Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The vast majority of Korea’s power is in the non-leader parts of the civs abilities (the unique district, obviously) so by necessity the replacement leaders power has to also be weak. That said it’s replacing something that (slightly) buffs science output with something that does not, so I gotta assume up to 8 little chunks of just culture is a downgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh oh oh, I know I know! It's cuz it probably counts the boosts from great scientists, allowing you to net 1k+ culture piñatas.

If that's so then it's actually a brilliant ability, aiming for specific great people is a fun thing to do.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Serephina posted:

Oh oh oh, I know I know! It's cuz it probably counts the boosts from great scientists, allowing you to net 1k+ culture piñatas.

If that's so then it's actually a brilliant ability, aiming for specific great people is a fun thing to do.

Yeah, I assumed it wouldn't count that and it'd just check your current science per turn, but if it does then that seems like it'd flip it around to being hilariously strong instead.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does it count the first technology in the Ancient era? If so, the boost towards getting your first Civic is significant. Even if it doesn't, there are 8 more eras and a decent player will max out the tech tree by turn 300, so on average you get a Culture boost per turn equal to 5% of your Science.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I assumed it wouldn't count that and it'd just check your current science per turn, but if it does then that seems like it'd flip it around to being hilariously strong instead.

i'd assume it works the same as the moon landing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Leader Pass is hilarious.

I really hope they are taking Civ VII more seriously than this iteration.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Human Crouton posted:

Leader Pass is hilarious.

I really hope they are taking Civ VII more seriously than this iteration.

This feels like it's a chance to get junior devs some experience while the main team is working on VII.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Civ 7 will just be the main menu and a featureless map and all the mechanics will be DLC

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Microplastics posted:

Civ 7 will just be the main menu and a featureless map and all the mechanics will be DLC

Civ 7 is going to be released on mobile first, and ported to PC three years later.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Ludwig II (Germany): Wonders, even unfinished, receive a +2 Culture bonus from each adjacent District. All Culture adjacency bonuses provide Tourism after researching Castles.

im loving ludwigs silly ability

finally i can indulge in my need to slam down every wonder immediately upon unlocking them

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ludwig's tourism from culture adjacency bonuses might be better than it sounds. Either way, I feel like I need to come up with some new district patterns built around wonders the AI doesn't like.

I hope Sejong counts science bursts and free techs as science generated, and eurekas too, because honestly on paper Seondeok smokes him. Maybe the idea is that this gives you a way to play a weaker yet more involved Korea, if you normally find it too strong and brain-dead?

Theodora basically adds a new civ to the game for me. We now have a version of Byzantium that doesn't necessarily need you to aim for a unit-based victory condition.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Quick test with Sejong says he doesn't get a culture boost for researching his first tech. He's just bad, and there's no niche he fills better than Seondeok. But to be fair, Seondeok was already a strong leader, so I don't think Sejong is terrible to play.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Maybe the logic is you start with a tech researched already from the ancient era, hrm.

Regardless of great scientists being able to cheese it, anyone done the math for how it comes out when you toggle campus grants for a turn?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ludwig is ludicrous. His ability is like getting the ability to construct a unique district called "Rubble" that costs 1 hammer and gives +2 culture to every adjacent district, including city centres. If you can settle next to a Floodplain, it kicks in as soon as you research Pottery. I don't think he's as broken as Yongle, but a crafty player could probably win a very early Culture victory with him.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
So the bonus stays even ir you the wonder gets built by someone else?

I didn't really play much after cheesing my first Deity win with all yields Nzinga but grifting tourists into visiting an empire of "ruins" sounds fun.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ulvino posted:

So the bonus stays even ir you the wonder gets built by someone else?

I didn't really play much after cheesing my first Deity win with all yields Nzinga but grifting tourists into visiting an empire of "ruins" sounds fun.

No, the rubble goes away if someone else builds the wonder, but you often get the chance to simply build a new wonder in that spot.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

finally got civ 6 now that it's on game pass and i really like the way they've solved the "strategy game on a controller" problem honestly. although i don't know what half the buttons on the UI do and there's no tooltips to tell me (i'm sure this info is in the tutorial, i just can't be hosed). i put like 3 hours into it in one sitting and still don't really know what i'm doing. but i'm having a great time!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

hybridnoisebloom posted:

finally got civ 6 now that it's on game pass and i really like the way they've solved the "strategy game on a controller" problem honestly. although i don't know what half the buttons on the UI do and there's no tooltips to tell me (i'm sure this info is in the tutorial, i just can't be hosed). i put like 3 hours into it in one sitting and still don't really know what i'm doing. but i'm having a great time!

Found the AI player

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just bought this on steam is rise and fall must have

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

hybridnoisebloom posted:

You can activate tooltips by pressing the 'options' button on the Xbox Series version while you have something selected.

But I agree, it plays great on console. And this coming from someone that has been playing Civ since the early 90's. Only thing is the absence of mods, which is kind of a big thing. But I actually prefer playing the game with a controller.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

John F Bennett posted:

You can activate tooltips by pressing the 'options' button on the Xbox Series version while you have something selected.

But I agree, it plays great on console. And this coming from someone that has been playing Civ since the early 90's. Only thing is the absence of mods, which is kind of a big thing. But I actually prefer playing the game with a controller.

Do you know if you can install Steam Workshop mods to play Civ 6 with a controller on the Steam Deck? Never tried. Might have to.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Religious Victory should be like the End of the Cycle/Becoming a Crisis from Stellaris. Fulfill ancient prophecies and immanentize the eschaton before they can stop you.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Prism posted:

Do you know if you can install Steam Workshop mods to play Civ 6 with a controller on the Steam Deck? Never tried. Might have to.

I don't know much about the Steam Deck but I would imagine you'd still be moving around a mouse cursor, right? The console interface is really well done, you're not really pointing and clicking anymore. It's all shortcuts now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

John F Bennett posted:

I don't know much about the Steam Deck but I would imagine you'd still be moving around a mouse cursor, right? The console interface is really well done, you're not really pointing and clicking anymore. It's all shortcuts now.

Yes, but I already own it on Steam and do not own it on PS4.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

I just bought this on steam is rise and fall must have

You dont strictly need it unless you want to interact with the civs that lean on the rules, but it does also add a lot so you may want to play through a few vanilla games first.

and if you do get it just buy all the expacs. New Frontiers adds some fun if kinda overpowered game modes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
When you hear the new lines compared to the old ones, its a bit noticeable that Sean Bean seems to be recording for this game from inside a coffin.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AKA his natural habitat

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The wrath of Hoochley O'Poochley was great

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't feel that the new quotes and the old quotes are as far apart in quality as many -- the game has literally always had dopey stuff in places -- but I was thinking yesterday about how much I liked the quotes in Alpha Centauri and how bad I think the rest of AC game is by (my) modern standards.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I decided to sit down and binge a session or two this week instead of just thinking about various 4X games, as it's been a while since I've properly played it.

Apart from some old nuggets that felt like revelations all over again, e.g. the game does not let you have wonders at anything above prince level (rip China), I think my big takeaway is just how passive and un-interactive the game is with your opponents. Like, I know all the hoo-haw about how the AI can't optimize worth poo poo, 1UPT is a traffic jam nightmare, the AI can't attack, etc etc. But to me the big "thing" was how binary the game state is; you're either in a totally-committed life-and-death struggle with a neighbor, or you're passively sitting there "goldfishing" as hard as you can. Sure, barbs can be a pain for the first two eras, but after that the borders quickly get drawn and there's nothing to do except enjoy the (admittedly excellent) district game while occasionally plopping down a new settlement.

It's a problem I see in other similar games, like "western" boardgames where you're either taking all your guys and slamming them into someone win-lose-or-draw while others watch, or ignoring them entirely. Compared to a steady push and pull of players continually disadvantaging each other that "euro/german" games do. For a 4X comparison, even Endless Legend, a game flawed in its own ways, has a lot more tension and map presence during peacetimes.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to play Ludwig a bunch but I have no idea what good placement looks like for him. It's all pretty simple for Fred since you can just stack his districts along your rivers in alternating patterns and watch the yields roll in, but with Ludwig I'm still trying to figure out where the wonders fit into the pattern, since they dilute your adjacencies in certain ways and I'm not sure what's worth it and what isn't. Where does a wonder fit into the traditional German diamond of two hansas and two commercial hubs? How about the theater square, what shape am I trying to make with that? And the holy site, what if I want that?!

Obviously the answer is "it depends" but that's never a useful answer to any question. I guess I'll go figure it out. Maybe build so tall I can just do everything.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Ragnar34 posted:

I want to play Ludwig a bunch but I have no idea what good placement looks like for him. It's all pretty simple for Fred since you can just stack his districts along your rivers in alternating patterns and watch the yields roll in, but with Ludwig I'm still trying to figure out where the wonders fit into the pattern, since they dilute your adjacencies in certain ways and I'm not sure what's worth it and what isn't. Where does a wonder fit into the traditional German diamond of two hansas and two commercial hubs? How about the theater square, what shape am I trying to make with that? And the holy site, what if I want that?!

Obviously the answer is "it depends" but that's never a useful answer to any question. I guess I'll go figure it out. Maybe build so tall I can just do everything.

https://youtu.be/U4BjIhsvXAM

This guy might give you some ideas

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Serephina posted:

Apart from some old nuggets that felt like revelations all over again, e.g. the game does not let you have wonders at anything above prince level (rip China), I think my big takeaway is just how passive and un-interactive the game is with your opponents.

on high difficulty levels it's hard to beat the AI to ancient/classical era wonders, and getting AI-favored wonders (e.g. Pyramids) isn't likely unless you beeline the technology and harvest wood/stone to rush it out. (China is great at that, thanks to the extra builder charge they can spend directly on the wonder)

once you get close on technology/culture in the midgame, the situation flips and you can target specific wonders much better than the AI can. you can generally get any given wonder if you start a high-production city on it immediately

kind of disappointing, the AI really does lose steam after the early game

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Tbh the beginning of the game is when we most need the ai to be at its best, so I can live with this.

I keep forgetting Ludwig gets tourism from ALL adjacency. I don't think my four city setup is going to work out, but hansa contributes to tourism and also helps me spam all these wonders, including ones I wouldn't get. Germany's extra district also matters more to me than it ever has.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 26, 2023

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

It only applies to culture adjacency, so only your theater squares and city centers (gained from distrct-adjacent wonders, finished or not) will produce tourism.

I wouldn't worry too much about optimization, really. Even 4-6 extra culture per wonder placement is really good for no investment, and Germany certainly has the production to complete wonders that you specifically want.

I'd imagine you want to build Hansas as usual and just fit your wonders in a way that's adjacent to theater squares and either your Hansa diamonds or your city centers. I'd also imagine something interesting could work with three theater squares adjacent to a government plaza and a Casa de Contraracion wedged in there for lots of tourism. I assume the policy card that doubles theater square adjacency also doubles the tourism produced.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Bluff Buster posted:

It only applies to culture adjacency, so only your theater squares and city centers (gained from distrct-adjacent wonders, finished or not) will produce tourism.

I wouldn't worry too much about optimization, really. Even 4-6 extra culture per wonder placement is really good for no investment, and Germany certainly has the production to complete wonders that you specifically want.

I'd imagine you want to build Hansas as usual and just fit your wonders in a way that's adjacent to theater squares and either your Hansa diamonds or your city centers. I'd also imagine something interesting could work with three theater squares adjacent to a government plaza and a Casa de Contraracion wedged in there for lots of tourism. I assume the policy card that doubles theater square adjacency also doubles the tourism produced.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, Ludwig's ability has the wonders themselves receive culture (+later tourism) adjacency bonuses from districts, not the "traditional" way around. Whether they're adjacent to Hansas or Harbors or Theater Squares or Aqueducts doesn't matter as far as that aspect of the leader bonus is concerned.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 26, 2023

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Ah, I just wasn't clear. Wonders will generate culture from an adjacency with any district, it's just that that culture produced is considered part of the city centers, rather than the individual wonders. I think, anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Last Leader Pass set's out today.

Harald Hardrada - Varangian (Norway): Levying city-state units costs 75% less Gold. Killing a unit with a levied unit grants Faith, Culture, and Science equal to 50% of the defeated unit's Combat Strength.
Elizabeth I (England): +2 Trade Route capacity upon recruiting the first Great Admiral. Trade Routes to city-states gain +3 Gold for every specialty district at the origin city. +100% yields from plundering Trade Routes.
Victoria - Age of Steam (England): +10% Production in cities for each Industrial Zone building in that city. +2 Production to all Strategic Resources.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What maps do people play on? Also, do people set up leader pools to make sure you don't have an 8-way peace-fest?

My last game on "Continents & Islands" has made me bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
^^^^ I like to play on Primordial with disasters set to 4, or The Greatest Earth map from YANMP

Kanfy posted:

Victoria - Age of Steam (England): +10% Production in cities for each Industrial Zone building in that city. +2 Production to all Strategic Resources.

jesus christ