Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Grapplejack posted:

"Regulated"

I get your point, but there are certain greater capitalization requirements that make it harder to destroy a behemoth like Chase or Citibank in the way that SVB's leadership destroyed their own bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you need insurance anymore when the fed will give you 10$ trillion overnight for free

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

what bank was allowed to go under and wipe out deposits over 250k?

because that'd be the end of all banks, lol. The only thing keeping the system alive is the FDIC saving all deposits, all the time.

It hasn't happened yet but after the fed declared infinite bailouts Yellen walked it back last week claiming this only applies to banks deemed to be important. Only if they decide the bailout prevents "systemic issues" will it happen.

So theoretically some regional bank or credit union could collapse and not be considered important enough to bail out and anyone with deposits over 250k would be hosed. This just hasn't been tested since we are 7 days into the infinite bailouts being declared and no smaller banks have collapsed and had their fate decided yet.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Koirhor posted:

[doomsday economics] coo coo for CoCos Bonds

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

love getting ghosted by recruiters in this poo poo job market

Nobody wants to work!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

triple sulk posted:

Just keep trying, I just landed a new job, and now all the other recruiters have started to try bringing me in for an interview. Like dude, you should have contacted me six weeks ago when I applied.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

Do you need insurance anymore when the fed will give you 10$ trillion overnight for free

Where does the money the banks lost go

Who has it

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

triple sulk posted:

Have you tried working fast food? They are paying $15/hr, which I am told is an exorbitant amount of money.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court today in 2.5 hours!

Im excited for Chaos Verdict

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Who has it

Freed from material constraints the money has broken free of samsara

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
JPMorgan is pissed about the AT1 bonds
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1637822544450396160?t=0q3Uz-rr7GV_hylA8-4KZA&s=19

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Just keep trying, I just landed a new job, and now all the other recruiters have started to try bringing me in for an interview. Like dude, you should have contacted me six weeks ago when I applied.

this one was for a job i already had three steps for. total radio silence for two weeks after being told i'd hear back by what's now a week ago

not unusual these days but frustrating is all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who has it

the people they lent it to?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

triple sulk posted:

this one was for a job i already had three steps for. total radio silence for two weeks after being told i'd hear back by what's now a week ago

Have you tried contacting them?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Im excited for Chaos Verdict

The bad news about that. The judge has 30 days to issue a verdict if she shows up. And she is definitely going to show up. That lady has been huffing her farts for far too long to not show up.

However, if she pisses him off enough or the evidence is overwhelming, the judge may issue a verdict on the spot. :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Please pause
https://twitter.com/LizYoungStrat/status/1637799237332205571?t=YlU1QQjwdzXwaVKDWLbnOg&s=19

A painless, but expensive death
https://twitter.com/MoistCr1TiKaL/status/1637611058889195521?t=CVs9Q5jqO_3B-8o7Ji_tQA&s=19

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

OrangéJéllo posted:

Freed from material constraints the money has broken free of samsara

:blessed:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Who has it

Its worth noting that money is not like matter, it can be created from nothing and be obliterated into nothing with no logical relation to any external force

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Koirhor posted:

[doomsday economics] coo coo for CoCos Bonds

:hmmyes:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

amazon laying off another 9000 employees

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

read the prospectus? no, fuxk you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

triple sulk posted:

Al tech and office people. Nobody important.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court today in 2.5 hours!

Hell yeah

Can't wait to hear what the judge thinks of your landlord's insane bullshit

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

how much more is feeling pain worth vs not feeling pain?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think they genuinely don't know how to hire people anymore.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

triple sulk posted:

coding boot camps are about to get crowded

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
reserve your spot now!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Jesus Christ, though not surprising coming from the company that monetized plane life safety in the first place.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

Al tech and office people. Nobody important.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/20/amazon-layoffs-company-to-cut-off-9000-more-workers.html

AWS is included which is very not good

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If the fed pauses, stocks are going to the goddam moon. You heard it here first.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Twerk from Home posted:

Hell yeah

Can't wait to hear what the judge thinks of your landlord's insane bullshit

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

triple sulk posted:

My partner is a lawyer who is trying to get a high paying job and she’s had no less than four recruiters just disappear within a week of contacting them and getting pretty far. It’s loving wild how recruiters work and I’m starting to think they qualify for being lined up against the wall.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

oh no, not the advertisers! heh heh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

I would add that this ain't just truck dorks trying to look cool anymore, but truck suspensions are actually useful in many inner cities now. What with our crumbling infrastructure producing potholes everywhere that go unrepaired by corrupt city government.
call me crazy but I have a feeling that 100% of the people dropping mega bux on overinflated used truck prices aren’t doing it because there’s too many potholes

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

My partner is a lawyer who is trying to get a high paying job and she’s had no less than four recruiters just disappear within a week of contacting them and getting pretty far. It’s loving wild how recruiters work and I’m starting to think they qualify for being lined up against the wall.

she should apply as a recruiter and then hire herself

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Radirot posted:

she should apply as a recruiter and then hire herself

:hmmyes:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

all the recruiters are getting laid off

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The latest round is expected to impact Amazon’s cloud computing, advertising, human resources and Twitch units.

drat, twitch?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Rexicon1 posted:

I've never had or heard of a good recruiting experience. It's a niche industry that doesn't work the way you would expect or want it to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
death to twitch