Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thinking about the intertextuality between Undertale telling you off for doing the genocide ending just to see all the content and players re-ruining Harry's life by making him lean into being the most most divorced guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brandon Proust posted:

I didn’t pursue the wife content because my good friend inland empire told me to stay away from it

This.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

No Dignity posted:

Thinking about the intertextuality between Undertale telling you off for doing the genocide ending just to see all the content and players re-ruining Harry's life by making him lean into being the most most divorced guy

Undertale doesn't really tell you off, it feels very clear to me that Toby Fox wants players to do as much or as little of the game as possible. If he wanted to actually punish or berate you for it he wouldn't have put badass songs and fights there. The CHARACTERS certainly hate you for it but the game doesn't.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

run out what clock

The clock that ticks up every time you have a conversation and then it's bedtime and noone will talk to you and there's a fuckin civil war we have to stop before it's too late!! What if tomorrow is too late!!

I'd figured there was a bad ending where you slack off too much and war legitimately breaks out

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 20, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Also I ran into a bug in the switch version where you can ask Measurehead to take the body down and he leaves and never comes back, the game just hangs there.

I thought this was the game doing a bit about how long getting the body down takes and I let my switch run in this state for half an hour before deciding something was up

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

No Dignity posted:

harry has to confront his wife complex early and hard if he even wants to have a remote chance to move on imo. even if his thoughts congratulate him on ignoring it for a whole week during the last dream, is he really going to be able to ignore any mention of the most important and regarded innocent in all of elysium for the rest of his existence? and you better believe harry's a sad enough fucker to have kept dora's stuff still in his actual home. better he figure that poo poo out before he can
idiot doom spiral half way into recovery.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Countblanc posted:

Undertale doesn't really tell you off, it feels very clear to me that Toby Fox wants players to do as much or as little of the game as possible.
Toriel told me to stay home, so I did.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

John Charity Spring posted:

these aren't very good, this article rules though

https://alastairhadden.medium.com/a-storm-is-blowing-from-paradise-disco-elysium-on-the-past-and-present-e2fff5d629be

Part 3 includes a dissection of the 'rules of detective fiction'

Awesome article, love how they broke all the rules of detective fiction.

Thanks for sharing.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Pursuing the ex-wife part can get you an early bad end game over, though, so it's not unwarranted to be leery of it.

Is this another case of someone who saw a title card drop and thought it was a game over? If you mean reading the letter in the clipboard, it's not a game over. You black out, but your reptilian brain saying different things to the start of the game is meant to be the clue.

If you mean a different bad end, I would like to know what it is though. Always fun to see more content I missed.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

Also I ran into a bug in the switch version where you can ask Measurehead to take the body down and he leaves and never comes back, the game just hangs there.

I thought this was the game doing a bit about how long getting the body down takes and I let my switch run in this state for half an hour before deciding something was up

Yeah, there's a bunch of bugs about triggering animations/sounds/not talking things during dialogue it seems. Which is a shame especially with how far apart the autosaves are.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

harry has to confront his wife complex early and hard if he even wants to have a remote chance to move on imo. even if his thoughts congratulate him on ignoring it for a whole week during the last dream, is he really going to be able to ignore any mention of the most important and regarded innocent in all of elysium for the rest of his existence? and you better believe harry's a sad enough fucker to have kept dora's stuff still in his actual home. better he figure that poo poo out before he can
idiot doom spiral half way into recovery.

Is any action you can take in the game regarding it, a form of "progress"?

Most of the player actions is basically digging to try to figure out what that mystery is, rather then actually confronting the problem. From text and subtext, this is a cycle Harry is locked in - he manages to escape for a time, but the dream always comes back. I choose to believe that while Harry has had episodes in the past, this is the first time he did a pretty significant mind wipe, and the "cleaning out the rooms" thought sort of implies this idea of picking and choosing what you carry forward with you is sort of how you make this "new Harry." The more you dwell on Dora, the more of her you keep with Harry.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you don’t get the Dora dream, Harry has possibly the first restful night of sleep he’s had in a very very long time. He just needs to keep it up until he’s no longer sleep deprived

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
https://twitter.com/turntechCatfish/status/1637500083104108546

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

John Charity Spring posted:

these aren't very good, this article rules though

https://alastairhadden.medium.com/a-storm-is-blowing-from-paradise-disco-elysium-on-the-past-and-present-e2fff5d629be

Part 3 includes a dissection of the 'rules of detective fiction'

Extremely pro click.

This game is so good

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

jesus christ lmao

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Would anyone recommended starting attributes for a 2nd playthrough?

I just restarted with 4/4/2/2 (my first was default "Sensitive" which probably best captures who Harry is) but I realized I probably don't need to rely on Inland Empire or the rest of the Psyche skills now that I generally understand everyone's motives.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 20, 2023

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

I just restarted with 4/4/2/2 (my first was default "Sensitive" which probably best captures who Harry is) but I realized I probably don't need to rely on Inland Empire or the rest of the Psyche skills now that I generally understand everyone's motives.

the opposite of whatever you did the first time. otherwise, just prioritize skills you didn’t get much from in your first playthrough

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Pursuing the ex-wife part can get you an early bad end game over, though, so it's not unwarranted to be leery of it.

loving how. if picking up the pay phone and making that absolutely agonizing phone call didn't qualify for a bad ending, what worse things lie down the road?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Harry can attempt dancing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Did you restart after reading the post card? I can't remember any other "game over" and I think I was pretty thorough

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks everyone posting articles, I hadn’t seen all those before.

Oxyclean posted:

From text and subtext, this is a cycle Harry is locked in - he manages to escape for a time, but the dream always comes back. I choose to believe that while Harry has had episodes in the past, this is the first time he did a pretty significant mind wipe, and the "cleaning out the rooms" thought sort of implies this idea of picking and choosing what you carry forward with you is sort of how you make this "new Harry." The more you dwell on Dora, the more of her you keep with Harry.
On the one hand it’s good to imagine that Harry can finally start to move on. On the other hand, it suggests that drinking yourself to oblivion is a valid way of achieving that closure and if it hasn’t worked for you, you just haven’t gotten drunk enough yet

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I engaged with all the Dora content on my first playthrough and didn't even think of not doing so. A combination of wanting to see content/lore but also thinking that Harry needed to engage with his memories of Dora and his misery and actively decide to finally to move on, which makes more sense to me than "shut every thought of her out of your mind."

I know the restful dream implies that ignoring everything is good, but I have a hard time seeing that as the best outcome.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TACD posted:

On the one hand it’s good to imagine that Harry can finally start to move on. On the other hand, it suggests that drinking yourself to oblivion is a valid way of achieving that closure and if it hasn’t worked for you, you just haven’t gotten drunk enough yet
Well the thing is Harry probably didn't drink to oblivion to forget - he's done that in the past and it didn't work and his coworkers attest. Or at least, the impression I have from speculation is that the Harry we find at the start of the game is one that forgot by sticking his head in the pale hole at the church or something. (Implications drawn from what Harry visiting the fishing hamlet earlier, dialog that suggests Harry was at a raid at the church in the past, and dialog that Harry had theories about the Pale in the past)

"I drank myself to oblivion" is just an excuse that's less crazy sounding, and more digestible for someone who has forgotten what the pale even is.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

cuno doesn't FUCKIN CARE

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Oxyclean posted:

I choose to believe that while Harry has had episodes in the past, this is the first time he did a pretty significant mind wipe, and the "cleaning out the rooms" thought sort of implies this idea of picking and choosing what you carry forward with you is sort of how you make this "new Harry." The more you dwell on Dora, the more of her you keep with Harry.

I gotta disagree. Read the text from Cleaning Out the Rooms again, and realize that you get the thought from talking about the pale spot in the church with Soona. That thought is there to clue you in that the pale is partly -- possibly almost entirely -- responsible for Harry's memory loss. The line "What if you didn’t lose your memory? What if something in Martinaise came and stored it all away. " makes that pretty explicit, I think.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Bedshaped posted:

4/4/2/2 is pretty good with the caveat that I recommend going Hobocop to get the extra shivers cap so you can pump that up

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

prayer group posted:

I gotta disagree. Read the text from Cleaning Out the Rooms again, and realize that you get the thought from talking about the pale spot in the church with Soona. That thought is there to clue you in that the pale is partly -- possibly almost entirely -- responsible for Harry's memory loss. The line "What if you didn’t lose your memory? What if something in Martinaise came and stored it all away. " makes that pretty explicit, I think.

I think there's a miscommunication because this is what I'm getting at. Harry used the pale to wipe his mind to escape his thoughts of Dora.

There's implications from other characters that he's had strange episodes in the past, but it's not clear if they were full on pale-induced - some think that he did smaller test runs with the Pale, or it could have just been drinking benders.

Either way, the conclusion I draw from this is that you can help Harry by not helping he retrieve Dora related memories. But perhaps, Harry is doomed because the mystery of some of those threads is just too enticing not to pull at, and it's an inevitability that he will uncover the thoughts again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
4422 with signature shivers is how I played. It's pretty decent as far as seeing things goes. My biggest stumbling block was the church since it's yellow skill check hell and I played self-imposed ironman.

Weirdly enough, from what little I tested after my playthrough, I suspect that if you want to see the most content on a single run, you want to play on hardcore mode. You get less money and healing, and the active skill checks are harder, yes, but the passive ones are still the same, and you get noticeably more XP to boost them. The "see the most content in one run" build would probably be something like hardcore 3333 with inland empire as signature skill and grabbing art cop ASAP, and then just playing the game as you normally would.

People seemed to give a lot of advice about banking skillpoints when I first looked things up, and it's horrible advice. Yes, it's going to make passing active skill checks easier, but if you don't constantly build up your skills, you will miss a lot of passive skill checks that you can't even know are there if you don't have enough points, and those are some of the most interesting stuff you'll run into (often with little rewards, too).

I hate the clothing juggling, it's one of the game's weakpoints.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My hot take: Dora Ingerlund seems like a nice and cool person from what little we learn and see of her and I'm kind of on her side when it comes to the break up. I like Harry, I want him to get better, but, yeah, I get why she left and don't think she was wrong to do so when she did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not really a hot take

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Oxyclean posted:

I think there's a miscommunication because this is what I'm getting at. Harry used the pale to wipe his mind to escape his thoughts of Dora.

There's implications from other characters that he's had strange episodes in the past, but it's not clear if they were full on pale-induced - some think that he did smaller test runs with the Pale, or it could have just been drinking benders.

Either way, the conclusion I draw from this is that you can help Harry by not helping he retrieve Dora related memories. But perhaps, Harry is doomed because the mystery of some of those threads is just too enticing not to pull at, and it's an inevitability that he will uncover the thoughts again.

Oh, interesting! I actually haven't considered that Harry had been doing it on purpose, but when you consider that he's been to the church and stayed at the shack before, why else would he be doing that? In my first playthrough I thought his pale mindwiping was unintentional, but I don't think that makes as much sense.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't remember him having stayed at the shack before, that was Ruby.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The washerwoman explicitly states Harry hadn’t been there before

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well yeah, but Tequila Sunset absolutely has been there and partying it up.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
He didn’t make it too far from his car IIRC and now that I think about how tf did he get back after he broke the water lock

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He didn't have to go to the Pale, the Pale came to him. That's right, bratan, there's a hole in your head.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cleaning out the rooms is poor evidence for pale exposure because it’s just harry’s own thoughts on the incident, and harry tends to assign cosmic significance to his very mundane problems

his amnesia could still be pale exposure but there’s no authoritative statement on it in-game or otherwise

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

christmas boots posted:

He didn't have to go to the Pale, the Pale came to him. That's right, bratan, there's a hole in your head.

There's a hole in Harry's brain where all the money goes
Dolores died for nothin' I suppose
Little Cunos have big ears
Don't stop to count the beers
Sweet songs never last too long on SpeedFreaks radio, mmhmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Doing a fresh run with pumped-up encyclopedia and visual calculus and running way out of order than previously. I started with the doomed commercial area, haven’t spoken to Joyce, Klassjie or Cuno, and got hobocop immediately for extra cash but my tie isn’t being my friend

Haven’t even looked at the body.

And holy gently caress it’s near-impossible to get skill points.

What’s bumming me out the most is the tie and that the fence visual hasn’t popped AT ALL WHAT THE HELL