Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if the economy is doing so bad then why is this investment vehicle carrying most of congresses personal wealth not crashing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Spoondick posted:

if the economy is doing so bad then why is this investment vehicle carrying most of congresses personal wealth not crashing?

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

nope

can't figure that one out

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spoondick posted:

there are nearly 400,000,000 guns in the united states

The majority of them were made and sold after Obama took office, they're there to stop people of color who come out to your trailer in the countryside and try to take your TV.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

all

time

highs

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

coelomate posted:

I don’t agree with this take. He dismisses it at the end, but the people choosing to take the risk (management, kinda shareholders) are the ones that ate poo poo before and will be if it happens again. “but my depositors were made whole” the CFO says as he is unemployed and embarrassed by the downfall of his bank?

like management are capitalist ghouls and will be fine, but they still want to avoid getting canned when their venture goes up in smoke.

On top of that, depositors have more or less always been implicitly protected in our system by the feds doing shotgun marriages and the like when things get dicey. It’s hardly a new paradigm, just temporarily more explicit.

You should read up on history between 2006 and 2008, it seems you may have rip van winkled your way past some very important information

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/business/economy-boom-times.html

May 10, 2022

quote:

For the 158 million who are employed, prospects haven’t been this bright since men landed on the moon. As many as half of those workers have retirement accounts that were fattened by a prolonged bull market in stocks. There are 83 million owner-occupied homes in the United States. At the rate they have been increasing in value, a lot of them are in effect a giant piggy bank that families live inside.

I am now 100% convinced that the consumer market is being driven entirely by people doing cash out refis to buy boats and poo poo.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

quote:

1066 was the pivot point. Taking the Germanic Anglo Saxon crown as a Romantic Lingual Norman led us to the Anglo language and it's effects on man and society today.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

only half of employees having retirements accounts is a good thing in that article

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mirthless posted:

You should read up on history between 2006 and 2008, it seems you may have rip van winkled your way past some very important information

He meant caned. They can avoid getting caned for the damage they do.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

coelomate posted:

I don’t agree with this take. He dismisses it at the end, but the people choosing to take the risk (management, kinda shareholders) are the ones that ate poo poo before and will be if it happens again. “but my depositors were made whole” the CFO says as he is unemployed and embarrassed by the downfall of his bank?

like management are capitalist ghouls and will be fine, but they still want to avoid getting canned when their venture goes up in smoke.

On top of that, depositors have more or less always been implicitly protected in our system by the feds doing shotgun marriages and the like when things get dicey. It’s hardly a new paradigm, just temporarily more explicit.

If your profit comes from AUM and your only risk is to your equity and your AUM is much bigger than equity, the rational thing to do is to take huge risks to your AUM. The worst that can happen is you lose all your equity but your potential gain is much bigger. Shareholders have a bigger appetite for risk than depositors do.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's when England was on the outs with Europe and became a society of wool merchants that the trouble began. Which is also what happened to the Dutch, come to think of it. Is it possible that, like anthrax was once known as the sheep shearer's disease, Capitalism is an extremely dangerous pathogen that comes from proximity to the wool trade?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My old man, half jokingly and half seriously, has become obsessed with the idea of kicking anyone descended from people who came to Britain with the Normans. It's not the worst idea

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/business/economy-boom-times.html

May 10, 2022

I am now 100% convinced that the consumer market is being driven entirely by people doing cash out refis to buy boats and poo poo.

Yeah, I think so. It's possible people's 5-10x leveraged housing bets that boomed in a speculative bubble contributed more to their "excess savings" than a $1,400 check hmmm

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

He meant caned. They can avoid getting caned for the damage they do.

yeah but they do that in the privacy of their own sex dungeons, so it's not really a punishment

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

:colbert:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

hope u bought the dip

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

soon it going up by 10 cents will be a 50% gain

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

cool av posted:

all

time

highs

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jel Shaker posted:

box of rocks labelled nickel in the vault at the bank has been financially engineered to be worth $4 billion, just don’t look inside, the whole economy will collapse!

they’re Schrodinger's minerals, Marie!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

they’re Schrodinger's minerals, Marie!!

Extremely George Costanza voice.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I wonder how they found the bags of rocks. Did somebody need nickel? Or was there like an unfortunate forklift accident and now some poor forklift operator is gonna have to shoot himself 15 or 20 times and then jump out a window?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1638175089454882819?s=20

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I’m convinced that BMW intentionally makes one model year incredibly ugly so that they can make a cosmetic tweak the next year to make the car more conventional and still ride a wave of hype. That was their big lesson from the Chris Bangle years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cool and SUV shouldn't go together

Apr 7, 2003

The coming generation of $100k six ton electric mall terrain vehicles that do 0-60 in 3 seconds flat are going to leave so many smeared children all over America

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
does it still come with seat heating DRM

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

forkboy84 posted:

My old man, half jokingly and half seriously, has become obsessed with the idea of kicking anyone descended from people who came to Britain with the Normans. It's not the worst idea

Like, from Wales and Ireland, or ..?

I don't want to get too into it but during the Völkerwanderung, Norman Conquest, Magyar migration into the Carpathian basin, Bulgar move into the Balkans, etc. what you really see on the population level is called "Elite Replacement". That means that the existing top of a society is killed in battle, flees, is deposed, or as often as not, marries into the conquerors, but 90% of the population sees no real change. They simply pay taxes to new lords, and even then, usually through the same middlemen.

Over time, language changes, always at the top, then at the middle, of society, but really until liturgical languages are codified, not for the bottom. Material culture very rarely changes at the bottom as well. The reason it's easy to get the impression that it has is that of course nearly all works of art and monumental architecture that would survive were commissioned by the top strata of society. Another way to say that would be that castle architecture changes and the designs of gold chalices, but the design of houses and wooden cups does not. The bias is that the former are much more likely to have been preserved.

Exceptions to this are somewhat rare, but are interesting in their own right. For example, in the centuries after the Arab conquest of Egypt, the Arabs made a deliberate decision to move into the villages, which the Greeks and Romans had never done. Another factor for changes in the wake of the Islamic conquests would be that, pretty much all of the conquered areas were nicer than Arabia so the imperial core shifted and there was mass emigration out of the peninsula.

Mostly, it's the continuation of class society that prevented much interaction at the population level. For many people to be descended from Norman knights and nobility would require them to "marry down", and enter unions with peasants. They did, of course, marry into elite Saxon families quite often, but those families retained their Norman identity and many of them are easily identifiable today because they still have patronymic indicators like "Fitz".

The more I think about this the more I realize that expelling the Normans and expelling the British ruling class are nearly synonymous, and so I'm finding it hard to really argue against it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Buffer posted:

We're going to kill the very concept of money in order to prevent rich people from losing anything and I am very excited for it.

i am not excited for it, money allows me to buy food and anime babe figurines in exchange for sitting at a desk for 8 hours. i have no skills or non-anime babe figurine assets with which to barter for food or more anime babe figurines. this is very bad.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The coming generation of $100k six ton electric mall terrain vehicles that do 0-60 in 3 seconds flat are going to leave so many smeared children all over America

Canyonero!!!

*whip crack*

Canyonerrrrrrrrro

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Really staying on the ball there, Janet.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1638182959747407873

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

What am I, the chief financial officer of the United States Federal Government or something?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Like, from Wales and Ireland, or ..?

I don't want to get too into it but during the Völkerwanderung, Norman Conquest, Magyar migration into the Carpathian basin, Bulgar move into the Balkans, etc. what you really see on the population level is called "Elite Replacement". That means that the existing top of a society is killed in battle, flees, is deposed, or as often as not, marries into the conquerors, but 90% of the population sees no real change. They simply pay taxes to new lords, and even then, usually through the same middlemen.

Over time, language changes, always at the top, then at the middle, of society, but really until liturgical languages are codified, not for the bottom. Material culture very rarely changes at the bottom as well. The reason it's easy to get the impression that it has is that of course nearly all works of art and monumental architecture that would survive were commissioned by the top strata of society. Another way to say that would be that castle architecture changes and the designs of gold chalices, but the design of houses and wooden cups does not. The bias is that the former are much more likely to have been preserved.

Exceptions to this are somewhat rare, but are interesting in their own right. For example, in the centuries after the Arab conquest of Egypt, the Arabs made a deliberate decision to move into the villages, which the Greeks and Romans had never done. Another factor for changes in the wake of the Islamic conquests would be that, pretty much all of the conquered areas were nicer than Arabia so the imperial core shifted and there was mass emigration out of the peninsula.

Mostly, it's the continuation of class society that prevented much interaction at the population level. For many people to be descended from Norman knights and nobility would require them to "marry down", and enter unions with peasants. They did, of course, marry into elite Saxon families quite often, but those families retained their Norman identity and many of them are easily identifiable today because they still have patronymic indicators like "Fitz".

The more I think about this the more I realize that expelling the Normans and expelling the British ruling class are nearly synonymous, and so I'm finding it hard to really argue against it.

From all of Britain. And yeah, it does end up sounding more appealing when you think about it more. Class War, but you make it about race because it's the only way to sell it to the lumpenproles and petty bourgeois of a nation that still thinks it has a right to an Empire

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1638184153492385793?s=20

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the hull of the ship is sound, so long as we plug any new holes that may occur

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Destroy America already come on

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

1glitch0 posted:

I think the banking system is about to collapse.

Every single time they double down on the "all deposits insured forever" line I start to think that maybe things are really bad this time.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlDMQf3GB2k

They're advertising the insane acceleration of this tank-sized truck as a selling point. This thing is going to kill so many kids and pedestrians.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
two big problems with cars: they're too loving tall I need a periscope to see what the gently caress is going on. And: headlights are way too bright and they're directly at my eye level because I'm not driving a loving armored personnel carrier

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SorePotato posted:

Destroy America already come on

I'M TRYING AS HARD AS I CAN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

overproduced, but helpful visualization

https://twitter.com/EauDeMacro/status/1638026954430636032