Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

mlmp08 posted:

Also Russian reps freaking out and announcing that every new conventional weapon is actually the same as deploying nukes is one of the moves China has vocalized is not helpful or wise.

A most fatuous lord!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

Since 2014 a situation was designed so that groups that would agree to a peace are kept far away from power, and Blood and Soil nationalists, the "Veteran's Movement" people, are placed in government, military and media. Combine that with the US presumably continuing to arm them, there would be no peace. Moreover, we saw Boris Johnson personally intervene, Ukraine kill their own top negotiator, God knows what else. I don't know how China can impose a peace when nobody in Ukraine will agree to it, which seems to have been the intended result.

It would take Europe ceasing support, which is apparently why Nord Stream was blown up. The US has decided to financially underwrite the Ukrainian state, such as it is, so that's not a pressure point either.

Really, I agree with people who would say it would take state and military collapse, in either order, for Ukraine to be brought to the table, and for external support to not continue at least the conventional phase of the war.

a completely baffling trend which i see all the time in norwegian media is talk about "bringing putin to the table" as if the russians are the ones demanding capitulation from their opposite party before any talks can be resumed. hardly seems aware that the reason there are no talks ongoing is because ukraine refuses to engage in negotiations while there are russian troops in ukraine's pre-2014 borders, and if you make this strictly factual point you get shouted at.

this may be a reasonable position for the ukrainians to take with regards to their own political situation and the course of the war (and given that we know that the government cannot agree to russia's present demands), but it's not a question of forcing the russians to the table - it's forcing the russians to the table on the ukrainians' stated terms, i.e. full military victory. the roles are completely flipped rhetorically, however, to the point where it is generally assumed that the russians are the ones placing onerous preconditions for even beginning negotiations, meaning that western support for ukraine can be framed as trying to force through a compromise.

it is incredibly exasparating to try and navigate the discussions here, because in a lot of context one makes the vibe bad by saying things which are clearly and demonstrably true.

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

a completely baffling trend which i see all the time in norwegian media is talk about "bringing putin to the table" as if the russians are the ones demanding capitulation from their opposite party before any talks can be resumed. hardly seems aware that the reason there are no talks ongoing is because ukraine refuses to engage in negotiations, and if you make this strictly factual point you get shouted at.

this may be a reasonable position for the ukrainians to take with regards to their own political situation and the course of the war (and given that we know that the government cannot agree to russia's present demands), but it's not a question of forcing the russians to the table - it's forcing the russians to the table on the ukrainians' stated terms, i.e. full military victory. the roles are completely flipped rhetorically, however, to the point where it is generally assumed that the russians are the ones placing onerous preconditions for even beginning negotiations, meaning that western support for ukraine can be framed as trying to force through a compromise.

it is incredibly exasparating to try and navigate the discussions here, because in a lot of context one makes the vibe bad by saying things which are clearly and demonstrably true.

If Norwegian coverage has been anything like Swedish I would not call it baffling, considering that Putin has been made an irrational ogre that there is no reasoning with for over a year. It's just consistent with previous reporting.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

xiaoren posted:

If Norwegian coverage has been anything like Swedish I would not call it baffling, considering that Putin has been made an irrational ogre that there is no reasoning with for over a year. It's just consistent with previous reporting.

even granted this, this is a very straightforward factual point which has been broadly reported upon in mainstream outlets. you'd think that this made it at least safe to point out strictly as a matter of fact, but it doesn't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's not 1:1, but this is also how the French and Americans presented their respective talks with the Vietnamese.

Was it Al-Saqr or someone else that said this can be domestically dangerous? I think it was in reference to the Arab-Israeli wars or something where the state media kept saying "we're winning", "we brought the cowards to the table", and then just one day it was announced what the terms of the ceasefire actually were, and those couldn't be spun as easily.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is a complete mystery why a Western press would do such a thing.

That said to be honest, I don’t know why the Russians would actually come to the table at this point unless Ukraine was suing for peace. Even if they didn’t want to go through another wave of mobilization, it would be a lot easier just to keep on shelling the Ukrainians indefinitely and let those factories do their job.

If the Russians know the Ukrainians are taking more casualties and have the ability to keep or accelerate that process, they will just kick back. It doesn’t seem like there is much war fatigue from the Russian population.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Mar 21, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You don't how I commented that Xi's visit to Russia is very sudden and seem out of usual MO for Chinese foreign affair protocle. I think I figure out the motive of this visit timing. I thought it would make more sense if Xi do it after Tsai's stop over visit to US and after Little Macron's impending visit to China.

I heard that the leaking of Xi's visit was from the Ukraine side. In other words, China didn't even tell US Xi's impending visit, they only told it to Ukraine in order to schedule a zoom meeting with Zelenskyy. Obviously, telling Zelenskyy equal telling US, so either US or Ukraine leaked it to the press. (I think it was Reuter or whoever broke the news a couple days before the Beijing announcement).

Anyway, there has been shocking lacking of US (Blinken/Biden/Sullivan) accusation of Xi supporting the invader. There is only a hit piece of discovering China marking bullets in the war which is a nonthingburger.

I think I figure out why. The banking financial crisis is not over. From what I have heard, the current banking trouble is not remotely over. There is a possibility of developing into a 2009 II situation. And US need China's help to buy more US bonds and debt and whatever to get over the current problem caused by the high interest rate. I am only interest in geopolitics and not investment so I will just speak in the language I am familiar with. Basically Xi sensed he is currently sitting at the position of strength and both the US """doves""" Yellen and Raimondo are banging at the door and want to go to China. So Xi knew US can't poo poo talk China at this very moment, that's why he quickly bag this long planned Putin visit and move on the next stage of Sino-US competition. Blinken already shot his load and melt down over the balloon nonsense, so he burnt his bridge and can't come to China. So it's up to Yellen and Raimondo on the next at-bat.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Mar 21, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Also Russian reps freaking out and announcing that every new conventional weapon is actually the same as deploying nukes is one of the moves China has vocalized is not helpful or wise.

Russia should listen to china.

Also ukraine should not listen to china because...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hmm something like that would give China the necessary leverage over the US to make them agree to a cessation of hostilities, which is the only condition from the Ukrainian side that matters.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Was it Al-Saqr or someone else that said this can be domestically dangerous? I think it was in reference to the Arab-Israeli wars or something where the state media kept saying "we're winning", "we brought the cowards to the table", and then just one day it was announced what the terms of the ceasefire actually were, and those couldn't be spun as easily.
This poo poo happened during the Ruso-Japanese war where both sides just exhausted themselves but the Japanese people had to put up with a lot of poo poo because they were promised a decisive victory. Which didn't really happen.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
It feels so bizarre to see the end of totalized American global hegemony and the return of true multipolarity that I'm having a hard time internalizing it. All this over the eastern region of some backwater where the US decided to try to put some dipshit nazis in charge. It all adds up perfectly well and it's not like it's surprising in retrospect that neoliberalism led to a state apparatus incapable of thinking long-term materialistically but still.

I imagine that anyone born the same year the cold war ended must feel the same but it's so bizarre to like... have positive feelings about the future.

CyprianLatewood has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Mar 21, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cuttlefush posted:

barons? lords?

seriously?

it's called democracy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Ukraine is getting owned and even they should be able to see that the West is depleted and impotent. I imagine anything that lets Ukraine keep Odessa and Zelensky keep his head would be welcome at this point.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The problem with Odessa is that it's still in large part Russian, which causes a lot of friction with SS Division Galicina out of Banderschtat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1638032093937643520

how do you not have an answer to a comparison between Iraq and Ukraine locked-and-loaded at all times. you've got to loving know it's going to come up if you're a Ukraine war booster!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

well that's one way to deal with the dissonance

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sometimes a country just elects a bunch of Nazis and we should respect their right of self determination.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Lostconfused posted:

Sometimes a country just elects a bunch of Nazis and we should respect their right of self determination.

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about a country electing a bunch of Nazis, that's just par for the course when it comes to democratic societies.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

Moreover, we saw Boris Johnson personally intervene, Ukraine kill their own top negotiator, God knows what else.

God drat how did I miss this happening?

CyprianLatewood posted:

It feels so bizarre to see the end of totalized American global hegemony and the return of true multipolarity that I'm having a hard time internalizing it. All this over the eastern region of some backwater where the US decided to try to put some dipshit nazis in charge. It all adds up perfectly well and it's not like it's surprising in retrospect that neoliberalism led to a state apparatus incapable of thinking long-term materialistically but still.

I imagine that anyone born the same year the cold war ended must feel the same but it's so bizarre to like... have positive feelings about the future.

Trump will win his campaign for re-election against a desiccated Biden. The Trump administration will once again fail to secure a Chick-fil-A franchise, allowing Xi Ping to swoop in with a Dicos deal and kicking off US balkanization.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

aren't cluster bombs like, illegal or something?

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1638200458446618627

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

there's a convention banning their use but a lot of big countries aren't signatories to it, such as Russia and China and the USA. but it's a convenient thing to trot out if a Bad Country is using them, and gets quietly forgotten if it's a Good Country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

webcams for christ posted:

aren't cluster bombs like, illegal or something?

John Charity Spring posted:

there's a convention banning their use but a lot of big countries aren't signatories to it, such as Russia and China and the USA. but it's a convenient thing to trot out if a Bad Country is using them, and gets quietly forgotten if it's a Good Country

neither the US nor Ukraine are signatories to the cluster bomb convention

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

yeah that makes sense but why would you want to use weapons with such a high propensity for collateral damage inside your borders?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An action can still be against international law, even if the country that commits, the action, never signed the treaty, which made the act unlawful

l

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

yeah that makes sense but why would you want to use weapons with such a high propensity for collateral damage inside your borders?

because it's effective against enemy troops and they don't care about the collateral

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1638205235951804421

It's a quote from RIA if anyone wants to check https://t.me/rian_ru/197565

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

An action can still be against international law, even if the country that commits, the action, never signed the treaty, which made the act unlawful

l

America is above international law.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They don't care. The fighting is also mostly in, if we're being frank, non-Ukrainian areas where they're happy to punish the civilian population anyway. For them, the UXO is not their problem, either because they tacitly admit Russia will control those areas, or because they don't care to clean it up, should they somehow maintain possession of them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Hmm something like that would give China the necessary leverage over the US to make them agree to a cessation of hostilities, which is the only condition from the Ukrainian side that matters.

Bank collapse good.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Ardennes posted:

That said to be honest, I don’t know why the Russians would actually come to the table at this point unless Ukraine was suing for peace. Even if they didn’t want to go through another wave of mobilization, it would be a lot easier just to keep on shelling the Ukrainians indefinitely and let those factories do their job.

If the Russians know the Ukrainians are taking more casualties and have the ability to keep or accelerate that process, they will just kick back. It doesn’t seem like there is much war fatigue from the Russian population.

There's nothing really hurrying the Russians to the negotiation table right now. At this point the damage done by sanctions is baked in and mostly considered permanent, and there's rush or desire to revert to the previous situation. Even after a peace deal, I doubt the Russians will be re-joining SWIFT, integrating supply chains with the west or depositing any reserves in western banks. The cars and cellphones will be mostly Chinese, but equivalent in most ways to what was there before.

I'm starting to get the sense that the western approach to this war wasn't very well thought out.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Freezer posted:

I'm starting to get the sense that the western approach to this war wasn't very well thought out.

oh it was well thought out, just that the goals were insane

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

God drat how did I miss this happening?

it happened early and quickly

the first peace talks happened and then like a week later one of Ukraine's negotiators was shot dead, by Ukraine. They initially said he was a traitor and shot resisting arrest. Then immediately pretended they didn't say that and said he was buried as a hero with full honours. Now they don't talk about it at all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Freezer posted:

They created a situation where the state not only doesn't directly control any of the instruments for making war, but also can't direct them. Their only incentive mechanism is subsidy, which is immediately directed to (profitable for shareholders) stock buybacks rather than (unprofitable) material and labour intensive production of armaments.

We've created a system more chaotic and less sensible than the Chaos Dwarfs in Warhammer.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
If the goal is to bleed Russia then exponentially increasing the rate of birth defects and cancer in thier soon to be acquired lands is a good move. Over the next 30 years the cost to the state in medical treatment and lost productivity could be billions.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
can someone explain depleted uranium to me, it seems like a purely and uniquely evil substance to be using in any way, surely there have to be some military or economic justifications for its use

that's a really interesting analysis

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

indigi posted:

can someone explain depleted uranium to me, it seems like a purely and uniquely evil substance to be using in any way, surely there have to be some military or economic justifications for its use

that's a really interesting analysis

its extremely hard and dense, making it ideal for doing things like penetrating armor

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is it especially better or cheaper than other armor penetrating substances?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mlmp08 posted:

sources for both of those statements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

indigi posted:

is it especially better or cheaper than other armor penetrating substances?

yes. yes.