Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I like driving, I hate having to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Inner Light posted:

I've been daydreaming for years about a small, probably 2 person EV, city car, K car, "sMaRt" car, whatever. I could buy it a 240V charger or stick with 120V. I live in a city and the vast majority of what I need to drive to is within 5 miles, let alone 10, 50, 100 miles.

The climate zone of my city is as such that walking or bicycling is pleasant for probably a minority of the months of the year. I do both and enjoy it!

I am fortunate to have splurged on a deeded, covered, heated lol garage spot.

I've thought about Tesla before Elon self grenaded or the Bolt EUV. But yeah, it would be great to spend what like, $5k ish on some cheap EV smart car thing, a super golf cart, with 50 or 100 miles of range. When will this be a thing or will it be only a dream forever? Top speed is an issue in this idea, I would be fine with 35-55MPH limit, and poor crashworthiness. But I do not think regulations would allow it in USA perhaps. I might try out a motorcycle at some point but I've never tried it, will take some lessons and take a stab at it but I don't want to die immediately.

My friend have you seen the Kandi K27, it does those things and is (was?) under $6k in some states depending on tax credits etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVGTzM81L8

sanchez fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 19, 2023

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Gangringo posted:

This exactly

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sanchez posted:

My friend have you seen the Kandi K27, it does those things and is (was?) under $6k in some states depending on tax credits etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVGTzM81L8

There's also the Changli of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBz9zLFEa70

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Integra Type S
https://acuranews.com/en-US/release...veal-next-month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMkh4j49etM

Sounds awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gangringo posted:

ya bub

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

So how long until dealers stop slapping an eye-watering markup on these? Never?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Acura is going to throw the fancy Tiger Eye Pearl paint on the S and the price tag is going to make me really sad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Q_res posted:

So how long until dealers stop slapping an eye-watering markup on these? Never?

Honda seems incapable of influencing its dealers in any meaningful way.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Midjack posted:

Honda seems incapable of influencing its dealers in any meaningful way.

Unless you are a car YouTuber, in which case Honda will find a friendly dealer to get you an allocation for a new CTR at MSRP

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Gangringo posted:

BIG same.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Godzilla07 posted:

Unless you are a car YouTuber, in which case Honda will find a friendly dealer to get you an allocation for a new CTR at MSRP

That video SG did was so embarrassing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Guess I missed something, what was it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

carry on then posted:

Guess I missed something, what was it?

A max cringe video of one of them buying a Civic Type R

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
https://youtu.be/ZgZUxXR-8SE

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sup with the negativity, they seem like a couple of guys trying in good faith, even if they have Opinions about stuff. And they have the resources for some expensive toys that I also would like.

(They are around me in Chicago and seem legit from what I can tell. The couple businesses they clearly have been shilling for are local and fairly legit, but they tend to be things in the suburbs with a lot of old money behind what they are shilling for. But that’s really to be expected when you get into the hyper car / privately owned racing car cohorts, turns you into one of “them” I think to an extent haha.)

e: previously I glanced through the vid, I see what you mean yea that's their whole thing. It's annoying yes, I guess I assumed they were self aware but I get what you mean. If annoying gets you the most views why not? Plus some of the chintz is in good fun.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 21, 2023

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue was with their video. If I'm remembering correctly, Mark said he had issues with the local Honda dealer and said no more Hondas. Then, a new owner who took over the dealership tried not to be a piece of poo poo and got him a CTR at MSRP. Mark and Jack said "is the CTR worth it at MSRP? Yes. Is it still worth it with BS ADMs? No. "
I think they even mentioned how it was kinda unfair how they lucked into this because of connections. And how it's lovely for those who don't have a similar situation.

What did I miss?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Wish the dealership I bought my Type-R at gave me a big bow. :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You may know me as someone who likes small cars, like Yugos and Demios. Or ecologically friendly cars like hybrids and such. And bieks. These are all true things - I love those things. But my first car was an AMC, and I've had a number of Chryslers and Jeeps and Plymouths over the years, and deep deep inside me there is a Mopar man yearning to be free. And the new 1025 HP Dodge Demon may be the thing to give me that freedom from this mortal coil when I crash into a wall.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 21, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Mental. 0-60 mph in 1.66s. Mickey Thompson ET Street R drag radials. Optional parachute.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Inner Light posted:

e: previously I glanced through the vid, I see what you mean yea that's their whole thing. It's annoying yes, I guess I assumed they were self aware but I get what you mean. If annoying gets you the most views why not? Plus some of the chintz is in good fun.

I mostly like their videos - they are factual, pull no punches and top quality production quality. I'm more just referring to how cringe the CTR video is, really aint their best to say the least.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Want a VW IDx or Audi Q4 etron, but....don't? Get yourself the new Euro Ford Explorer and enjoy the same stupid mirror and window buttons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWUFNAyWNZ0

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You may know me as someone who likes small cars, like Yugos and Demios. Or ecologically friendly cars like hybrids and such. And bieks. These are all true things - I love those things. But my first car was an AMC, and I've had a number of Chryslers and Jeeps and Plymouths over the years, and deep deep inside me there is a Mopar man yearning to be free. And the new 1025 HP Dodge Demon may be the thing to give me that freedom from this mortal coil when I crash into a wall.

The usual dodge forums are already reporting dealers are quoting 150k+ over sticker.

quote:

It won’t come as a surprise to learn that the fuel mileage is going to be brutal. We don’t have exact figures yet, but Kuniskis called it “terrible,” explaining that the injectors in the Demon 170 can flow 164 gallons per hour at wide-open throttle. But you’ll never be able to do that, because at WOT the Demon 170 empties its entire 18.5-gallon gas tank in just five minutes.

Jesus Christ.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 21, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Optimized for e85 so that's nice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

How is it embarrassing or cringe? I watched it awhile back and don't remember anything wrong with it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I saw a Tiktok from a Redeye owner where the distance to empty in the cluster showed 84 miles after a filling the tank. The car estimates like 5 miles to the gallon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

davecrazy posted:

The usual dodge forums are already reporting dealers are quoting 150k+ over sticker.

Jesus Christ.

Why even bother with piston engines at that point? If you're over, say, 500hp and you clearly give no fucks about fuel economy or practicality in general, go with a turbine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Why even bother with piston engines at that point? If you're over, say, 500hp and you clearly give no fucks about fuel economy or practicality in general, go with a turbine.

heat management is very challenging

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Turbines also like steady RPM and aren't that quick (relatively) to change revs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Turbines also like steady RPM and aren't that quick (relatively) to change revs.

turbine w/ CVT

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

turbine w/ CVT

This is Chrysler we are talking about, turbine with high stall torque converter and active cooling on the torque converter itself.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Didn't the original Chrysler turbine have lovely acceleration? The main advantage is in maintenance, not performance.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't beaten the corpse of this dead horse in quite a while but I nonetheless maintain that cars need turboelectric drive. Gas turbine drives the turbogenerator, generator keeps the batteries topped off, electric propulsion ensures ludicrous speed, exhaust melts the asphalt and keeps the road smooth.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I haven't beaten the corpse of this dead horse in quite a while but I nonetheless maintain that cars need turboelectric drive. Gas turbine drives the turbogenerator, generator keeps the batteries topped off, electric propulsion ensures ludicrous speed, exhaust melts the asphalt and keeps the road smooth.

Of all automotive manufacturers, Jaguar was the one to actually attempt a concept of this with the C-X75.

I want one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, please

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

and you thought the Hummer EV was fat

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and you thought the Hummer EV was fat

I already live in a fantasy world where physical controls are coming back, you can't drag me back into your reality with its tedious laws of physics and poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

heat management is very challenging

emissions are kind of a gently caress too if i remember right

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I've been daydreaming for years about a small, probably 2 person EV, city car, K car, "sMaRt" car, whatever. I could buy it a 240V charger or stick with 120V. I live in a city and the vast majority of what I need to drive to is within 5 miles, let alone 10, 50, 100 miles.

The climate zone of my city is as such that walking or bicycling is pleasant for probably a minority of the months of the year. I do both and enjoy it!

I am fortunate to have splurged on a deeded, covered, heated lol garage spot.

I've thought about Tesla before Elon self grenaded or the Bolt EUV. But yeah, it would be great to spend what like, $5k ish on some cheap EV smart car thing, a super golf cart, with 50 or 100 miles of range. When will this be a thing or will it be only a dream forever? Top speed is an issue in this idea, I would be fine with 35-55MPH limit, and poor crashworthiness. But I do not think regulations would allow it in USA perhaps. I might try out a motorcycle at some point but I've never tried it, will take some lessons and take a stab at it but I don't want to die immediately.

Closer to $7K these days, but another answer is a Fiat 500e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Midjack posted:

emissions are kind of a gently caress too if i remember right

That one puzzles me. I completely expect engineering challenges. We've spent decades optimizing the ol' 4-stroke and not everything would transfer smoothly to a turbine. Conceptually, though, it seems like it ought to be a solvable problem. If we can control the emissions of a combustion event that has to happen in a fraction of a second, why can't do the same for a more stable process?