Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I thought Ukraine has already said civilian casualties are on the order of 120k or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

I think a lot of people are seriously underestimating how many civilian casualties there have been so far in the war. The UN number for killed civilians directly attributable to the conflict is already 8k+, which is IIRC roughly in the same ballpark as for the Iraq invasion in the first year. The actual number is of course substantially higher, but for Ukraine we won't know it until a peace agreement and the occupied territories have been liberated.

At the beginning of the war I had an argument with a tankie about how there is no way the number is going to be that high because Russia is much more restrained about using weapons against its "own people". Then Mariupol happened. It was a city of 500k people and the Russian army just paved it with artillery with zero hesitation or consideration for civilian lives. That really shut him up. Now it's on to "why would NATO force Russia to annihilate a city of 500k?:qq:"

I honestly dread what we'll find out the day Mariupol is recaptured. We already know that the cemeteries and burial sites in and around the city have been expanding and expanding, and that Russians have been knocking down buildings with bodies still in them. poo poo was horrible enough in the recaptured part of Kharkiv oblast already, with one soldier having reportedly said that nearly every village had its own little Izyum.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

I thought Ukraine has already said civilian casualties are on the order of 120k or so?

Their chief prosecutor said it in February of this year.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-war-anniversary-war-crimes-b2288037.html

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Christ. I dont know why they're not using the ukrainian estimates. They're in the best place to report on it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

Interestingly, Prigozhin seems to have been hacked. He seems to be conducting tax evasion and LOL, ordering Wagner candidates to undergo polygraphs to ascertain war enthusiasm and whether or not recruits have ties to the FSB. The last bit is especially interesting to me.

What?????? Tax evasion?????

I am Shocked!!!! Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!

This man should be putin prison.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Currently watching Noble11 draw the weirdest dick over Sweden:

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=ae5891

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1637767645255671808
Sore losers.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

What?????? Tax evasion?????

I am Shocked!!!! Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!

This man should be putin prison.

As with all putin cronies who fall out of favour he's more likely going to tragically die of "natural causes" (shoot self in back 13 times, before stabbing self with poisoned umbrella before tragically falling out of a window). Tragically like all natural cause deaths in russia, theyre very contagious if you investigate them.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637734117759504384
Seems like the reduction in attacks happening recently around Bakhmut was in preparation for another all out assault.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

Christ. I dont know why they're not using the ukrainian estimates. They're in the best place to report on it.

Ukraine is technically kind of a biased source, Russia isn't forthcoming with a secondary claim on incidents for obvious reasons, and also Russia is absolutely willing to just carpet strike easy targets--something a war crimes investigation team would be considered--which means investigation teams aren't going in, so a default to the smallest confirmed number is the unfortunate result. It's not uncommon that an attacking army is not exactly forthcoming with their "whoopsiedoodles" that dwarf war casualties, but those numbers usually come out later, when people asking questions don't have to worry about being caught in crossfire.

The reason that this is as big as/bigger than all the heinous poo poo the U.S. did isn't the numbers, it's the active malice behind it. It's as if Abu Ghraib was out in the open instead of behind prison walls, and to a larger scale.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1637785633627295746
Another smoking accident happened on occupied territory.

Seems it was warehouses according to some telegram users

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1637732904317906944
And surprising nobody it was just that collection of FSO fake audience that were there with Putler's double on that day.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lmao
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637396406276177920?s=20

bringing back potemkin villages. The Soviet Union lives!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1637798396646899714
:frogout: no normalization, no exports, until you piss off back home, dig?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1637798396646899714
:frogout: no normalization, no exports, until you piss off back home, dig?

So why again don't we just destroy their black sea fleet and be done with this nonsense?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

So why again don't we just destroy their black sea fleet and be done with this nonsense?

Ukraine has gently caress all navy

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Im trying, its hard

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Unless by 'we' you mean 'ukraine' it's for a very obvious reason

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Alan Smithee posted:

lmao
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637396406276177920?s=20

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1637732904317906944
And surprising nobody it was just that collection of FSO fake audience that were there with Putler's double on that day.

Interesting theory: the fso arent there as security. They are double handlers that make sure the prick actor doesnt do a runner.

Maybe putin really is in an eagles nest situation making GBS threads on gold toilets forever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

Unless by 'we' you mean 'ukraine' it's for a very obvious reason

I mean whoever sank the Moskva :nsa:

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

BrassRoots posted:

Interesting theory: the fso arent there as security. They are double handlers that make sure the prick actor doesnt do a runner.

Maybe putin really is in an eagles nest situation making GBS threads on gold toilets forever.

how do they make them stick to the script and not just do some clever bad impro?

actor doubles are, while plausible, just too expensive to maintain for some cheap gently caress like putin.

he's probably just jealous of zelensky and needs to make a show of:
'Look I can go to "frontline" too!'

Pajser fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 20, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

Who let Putin use the upstairs toilet?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pajser posted:

how do they make them stick to the script and not just do some clever bad impro?

actor doubles are, while plausible, just too expensive to maintain for some cheap gently caress like putin.

he's probably just jealous of zelensky and needs to make a show of:
'Look I can go to "frontline" too!'

I mean Putin is supposed to unofficially be the richest man in the world, the kind of money needed to maintain even a small stable of poor buggers to impersonate him would be nothing compared to what he supposedly has salted away.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Norwegian factchecker Faktisk.no has gone through Hersh' claims about Norwegian involvment in the Nordstream bombing. Here are some DeepL translated excerpts. Bolding original. https://www.faktisk.no/artikler/zw8np/flere-feil-om-norsk-innblanding-i-nord-stream-sabotasjen

quote:

More errors

None of the claims of Norwegian involvement have been confirmed. Several details can be denied, while some of what he writes is very unlikely.

Among other things, Hersh mentions Norwegian naval bases that do not exist and ships that are believed to have been in Norway during the period in question. He also writes that Jens Stoltenberg was already as a teenager a trusted source for American intelligence.

Ship data, satellite images and documentation that Faktisk.no has reviewed show, among other things, that:

None of the Norwegian minesweepers of the Alta class participated in the NATO exercise in the Baltic Sea.
Satellite images confirm that one of the vessels was at Haakonsvern naval base three days after BALTOPS 22 had started.
Satellite imagery, ship data and photos strongly suggest that the other vessel was undergoing maintenance at the Umoe shipyard.
A minehunting vessel of the Oksøy class was in the Baltic Sea. The vessel has shared positional data regularly throughout the exercise and, according to these, has not stayed above the leakage points. Satellite imagery confirms several of the positions and that the vessel was in the vicinity of other ships during the exercise.
The Norwegian P-8A Poseidon aircraft were not operational at the time Hersh writes that such an aircraft was on a "routine flight" over the Baltic Sea. Avinor states to Faktisk.no that no P-8 aircraft took off from Evenes airport on September 25 or 26. It must also be assumed that the plane would have been visible on the radars of several countries monitoring the airspace over the Baltic Sea.

Faktisk.no has contacted Seymour Hersh for comments on the article. The American's short answer is that "my comments are in my articles".

quote:

Stoltenberg trusted intelligence source in his teens?

One of the details many Norwegian readers may have been puzzled by in Hersh's article is the section where he explains why Norway was the perfect partner for the US.

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg is described as a dedicated anti-communist who has been a trusted source of American intelligence ever since the Vietnam War.

The Vietnam War took place in the years 1957-1975. Born on March 16, 1959, Jens Stoltenberg was a teenager when the war ended.

quote:

Hersh has also published a map showing Norwegian naval bases at Evenes, Sola and Rygge, and air bases in Tromsø and Ramsund. Hersh clarifies that the map "is not accurate". That is an understatement.
Hersh has published a rather strange map of Norwegian naval and air bases. Screenshot:How America Took Out The Nord Stream, Seymour Hersh

The map places naval bases at Rygge, Sola and Evenes, but the correct information is that these are air bases. The naval station Ramsund has become an air base.

The Navy's main base Haakonsvern outside Bergen, one of Northern Europe's largest maritime military bases, is not on the map at all.

TL;DR: Hersh is full of poo poo, water is wet etc.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tigey posted:

Who let Putin use the upstairs toilet?

Nobody, that’s not a picture of his pants either so idk who the legend is that did that upper-decker :stare:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oh I know all about this poo poo. This poo poo will drop from the ceiling and stab your fridge through your head and your milk quart. Don't like this one bit.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Its even possible that Finn or Swede domestic terrorists blew up the pipeline.

Because it seems to be an exploding pig, according to the debris field, nothing is off the table. Maybe europe is different but i know places where if you want access to a pipeline it aint that hard. And generally if it is a larger facility, somewhere remote for safety and enviro concerns,, the security patrol is less because noone goes there anyway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Joe was seen yelling OK PULL IT on a phone call minutes before the pipeline blew

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Runa posted:

saying war bad in Russia is incredibly brave

It is, and they have my respect. It's got to be incredibly hard being in the opposition in Russia, and we should be doing what we can to give them voices and resources.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BrassRoots posted:

Because it seems to be an exploding pig, according to the debris field, nothing is off the table. Maybe europe is different but i know places where if you want access to a pipeline it aint that hard. And generally if it is a larger facility, somewhere remote for safety and enviro concerns,, the security patrol is less because noone goes there anyway.

How would that work? Isn't it only possible to insert the pig at the terminals?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Swedish domestic terrorists be like bork bork bork stora badaboom Inga Putin ja ja OCH bork

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1637811756536922117
Britain signed a trading deal with Ukraine.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Joe was seen yelling OK PULL IT on a phone call minutes before the pipeline blew

I thought it was weird how Joe was caught in 4K listening to P.O.D.'s "Boom" on his earbuds while riding his bike on that day... hmmm :raise:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BrassRoots posted:

Impossible. it happened within international waters against a third-party target, so they would be international terrorists.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
is it basically like they're in a tiny EU? it sounds like they made themselves a tiny EU

UK crawling back to the EU one nation at a time

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

I thought it was weird how Joe was caught in 4K listening to P.O.D.'s "Boom" on his earbuds while riding his bike on that day... hmmm :raise:

Listen here Jack, you saw nothing and heard nothing if someone asked, now here's an ice cream cone on the Presidential dime, enjoy

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

is it basically like they're in a tiny EU? it sounds like they made themselves a tiny EU

UK crawling back to the EU one nation at a time

Baby steps

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

fish and chips and dip posted:

Norwegian factchecker Faktisk.no has gone through Hersh' claims about Norwegian involvment in the Nordstream bombing. Here are some DeepL translated excerpts. Bolding original. https://www.faktisk.no/artikler/zw8np/flere-feil-om-norsk-innblanding-i-nord-stream-sabotasjen

TL;DR: Hersh is full of poo poo, water is wet etc.

Norway was such a weird choice by whoever came up with the story. It's such a liberal, bougie and terminally technocratic state that it's hard to imagine it being involved in the largest mega conspiracy in generations. Poland or maybe even the UK? Sure. But loving Norway?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pooh Bear arrives in Moscow and this poo poo is on sale in the streets:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Pooh Bear arrives in Moscow and this poo poo is on sale in the streets:

lmao

fwiw the cosmonaut one isn't that bad, if a bit tacky