Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

goochtit posted:

but seriously the continuing death of subject-specific websites everywhere sucks. rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1638246373253345287?s=20

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

lucky ducky :argh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/Trendings911/status/1638237380829229056?t=XruwSnr_sHZlhpUZbeBuKA&s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

god i hope this is true

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Did trump get arrested yet?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone who has any kind of real hobby has probably been endlessly assaulted by well-meaning by friends and family recommending ways to monetize it. Every year people we know will tell us that we should sell produce from our garden at the farmer's market, or that we should make a gardening YouTube channel, or why do we put so much effort into it if we're not making money from it? I got into a small argument with a family member when I told him I was scaling back/more or less abandoning my fairly profitable 3d printing side gig because I wanted it to just be a hobby.

I like growing oyster mushrooms and such for myself and my "friend" started harassing me that i have to sell them and she would sell them for me and blah blah blah.

I loving hate the "everything has to be a side hustle" culture. It takes all the enjoyment out of just doing the thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The petroyuan arises.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

she looks undead

(bourgeois women aren’t people so don’t @ me)

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I like growing oyster mushrooms and such for myself and my "friend" started harassing me that i have to sell them and she would sell them for me and blah blah blah.

I loving hate the "everything has to be a side hustle" culture. It takes all the enjoyment out of just doing the thing.

As a European, one of the worst things about the US is the constant push for monetization. Every hobby, every relationship, they all feel transactional.

I understand why that’s the case - everything here costs money, and you’re terminally hosed if you don’t have any. Still, it’s immensely grating.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Seems odd that rubles/yuan are only 2/3 of the total China-Russia trade when those are their native currencies. I would have guessed higher.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Radirot posted:

darn how will i ever learn about the next camera with .3 more megapixels or updated lens with .1 larger aperture. my bird pics will never be sharp enough.

of course this circle exists by hyperconsumerist ego-stroking gear snobbery than taking pics

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

lol selling mushrooms is serious business in the us you have to keep serious records and reports for the usda in the chance you accidentally murder a whole nights worth of diners

you can also do it underground but then you'll have to deal with organized crime, which for some reason controls the edible mushroom market in the us

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol selling mushrooms is serious business in the us you have to keep serious records and reports for the usda in the chance you accidentally murder a whole nights worth of diners

you can also do it underground but then you'll have to deal with organized crime, which for some reason controls the edible mushroom market in the us

wtf

I love capitalism

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it’s because they often harvest wild ones in places where it is illegal to do so, and will even kill amateur mushrooms hunting folks or unlucky hikers. years back there were articles about it in the news.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sJ6IJZJhUU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

indistinguishable from Wall Street Bets

also rip to a real one dpreview

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Didn’t she win big on Tesla, she bought the dip.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Breaking Bad should have been about this

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am the one who inoculates.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Illegal morel growing operation, walt has the secret substrate and humidity settings no one else does.

honestly morel mushrooms probably cost more by weight than meth

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Skyler, you should stop worrying so much. You know I’m a fun guy.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i was informed at a dinner party after having already eaten quite a bit that we were being fed wildly collected mushrooms and I felt more unsafe at that dinner than I would at a meth lab

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i was informed at a dinner party after having already eaten quite a bit that we were being fed wildly collected mushrooms and I felt more unsafe at that dinner than I would at a meth lab

I live in (illogical) constant fear of accidental death cap consumption

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol that's pretty hosed up because people can have pretty wildly different reactions to certain safe but not for commercial sale sort of mushrooms.

Also a bunch of mushrooms have bad reactions to alcohol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s because they often harvest wild ones in places where it is illegal to do so, and will even kill amateur mushrooms hunting folks or unlucky hikers. years back there were articles about it in the news.

America is so great that if you go off paved roads and try to be in nature there's a chance someone is going to kill you for it, because it's their turf or "their turf".

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2023/03/20/digital-asset-outflows-continue-for-6th-week-despite-bitcoin-price-surge/

quote:

Despite bitcoin’s price surging, digital asset investment products totaled net outflows for a sixth consecutive week last week, a report by CoinShares shows.

Digital asset net outflows totaled $95 million for the week ending March 17.

Outflows in digital asset investment products for the last six weeks totaled $424 million, the digital asset investment group found.
View All Prices

Bitcoin, ether and multi-asset outflows totaled a combined $130 million, although bitcoin also had $35 million in inflows. Those inflows were short bitcoin, meaning that investors were betting on bitcoin’s price falling.

Overall, the data may reflect a need for liquidity among investors, according to CoinShares. Meanwhile, the largest cryptocurrency by market value’s price has surged from a low of about $19,400 in early March to its current level near $28,000. Over the past week, bitcoin has risen almost 15%.

“It is evident this sentiment is contrarian relative to the rest of the crypto market,” the CoinShares report said. “It may be driven, in part, by the need for liquidity during this banking crisis, a similar situation was seen when the [COVID-19] panic first hit in March 2020.”

After having outflows of $13 million over the past week, Ethereum witnessed inflows totaling $1.3 million.

The positive Ethereum sentiment that led to investors pumping money into ether-related funds reinforces the narrative that the need for liquidity drove bitcoin outflows, according to CoinShares.
Actual money is flowing out of crypto, even as bitcoin climbs. Bags are being prepared.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
lol is the serious zeitgeist of the market that if the FED just waves a magic wand and says that all deposits and risk are a hundred percent covered and mitigated even though that is comically impossible in any practical way, number loving skyrockets?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Economics is a science

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

lol is the serious zeitgeist of the market that if the FED just waves a magic wand and says that all deposits and risk are a hundred percent covered and mitigated even though that is comically impossible in any practical way, number loving skyrockets?

it's like a fight starting at a bar and the owner jumps up on a table with a gun screaming that he will kill everyone in the bar if they break anything

it makes no sense and everyone knows this guy won't go to prison for life to save a few thousand dollars of smoke stained lovely bar furniture but it diffuses tensions and calms things down so people buy more drinks and the band starts playing again

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Mar 22, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Basic Poster posted:

You insure all deposits to prevent panic, thus ensuring that you will never need to honor your promises, which you didn't need to make anyway because the banking system is strong and stable, but also the markets will commit ritual suicide unless you promise to protect them from everything bad forever.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

What part of infinite money do you not understand?

1) Money

2) Infinite

Boom

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
surely it must be easy to start a bank to get in on the next bull market?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

just casually nationalizing deposit banking in the worst, least efficient way possible

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Illegal morel growing operation, walt has the secret substrate and humidity settings no one else does.

there are wild harvested mushrooms in our area that have extremely time tight international logistics chains. they’re so so much money.

skooma512 posted:

America is so great that if you go off paved roads and try to be in nature there's a chance someone is going to kill you for it, because it's their turf or "their turf".

I have a friend whose father used to professionally estimate high-end hardwood timber yields on rural properties in the west. I remember him telling me how his dad bought a property for the lumber growing on it only to have the locals who had wanted it burn it all down because they couldn’t have it. (which was dumb because he had insured it)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like bitcoin going up so much should be more alarming to more people

with the state of the real economy and the way the cavemen in charge are struggling with the money monster we created it should be a concerning sign that the stupidest asset humanity has ever devised is doing amazing all of a sudden

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i feel like bitcoin going up so much should be more alarming to more people

with the state of the real economy and the way the cavemen in charge are struggling with the money monster we created it should be a concerning sign that the stupidest asset humanity has ever devised is doing amazing all of a sudden

smart money fleeing the banking collapse friend

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Basic Poster posted:

Of course. If your risk is all covered then that means you may as well start making riskier and riskier bets because gently caress it, you at worst come away with your losses covered by taxpayers. Which means number goes up!

I mean sure, things could go so poorly that the government can't afford to cover all the losses across all the too big to fail banks, but once we're at that point people will be too busy dealing with the end of capitalism to worry about who bet on what with money they didn't have!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

silicone thrills posted:

That wouldn't surprise me... they're loving delicious.

I found a bunch in the forest once. Once you know what morels look like, you can't really mistake them for anything else, although they are really hard to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

wild ginger and ginseng are another thing folks will kill your rear end over those are more Appalachian than PNW though. I’ve run into the illegal gold prospectors every now and then usually that goes well because I’ll tell then where I’ve seen flakes in the sand after big rain storms or high snow melt off.