Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

TotalLossBrain posted:

I bought this Gold Foil Jazzmaster today

Good God that's a beautiful guitar.

Jazzmaster, gold foils, bigsby. Chef's kiss.

I really want to buy a Mexican telecaster and use it as a modification machine. Bigsby, but then gently caress around with single, gold foil, filtertrons or some combo of two of them. I just really want a sparkly body with a binding.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Fender offsets really are my favorites. My Bass vi is my coolest guitar by far

Oh I also grabbed a tenor uke from musicians friends stupid deal of the day last week. I now have a concert, a tenor, a baritone, and a Uke Bass.

I need a tiny drum set, and a tiny piano now, I guess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mini bongos and a stylophone :colbert:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Mini bongos and a stylophone :colbert:

Got the stylophone covered

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Armacham posted:

Fender offsets really are my favorites. My Bass vi is my coolest guitar by far

I had one but didn’t bond with it at the time, but I didn’t play bass back then and was poo poo at guitar. I play bass fairly well now but still suck at guitar :sweatdrop:

Dropped this in the Guitar chat thread. Turned a Bronco into a baritone Bronco guitar and it’s one of my favourites for the weirdness of it now. Tuned A# to A# on 14-68 strings.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Armacham posted:

Fender offsets really are my favorites.

Somehow that's what I keep buying, I've got two other weird offsets

I didn't go to the store specifically for this Jazzmaster. I was actually looking for a White Falcon, maybe. They couldn't find that one and I certainly wasn't buying the $11k custom shop one they did have.
I played around with a Les Paul Standard, this JM, and a Player Strat though I settled on the JM almost immediately. I wanted to like the LP but it just didn't click. It was a very smooth playing guitar though

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Not the stupidest thing I've impulse bought at 3am while high, but probably the most expensive (so far)

Found on sale. BNIB. Needs a string change and bit of a setup, but it's growing on me already. Black pickguard has to go though

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

That's hot. Are you thinking tortoiseshell or something else?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Armacham posted:

That's hot. Are you thinking tortoiseshell or something else?

I bought some weird koi fish pick guard thing from the US:

and if I don't like it I'm going to swap it with a plain white one. Knobs/pickup covers may also change to white, but might leave them black to tie in to the fretboard black dots. We'll see. I'm trying to bring out the red in the body, and I think the black pickguard is making the whole guitar look darker than it actually is. I basically bought the thing on sale while (very) high because I vaguely wanted a plasma red burst/sienna burst strat but hard tail and didn't want to pay $3000+ AUD for a plasma burst ultra strat. So I thought I could buy this sale lead III which has the red (ish) burst body with maple/neck fingerboard AND hard tail/string thru body like a tele for less than 1/3rd the price, and drop my loaded noiseless pickup strat pick guard from my meme Avocadocaster and gotoh locking tuners on it.

High me didn't realize that a Lead III and Strat do NOT have the same body type so I can't do so without a custom pick guard and some body re-routing. durrrrrrrrrrrr

So I've got some choices:

Keep it and sell another guitar (I have a strict one in, one or more out policy)
Sell it and eat whatever loss happens (probably not too bad since I got it heavily discounted to start with).

I kinda need to decide on that point first because I feel I have to mostly like it stock (pickguard colour excepted) before I keep it because modding it to amuse me isn't going to help the value even if I put premium parts on it. If I do commit to keeping it then the next step is how far I'm going to fiddle with it. The stock tuners don't bother me but if the gotohs can be installed without it being a huge hassle then I'll do it because they're just better all round and also staggered posts so I might be able to reduce/do away with the ugly rear end string trees it comes with. As for whether I'll go to the trouble of trying to swap in strat electronics - unknown. I've played it stock and I like the pickups more than I thought I would. The feel of the guitar is growing on me pretty quickly as well. I may decide its not worth the hassle if I like the stock sound.

Most likely outcome at this stage:

Keep it, change the pickguard. Play it for a while and then decide to either mod further (gotohs are not a drop in and would require some drilling into the headstock) or sell it. If I keep it, then I'll eventually do the Gotohs and the strat pickup drop in becomes a mini project for some undetermined point in the future. I'll sell a couple of other guitars to balance it out. It'll take a few weeks for the pickguards I ordered to get to me so I'll have plenty of time to get a feel for whether I like it or not. Early signs are encouraging as the only things I don't really like about it are the garbage strings and dirty frets and pickguard. I think this thing has been sitting in a box for quite some time (edit: serial number says it's a Dec 2019 make, so yeah) so a basic setup should do wonders and solve the parts I don't like.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 16, 2023

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I feel like I'm too easily distracted to make music on my computer so I've decided to try a standalone setup.

haven't had time to do anything besides unbox it yet but I'm looking forward to digging into it this weekend.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm interested in something like that. I'm interested in messing around with electronic music but I find loving with DAWs and VSTs just exhausting.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I like it, but the more I look at it and what I've got on hand I'm increasingly thinking I'm probably going to sell this, my RG421 and Tele and get a Noventa strat.

Rg421 and tele for reference

I like the lead, but I think the body is just a tiny bit too small given I'm used to accoustic bodies, and a strat body is slightly bigger. A noventa strat gets me a hardtail actual strat body I can drop my single coil pickguard into if I want to, and from what I've heard the P90s it comes with seem to be what I'm looking for anyway. I'll probably hold onto the lead for a while so I can do a direct comparison with a noventa, but I think I know what I'm looking for now.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 19, 2023

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BDA posted:

I feel like I'm too easily distracted to make music on my computer so I've decided to try a standalone setup.

haven't had time to do anything besides unbox it yet but I'm looking forward to digging into it this weekend.

Woo!

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Picked up a Slate Raven recently for a decent price.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Taiga, Blon b20 cans, Bitbox Micro all new since last pics.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Picked up a Slate Raven recently for a decent price.

Wow! That is really cool and I am jealous.

Would you do a quick review?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

JeffLeonard posted:

Wow! That is really cool and I am jealous.

Would you do a quick review?
I will after I get the drivers and such updated and the license set up. As of right now, I'm running it on osx and gestures are working with the old version of the touchbase driver. Workflow with a ultrawide above it makes for a nice mixing experience. Using a Motu 828 mk2 and Kali LP6"s for monitoring. So everything is sounding great. Haven't updated protools yet either, been busy setting up my buddies analog system at the same time.
So far I'm happy with it for being a overpriced 1080p panel.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I bought this Gold Foil Jazzmaster today

I'd just like to say that I've never been into Jazzmasters much at all, but that looks fantastic. Congrats!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Made some progress on my looper setup; got some wall mounts for guitars, have the new electronic drum set in the corner.

Just need an interface for the laptop, some cables, and a stand for my APC40, then I can do full-fledged recording in the room. Right now my recording setup is in another room so I haven’t been able to try the electronic kit with drum VSTs, but I figure instead of moving it I’ll just set up a second.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looks great! All my gear is scattered over two bedrooms and a large living room on two levels

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Monoprice was blowing out some of their "Stage Right" amps last week and picked up this 30W 1x12 setup for kinda cheap. I got this for home use to replace a Mesa DC-3 that's a pile of garbage, hopefully this is more reliable. It is quite a bit bigger than I expected though.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

TotalLossBrain posted:

Looks great! All my gear is scattered over two bedrooms and a large living room on two levels

I have an acoustic and a small Peavey amp over by my TV on top of the two rooms of looping/recording stuff. Honestly pretty cool, I can do serious client work, but also jam and just relax and there’s minimal overlap so I don’t feel too pressured. The place is too small to really nail it, but I’ve managed to carve some nice music spots!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the blue 8 string looks really familiar but i can't put a name to it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Slothful Bong posted:

Made some progress on my looper setup; got some wall mounts for guitars, have the new electronic drum set in the corner.

Just need an interface for the laptop, some cables, and a stand for my APC40, then I can do full-fledged recording in the room. Right now my recording setup is in another room so I haven’t been able to try the electronic kit with drum VSTs, but I figure instead of moving it I’ll just set up a second.

Yeah this is sweet! Hoping I can get a similar thing going if we move to a bigger place in the future.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

DrChu posted:

Monoprice was blowing out some of their "Stage Right" amps last week and picked up this 30W 1x12 setup for kinda cheap. I got this for home use to replace a Mesa DC-3 that's a pile of garbage, hopefully this is more reliable. It is quite a bit bigger than I expected though.

I love my 15 w. That thing should rip.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

muike posted:

the blue 8 string looks really familiar but i can't put a name to it.

Oakland Axe Factory! It’s my “Rap Hat” sig, one of five from the 2011 Black Friday run Tom Drinkwater did on sevenstring.org.

Thing is a genuine prestige beast - one piece oiled rosewood neck with custom asymmetrical profile, rosewood FB, swamp ash body with 5A maple top, HSH Dimarzio Ionizer set with 6 way (3 hum, 3 split) switch, cool dual layer (black then blue) rubbed finish. I call it “ocean storm”, a sort of modification of PRS’s Matteo Blue.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Been working on my "studio" space too.

Newest addition is the big silver korg trinity lovingly rescued from a dumpster.

Looks cramped but I can comfortably stand in the middle and reach all the keyboards. All of them except the organ are running into a mixer into the monitor on the floor. The organ is loud enough to be heard over them all.

There's a jack on the organ to run outboard audio through it but it's meant for running a record player through to play along so it bypasses the reverb and leslie speaker.
So much more to do. There's a guitar pile that needs to be wall mounted, cables, pedals, everything organized. It's nice to get it all in one room for once.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
A few weeks ago, a Squier Jaguar Bass showed up on Facebook Marketplace when I went on there to sell an old bike. I've been wanting one for a while, but not enough to buy a new one. I can deal with the 32" scale ones, but not the 30" scale ones--I just don't play those all that well. I asked the guy what the scale length was, and he didn't know and didn't have a tape measure. I showed up an hour later with a tape measure, and it was the Vintage Modified model with the full 34" scale, which is great. I bought it for less than $300, and I got a hardshell case.

This model came with the 4-knob active circuit, which has a weird bass boost that's way too much when cranked but oddly thin when dialed all the way back. I could only barely dial in my sound, and it was just slightly too hot for my normal pedalboard and amp setup. Since I didn't like the way it sounded and was not wanting to fiddle with it to make it easy to swap to and from this bass during a gig, I decided to do what I often do: drop in some Quarter Pounders.

I rewired it to the standard P/J setup (Volume/Volume/Tone), and this let me put an output jack in the empty hole, which is great because I hate inputs that are on the edge of the instrument. Since they used lead-free solder and I only had a 30 watt iron, I ended up burning one of the pots (mini Alphas) trying to remove the solder to get rid of the old circuit. So, I had to order three new pots, and to save more trouble (and new knobs and a trip to the drill press), I just got some full-size Alpha pots. I have always used CTS before, but I didn't want to buy anything more than I needed to. Alpha pots are OK.

I got everything set back up, and it plays great.

Before:

After (close-up):

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Belated B-Day gift to myself

Hondo Deluxe Series 766 V with a Seymour Duncan Black Winter in the bridge. Kinda think it needs the hardware swapped for black.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Slothful Bong posted:

Oakland Axe Factory! It’s my “Rap Hat” sig, one of five from the 2011 Black Friday run Tom Drinkwater did on sevenstring.org.

Thing is a genuine prestige beast - one piece oiled rosewood neck with custom asymmetrical profile, rosewood FB, swamp ash body with 5A maple top, HSH Dimarzio Ionizer set with 6 way (3 hum, 3 split) switch, cool dual layer (black then blue) rubbed finish. I call it “ocean storm”, a sort of modification of PRS’s Matteo Blue.

yeah that's it! very sick. he closed up shop, right?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

muike posted:

yeah that's it! very sick. he closed up shop, right?

Yeah, afaik he’s working at a guitar store in Augusta Maine, living the northern life. Pretty sure he’s still doing repairs and setups, and I’m sure for the right price could do a build (his website implies he’ll do it for the right guitar) but it doesn’t seem to be his focus anymore.

Honestly tho, I’m glad. Most of the other small builders of that era ended up getting over their heads and scamming customers, so for Tom to hang up the hat instead of letting greed get in the way was immensely respectable. Still wish there were some builders doing limited-spec customs for less than $1500, but I think that ship sailed a decade ago.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Put my cheapo (but good) Thomann JB and 5-string PJ up for sale and got this.

I'm intending for this to be my last major instrument purchase ever short of something breaking.

It'll be joining joining the current selection of:

Fender Jaguar Special Player HH (3TSB)
Squier VM Jazzmaster (3TSB)
Squier Bass VI (black)

I guess I have a type :negative:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

widefault posted:

Belated B-Day gift to myself

Hondo Deluxe Series 766 V with a Seymour Duncan Black Winter in the bridge. Kinda think it needs the hardware swapped for black.

It's awesome, and yeah, black hardware is the way to go. I really like guitars with super simple controls, like this.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I'm intending for this to be my last major instrument purchase ever short of something breaking.

Squier Bass VI (black)

Nothing wrong with fenders, theyre just so iconic. How do you like your bass VI. I just got mine finally set up the way I like it, locking trem, staytrem bridge, la Bella flatwound, and I shimmed the neck.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Armacham posted:

Nothing wrong with fenders, theyre just so iconic. How do you like your bass VI. I just got mine finally set up the way I like it, locking trem, staytrem bridge, la Bella flatwound, and I shimmed the neck.

Ditto for everything except the locking trem.

After about two years I'm getting to a point where I feel like I know what to do with it! I can get some really nice sounds and it's pretty versatile.

Plus there's the bonus of knowing that if someone else brings a bass to the practice room, I can always just plug into a guitar amp and pretend I'm a baritone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Captain Splendid posted:

Squier Bass VI (black)

What's with the "negative" smiley? There is literally nothing wrong with your type.

I'm more of a Precision and Jazz Bass man, but I literally just scored a full-scale (34") Squier Jaguar and posted about it. I did replace the electronics because the stock active circuit wasn't what I wanted, but that was nothing a set of Quarter Pounders and some new pots couldn't fix. And I got it because my Squier VI made me realize just how cool the full offset Fender body shape was. I've wanted a 4-string in that shape for a while, and now I have an awesome one, and it's got a great finish.

Great bass. Is it a short-scale? My only requirement was that I didn't get a 30" scale model, because I'm too heavy-handed for one. As luck would have it, I found a full-scale one, even though I'd have been happy with a 32" medium-scale model. My only regret is that I couldn't get a full-scale one that didn't have the J-bass rout on it; I could've put in one of those old-school Telecaster Bass pickups in there for the Royal Blood look.

Still, though. With all the evidence that the only thing that matters with the sound of an instrument is the pickup and string material combination, you might as well look for something that looks cool, and there's a loving reason that the 1950's and 1960's offset Fender style still endures: it looks cool and retro without being tied to that identity.

Personally, I love Fenders, mostly because of the aesthetic. They're utilitarian. Bolt-on necks. Plastic pick guards that obviously are there to hide the routing on the top, which makes the construction cheaper. But... gently caress it, I love 'em for those reasons.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
All I have is Fender (licensed) products really. Three basses and three guitars. The 68’ Hagstrom gets a pass for being weird.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Personally, I love Fenders, mostly because of the aesthetic. They're utilitarian. Bolt-on necks. Plastic pick guards that obviously are there to hide the routing on the top, which makes the construction cheaper. But... gently caress it, I love 'em for those reasons.

So much easier to do the wiring on fenders than on les Paul's because of the pick guards. I will literally never do any wiring on a hollow body or semi hollow ever though. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I tried to get into playing guitar as a kid 15 years ago on an acoustic but never did. I ended up getting a deal on a monoprice strat clone $63 after taxes shipped from their website. From the pictures, I thought the body was going to be just solid red with white primer underneath the paint. The wood grain shines through the red which was a surprise. The red was also darker than the picture shown on monoprice's website.

Minor flame maple on the back of the neck

I've paired it with a dinky Squier 10 watt amp a friend gave to me. I've been following the beginners/immediate guide on Justin Guitar and it's been good so far. I wished I had these resources 15 years ago

I'm still probably going to take it to a local music shop to get it properly set up and maybe decking the tremolo bridge as it's floating right now. As a beginner, I'm not even sure if the guitar has it's intonation set properly.

Anyone know any good music shops in the bay area that could do a basic guitar set up for $80 or less?

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 25, 2023