Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kestral posted:

Any thoughts on how to give myself a good experience with the Elite 4 and the final confrontation with what I assume will be Nemona?

60 should get you through the Elite Four just fine (levels range from 57-62), and by the end of it, you should be about on par for Nemona (level 65)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1638058277224194049

Best Boy added to Pokemon Masters EX. I was kinda disappointed when he wasn't a secret boss or something.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Ball Guy with Amoongus ace, huh?

Anyone wanna discuss 'stoned ape theory' by chance?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Should have made him an Electrode trainer, dangit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApplesandOranges posted:

Should have made him an Electrode trainer, dangit.

It's a gacha, they'll get variants for Electrode and Galarian Stunfisk eventually.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kikas posted:

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1638058277224194049

Best Boy added to Pokemon Masters EX. I was kinda disappointed when he wasn't a secret boss or something.

I don't remember the names of the spinoffs and thought he was being added to the fighting game at first, lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kestral posted:

That's led to some good fights, reasonably challenging for someone who is still getting taken off-guard by the (I assume) very basic stuff the gyms throw at you, like a weird off-type move that puts me on my back foot and swings the momentum of the fight in the enemy's favor. I'm kind of inclined to abandon Rule 2 and just assemble a team of my very favorite dogs pokemon and use the same team for every fight, but I'm concerned about possibly overleveling that team and being unstoppable by the end.

Any thoughts on how to give myself a good experience with the Elite 4 and the final confrontation with what I assume will be Nemona?

you’ve already been given a level range but note that each Elite Four member has a different type specialty too, so I think dumping your Rule 2 is a good idea as well.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

you’ve already been given a level range but note that each Elite Four member has a different type specialty too, so I think dumping your Rule 2 is a good idea as well.
To be fair, you can switch your team out in the middle of the Elite Four this time round.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

technically, but it doesn’t quite feel in the proper spirit of things imo…

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fun part is having a team of six 'mons you like with enough coverage for all the fights, which means odds are you're rarely going to be getting STAB (which is somewhat mitigated by Tera this gen, at least)

Had a lot of fun putting together Ash's PM19 team to take on Leon is SwSh, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that his team actually had counters to everything, which may have been why they decided to give him a completely new team with all the Galar starters instead

Gengar beats Aegislash
Dragonite beats Dragapult
Dracovish beats Haxorus
Sirfetch'd beats Rillaboom
Lucario beats Rhyperior
Pikachu beats Charizard

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I wouldn't have switched during the elite four, but this game for almost the first time I just had so many buddies I wanted to use! My 'team' box doesn't have room in it for everyone at once. If I'm hatching eggs someone has to go hang out with the spare dittoes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I know it’s not the main focus but I kind of wish SV would let you fight the Elite Four again after beating them the first time (then again, Gen 8 technically didn’t even HAVE an Elite Four)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

That issue would easily be fixed if Gym Leaders, Team Star bosses, Rika, and Poppy could all participate in the Acadamy Ace Tournament

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

I know it’s not the main focus but I kind of wish SV would let you fight the Elite Four again after beating them the first time (then again, Gen 8 technically didn’t even HAVE an Elite Four)

I just want to be able to hear the elite four theme ingame without having it glitch out or having replay the entire game again :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

That issue would easily be fixed if Gym Leaders, Team Star bosses, Rika, and Poppy could all participate in the Acadamy Ace Tournament

You can apparently at least go back and refight Team Star at their bases (not sure about the Gym Leaders after you unlock the tournament though)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
HGSS and Platinum still had the best 'rematch' system for Gym Leaders and Elite 4s in my opinion.

Like the tournament style they use for Gen V on and all is cool but I like seeking them out specifically.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kestral posted:

Around what levels should I bring into the Violet Elite Four if I want a reasonable challenge, but am also a newbie to the series?

After curbstomping the first couple gyms I've been handicapping myself with a rules set:

1) Leaving my team around 2-4 levels below whatever some guides have said is the lowest level 'mon in the gym / team / titan, while doing my best to avoid spoilers

2) Using all 'mons of the same type as the gym/team, with allowances for dual-types, plus one that has the gym's Tera Type, the way the gym leaders do

3) Forbidding myself the use of consumables other than heals/revives

That's led to some good fights, reasonably challenging for someone who is still getting taken off-guard by the (I assume) very basic stuff the gyms throw at you, like a weird off-type move that puts me on my back foot and swings the momentum of the fight in the enemy's favor. I'm kind of inclined to abandon Rule 2 and just assemble a team of my very favorite dogs pokemon and use the same team for every fight, but I'm concerned about possibly overleveling that team and being unstoppable by the end.

Youve had a few answers already but I went in with an average level of 57 and just 6 pokemon I found fun/liked with no synergy, a bunch of shared weaknesses, and some big holes in type coverage. Two of the E4 got me down to my last pokemon, two of the other final battles had me down to 2. It was the most fun E4 match I have had since B/W.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If you don't wanna worry too much about a balanced team, just bring whoever you want and also a bunch of the X items and heals and max revives and have a blast. You don't need to beat it 'clean'. Have your own fun.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Zuzie posted:

:hai:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zuzie posted:

This is the laziest goddamned poo poo and turned the Academy Ace Tournament from something I might have done over and over to something I did twice and thought "gently caress it good enough". I'm reeeeeeeally hoping the DLC has an actual postgame thing in the vein of Battle Tower/Tree/Subway etc with the traditional "all set to 50, can battle indefinitely" poo poo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why is this gym making me be a vtuber

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh God the gym leader is also a vtuber

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Iono is not a virtual tuber, she is very real and can hurt you.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The gym test was neat and her music is good so I forgive her for her sins

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The gym leaders are so good. I want to be able to go visit them at their work. Katy's bakery, Brassius's art studio, Larry's--- office? Office. I want to go there!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

HopperUK posted:

The gym leaders are so good. I want to be able to go visit them at their work. Katy's bakery, Brassius's art studio, Larry's--- office? Office. I want to go there!

the fact that there are so many food counters in the game but Katy's very similarly-designed bakery isn't one of them is an oversight I can't really wrap my mind around. why not have it be the only stand to serve various level-2 bug-power treats? what was the thought process? I went up before the battle to see what they had on sale, was disappointed, then figured it would "open" once I battled her and was disappointed again. very strange.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The food shops feel very phoned in, sadly :(

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

They really didn't make many "indoor" locations in this game. Sandwich shop, Gym Lobby, The Academy classrooms, foyer, and dorms, Nemona's House, Your House, the Hair Salons, The Pokemon League HQ and the Area Zero stations are all I can think of.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the one-use-only E4 interview room and battle room

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like they've never gotten 'indoor' locations right since their move to 3D. The extra time it takes to load is noticeable and means that I try to avoid going into non-necessary buildings as much as possible.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, the lack of interesting indoor locations is one of the weak spots in an otherwise great game. Pokémon “Gyms” basically don’t exist since you just fight the leader in an outdoor arena and the lobby is the same for all gyms. The only one I really liked was Larry’s because it actually make you go find other trainers to fight before the gym leader battle.

I miss going into random people’s houses and getting leftovers out of their trash.

What’s also lacking is a big department store. I’d like to just go to one place where all the shops are consolidated in one area.

We also need to be able to decorate our dorms. I can only hope that’s coming in the DLC.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nessa posted:

Yeah, the lack of interesting indoor locations is one of the weak spots in an otherwise great game. Pokémon “Gyms” basically don’t exist since you just fight the leader in an outdoor arena and the lobby is the same for all gyms. The only one I really liked was Larry’s because it actually make you go find other trainers to fight before the gym leader battle.

I miss going into random people’s houses and getting leftovers out of their trash.

What’s also lacking is a big department store. I’d like to just go to one place where all the shops are consolidated in one area.

We also need to be able to decorate our dorms. I can only hope that’s coming in the DLC.

It's kinda weird that in Violet, the dorm bedsheets are the color of the Scarlet clothes. Did they just forget to change it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Guess who didn't know about the bank thing and renewed their bank pass this weekend. And who also already transferred all their Pokemon out of there anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rick posted:

Guess who didn't know about the bank thing and renewed their bank pass this weekend. And who also already transferred all their Pokemon out of there anyway.

lmao that sucks, I can't believe they didn’t shut down the payment processing yet

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Oooh, I want a blissey! Do I need to be level 60 or 80 and what type is good? I was debating bringing along steel or poisonbuddies.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Still cannot believe they called it Ionozone and not Ionosphere

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

Oooh, I want a blissey! Do I need to be level 60 or 80 and what type is good? I was debating bringing along steel or poisonbuddies.

You'll want to be as close to level 100 as you can reasonably get. Keep an eye on the tera type of each individual Blissey and pick based on that. Bear in mind (as I rediscovered recently to my cost) Blissey has great special defense but *appalling* physical defense so you'll want to lean towards heavy physical hitters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kikas posted:

Still cannot believe they called it Ionozone and not Ionosphere

goddamn it that would have been perfect

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Zuzie posted:

They really didn't make many "indoor" locations in this game. Sandwich shop, Gym Lobby, The Academy classrooms, foyer, and dorms, Nemona's House, Your House, the Hair Salons, The Pokemon League HQ and the Area Zero stations are all I can think of.

I remember that there was leftover data in the game showcasing assets for indoor areas, so I can only imagine that Gamefreak just didn't have the time to actually implement them because they were rushed to hell and back. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What's the deal with poke transporter, do I need to have an active subscription or just have an old gen virtual console game?