Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

my wife and I rent a townhouse and sometimes I’ll see neighboring properties go up for sale. and I’ll toss the numbers in a mortgage estimator and it shows monthly payments higher than our current rent, even with like 20% down (lmao)

it’s possible I’m picking stupid numbers in my estimate but idk. shits crazy and it looks like we’ll be renting until we die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I did, however, schedule an interview with a startup exploring the intersection of generative AI and the blockchain for later this week

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FlapYoJacks posted:

The current case since 0915 is a guy trying to sue a timeshare company because he wanted a specific property on the fourth of July weekend, and it was booked, lol.

"I cant believe that the thing that happened to every other timeshare owner also happened to me"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

FlapYoJacks posted:

Timeshare companies are all terrible and skeevy but god drat lmfao.

keep posting updates, I'm excited for this sage

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

not feeling great about banks today, folks

do some more research. you are misinformed

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

The current case since 0915 is a guy trying to sue a timeshare company because he wanted a specific property on the fourth of July weekend, and it was booked, lol.

let him cook

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

out of control Karen vs scumbag timeshare company. let them fight

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RC Cola posted:

hey posting ally, I'm glad you got out

Thanks, it was an easy decision, a growing company, 15% more money, and 7 miles from my apartment.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Xaris posted:

it’s loaded up with so many ads and payouts, how does it lose money wtf

Twitch is probably run, and furnished, like a daycare.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We are on our case. The landlady is arguing with the judge about what’s normal wear and tear.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FlapYoJacks posted:

We are on our case. The landlady is arguing with the judge about what’s normal wear and tear.

:munch:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Xaris posted:

it’s loaded up with so many ads and payouts, how does it lose money wtf

It’s one of those let’s spend money to make money but they don’t make enough money for it to be profitable. It’s still the biggest streaming platform but they have to maintain it with big streamers to rival YouTube.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

the term is "deferred maintenance", use that and the judge will like you

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

dads friend steve posted:

my wife and I rent a townhouse and sometimes I’ll see neighboring properties go up for sale. and I’ll toss the numbers in a mortgage estimator and it shows monthly payments higher than our current rent, even with like 20% down (lmao)

it’s possible I’m picking stupid numbers in my estimate but idk. shits crazy and it looks like we’ll be renting until we die

All the numbers I run in my area are like this. Owning a home seems neat but we're absolutely going to rent while the math works like this.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol your title

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

where does she think is normal and what does the judge say

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/brdskggs/status/1637114268876144640

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

The recession is here. The economy just doesn't know it yet. 😎

I've been posting poo poo like this in this thread for years. I've never heard the phrase "ghost jobs" used like that, but I used to do work for companies that developed ATS software and the idea that maybe 1 in 2 job postings is real was just a built-in assumption. Tons of companies do this poo poo where they'll just post a ton of jobs that are technically real but that they have no intention of ever filling unless a unicorn shows up who checks all the boxes and agrees to work for half the going rate.

Our jobs data is bad, bad, bad and anyone who tries to follow it in more detail than "number go up or down over several months?" is an idiot

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Justin Tyme posted:

crazy how if you brought home like $150k 15 years ago you would be living large but now it grants you the privilege of renting the most bog-standard constructed in 1995 one bedroom apartment with beige floors and "luxury" stainless appliances (stainless being standard for like a decade+ now)

also to even be granted the privilege of renting you have to fork over like five loving grand, what the hell are you supposed to do if you're broke but working a decent job?

For my part, I had to find a sublet/airbnb situation until I had the raw cash. Glad I didn't have to rack up a big credit card debt to do it, but that might be what a person in that situation would have to do to have the cash on hand to fork over.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I've been posting poo poo like this in this thread for years. I've never heard the phrase "ghost jobs" used like that, but I used to do work for companies that developed ATS software and the idea that maybe 1 in 2 job postings is real was just a built-in assumption. Tons of companies do this poo poo where they'll just post a ton of jobs that are technically real but that they have no intention of ever filling unless a unicorn shows up who checks all the boxes and agrees to work for half the going rate.

Our jobs data is bad, bad, bad and anyone who tries to follow it in more detail than "number go up or down over several months?" is an idiot

this is why I never apply to anything that won't auto-fill an app for me, never do cover letters, and always lie on screening questions.

(I just got a gig-to-hire offer from the single cover letter I wrote in the last 6 months though so who the gently caress knows)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fitbit got bought by Google at some point I guess and now is the time for the controlled demolition :getin:

Got an email saying they are improving the Fitbit app, by removing challenges and groups. Total doublespeak and it's clear that even if it wasn't their plan from the jump to buy and dismantle Fitbit, they're getting their lunch eaten by the Apple watch. Email had loser energy too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

JamesKPolk posted:

this is why I never apply to anything that won't auto-fill an app for me, never do cover letters, and always lie on screening questions.

(I just got a gig-to-hire offer from the single cover letter I wrote in the last 6 months though so who the gently caress knows)

Yeah, there's just no way to know. The takeaway from the job seeker's perspective is that the employment market is a huge black box and even a lot of the standard advice to try to get around auto-filtering and poo poo like that is a crapshoot between possibly working, not working, and being actively counterproductive because you triggered something intentionally designed to spot abuse.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

ghost jobs lol. call me when they are hungry ghost jobs

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Fitbit got bought by Google at some point I guess and now is the time for the controlled demolition :getin:

Got an email saying they are improving the Fitbit app, by removing challenges and groups. Total doublespeak and it's clear that even if it wasn't their plan from the jump to buy and dismantle Fitbit, they're getting their lunch eaten by the Apple watch. Email had loser energy too.

I love it when I buy something and its functionality is subsequently eroded by a change in corporate ownership

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

skooma512 posted:

Has Google ever successfully assimilated a 3rd party product? Everything I can remember them acquiring dies.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Nothus posted:

Has Google ever successfully assimilated a 3rd party product? Everything I can remember them acquiring dies.

e: read “google” as “Microsoft” oops

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

dads friend steve posted:

github is still working okay after 4 1/2 years

e: probably because they didn’t really assimilate it tho

github is owned by microsoft

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Court case completed for the day. Judgment in 2 weeks.

- Argued with the judge repeatedly about what is normal wear and tear.
- Had no response when the judge asked where the receipts were.
- Argued that pictures of when we lived there are relevant because it means we would leave the house dirty?
- Claimed the grout bag left by the guy who installed the kitchen tile (that she hired) was concrete for the patio. When told the bag clearly says grout she didn't have a response.
- Claimed I threatened to come to her house? When asked for evidence, she said she didn't have any.
- Claimed that because we were paying below market rate for rent, raising rent (that happened to be five days after we threatened to withhold rent) wasn't retaliatory, and it was "only" $200.

The judge cut her off mid-rant at the end and said, "Thanks for your time and judgment in two weeks."

Edit: Her response to the numerous violations of 1950.5(g) was, "I needed more time." When we responded with "The defendant never communicated with us about needing more time, and also did not provide a good faith estimate as per paragraph 3, she didn't have a response.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Mar 20, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is great lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

- Argued that pictures of when we lived there are relevant because it means we would leave the house dirty?
- Claimed the grout bag left by the guy who installed the kitchen tile (that she hired) was concrete for the patio. When told the bag clearly says grout she didn't have a response.
- Claimed I threatened to come to her house? When asked for evidence, she said she didn't have any.
- Claimed that because we were paying below market rate for rent, raising rent (that happened to be five days after we threatened to withhold rent) wasn't retaliatory, and it was "only" $200.

The judge cut her off mid-rant at the end and said, "Thanks for your time, and judgment in two weeks."

:cheers:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

oh jfc :allears:

FlapYoJacks posted:

The judge cut her off mid-rant at the end and said, "Thanks for your time, and judgment in two weeks."

congrats on the victory

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

congrats

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

The judge cut her off mid-rant at the end and said, "Thanks for your time and judgment in two weeks."

Edit: Her response to the numerous violations of 1950.5(g) was, "I needed more time." When we responded with "The defendant never communicated with us about needing more time, and also did not provide a good faith estimate as per paragraph 3, she didn't have a response.

Grats!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've actually had way more success with cover letters than without fwiw. they're tedious and sometimes i gently caress up the template by leaving in an unchanged field from a previous application but hey, seems to work

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

FlapYoJacks posted:

sounds promising

did the judge ask why she didn’t sent out the deposit in the mandated time frame

edit: lol ok

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

sounds promising

did the judge ask why she didn’t sent out the deposit in the mandated time frame

I covered that with my opening statement. She claimed:
- Needed more time.
- It was the holidays
- I was sick
- I didn't have a car.

All in the same sentence. When I mentioned that the date on the deduction list was at 19 days, but the postmark was at 25 days, she didn't have a response.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jerome's personal gremlin here to leak what the Fed is gonna do in 48 hours from now.

https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1637856879081668608

... Inconclusive

The "split the baby" seems to be a 25 point increase and then announcing that they'll see where it goes from there, with some nice cuddly words about valuing the stability of the financial system. I'm not sure what else they can do because potentially igniting more bank runs is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Radirot posted:

oh jfc :allears:

congrats on the victory