Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The problem with a minimum wage is that no matter how high you raise it, they're going to raise the prices of everything to match; who cares if you're earning $5000 a month if your cost of living is $4999?

As opposed to now, when the cost of living is surging without wages rising to match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The problem with a minimum wage is that no matter how high you raise it, they're going to raise the prices of everything to match; who cares if you're earning $5000 a month if your cost of living is $4999?

That's why I say we should lower the minimum wage so the prices go down. That's how it works.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ben shapino posted:

That's why I say we should lower the minimum wage so the prices go down. That's how it works.

u/p combo delight

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If we lower the minimum wage to zero then the prices of everything goes to zero. Boom, communist utopia.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Do you actually believe this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t read that as “higher minimum wage necessarily causes prices to rise” but “if capital discovers that people have more money, they will increase prices to take advantage of it”. I find the latter plausible, but it’s not a reason to keep an inhumane minimum wage in place.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Eat all billionaires

let their flesh trickle down to the masses

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t read that as “higher minimum wage necessarily causes prices to rise” but “if capital discovers that people have more money, they will increase prices to take advantage of it”. I find the latter plausible, but it’s not a reason to keep an inhumane minimum wage in place.

If they increase the prices too quickly, middle class people might stop buying things, so that's bad.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How is he even arguing he "needs" any money at this point. He lost his civil suit, he should have every cent garnished from any earnings he makes until it's paid off. Maybe a portion of it can go to any under 18 kids and wife for welfare, but for himself he should be on the streets or living with whatever friends will take him. This is a problem he created, not the governments.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Philthy posted:

How is he even arguing he "needs" any money at this point. He lost his civil suit, he should have every cent garnished from any earnings he makes until it's paid off. Maybe a portion of it can go to any under 18 kids and wife for welfare, but for himself he should be on the streets or living with whatever friends will take him. This is a problem he created, not the governments.

Have you not seen the insane amount of deference that rich people receive vs poor people whenever the law gets involved?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When you lose a civil judgment the goal isn't to make you a pauper and there's often a max limit to how much your wages and such can be garnished. Like, it works the opposite way too, if you're being sued for a consumer debt and you make like $25k a year, many jurisdictions won't take more than 10% of your gross wages. For someone that poor, that's pretty devastating because every single dollar counts, but in principle these actions are not out to break people.

Jones should be allotted only enough take home money to fund a used Honda Civic for his commute and a one-bedroom apartment, but the court isn't going to throw him on the street.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

For those not paying attention to the what's going on in Alex's legal world, he's encountering the same kind of problems in bankruptcy court that he did in civil court; he's not turning over discovery. Filing for bankruptcy involves, among other things, giving the court and the creditors an accurate assessment of the assets in question. Shocking no one, when the bankruptcy court has asked basic questions like "you own this company, how much is it worth", they get answers like "I don't know".

The latest showdown was a few days ago, documented by Morgan Stringer
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1633546704220815362
tl;dr it's not looking good. His next court date is on the 30th. After that, assuming he hasn't turn over accurate information about his finances (I think this is a safe assumption) then things like "dismissing the bankruptcy and charging Alex with fraud" are on the table

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are a lot of complicating factors here. There's usually a cap on how much your wages can be garnished for bankruptcy or civil suits, and at least in Canada that amount is typically something like 50% above a certain "untouchable" amount (varies based on factors like marital status and number of dependents), but there are a lot of variables at play that I think can potentially raise this percentage, including the egregiousness of his actions that got him sued in the first place (there are different "degrees" of civil suits in this respect, like two civil suits for the same amount can be handled differently depending on if one of them was at least plausibly the result of an honest mistake that the sued party appears to be showing some degree of contrition and corrective action for, and one where it's because the sued party was acting maliciously and told the court to go gently caress itself). I also think there's the rub that the thing that can hurt Alex Jones isn't so much his wages being garnished, but his ability to earn wages at all, since the courts know he's got a whole shell game with Free Speech Systems LLC and other entities and those can effectively be shut down. Alex and his lawyers are pretty much throwing poo poo at the wall so Alex can squirrel away some amount of money to continue living large and not have to shut his show down. The courts are largely wise to these sorts of shenanigans, but there are likely some "absolute" laws at play that guarantees a certain amount of Alex's earnings are untouchable and that amount might be more than people would consider fair. Depending on the laws at play, it's not impossible for a situation where Alex goes from earning $1 million a year to $500k a year, for example, and for that to be effectively unincreasable due to legal protections to debtors. But I think a bigger situation is the fact that the earnings of Free Speech Systems LLC itself can be hamstrung harder (companies that go bankrupt can usually be hit harder) and that would cause Alex's earnings to drop much more sharply. And, of course, if he tries to pull some illegal asset-hiding poo poo he could wind up in prison, so there's that.

As alluded to above, a company not knowing what it's worth is a pretty massive red flag and not one that passes muster in a bankruptcy court.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 13, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

univbee posted:

And, of course, if he tries to pull some illegal asset-hiding poo poo he could wind up in prison, so there's that.

That's what I'm betting on. He's going to be caught red-handed in some idiot scheme to hide his money and end up in prison that way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

kw0134 posted:

When you lose a civil judgment the goal isn't to make you a pauper and there's often a max limit to how much your wages and such can be garnished.

Is intent not part of the process? Like, if it's a medical bill and the hospital wants it's money, that wasn't something the person could have any control over. So, the garnish would allow leeway for the person to still be able to live while some of his wages are taken to pay it off, and likely, never to be paid off before they die. With people like Alex, they maliciously went after these peoples dead children, spewed lies knowingly, and racked up many improper motions within the court case itself. Maliciousness should be able to force him to live off the streets broke as poo poo and living out of a cardboard box.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Only insofar as certain debts can't be discharged. If this was a normal bankruptcy with things like CC debt, he'd get a discharge and be free and clear. Intentional torts are not dischargable (11 USC §523(a)(6)) so the fact he intentionally caused the harm means he's still on the hook for it even if he goes through the entire bankruptcy process. Beyond that, you want to basically treat the civil procedure as a criminal proceeding and that's not how that works.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

armpit_enjoyer posted:

shut up

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The screwy part of it being a % of income is that the lies about sandy hook were being told because he was making money off of it.

So if slandering someone increases your income at time of the court decision by more than double, you still made a net profit after the court garnished half your wages?

That doesn’t sound like how it should work, but it’s not like there’s a lack of corporate bad actors netting massive profits for violations then coming out ahead after paying a slap on the wrist fine for it either.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

yook posted:

The screwy part of it being a % of income is that the lies about sandy hook were being told because he was making money off of it.

So if slandering someone increases your income at time of the court decision by more than double, you still made a net profit after the court garnished half your wages?

That doesn’t sound like how it should work, but it’s not like there’s a lack of corporate bad actors netting massive profits for violations then coming out ahead after paying a slap on the wrist fine for it either.

No, because slandering someone is probably not doubling your base salary, and because creditors can seize your assets in addition to cash, and because the plaintiff can raise evidence that you slandered them to make money and have those profits factored into the size of the verdict, and because it's not a flat percentage of income, and because the court isn't going to increase his salary back to $500k (the amount he was paying himself before the bankruptcy)

Seriously, folks. The court isn't going to literally render Jones homeless, but he's not going to live a life of luxury now that he owes roughly a billion dollars and has pissed off the bankruptcy judge.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

No, because slandering someone is probably not doubling your base salary, and because creditors can seize your assets in addition to cash, and because the plaintiff can raise evidence that you slandered them to make money and have those profits factored into the size of the verdict, and because it's not a flat percentage of income, and because the court isn't going to increase his salary back to $500k (the amount he was paying himself before the bankruptcy)

Seriously, folks. The court isn't going to literally render Jones homeless, but he's not going to live a life of luxury now that he owes roughly a billion dollars and has pissed off the bankruptcy judge.

To be fair it's not an entirely irrational approach to have that as the default outcome expectation in this country. It is the default outcome for the wealthy in this country. Jones is just such a god awfully stupid belligerent rear end in a top hat he's not letting himself have the normal protections afforded to that class.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

bird food bathtub posted:

To be fair it's not an entirely irrational approach to have that as the default outcome expectation in this country. It is the default outcome for the wealthy in this country. Jones is just such a god awfully stupid belligerent rear end in a top hat he's not letting himself have the normal protections afforded to that class.

Yeah, there are a lot of ways that Alex could have made things easier and gotten a relative slap on the wrist, but he just kept insisting on making things worse, either because he thought he knew better, because he thought he deserved better, or because he thought he was untouchable.

Edit: and I mean relative when compared to what actually happened.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 13, 2023

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No, because you're still on the hook for the whole sum. There's no realistic chance of him paying off the full billion and half (or so) (so far) so the general goal would be to seize everything the court can that isn't protected by statute and work out a payment plan for the rest. Note too that judgments also carry interest if you can't pay the whole thing up front, so the interest alone will bankrupt him multiple times.

The real questions are what is a protected asset under bankruptcy, and how much the court gets to take away from him in the future. Without bankruptcy it'd be reduced to simply the max levy allowable by law that a court can order be seized in satisfaction of the judgment, and often that's enough to not leaving him living in a cardboard box eating the cat food someone left out for the feral colony down the street. There's a floor but it's often pretty low.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Alex Jones should be required to move into Lowtax's last rental house and live off a stipend that's only good enough to let him keep his pantry stocked from Dollar General, until such a point that he personally earns & pays off the verdict money.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

5er posted:

Alex Jones should be required to move into Lowtax's last rental house and live off a stipend that's only good enough to let him keep his pantry stocked from Dollar General, until such a point that he personally earns & pays off the verdict money.

Think of how much chili he could buy!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Blue Moonlight posted:

Think of how much chili he could buy!

Such good chili, he'd forget he ever lost money!

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

mojo1701a posted:

Such good chili, he'd forget he ever lost money!

“And that’s how I ended up destitute in a back alley, can of dollar store chili in hand, realizing I’d hit rock bottom your honor….

…anyway it’s a shame the government pretended to kill all those kids”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Philthy posted:

Is intent not part of the process? Like, if it's a medical bill and the hospital wants it's money, that wasn't something the person could have any control over. So, the garnish would allow leeway for the person to still be able to live while some of his wages are taken to pay it off, and likely, never to be paid off before they die. With people like Alex, they maliciously went after these peoples dead children, spewed lies knowingly, and racked up many improper motions within the court case itself. Maliciousness should be able to force him to live off the streets broke as poo poo and living out of a cardboard box.

Unlike the criminal justice system the point isn't to ruin them.

The point of a bankruptcy is to make the creditors as whole as possible while allowing the bankrupt person to continue to exist in society and eventually start over. If you take home 0% of your wages there is no incentive to keep going to work, and then the plaintiffs get nothing. If your wages are so low that you can't afford a place to live and work clothes and whatnot you will become unemployable and then the plaintiffs get nothing.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

ben shapino posted:

Lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Is there anything new in the recent article over the last couple days about Jones trying to squirrel money away?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
This was news to me:

quote:

Earlier this month, Mr. Jones offered to pay the families and his other creditors a total of $43 million over five years as part of a bankruptcy plan, which lawyers for the families immediately dismissed as laughable and riddled with financial holes. The judge ordered Mr. Jones to fill in the gaps in his financial disclosures by the end of the month.

And this is just funny:

quote:

Last month, Mr. Jones’s lawyers submitted a statement of his personal financial affairs prefaced by five pages of disclaimers saying that Mr. Jones did not fully remember where he holds bank accounts, how many trusts he had set up over the past decade and the whereabouts of his 2022 W-2 form documenting his wages. He has not filed a federal income tax return since 2020.

If you’re already familiar with his corporate obfuscations and weird financial stuff then the rest of the article is retreading things you may already know.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Of course he hasn't paid his taxes. But will there be anything left after this for the irs to go after him for?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably not a huge amount, but it's another point for the "this man cannot be trusted to properly look after a single penny of his money" camp.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

loving around with the IRS means even more liens, and unlike other civil judgments or judgment-like attachments the Fed gov't doesn't gently caress around when it wants its money.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Last month, Mr. Jones’s lawyers submitted a statement of his personal financial affairs prefaced by five pages of disclaimers saying that Mr. Jones did not fully remember where he holds bank accounts, how many trusts he had set up over the past decade and the whereabouts of his 2022 W-2 form documenting his wages. He has not filed a federal income tax return since 2020.

lol yeah he's turbofucked if the IRS gets involved, none of this comes remotely close to being a valid excuse and the only way it becomes their problem to untangle is in a way where Alex is behind bars.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ate a big bowl of chili and forgot, uh, where all the money I owe you is

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Ate a big bowl of chili and forgot, uh, where all the money I owe you is

Good news! We have a secure, guarded room to help you chili detox, and where you can spend as much time as you need remembering. Also here's an orange outfit, the colors help you remember too.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

kw0134 posted:

loving around with the IRS means even more liens, and unlike other civil judgments or judgment-like attachments the Fed gov't doesn't gently caress around when it wants its money.

If he ends up in an orange jumpsuit because the IRS to audited him because of this bankruptcy , I might become the first person to laugh themselves to death.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I would like to live in a universe where Alex Jones is actually sent to jail, just like any of us would be if we acted that way in court.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In a civil case it's very, very rare to go to jail for stuff like perjury, and criminal contempt is rarely invoked in general. Most of us wouldn't immediately lose the case while we're actively litigating it because we're that much of an rear end in a top hat, but Jones managed to do it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kw0134 posted:

In a civil case it's very, very rare to go to jail for stuff like perjury, and criminal contempt is rarely invoked in general. Most of us wouldn't immediately lose the case while we're actively litigating it because we're that much of an rear end in a top hat, but Jones managed to do it twice.

Just out of curiosity, what's the minimum someone could do during a civil case that would get them tossed in the hoosegow? They obviously would arrest you if you did something that's a no-poo poo dangerous crime in the courthouse, but there must be something besides that.

No reason, I'm just vaguely curious.