Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

M_Gargantua posted:

Also land cruisers and hiluxs are actually good vehicles, unlike an F150

:hfive:

spankmeister posted:

Bourbon is fine, but it's real easy to get bored of it imo. They're all variations on a theme.

despite great efforts to prove this I haven't found it to be true yet, guess I will keep trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

Bourbon is fine, but it's real easy to get bored of it imo. They're all variations on a theme.

So are blow jobs but I’m sure not getting tired of that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Good job it doesn't rain in Ukr- ah.
Waxed cardboard is fine for an afternoon in the rain. Things come packed in ice in waxed cardboard boxes all the time and it sheds enough melting ice water to retain its box-ness.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Crab Dad posted:

Reminds me that sprinter and Chevy vans made the absolute worse chassis for armored cars. loving trash turning radius and ate through break pads like a kid through gummies.

Transit 250s are working fine

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Flikken posted:

Transit 250s are working fine

Did the coach maker who uses transits manage to fit in a loving vent for the front cab that doesn’t really on engine being on?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1638220868009566208

Now there's some great news!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

hypnophant posted:

being able to ship them flat pack seems like a very worthwhile advantage

IKEA for warfare.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

stealie72 posted:

Waxed cardboard is fine for an afternoon in the rain. Things come packed in ice in waxed cardboard boxes all the time and it sheds enough melting ice water to retain its box-ness.

This. While the artillery and HQ units want a more durable drone, Ukrainian infantry operated drones don't usually survive 24 hours of operation anyway. They are all basically consumables.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Looks like I was right when I mused that there was some significant portability of skills for experienced AA and tank crews.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Stultus Maximus posted:

So are blow jobs but I’m sure not getting tired of that.

i mean there's billions of different dicks out there for u, there's only so many bourbons

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i mean there's billions of different dicks out there for u, there's only so many bourbons

There are more bourbons than scotches, and they are most definitely not all the same.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

There are more bourbons than scotches, and they are most definitely not all the same.

My father in law runs a cooperage that makes charred and toasted virgin American oak barrels for the Bourbon industry (one of his business partners owned a distillery himself before selling it for $Texas to a major beverage conglomerate). So I've gotten exposure to a wide variety of Bourbons, and I can confirm that they are many and varied.

The common brands you'll find across every liquor store tend to have common flavors that are more easily enjoyed by a wider variety of drinkers. Much like local micro breweries, though, small scale distilling falls victim to the American alcohol distribution system and its many failings. The result is a more homogenized global market, despite ample variety at the local and hyper-local level.

Generally, I prefer Scotch to Bourbon, but I've got a strong preference for Bourbon as a go-to when I don't want to drink a whiskey that demands a lot of attention (think a nice lager vs. a Belgian tripel). I also use it a lot in cocktails. And frankly sometimes I just want a bourbon. But the one area where Scotch really has a leg up on Bourbon is the number of independent bottlers that produce absolutely fantastic blended malts, many of which are difficult or even impossible to find outside of the UK and maybe Europe.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 21, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

psydude posted:

Much like local micro breweries, though, small scale distilling falls victim to the American alcohol distribution system and it's many failings. The result is a more homogenized global market, despite ample variety at the local and hyper-local level.

Getting unusual bourbon outside the US is a very challenging task. :smith:

LightRailTycoon posted:

Blocked sewers are getting serious

You should have seen the Mark-2!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2023/03/21/us-to-fast-track-abrams-for-ukraine-by-going-with-older-version/

Sending M1A1s instead now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

What use is a .30 carbine to them

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

My father in law runs a cooperage that makes charred and toasted virgin American oak barrels for the Bourbon industry (one of his business partners owned a distillery himself before selling it for $Texas to a major beverage conglomerate). So I've gotten exposure to a wide variety of Bourbons, and I can confirm that they are many and varied.

The common brands you'll find across every liquor store tend to have common flavors that are more easily enjoyed by a wider variety of drinkers. Much like local micro breweries, though, small scale distilling falls victim to the American alcohol distribution system and its many failings. The result is a more homogenized global market, despite ample variety at the local and hyper-local level.

Generally, I prefer Scotch to Bourbon, but I've got a strong preference for Bourbon as a go-to when I don't want to drink a whiskey that demands a lot of attention (think a nice lager vs. a Belgian tripel). I also use it a lot in cocktails. And frankly sometimes I just want a bourbon. But the one area where Scotch really has a leg up on Bourbon is the number of independent bottlers that produce absolutely fantastic blended malts, many of which are difficult or even impossible to find outside of the UK and maybe Europe.

With you on this one albeit I prefer bourbon because I have a pretty distinct line of "too much peat" that I routinely cross over trying new scotches.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
SPADs have existed for decades and we have all these horrible coroplast political campaign signs to recycle...

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

There are a whole bunch of M1A1s the Marine Corps recently turned in for refurbishing since they stood down their tank battalions.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

SPADs have existed for decades

I can't imagine many are still in flying condition, though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

What use is a .30 carbine to them

Not sure what you are asking?

I glanced through the article, and saw no mention of 30 Carbine.

30 Cal is still colloquially used to refer to 7.62/308 machine guns in some militaries. It fell out of use in the US after Vietnam, and was largely a holdover from when we had the 30-06 1918/1919 if I missed that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not sure what you are asking?

I glanced through the article, and saw no mention of 30 Carbine.

30 Cal is still colloquially used to refer to 7.62/308 machine guns in some militaries. It fell out of use in the US after Vietnam, and was largely a holdover from when we had the 30-06 1918/1919 if I missed that.

:thejoke:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1A1-Paratrooper.html

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My bad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hekk posted:

There are a whole bunch of M1A1s the Marine Corps recently turned in for refurbishing since they stood down their tank battalions.

Wait so the navy’s army doesn’t have land ships anymore?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1638355860316385283?t=W3EOYI8dJeqwTUZcOtSsbA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1638355862912638977?t=0j-MEF7bamHDDa1zrotitA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1638350796705202176?t=setT_vgmQfUphuS4ginW8Q&s=19

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm starting to think he wants to press the button.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

I'm starting to think he wants to press the button.

He wants you to think he wants to press the button.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

well it's not like he has any other means of power projection left

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

We as a species are pretty loving stupid, myopic and have short memories.

TBH I don't think it would be a bad idea to build a fake city out in the desert, invite the world leaders of every country to come look and watch it get blown up by a nuke, personally, just to remind the stupider ones why they haven't been used in anger since Nagasaki, and the smarter ones to keep an eye on the stupider ones. Maybe do this once every 50 years or so. (I know that due to the nuke testing bans this won't happen... Except maybe in NK and they don't invite spectators).

I just worry that people forget why nuclear Armageddon is something that has to be actively worked against without the occasional in your face, elevated radiation reminder.

I also would like proper modern 4k footage of a nuke doing its thing.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Carth Dookie posted:

I also would like proper modern 4k footage of a nuke doing its thing.
And with those 4D effects some theatres have.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FrozenVent posted:

Wait so the navy’s army doesn’t have land ships anymore?

No, but they kept their submarines

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GD_American posted:

No, but they kept their submarines

:golfclap:

I was going to reference keeping their barges or scows, but it was meh. Yours is wonderful.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Xi Jinping was just in Moscow, so an appropriate time to repost this meme.

Also John Bolton was interviewed on today's episode of Ukraine: The Latest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q00hEpltxQ

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Crossposting, because you're going to like it

IT'S HAPPENING

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1638472120534458368

Enjoy

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1638473462975954945

e:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638478508639789056

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 22, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Welp. Guess we're gonna see exactly what armor class bushmasters will defeat

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Power Khan posted:

Crossposting, because you're going to like it

IT'S HAPPENING

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1638472120534458368

“You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.”

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Time to pull out your A-10 coloring books, kids!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crini posted:

“You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.”

And sometimes you go to war with the army you had a much earlier time.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
On the plus side, once this is all over and done with, someone is going to have a lot of empty warehouse space available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

psydude posted:

:smith: I just finished my 175 anniversary 12yr blended Cadenhead and I'm still mourning the loss.