Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Rythian posted:

Honestly just waiting for Edgeworth to realize he's stuck with us, unless he wants to defend himself.

Crap, he's going to want to defend himself, for sure.

Is it too late to change the protagonist?

Maybe our investigation will end with Phoenix convincing himself that Edgeworth is guilty. And then Phoenix will be the prosecutor, while we play Edgeworth defending himself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

blackmongoose posted:

A Steel Samurai box set autographed by Will Powers

Alternatively, we get Will Powers to come in dressed as the Steel Samurai, extolling Edgeworth to fight for justice alongside Phoenix.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rythian posted:

Honestly just waiting for Edgeworth to realize he's stuck with us, unless he wants to defend himself.

Crap, he's going to want to defend himself, for sure.

Please, Edgeworth has principles. He's going to want to prosecute himself.

This is why he does not want to be defended by the only lawyer to beat him in court, because it would give him worse odds of successful prosecution.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

Three updates on this page already. It seems we still don't really know enough to spark much discussion. So I'll throw out some bait - any thoughts on what we're going to have to do to get Edgeworth to agree to let us defend him?

Convey his peril in interpretive dance.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Incidentally, I think Edgeworth refusing to be represented is the real failure state of failing to nail Vasquez last case. They just couldn't show it in case 3 without spoiling case 4.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Please, Edgeworth has principles. He's going to want to prosecute himself.

This is why he does not want to be defended by the only lawyer to beat him in court, because it would give him worse odds of successful prosecution.

*Edgeworth running back and forth between the prosecutor's and defendant's benches*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Edgeworth said Nick is a rookie, so we just gotta show him, and go win some more cases. He'll come around!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think the answer is wine and some case files.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think we just haven't shown him our badge enough! We have to show him we have the persistence and tenacity to win the case!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

LJN92 posted:

Alternatively, we get Will Powers to come in dressed as the Steel Samurai, extolling Edgeworth to fight for justice alongside Phoenix.

Please, Edgeworth has shown himself to be a cultured and sophisticated lad. It'd have to be Powers as the pink princess, she's the one that's all the rage since the steel samurai ended.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Show Edgeworth that his court appointed defense attorney will be even worse than Phoenix. Larry, are you up for impersonating that court appointee?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

achtungnight posted:

Show Edgeworth that his court appointed defense attorney will be even worse than Phoenix. Larry, are you up for impersonating that court appointee?

just bring in winston payne and remind edgeworth that this is the general caliber of lawyer the japanifornia courts have

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Leraika posted:

just bring in winston payne and remind edgeworth that this is the general caliber of lawyer the japanifornia courts have

Payne is a prosecutor. And I assume him representing the general caliber of prosecutor Japanifornia has is a constant source of pain for Edgeworth.

Also a person who represents himself in court has a fool for a client but if the prosecutor was Payne then with God as their witness even that fool could win, no need to call for Nick.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm aware that payne is a prosecutor, which is why I said 'lawyer' and not 'defender'.

Basically Phoenix is exceptional despite bluffing his way through every case, which means most guys are probably more like Payne.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Winston is the typical Japanifornia prosecuter, and the conviction rate is that high, what does the typical defense attorney look like? Do they just drop an attorney badge in a bowl of tapioca and call it a day?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

YggiDee posted:

If Winston is the typical Japanifornia prosecuter, and the conviction rate is that high, what does the typical defense attorney look like? Do they just drop an attorney badge in a bowl of tapioca and call it a day?

Have you seen those trials? A bowl of tapioca could successfully prosecute a lot of them, the deck is that stacked.

Nick is honestly lucking in getting Judge Judge assigned every time since the old geezer is not senile yet, he's always awake during trial, and he's willing to give the defense a lot of latitude no matter how gonzo the theory gets on its face.

Edit: while obviously the Judge is now a series in-joke my personal explanation is that after the first couple trials he's decided to pull strings and seniority to get assigned every time Nick is defending someone because Nick's shows beat all entertainment out there

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 17, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, we met Mia, who was murdered for being too competent, and that Grodyburger guy, who was compromised to the point where he wouldn't even defend Mia's sister because the murderer pressured him not to.

And he's supposed to be one of the best in the field, so I dread to imagine what a typical defense attorney looks like.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 81: Episode 4, Day 1, Investigation: Police Loyalty

Oh man, I remember the giant box computers and monitors.

Hey!
Sound: Damage 2

Sound: Objection

Detective Gumshoe!
Sound: Light Bulb

Well that doesn't sound like it went well for us.

(I get the feeling we're in for some bad news...)

quote:

If we come here before meeting Lotta Hart, Gumshoe is still in the meeting and we get a different scene...

Looks like Detective Gumshoe isn't here.

Something wrong, miss?

Hmm? Turning yourself in?

Okay, what did you do? Shoplifting? Larceny? Public indecency...?

N-no! None of those things!

We're looking for Detective Gumshoe... Is he around?

Gumshoe?

Oh yeah. He's in a meeting right now.

I don't think he'll be out any time soon.

Okay, we'll come back.

You do that.

Oh, and go straight home and stay out of trouble.

No more shoplifting, you got that?

Do I look like a criminal or something?

Don't take it personally, Maya. These people think everyone is guilty of something.

Music: Dick Gumshoe - Detective Gumshoe, Pal

All right, let's look around.

Starting with this character. He looks a bit like Winston Payne, that prosecutor we faced back in the tutorial.

This must be the chief of detectives here.

He's glued to his computer screen.

"Gourdy sighted"!!! I don't believe it!

(Shouldn't you be reading something more important...?)

Maybe just a relation to Mr. Payne then. He seems about as competent.

A poster of a female police officer...

On display for the whole office, below the clock everyone has to look at, right behind the chief's desk. Really selling this character already.

The chief also has a stuffed animal on display? Is he a giant child?

Hey, is that the police department's mascot...?

That's the "Blue Badger"!

Oooookay then.

I... see. How nice.

I'll get him assigned mascot of the Criminal Affairs Dept. if it's the last thing I do!

Um, good luck!

These are the detectives' desks.

I guess the detectives don't spend a lot of time at their desks.

Only one other guy hanging around.

That must be one of the detectives.

He's mumbling something to himself.

"All right, hands against the wall, all o' you..."

He must be doing image training for arrests.

quote:

This conversation changes depending on when you examine him. If we visit before meeting Lotta Hart (so Gumshoe is still stuck in his meeting), this guy is on a different training topic.

"...your mama could see you know she'd be cryin'..."

"...a break and spit it out, you lowlife scumbag..."

He must be doing image training for interrogations.

Let's see if Gumshoe will tell us any more about what's going on now.

Do you know anything about the victim yet?

No, no... Still can't I.D. him.

Not a word.

Now that's odd. We have no idea who the victim is still. We learned that fact pretty early on in every other episode.

So, how did the meeting go?

Oh come on, we're not going let that get in the way now, are we?

T-true...

Y'know...

Sure, Mr. Edgeworth's human like you or me.

Still...

He would probably line up to prosecute himself.

That's just the kind of guy he is.

Sound: Super Shock

So, they think that Mr. Edgeworth did it...?

I see...

Umm... hey, in the end you did tell us about the meeting!

Y-yes, sir!

And... do me a favor!

Stand by Mr. Edgeworth!

Sound: Whack

I'm sure we won't have any choice in the matter anyway. But he still won't even talk to us.

I'm sure he's got some reason why he won't talk to us.

Thanks, Detective Gumshoe.

New topic!

Detective Gumshoe...

Well, I'd think that was obvious.

We got a strong working relationship, us two.

That's not how I remember half of his testimonies.

A "working relationship"?
Sound: Realization

Almost every time, now.

Yeah, his methods might be a little extreme at times.

But... there's a reason!

That trust is... horribly misplaced, from what I've seen.

That's why I work extra hard, pal.

I see...

And you have my word on that!

After all that, we're finally allowed to ask about the autopsy report.

I was wondering, did you ever get that autopsy report?

Oh, that? Yeah, I made a copy for you.

Sound: Select Jingle

That time of death is awfully vague.

Thank you.

...Nick?

Huh?

Music: Silence

Nope, don't recognize him.

That face...!

Someone you know?

I... I don't know.

Maybe if we ask about the autopsy report again, Maya will remember some more?

(Maya seems lost in thought.)

(Guess not.)

Time for the evidence parade!

No luck with the badge this time. The camera is a bust, too.

This autopsy report, however...

Thanks, Detective.

Also a bust, but Gumshoe is adorable.

We've got a new piece of evidence with that autopsy report, let's show it around.

I don't even need to present it to Maya, we get this scene for free upon returning to our office.

What is it?

Oh.

Sound: Shock 2

Some of the plot triggers this episode would be pretty tricky if I weren't practicing good adventure game habits. Clicking on everything, showing everyone everything, going everywhere every time something changes...

This guy!

This episode is going to be all kinds of tangled, isn't it? Our client is our former enemy with whom we have some kind of past connection. Now our victim has a connection to our former boss, and the victim two episodes ago?

Music: Investigation - Core

I met him once when I went there to hang out with Sis!

That office...?

Wait!

We're just going to be full of callbacks here. How is Edgeworth of all people connected to these two?

Right! That guy!

(That was the last name I expected to come up...)

(Maybe I should go talk to him... for old time's sake.)

We are rewarded with some new conversation responses, proving that we're on the right track.

Well, what should we do?

Hmm...

And Mr. Edgeworth won't tell us anything.

Right.

Is that a hint that Lotta has a picture ready for us?

Well? Penny for your thoughts?

Thoughts... Thoughts...

And... and...

What a jerk!

Any more to say about the victim?

Nick...

Let's go talk to him! Mr. Grossberg, I mean, not the dead guy.

Sure enough, we can now visit Grossberg again. Or we could check in with Lotta at the lake. What should we do?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
oh hey we were just talking about lawyers who aren't Phoenix, we should get the scoop on this guy at Grodyburger's office

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

[Zalgo]It's here. Ia ia ftaghn[/zalgo]

Anyways, Grossberg was useless and grossly incompetent once, I think we should give him an opportunity to be so again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If we want to get anything out of Grossberg, we're going to have to gird ourselves for climbing a big mountain of waffling, but it needs to be done. Grossberg

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Well, at least there's nobody around to blackmail Grossberg into being the most unhelpful person imaginable this time, right?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's right, so he'll be being the most unhelpful person imaginable of his own free will this time.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Don't be too hard on Grodyburger, he must be so sad now that his lover's in prison.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm pretty sure that Edgeworth did it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

...! posted:

I'm pretty sure that Edgeworth did it

He found Gourdy!?!? Why are we bothering to talk about this murder trial?

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 82: Episode 4, Day 1, Investigation: Returning Favorite

Well I completely misread that decision. I wanted no part of talking to Grossberg again, but apparently you are all very interested in learning more about the victim. Let's do it!

He still hasn't gotten that painting back. Or even replaced it. Kind of odd with how well-maintained he keeps the rest of the office.

It's been a while since I was here last.

Mr. Grossberg is out as usual.

(That painting is still missing...)

(Mia must have known about the deal with Mr. Grossberg and Redd White...)

(She kept track of all of White's extortion and blackmail rackets.)

That's an interesting point. Did Mia intentionally tell Maya to go to Grossberg if she got in trouble, knowing it would lead to White? Why would she trust Grossberg otherwise?

Anyway, those hoping to talk to Grossberg are going to be disappointed; he's not here. I guess we haven't hit the right plot trigger yet.

We can still look around, and get Maya's input on this wonderful office.

A big painting was hanging there until recently.

Huh. What happened to it?

Uh... well, he gave it to someone.

....My polls have been taken over by the Grossberg-White shippers who wanted to see that line, haven't they?

Uh... yeah.

Expensive-looking mahogany bookshelves, filled with expensive-looking books.

Hmm... funny... They don't look like they've ever been read.

Thief Maya is back! Phoenix wouldn't read the books either, Maya.

Uh, we don't need them.

Then, can we take that wooden bear?

(Hmm. It is kind of cute.)

A solid mahogany desk.

The wood's been polished to a deep luster.

I don't know. I don't think I'm ready to sit at a desk like that yet.

Huh?

I meant for me!

You'd better start saving your allowance, then.

Does Phoenix not pay her for her assistant job? Is she just hanging around because she has nothing better to do in between spirit medium training? She's still just 17, does she ever have to go to school or anything?

A table for clients.

Hmm... an elegant ebony case, and if I'm not mistaken, that lighter's made of solid gold.

Even I can tell someone here's got money to burn.

I'm not really into smoking.

We could put out candy, or gum.

Classy...

An expensive potted plant.

No idea what kind of plant it is, but it's probably the most expensive one available.

Right. He's a really cute... plant.

Except for the wall, all of these initial examination lines from Phoenix are the same as in the second episode. We just get Maya's reactions tacked onto them. I've noticed a pattern where if a scene has boring examine dialogue, it's probably because we'll be back at the scene with another person later.

Nothing going on anywhere else, so let's head back to the woods and hope Lotta Hart has something good for us.

A scene intro is a good sign.

Music: Happy People

Lotta!

Bingo...?

Two? Are they both the same?

Hey!

The hell? This gives me nothing!

Wait...!

He could be handing him a flashlight for all I can tell. You can't tell if they're really "he"s or not, even.

I-it looks like that, yes.

I'm sure this is an old-style camera but I could've really used a timestamp on this photo.

But, y'know...

What...?

Sure you are. Just like you're set up to look for meteor showers.

Whaaaaaaa!?

A-are you serious!?

Course!

(How do you forget... Never mind.)

Uh, I guess? I don't suppose you'd tell us what you "remembered" first?

I... reckon so!

What's that?

But... that's not... ah, whatever.

I'm a sensitive lady!

quote:

Trying to get her not to tell the cops is fruitless:

I... reckon no!

What's that?

Now don't y'all think y'all can pull one over on me just cause you speak the lingo!

I know enough to know that when you see a murder, you'd best tell the cops!

It's my obligation as a citizen!

Hey, so, I'm off to talk to the cops.

Later.

And she's gone. She'll be fun on the stand.

W-w-wait! Lotta!

T-tell us what you saw, too! Please?

Nice try, honey, but I wasn't born yesterday.

Where do they find all these conscientious witnesses who know not to blab their story to everyone they see?

I'd sooner eat the south side of a north-bound skunk than tell you!

L-Lotta!

Or was that the other way round? No matter. I'm gone!

She left...

(Well, if she saw something, there's not much we can do about it.)

(The question is: what exactly did she see...?)

(I guess we'll find out in the trial tomorrow.)

Sweet, there is a timestamp after all! I half-expected to go straight to trial here, despite knowing almost nothing about this case. But we probably need to get Edgeworth to let us represent him first. Somehow.

Looks like the camera has something it wants to say.

An expensive-looking camera faces the lake.

Hmm. Looks like a computer is attached to the camera.

Lotta's gone, go poke around the computer! I want to see more pictures! No?

Well, last time we were stuck with a client who didn't want us representing them, we had to go talk to Grossberg. Maybe he'll actually be there now, and help us out again somehow.

But first, apparently something is happening at the beach.

Hey!

Oh, Santa's here. Sure, why not.

Aah!
Sound: Stab

N-Nick! I think Santa's mad at you!

Don't be ridiculous!

Dude, it's me!

L... Larry!

Oh hell no, I'm out.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

DKII posted:

Oh hell no, I'm out.

Not really, in case anyone has some trauma from a prior LP of this game getting abandoned at this same point.

I must say, though, that is an elaborate Santa disguise. Fake nose and everything!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Larry is the best, why so much negativity around him? :)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Omobono posted:

Well, you know what they say: if something smells, it's usually the Butz.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

Oh hell no, I'm out.

:cawg:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Omobono posted:

Larry certainly is sweet and precious but with friends like him, who needs enemies?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Larry! We were just talking about you!

Wonder if he’ll turn out to be the killer this time and Phoenix will be mocked for not letting him hang sooner. I’ve seen other legal thrillers use such a plot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The police chief clearly had Maya's number. She is a hoodlum.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 83: Episode 4, Day 1, Investigation: Daddy Issues

We left off with...meeting Larry again.

What are you doing here!?

I sell Samurai Dogs! Want one?

(K-Kiyance...? Not another model, I hope...)

Oh, Kiyance's a fine, fine woman, Nick.

The ridiculous/happy people theme music once again picks a winner. This guy...

She bought this costume for me!

That... that's great, Larry.

Whoa! Cute!
Sound: Stab 2

Sound: Drama Pound

Not my... what? N-no, she's not!

I'm, uh, the little sister.

Sister...?

Wow, Nick, must be tough.

N-no, I'm not Nick's sister, I'm my older sister's little sister...

Huh. Sounds great!

(Don't worry, Maya, he's not listening...)

We're just bringing back every prior character, huh?

So, Larry, you run this thriving hot dog stand, huh?

I can't get over the Samurai Dogs...

The "Original" Samurai Dogs, no less.

Why don't you add "world-famous" to the sign?

Hey, good idea!

(What have I done...?)

Hey, Nick, benches!

I think not.

It's too cold to sit and eat hotdogs out here!

Wimpy city boy!

Hmmmm no thanks.

I guess we have to talk to Larry now.

Hey, Larry.

There was a murder here last night...

And since you work here... Have you heard anything?

Last night was Christmas Eve!

He was with Kiyance, obviously!

Sound: Stab 2

?

I think what you just said caught him off guard, Maya.

Yup, he got ditched for Christmas.

She... she's in Hawaii on a photo shoot.

(A model. I knew it.)

Well, anyway, there was a murder here on the lake. The trial's tomorrow.

The defendant is Edgeworth. Miles Edgeworth.

Um, Nick?

Whoa, Nick!

Larry knows him too!? This episode needs one of those tangled relationship charts.

Yeah. He's a murder suspect.

Wh-whoa! Murder?

Huh? You know Mr. Edgeworth, Larry?

Yeah! Of course!

Ah, we finally have the connection! Hmm, if Larry is also connected to Edgeworth, maybe Larry's the killer and framed him! Now that'd be a twist, our client from the first episode turning out to be the killer in the finale.

Whaaaaaaaaat!?
Sound: Drama Pound

Guess we'll have to follow up on that later.

Umm... umm... tell me about the dogs!

W-why are they Samurai Dogs?

I... I mean they kind of look gourd-shaped.

Ouch...

She was all "change the name and you go girlfriend!"

She made me that banner!

Erm...

Oh, and guess what?

The "big news"...?

Yeah! Gourdy!

G-"Gourdy"...?

I refuse to maintain a single conversation thread.

So, Mr. Edgeworth was your classmate, Larry?

Yeah, Nick, him, and I used to hang out all the time.

Wow... I never knew.

Studying all the time, trying to "be like father."

Like his father...?

Aha, daddy issues confirmed!

Wow.

Wait...

Now that's great. Dad's a defense lawyer, so Edgeworth makes it his mission to absolutely eviscerate defense lawyers and get all their clients declared guilty. So many issues there.

Yeah.

Wait a second!

What? Edgey's got a proboscis on his knee!?

That's like the total opposite of a defense lawyer!

Huh. Go figure!

Are we talking about the same Edgeworth? You know what, here's the real reason we faced Winston Payne in the first episode. Larry would have blabbed all about this connection back then. And now Phoenix is doing the same job as Edgeworth's dad, serving as a constant reminder of whatever issues he still has, and ruining his unblemished record no less. No wonder he has weird interactions with us.

Man, he used to go on and on about man's duty to society and all that. What a bore!

I wonder what changed his mind, though?

Do you know, Nick?

Nick...?

Nick apparently isn't answering. In fact he was suspiciously quiet during that whole conversation. I think we have a better suspect now, though - the senior Edgeworth would be quite the dramatic villain here. Anyway, let's keep going.

Umm... what's "Gourdy"?

Huh? You mean you don't know?

A... monster?

Yeah.

Wow! It's r-really real!

Music: Logic and Trick

Hmm...

Nick! A monster! A real monster!

Umm... yeah. (It's probably just a log or something... right?)

Hmm... What's this?

Another automatic camera?

Ah! That's why Lotta's camera is set up to respond to loud noises like that. She's trying to get a picture of Gourdy after all.

Sounds a lot like the murder we saw in the prologue, actually. But how would that be in yesterday's paper, if it happened last night? I have a theory half-formed here. Something about all the hints we've had so far is telling me we have some kind of timing mystery here. Like there were really two murders done in a nearly-identical way, or a real murder and a staged murder done the same way to mix up evidence from the two together. Maybe for an alibi or something. And Gourdy somehow plays into it? Is Gourdy a submarine periscope with a revolver attachment? :dumb:

(Why would there be a sound like an explosion...?)

Larry.

Could I borrow this article from you?

O-one million...?

(Grow up, Larry.)

Now this evidence will be interesting to use somewhere. Maybe we use it to convince Lotta to fess up about why she's really here.

Hey, Larry, tell us about Gourdy again.

Hey Nick, show me that article once more.

Or we could just look at the article again ourselves, I guess.

"I heard a loud 'bang'! Like an explosion..."

How romantic!

Yeah. I'm just glad I'm selling more dogs!

We've finally gotten all the talking with Larry done, let's run through the evidence. We've actually got a decent list together already, but not a lot of concrete information between it all.

Dude, you really helped me out back in that trial.

S-sorry, I can't really pay you.

(Cause you blow it all on "Kiyance"...!)

R-really!?

Larry...

If you let her at your dogs, you won't have any left for the other customers.

(How many times do I have to remind you that it was ME who got you off the hook!)

It was mostly Mia, really. But feeding Maya might save us more in the long run anyway.

Whazzat?

It's a camera. You take pictures with it.

L-Larry! You mean you don't know what a camera is!?

Sound: Super Shock

I was talking about the weird contraption on that camera!

Oh, that.

Well... it's hard to explain. Just forget about it.

Good point, you're right.

Who's this?

I don't know. That's why I asked you.

Who's this, Maya?

Well...

quote:

If we hadn't gone back to our office to get Maya's revelation on the victim's identity yet, we get an additional line to remind us:

(Oh, wait. Maya said she had seen him before, didn't she...)

W-what's this?

Actually, the photo's blurry, Larry.

It was taken last night.

Last night...?

Sorry, Nick.

I know that's just his generic "no reaction" reaction, but you just gave that to us, Larry.

We're done with Larry, let's see what's up at the police department.

Not a Gumshoe in sight.

Apparently, an important witness turned up.

He'll be in there a while.

Lotta! :argh:

Uh oh...

I'm mostly here to check in on this guy again.

"Never enter the target's field of vision..."

He must be doing image training for tailing.

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

I went back to chat with Maya again...

Whoa! O-okay! Let's go check things out.

She has a more generic reaction to the camera, now that we have the photo, but that's about it. She gives the same line for the photo and the newspaper article, too. I guess we should be in a bit more of a hurry. Next time I'll check in on Grossberg and see if he's actually there this time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I bet the Judge was at the same school as Nick, Larry, and Edgeworth. Maybe as a teacher.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Gumshoe too. School security guard janitor.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Grossberg was the Art teacher.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

They were all orphans from the same orphanage, and Maya's mother was their caretaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh yeah here's the worst part of this first game, wondering da gently caress you need to do next during investigation sections (was it to Lotta again right now?). Especially this case investigation sections are both incredibly railroaded and extremely open, with a lot of locations you can move to and little indication where to go next. Meanwhile moving around is a loving pain with the way rooms link up.

Later games get way better luckily.