignity posted:

I still don't think that makes any sense, there's still major labour action in the city and the RCM preparing for a second revolution, it's depicted as a very political febrile environment

yeah even before the Final Cut you could get a whole lot of information about the pending 'Return' if you followed the right lines of investigation. it even adds more text to the epilogue if you know about it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

OK so I took the nap and I don't understand what that was at all

But I also didn't dig into the ex wife stuff at all because I thought going down that path would run out the clock with how much conversation it'd entail

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Harry is a romantic in all things, including the pending revolution. His bosses even say so.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

But I also didn't dig into the ex wife stuff at all because I thought going down that path would run out the clock with how much conversation it'd entail

run out what clock

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
My first play through I legitimately thought the clock was real.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
DE does not punish you for pursuing all of its content.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I didn't pursue the wife content because it seemed like an unhealthy fixation :)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love DE because rarely do I think "am I gonna get EXP or money for this", the reward for talking to people is more talking.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

I didn’t pursue the wife content because my good friend inland empire told me to stay away from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Pursuing the ex-wife part can get you an early bad end game over, though, so it's not unwarranted to be leery of it.