Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I know what Tree Bucket is refering to but some anime characters do have fangs, it's usually a sign that the character is mischievous and a bit wild

Snaggleteeth are often seen as attractive in Japan, or at least not requiring orthodontic correction. I've seen some pretty jacked-up smiles on people who are considered cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I think glasses are attractive, which are a consequence of having hosed up eyes, so...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Any opportunity to link this is a good opportunity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNpIn4fJrA

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have never seen the moomin anime before, but from that short clip I can safely say it is not canon at all. Snufkin appears to be trying to save a police station and Little My is not immediately jumping at the opportunity to commit crimes

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Mar 17, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm glad I was too old for that. It looks like poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The original comics are among the top ten comics I've ever read. (I've read a LOT of comics.) Both Tove and Lars were real pros.

E: I mean they're right up there with, say. Pratt, Altan, Goscinny, etc.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The English voice overs are [whatever otaku says about English voices]. Real fans use the real Swedish dub and subtitles

(Real talk though, the east swedish voices gets a lot closer to the je ne sais qui of the characters. More gentle and melodic. I should test the Japanese one too come to think of)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Rosa Parks not getting up from her seat was an intentional demonstrative act of protest, not just an old lady being harassed.

I could have sworn in grade school we were taught she was the first black woman to not get up from her seat when told to, and that's why she was a big deal. Not because she was an activist -- I never even heard about her activism. And she was like forty when it happened -- I always imagined her as an old lady.

I mean, at this age I know she wasn't the first to do this, I just never ventured to learn more about her. She was never a focal point in the curriculum when I was in school, just that there was a bus incident and a bunch of stuff happened as a consequence.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't understand why anyone would ever use letters instead of numbers for grading.

Total loving L take.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

Rosa Parks not getting up from her seat was an intentional demonstrative act of protest, not just an old lady being harassed.

I could have sworn in grade school we were taught she was the first black woman to not get up from her seat when told to, and that's why she was a big deal. Not because she was an activist -- I never even heard about her activism. And she was like forty when it happened -- I always imagined her as an old lady.

I mean, at this age I know she wasn't the first to do this, I just never ventured to learn more about her. She was never a focal point in the curriculum when I was in school, just that there was a bus incident and a bunch of stuff happened as a consequence.

Also the Little Caesar's guy paid her rent for several years and it didn't come out until he died.

edit also his son was the bad guy in Slumber Party Massacre 2

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Mar 18, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I didn't learn about it being a demonstration until like, last week.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the Little Caesar's guy paid her rent for several years and it didn't come out until he died.

edit also his son was the bad guy in Slumber Party Massacre 2
Obligatory:

https://youtu.be/yomU1Y01snw

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Rosa wasn't even the first in the series of those demonstrations, I think she was 4th. The sparking event did happen spontaneously with a very determined young woman who refused to leave her seat, and someone in the movement figured this would make an excellent way to mass protest. Rosa was an employee in the organisation and more little old lady-like and, since the organised protest series had journalists attached and present for each event, it was almost an exercise in finding out when the public would start to care.

Tl/dr the first time was unplanned, and the rights movement repeated it and suddenly the world noticed when Rosa Parks protested

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
There was Claudette Colvin who did the same thing several months before Rosa Parks but, because she was single and pregnant, the civil rights campaigners didn't try to go anywhere with it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Parks being extra tired that day was in large part the "official" story until her autobiography. It helped the movement because "physically exhausted old woman" is easier to play for sympathy than "middle-aged activist woman who's sick and tired of giving in".

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Here's a stupid one.

The arm in "polearm" means weapon, doesn't it? Not arm like the appendage?

Somehow that never occurred to me until... today.

I'll see myself out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

??????????????

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

??????????????

It was originally an arm on a pole as pictured, but for combat they decided to add an arm, which was held by the hand. This was extremely expensive and they eventually just removed the arm, leaving only the arm at the end of the pole, but without the hand.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What the founding fathers intended

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The Big Bopper wasn't even 30

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Splendid posted:

The Big Bopper wasn't even 30

Imagine how much large he would have grown if he'd survived. The Bigger Bopper

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

parts of the congo river are 720 feet deep. that's nuts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

parts of the congo river are 720 feet

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

My wife was talking to coworkers about video games and one said "I love racing in F1 on ps5" and she thought "oh Friend loves that game"

She was thinking of F-Zero. After pointing out she has played the Nintendo game with aliens driving hovercars, I realized where the F-Zero name came from.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Friend posted:

My wife was talking to coworkers about video games and one said "I love racing in F1 on ps5" and she thought "oh Friend loves that game"

She was thinking of F-Zero. After pointing out she has played the Nintendo game with aliens driving hovercars, I realized where the F-Zero name came from.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
TKO sounds like technical knockout, not total knockout.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The movie Van Wilder is based on Bert Kreischer.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Moomins vs. Wombles?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
When I scratch the roof of my mouth with my tongue, I'm only using the back, the tip doesn't move.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

TKO sounds like technical knockout, not total knockout.
It's both.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Splendid posted:

When I scratch the roof of my mouth with my tongue, I'm only using the back, the tip doesn't move.

wtf

that's the only way i can do it, using the tip of my tongue

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Nice troll, sicko!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a tiny hole in the roof of my mouth, I mentioned it to a doctor once, but they brushed over it.
I can only assume I was close to having a cleft palate, and the only actual event was this tiny hole.
It's really dinky, like the size of a grain of rice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have a slightly uneven skull. On the top left there's a tiny part that's almost completely flat. This wasn't discovered until I was a teen and I underwent a bunch of scans and bloodtests and research that ended with a doctor saying "I dunno I guess your skull is just weird."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pookah posted:

I have a tiny hole in the roof of my mouth, I mentioned it to a doctor once, but they brushed over it.
I can only assume I was close to having a cleft palate, and the only actual event was this tiny hole.
It's really dinky, like the size of a grain of rice.

Put a Greedo in it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf

that's the only way i can do it, using the tip of my tongue

That's what I assumed I was doing and I would often get worried that I might swallow it if I scratched too hard.

Now I know I can just go to town

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My cousin had a bit of a cardiac episode yesterday - felt faint, then collapsed after a hike. He was taken to hospital, and checked - had a severely blocked artery, so they put in two stents.

I was only vaguely aware of what a stent is or what it does, but after a little googling, I am just in awe of how clever and in a way, how simple they are. Float in a tiny chicken-wire tube with a balloon inside it, up a wire from your wrist to where the blockage is, then inflate the balloon so as to make the narrowed part open up again.

Brilliant.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pookah posted:

My cousin had a bit of a cardiac episode yesterday - felt faint, then collapsed after a hike. He was taken to hospital, and checked - had a severely blocked artery, so they put in two stents.

I was only vaguely aware of what a stent is or what it does, but after a little googling, I am just in awe of how clever and in a way, how simple they are. Float in a tiny chicken-wire tube with a balloon inside it, up a wire from your wrist to where the blockage is, then inflate the balloon so as to make the narrowed part open up again.

Brilliant.

The recovery time on those things is also insane, if things go well. My mom had one put in last year and I think she went home the day after, way different than I was expecting for anything to do with getting into the arteries. Hope things go well with your cousin's recovery.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

The recovery time on those things is also insane, if things go well. My mom had one put in last year and I think she went home the day after, way different than I was expecting for anything to do with getting into the arteries. Hope things go well with your cousin's recovery.

Thank you, and yeah, he's heading home tomorrow. From what I've heard, there was very little damage done to his heart, and it's expected to be fully healed in a couple of weeks.
It's basically magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Augustus Balloon, inventor of balloons, be praised.