Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

That’s a wet pallette.

Indeed, I just don't see the paper and the paint has a weird bleed effect as if it was directly on the sponge instead of the paper above the sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Posigniat posted:

My wife is putting together Kruleboyz and she is in love with the aesthetic but the sheer number of gribbly bits on even the basic units is making her regret her choice of army.

Super good deal on the Dominion box for around a hundred bucks BTW, makes 40k prices seem even more absurd and my local gaming store had two of the things just sitting around.

I started on the same box a few weeks back and they are pretty gribbly plus I hate "easy to build" so that's a joy.

Also I agree with the other poster (phone posting here) saying that looks like a wet palette with no paper on it.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

I started on the same box a few weeks back and they are pretty gribbly plus I hate "easy to build" so that's a joy.

Also I agree with the other poster (phone posting here) saying that looks like a wet palette with no paper on it.

Yeah it's probably a bit too wet, picked it up for her birthday and neither of us have ever used one and I went off a guide I found online that said a few mm of water should always be in the tray. Definitely paper in there, just slick.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Covermeinsunshine posted:

2 good things I can say about conquest is that city states are cool and the way actiations work is something aos could use.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Conquest: last argument of kings is way better than the name would lead you to believe.

I am really tempted by Conquest although I have no one to play it with and too many unfinished products already. However I find their models a mix or really interesting ideas, and some stuff that visually doesn't come together for me.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I've been trying to get into AoS and I love some of the factions, but my problem is everything is so over the top and epic, nothing really feels special to me.
And I really cant get my head around the geography, and how the politics would work in a setting like this. I am still waiting for the setting to click for me. The comparison to Planescape is very helpful.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Putrid Grin posted:

I've been trying to get into AoS and I love some of the factions, but my problem is everything is so over the top and epic, nothing really feels special to me.
And I really cant get my head around the geography, and how the politics would work in a setting like this. I am still waiting for the setting to click for me. The comparison to Planescape is very helpful.

See this is puzzling to me - probably because I have read a lot of aos books, but what is so confusing about the setting? Like the fact that Karaz-a-Karak is built inside the mountain and Barak-Urbaz hangs above one does not change the fact that they are still dwarf towns with most of the stuff that entitles.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Putrid Grin posted:

I slapped it into Norse mythology and the realms thing made a lot more sense and clicked. The infinite size and infinite cities thing was a little dorky but I can get behind the over the top aspect.

Love me some Total War Warhammer but everyone just seemed like real world adjacent and started to fall apart a little lore wise for me.

The models also own absolute bones. I've been playing 40k off and on since the early 2000's and these are the best models they've ever put out, period. Lots of detail and posing and each army feels visually distinct from one another. The centerpiece models are so cool it's shameful. My favorite are the star slann lords, Holy poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Posigniat posted:

Yeah it's probably a bit too wet, picked it up for her birthday and neither of us have ever used one and I went off a guide I found online that said a few mm of water should always be in the tray. Definitely paper in there, just slick.

fascinating! I've never seen that happen on my wet palette like that before, which is why I asked.

Anyways yeah I can totally understand about the tons of fiddly bits. It seems like AoS is more common like that; my friend has sylvaneth? the wood elves one, and everything has a ton of easily wisps and trailing pieces of plastic that would get on my nerves

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

See this is puzzling to me - probably because I have read a lot of aos books, but what is so confusing about the setting? Like the fact that Karaz-a-Karak is built inside the mountain and Barak-Urbaz hangs above one does not change the fact that they are still dwarf towns with most of the stuff that entitles.

I am thinking about the grand scale of it all. So there are nigh infinite landmasses that float in space and the only way between them is magical portals. Why are the dawnbringer crusades a thing, if there is enough isolated space for everyone . Why would Kruleboyes care about what happens in the Shyish realms? And the whole concept of an underwold that can be colonised by the living is something that just doesnt sit well with me...
With things being so alien it is hard to imagine what does the mundane life and everyday survival looks like. Maybe I need to get into more supplemental material to get my head wrapped around it.

Posigniat posted:

The models also own absolute bones. I've been playing 40k off and on since the early 2000's and these are the best models they've ever put out, period. Lots of detail and posing and each army feels visually distinct from one another. The centerpiece models are so cool it's shameful. My favorite are the star slann lords, Holy poo poo.

Slann getting new models is a miracle. I wish Skaven are next.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm willing to bet "Karl Franz & The Empire is mustering their State Troops to fight the Orcs in Black Fire Pass" is way easier to approach than "The Excelsior Stormhost is sending their Castigators to fight the Kruleboyz at the Glittergale Crevasse" to someone that hasn't read thousands of pages of AOS lore.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The realms aren't infinite. We dunno how big they are precisely but judging from the maps, not very. Like, smallish European country size, not entire planet size.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

I am really tempted by Conquest although I have no one to play it with and too many unfinished products already. However I find their models a mix or really interesting ideas, and some stuff that visually doesn't come together for me.

Conquest is really stale in terms of gameplay and the designers are assholes who balance things based on how mad it makes them instead of playtesting data. After 40 games and three tournaments I sold it off happily.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

If they refresh Skaven I'll be sorely tempted to start another faction. Or if theh merge the dead people into one big undead horde, want ghosts and black coaches and Egyptian bone boys all riding together.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Putrid Grin posted:

I am thinking about the grand scale of it all. So there are nigh infinite landmasses that float in space and the only way between them is magical portals. Why are the dawnbringer crusades a thing, if there is enough isolated space for everyone . Why would Kruleboyes care about what happens in the Shyish realms? And the whole concept of an underwold that can be colonised by the living is something that just doesnt sit well with me...
With things being so alien it is hard to imagine what does the mundane life and everyday survival looks like. Maybe I need to get into more supplemental material to get my head wrapped around it.

Ok so to clarify few things
1. Realms are not infinite - they are large but the issue is closer to the edge you get they become more hostile to life. Wall of fire hostile.
2. Dawnbringer crusades are a thing because while space is not an issue livable space is. Age of Sigmar is post-apocalyptic setting. Civilizations of old colapsed everywhere outside of Azyr and for example Great Parch (setting of early 1st edition that now is a hub of life for Aqshy) is still Africa sized landmass that is 70% overrun by murder-rape-cannibals.
3. Because livable space is at premium you build cities where it makes sense because there is something there that makes the effort worth it. For example Brightspear is built around citadel left over by empire that used to rule the region and leftover its super-toys.
4. I mean those Kruleboys that live in shyish probably care a lot (for example because whole plane is slowly colapsing inward). You should always care about newest Nagash shenanigans

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Posigniat posted:

It doesn't look too wet to me but then again I also can't see the paper so I'm just over here :thunk:ing myself.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm willing to bet "Karl Franz & The Empire is mustering their State Troops to fight the Orcs in Black Fire Pass" is way easier to approach than "The Excelsior Stormhost is sending their Castigators to fight the Kruleboyz at the Glittergale Crevasse" to someone that hasn't read thousands of pages of AOS lore.

If I didn't know before who Franz is I would still be miffed. Or I probably wouldn't because both of those are "some dudes are going to fight some probably bad dudes in some place". This is not some mind-blowing concept unless one is easily confused by weird words

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

4. I mean those Kruleboys that live in shyish probably care a lot (for example because whole plane is slowly colapsing inward). You should always care about newest Nagash shenanigans
Didn't Teclis put a stop to that collapse? I think it was back in Broken Realms: Teclis when the Lumineth invaded Shyish, stopped the Necroquake, and gave back its stability.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Talas posted:

Didn't Teclis put a stop to that collapse? I think it was back in Broken Realms: Teclis when the Lumineth invaded Shyish, stopped the Necroquake, and gave back its stability.

Yeah he did manage to anchor it and since Nagash got punched out later on I would assume he didn't have time to do anything about it. Cubicle 7 has Ulfenkarn (city form Cursed City) supplement in the works and since it is located near the edge of the colapse it might give us some details on it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

If I didn't know before who Franz is I would still be miffed. Or I probably wouldn't because both of those are "some dudes are going to fight some probably bad dudes in some place". This is not some mind-blowing concept unless one is easily confused by weird words

Just saying the volume of nounverb in AOS can be confusing to someone just trying to get into the lore. Someone generally aware of fantasy tropes can see "oh this is a dwarf and does dwarf things" and get plugged in, whereas the same person may just throw up their hands at Duardin (tm) and the Aethergold Libertarian Sky-Technocracy without giving it a chance

Also not too sure if "have you considered being less confused by weird words?" is saying what you want it to re: why people might be put off by the setting

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

zerofiend posted:

Conquest is really stale in terms of gameplay and the designers are assholes who balance things based on how mad it makes them instead of playtesting data. After 40 games and three tournaments I sold it off happily.

Good to know I guess, thanks for the warning. It certainly has some kind of heartbreaker energy about it. Their website sort of talks about it as if it's a huge deal, whereas actually, although I suppose it's not nothing to produce hard plastic miniatures, it simply doesn't seem that fleshed out.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

The activation stack is a legitimately cool mechanic that is wasted on a game with really shallow design, unfortunately.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just think their Dwarves look cool.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

S.J. posted:

Don't you mean Dweghom (tm)? But on a serious note minis are probably the biggest selling point of that game. Byzantine undead and steampunk greeks are where its at.

As far as rules I could imagine activation stack being a replacement for standard turn structure but I do believe GW is too stuck in its ways to fully abolish that for any of their big games.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Because WHFB was such a 1-for-1 pastiche anyone with basic knowledge could immediately grasp who Karl Franz or Vlad Von Carstien or any other obvious ripoff is, where they live and what they do.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

zerofiend posted:

The activation stack is a legitimately cool mechanic that is wasted on a game with really shallow design, unfortunately.

Oh, what is activation stack? The only thing I'd gleaned about the rules is that your units arrive throughout the game as light-medium-heavy, so while the latter are the most formidable, you don't get to bring them into play as early, so it's a matter of what you invest in. Which didn't super make sense to me but at least is something different.

S.J. posted:

This was also my thought.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

sasha_d3ath posted:

I would equally challenge somebody to explain WHF to a stranger in two minutes without it sounding boring, or them going "Oh! Warcraft!"

It's the 30 years war except they worship Conan the Barbarian instead of Jesus

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Business Gorillas posted:

I'd challenge anyone who thinks AOS is a better setting to sit some idiot off the street down and try to explain the setting in 2 minutes

Edit: bonus points if you do it using all the IP terms GW insists on using

It's He-Man but with goofier names

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A man on the street would punch you in the head for explaining either setting hth

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh, what is activation stack? The only thing I'd gleaned about the rules is that your units arrive throughout the game as light-medium-heavy, so while the latter are the most formidable, you don't get to bring them into play as early, so it's a matter of what you invest in. Which didn't super make sense to me but at least is something different.

This was also my thought.

The game alternates activations between players per unit, but you have to pre-plan your activations for the turn before you even know who has first activation. So you have to anticipate what they're going to move first to not end up out of position. It's legitimately a cool mechanic but the rest of the game is mediocre.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

zerofiend posted:

The game alternates activations between players per unit, but you have to pre-plan your activations for the turn before you even know who has first activation. So you have to anticipate what they're going to move first to not end up out of position. It's legitimately a cool mechanic but the rest of the game is mediocre.
While it's not the stack system, now I'm really hankering for a rank and flank with alternating activations that incorporates Armadas dial system, where you have to order bigger units more turns in advance to simulate their more ponderous command. Highly doubt GW is gonna take any risks like that with Old World though.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

zerofiend posted:

Oh, got it. Very interesting although it's hard to envision how it affects tactics without understanding how maneuver and combat work in the game.

hoiyes posted:

While it's not the stack system, now I'm really hankering for a rank and flank with alternating activations that incorporates Armadas dial system, where you have to order bigger units more turns in advance to simulate their more ponderous command. Highly doubt GW is gonna take any risks like that with Old World though.

This also sounds super interesting but I think of delayed-execution Orders as more of a classic, serious, kriegspiel-type wargames thing. I'm not sure modern, casual players in a Warhammer-dominated world would embrace it. I also think it is used in a tradition where the bulk of the tactics was where you moved and whether you fired, charged, retreated etc. It sort of clashes with the more game-y tactics of AoS/40k (and most other modern games) where a good half of the tactics is the special abilities you activate, firing off buffs, debuffs etc. You'd have a question over whether those are delayed or chosen on the spot.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Warmaster abstracted this delay down to rolling to see if the unit received the order and if they did not get it they got stuck. And I think this is fine compromise instead of trying to go for realism to describe situation where dudes with pikes are stabbing trolls that in turn vomit acid over poor unfortunate johann.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

Does this make the von Carsteins the Hapsburgs in this metaphor because I'm kinda here for that

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
"These knight guys fight these orc guys"
"Oh that's cool"

I have now summed up the average conversation you will have with someone who is totally new to the hobby.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Blood Boils posted:

I would be shocked if your average US person is even aware of the 30 years war, probably slightly higher awareness in Europe.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Geisladisk posted:

The realms aren't infinite. We dunno how big they are precisely but judging from the maps, not very. Like, smallish European country size, not entire planet size.

They're way bigger then that, GW hasn't given exact sizes but each realm has a a livable area larger then the Earth. The core book says traveling from one end to another would take longer then someone's entire lifetime.

The same thing means you don't really need to wrap your head around the whole setting, you can just think about specific areas. Some random person in Aqshy doesn't need to worry about what's going on in Chamon unless it's going to impact their life somehow.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

I thought painting this was going to be a nightmare but it rules actually, the pose is just open enough to get everything and there's no hosed up confluences of skin and leather straps next to metal and cloth to drive you nuts.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Since the Adepticon reveals are in roughly a day or so, what all are people hoping to see?

We can safely assume more Lizardmans. Personally, I'm hoping for a streamlining of Warhammer Underworlds. I loved the Shadespire-era, but it's just so massively unwieldy and competitive now that I don't know that I care to buy in any more than the Shadespire base set and expansions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A full Seraphon is bound to happen.

https://twitter.com/warhammer/status/1638148700630310912
No idea if this teaser is Dawnbringer crusades related or not, definitely doesn't feel chaos-y enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

neaden posted:

They're way bigger then that, GW hasn't given exact sizes but each realm has a a livable area larger then the Earth. The core book says traveling from one end to another would take longer then someone's entire lifetime.

The same thing means you don't really need to wrap your head around the whole setting, you can just think about specific areas. Some random person in Aqshy doesn't need to worry about what's going on in Chamon unless it's going to impact their life somehow.

From what ive seen the realms respective elements also get more intense the further from the center

So the realm of fire is warm and homey in the middle but as you stray further out, volcanos and eternal fires blaze.

The edges themselves are just pure magical fire

A thing i would love to see is a concept i came up with for a narrative game. I called them shard realms where pieces of the other realms collided with eachother and made little hospitable realms that you could fight over.