Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I had a perfectly fine time in the navy. I would have stayed in if they would have let me change my NEC.

I think it kinda depends on how much time dude has in. If I was over half way to getting my 20 I’d stick it out. Under that? Depends on the job.

Getting kicked in the balls for ten years is not an excuse to get kicked in the balls for ten more.

Especially if you are set up for a nice civ job where you can just shove a 50% base pay retirement into an IRA.

Or a gov job where you get insurance.

Says the guy who got trapped in till 17 and is sticking out the 20 for that 50% and Tricare because he is lazy and likes the stability of getting kicked in the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
If I had stayed in, I'd now be one year away from making more money sitting on my rear end and drinking scotch than I currently make at a worthwhile job.
I still don't regret not making it a career.
In hindsight, getting out right as the recession hit meant that my retirement savings was reset and didn't start building up until my late 30s so staying to 8-10 would have been a decent financial choice.

Still, FTN. I'd rather be pinching pennies and doing good in the world rather than living high on the MIC hog and spending my prime years having done nothing worthwhile for anyone.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Laranzu posted:

Getting kicked in the balls for ten years is not an excuse to get kicked in the balls for ten more.

Especially if you are set up for a nice civ job where you can just shove a 50% base pay retirement into an IRA.

Or a gov job where you get insurance.

Says the guy who got trapped in till 17 and is sticking out the 20 for that 50% and Tricare because he is lazy and likes the stability of getting kicked in the balls.

I hope you're going to medical to complain about everything that hurts. Everything. Hopefully you retire somewhere with a good VA hospital because finding providers that take Tricare is a pain. And you have to pay for it now anyway thanks to The Wall funding.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
100% P&T and a 21 yr E7 retirement is pretty sweet Im not going to lie. Was it worth it? For me yes, I enjoyed my work for the most part and I joined later fully anticipating working 20yrs for a pension. But physically I'm trashed. I would've been trashed by this age working the trades too so at least Im covered.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Flikken posted:

It should just get folded into the Army thread.

They're already in a repurposed Army thread.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
My dad's always telling me I should have stayed din past 10 (lol he did 4 years in the air force in Florida) and how getting out at ten was a waste...except it absolutely wasn't. I've got a baby pension in disability, had a decent amount in my tsp which I rolled into my civ tsp, had 2 kids for free, got a degree for free and I can get my masters for free. Also it dialed up the nihilism so I've got a comfy dod civ job.

I don't know where I'd be if I would have done 20, I'd probably be a disgruntled contractor complaining about my fifth wheel payments but I know for a fact the ten years I wasn't in the navy were unequivocally better than ten more years in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

My dad's always telling me I should have stayed din past 10 (lol he did 4 years in the air force in Florida) and how getting out at ten was a waste...except it absolutely wasn't. I've got a baby pension in disability, had a decent amount in my tsp which I rolled into my civ tsp, had 2 kids for free, got a degree for free and I can get my masters for free. Also it dialed up the nihilism so I've got a comfy dod civ job.

I don't know where I'd be if I would have done 20, I'd probably be a disgruntled contractor complaining about my fifth wheel payments but I know for a fact the ten years I wasn't in the navy were unequivocally better than ten more years in.

Speaking of cushy DoD civ jobs I’m at the last hurdle with security. I really shouldn’t be surprised that the easiest part is holding up the process. I literally just got my /with Poly last month.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

For you guys that did/plan to do 20, what's your sea/shore rotation like?

Even setting aside all the other stuff, the I helped the Navy motherfuck me on my sea shore rotation, and I would have spent 30 months on shore out of a 12 year span if I had stayed in.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Y’all should’ve become reserve officers, instead. This poo poo is great!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AlternateNu posted:

Y’all should’ve become reserve officers, instead. This poo poo is great!

It actually isn't.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elviscat posted:

Even setting aside all the other stuff, the I helped the Navy motherfuck me on my sea shore rotation, and I would have spent 30 months on shore out of a 12 year span if I had stayed in.

I had about 8.5 years of sea duty in 20 years, of which about 28 months was spent at sea. I'd classify about 3-4 years of my time in as a Bad Time and about 9 months as legitimately miserable, most of the rest ranged from "eh it's a job I guess" to "I can't believe they're paying me this much to do this little work."

Overall making a career out of it worked out great for me; I joined with a HS diploma and no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and I'm leaving with a masters degree, an O-4 pension, health care for life, and easy transition to a well-paying contractor job. I'd make the same decision again.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1637606769038852096?s=20

Edit: https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1637622427474698243?s=20

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 20, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
28 months in 8.5 years is eye popping to me. A merchant mariner with a hella good contract and the best of luck would probably do about 51 months in that time.

I did about 20 months in five years as a mate, 16 or so months in four years as a cadet… and that includes 2008/2009 when half the boats were laid up collecting dust.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

FrozenVent posted:

28 months in 8.5 years is eye popping to me. A merchant mariner with a hella good contract and the best of luck would probably do about 51 months in that time.

I did about 20 months in five years as a mate, 16 or so months in four years as a cadet… and that includes 2008/2009 when half the boats were laid up collecting dust.

I did 20 months underway in 36 months of being assigned to an amphib on a combat cargo tour.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I've got 50 months in about 12 years of sailing but that includes 2 years of grad school and several years with just 2 months cause I hate working.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Working does suck. Especially working at sea.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.mycg.uscg.mil/News/Article/3272308/coast-guard-announces-advance-to-position-a2p-beta-test/

Y'all see this? CG is basically saying if you are willing to take a vacant billet that needs filling they'll bump you up for it, in some cases even if you aren't fully eligible.

quote:

Under current policy, when the number of enlisted members available for advancement is insufficient to fill vacancies, the number of members eligible for advancement (above the advancement cutline) is adjusted accordingly. However, this arrangement has limited members’ ability to manage their professional development. The beta test will allow assignment officers (AOs) to offer advancements to members below the advancement cutline, and in some case, to members who wouldn’t otherwise be eligible, in return for accepting an assignment to vacant positions late in the assignment year or to offseason critical fill positions.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So the people who are already in similar positions get....fuckall and laughed at?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elviscat posted:

I'm at 14 years right now, on track for 20, and I've had at most about 15 months of actual underway time.

2.5 years of flight school.
3.5 year sea tour where our deployment got axed due to budget sequestration.
3 year shore tour.
2 year sea tour in a maintenance phase with about 4 total weeks of underway time (mostly on the HMS Queen Elizabeth).
2.5 year sea tour that caught the back half one one deployment and the front half of another.

I'm on my way to a 3 year shore tour, after which I'll owe some sort of lovely sea duty, and then hopefully a final out-the-door shore tour before I go pick up a contractor job or do something completely different while pulling in an O-5 pension.

Even by the already high standards of sky nobles I've had a pretty lenient career, surpassed only by a few exceptional carcinopatriarchal IT reservists. Overall the lovely parts have been balanced out by the opportunity to do some really cool, unique stuff and work with some awesome people. Now, in my own little corner of the Navy, I get to see new guys referencing chapters that I've written or briefs that I've built as a WTI, and seeing those people grow in their own careers and carry on that work is a great feeling. Insofar as we've all got to do something for a living, this one feels pretty worthwhile.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Four years in the Navy, one year conscripted, three years enlisted. About 3 years and 4 months of sea duty, with probably 30% of that being underway.

I'm a plank owner of the first new frigate we'd commissioned in 50 years, helped write the book on operations and damage control... Only to watch some absolute chucklefucks sink a sister ship after not following the book some years later. Yes it pisses me off, why do you ask?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Non-Aegis FC. 6 years in, 18 months for Boot/A/C, 4.5 on a CVN. 30 months out to sea. 2 x 9-month deployments, 3 months of workups/drawdowns on either end and then 9 months at PSNS which was pretty awful.

Most of the people that stayed in ended up at Great Lakes or immediately went IA. I think most everyone had made Chief by the time they went back to Sea Duty 2 (almost always another CVN). Most everyone I was in with is sitting right at 18 right now. Couple of O-4s from people that went STA-21 early, one guy just went LDO and I think we've got an FCCM in the group. If you stay in for 20 I'm guessing you'd end up with probably of 3rd of it just being underway time if you cobble it all together.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SerthVarnee posted:

So the people who are already in similar positions get....fuckall and laughed at?

There's nobody in those positions right now I think is the problem.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Well not in those specific positions, true.
But what about people on different boats with equal positions to the ones they are trying to fill?

Like I get that it is very important to have a guy pinching the nose of the sub so it doesn't let in water when diving.
But if I was on a different sub pinching that nose and I saw that they are willing to promote anyone who goes to pinch the nose of that sub over there (and presumably won't be allowing me to just switch boat for a career boost) I'd probably feel a bit underappreciated.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

SerthVarnee posted:

Well not in those specific positions, true.
But what about people on different boats with equal positions to the ones they are trying to fill?

Like I get that it is very important to have a guy pinching the nose of the sub so it doesn't let in water when diving.
But if I was on a different sub pinching that nose and I saw that they are willing to promote anyone who goes to pinch the nose of that sub over there (and presumably won't be allowing me to just switch boat for a career boost) I'd probably feel a bit underappreciated.

The problem as I understand it from the CG thread is that there aren’t enough junior sub nose pinchers available to fill the billets for the open sub nose pinchers. This isn’t preventing the movement from the CG equivalent of the Kitty Hawk to the CG Nimitz, it is more like across the entire CG they have 100 sub nose pincher billets, and they have 40 CG personnel available to fill those billets. Therefore the next 60 CG folk, regardless of their sub nose pinching qualifications are going to become sub nose pinchers if they want it.

If you’re on the Kitty as sub nose pincher junior grade 3 and they have a billet on the CG Nimitz for a Chief Sub Nose Pincher and you want it? Sure thing, here’s your OJT material and your quals will be done underway and no you’re not going to get 4 hours a week as study time new Chief Sun Nose Pincher.

Of course I’m a civvy so I may have mangled the metaphor here a bit.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
My sea/ shore flow is 36/ 36. I've been in for 22 years this month. 15 years of which have been on Sea Duty. In my community, the counter only advances when underway, and I have done 5 boat deployments and one shore based to Kuwait.

Ask me about bad decisions. The back to back to back sea tour was due to ERB and needing to get my family back when my FIL passed from cancer.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

tacopie posted:

My sea/ shore flow is 36/ 36. I've been in for 22 years this month. 15 years of which have been on Sea Duty. In my community, the counter only advances when underway, and I have done 5 boat deployments and one shore based to Kuwait.

Ask me about bad decisions. The back to back to back sea tour was due to ERB and needing to get my family back when my FIL passed from cancer.

17 years. I've done one sea tour ever. That was 3 deployment cycles as direct support though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
My sea/shore was 60/36, I can't even imagine a 36/36, even though I guess thats not how it worked out for you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

2 year sea tour in a maintenance phase with about 4 total weeks of underway time (mostly on the HMS Queen Elizabeth).
(sidetrack) Which particular Queen Elizabeth was she named for?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(sidetrack) Which particular Queen Elizabeth was she named for?

Probably Elizabeth I. They tend not to name ships for living people.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah it’s named after Betsy 1.0.

Even the liner Queen Elizabeth 2 is named after the liner Queen Elizabeth, which was so named in honour of Elizabeth I.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well gently caress I finally got my start date for my gs11 position in the yards…

I’ve accomplished all my goals I set when I joined the reserves.

gently caress. Time to go back to school or something and make new goals.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Well gently caress I finally got my start date for my gs11 position in the yards…

Hekk posted:

You should enlist in the Marine Corps. You get E-2 out of boot camp for being prior service.

I need someone to help keep the USMC thread alive and I am getting old.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Even if I wasn’t too old to switch to them I’d sooner hit my dick with a hammer than submit to that torture and degradation that is the Marines.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Goal: MCPON Crab Dad

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bennyfactor posted:

Waiting on testing results just for chief first sheesh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bennyfactor posted:

Well he’s an O-2 equivalent now so he’d outrank himself by Grover rules.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

Waiting on testing results just for chief first sheesh.

If this tale has taught me anything, it's that you'll make it or you'll get a by-name-request assignment as some admiral's mai tai tester on a beach.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

We joke but this was a thread title five freaking years ago

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

some admiral's mai tai tester on a beach.

Sounds like a badass collateral detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Saw this on FB so I just took a screenshot. I accidently read the comments and that was a shitshow.

Personally, I think she has the perfect attitude to be an STS.