Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes. I'm not sure what's the point that you're trying to make with the cutesy smiley, though, but I'll remind you just in case that I'm not the U.S. President, contrary to any potential beliefs.
And I thought you were Biden's parachute account all this time! Very disappointing.

Nah I was just hinting that this seems like an excuse they had to switch to after "Ukraine doesn't need it" became pretty silly. Probably to cover the concerns of escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Or it could be another episode of Spanish Leopards, or something else entirely.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Russia also arguably started that one. In all honesty I might have included World War I too, and that the Russian Empire did lose, but its losses were reversed over the course of the next 25 years. My point stands that so-called Russian fears of having a weak and difficult to defend western frontier has a basis in historical reality that is just as weak and difficult to defend.

Hey, Russia is the only country that celebrates its independence from Poland as a state holiday

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Or it could be another episode of Spanish Leopards, or something else entirely.
Certainly, this is definitely just trying to read the tea leaves here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pope Hilarius II posted:

That was a counter-attack.

Russia also arguably started that one. In all honesty I might have included World War I too, and that the Russian Empire did lose, but its losses were reversed over the course of the next 25 years. My point stands that so-called Russian fears of having a weak and difficult to defend western frontier has a basis in historical reality that is just as weak and difficult to defend.

Anyway, don't want to cause much of a derail here.

From the russian perspective, winning horrible wars against Europe-conquering empires doesn’t teach you “guess we should weaken the border. All is good.” I don’t see your point.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Owling Howl posted:

Median age and family size were very different then. Ukraine was already aging fast and this war is turning a lot of young people into refugees or corpses...

Yeah, just the easy access to contraceptives and both parents working puts a real dampener on population growth. And since it's main backers are themselves doctrinally entrenched in declining birthrates I'm doubtful a post war Ukraine will have the economic freedom to implement some real population growth incentives like good parental benefits, stable jobs and easily accessible good daycare.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

mobby_6kl posted:

I had a paragraph about this in a previous post but cut it out for length. Almost all of Europe's defense is there is to keep Russia away. Who else is a threat, Morocco? As well as half of the US stockpiles, aren't they always talking about fighting two wars on two different continents? Well one half of that had have been earmarked for Russia, because other than random Middle-eastern adventures of choice, there's nothing else to do here.

I thought the two-war policy was abandoned some time ago. Might be misremembering.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EasilyConfused posted:

I thought the two-war policy was abandoned some time ago. Might be misremembering.

The two-front bullshit was officially abandoned during Obama, first term Obama, when I was in school. It was gone long before that.

Sorry on behalf of my people that we can’t teleport tanks from the desert with no working parts.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
People were talking about the effectiveness of the M1A1/Leopard MBTs versus Russian T-72s and the like. This video (animated icons, not footage) demonstrates the brutal disparity between Bradley AFVs, let alone M1A1 (I think) tanks versus entrenched Iraqi T-72s. And from the evidence so far, it wouldn't seem that Russian tank commanders or leadership are any better trained. I don't know if an Iraqi T-72 is distinctly different than a current Russian one, so if it's not relevant information let me know.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Huggybear posted:

People were talking about the effectiveness of the M1A1/Leopard MBTs versus Russian T-72s and the like. This video (animated icons, not footage) demonstrates the brutal disparity between Bradley AFVs, let alone M1A1 (I think) tanks versus entrenched Iraqi T-72s. And from the evidence so far, it wouldn't seem that Russian tank commanders or leadership are any better trained. I don't know if an Iraqi T-72 is distinctly different than a current Russian one, so if it's not relevant information let me know.

Upgraded Russian T-72s have better optics and additive armor than the ones Iraq had in 1990 or 2003, but the latter won't make a meaningful difference against 25mm sabot, TOW 2-B ATGMs, or 120mm sabot. The better optics may help them acquire and engage targets better. I suspect Ukrainian armor crews are getting longer and better training than Russian armor crews, though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/KvotheTheArcane/status/1638314841487147008

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Ynglaur posted:

Upgraded Russian T-72s have better optics and additive armor than the ones Iraq had in 1990 or 2003, but the latter won't make a meaningful difference against 25mm sabot, TOW 2-B ATGMs, or 120mm sabot. The better optics may help them acquire and engage targets better. I suspect Ukrainian armor crews are getting longer and better training than Russian armor crews, though.

I seriously question the optics and IR capability of current Russian tanks. I know modern ATGMs likely engage from much further away, and Russian armor does not appear to operate with combined arms, and they are attacking, not defending (which theoretically gives the defender hull down and only presenting frontal and top turret advantage towards attacking enemy if they are smart)...but the Russians should be better at identifying defensive infantry and emplacements prior to attacking even if just with drones. I realize it is partially confirmation bias, but the photos and footage of burnt out tanks in clusters really does look like they are going in blind.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 22, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Hasn’t it been said that the Russian crews lack thermal sights in any numbers in general? Let’s be honest most of the T-72s and 80s that had the most upgraded equipment got destroyed/captured months and months ago or never went to theater in the first place. They could be getting stuff from China to upgrade what they have available but it wouldn’t be in any numbers to make a real difference.

From the footage coming out of the hot spots Russia seems to be using fewer tanks in general lately. Part of that is likely because of the weather and that they are fighting mostly in heavily fortified areas but when you do see armor at all it is generally a BMP. Most of what you see anymore is a mixture of human wave attacks, probing scout units and artillery. Russia has been throwing blood and treasure at Bakhmut for what, 6-7 months and have little to show for it other than losing a ton of other territory? As the weather improves and Ukraine gets more goodies things will continue to get more and more bleak for Russia.

I honestly don’t even know what objectives Russia are even working toward now. The dream of taking Ukraine is long gone and the longer they keep throwing more and more uneasily replaceable man and material at a failure I don’t think they will be even able to retain 2014 boarders at this point. You don’t even hear Russian propaganda with wild claims anymore like you did last September and October.

The recent announcements of equipment that previously was deemed off limits seems to me that you have a lot of players looking to try and end this by the end of the Summer. Politically this will likely start to get dicey in the US by the Fall as the election season starts to heat up. Also I am sure a lot of European countries likely don’t want to have to navigate another Winter with a gas crisis.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The quoted article says that two mechanised/Bradley battalions and one field artillery battalion (1400) have already completed training and are on the front lines, and that a Bradley battalion, three Stryker battalions, and another field artillery battalion plus brigade staff (2500) are about to finish training in Germany and head back to Ukraine alongside the two Patriot batteries.

Wonder where those two "mechanised" (probably with Marders rather than Bradleys) battalions and their tube buddies are right now, if they're already back

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Djarum posted:

Hasn’t it been said that the Russian crews lack thermal sights in any numbers in general? Let’s be honest most of the T-72s and 80s that had the most upgraded equipment got destroyed/captured months and months ago or never went to theater in the first place. They could be getting stuff from China to upgrade what they have available but it wouldn’t be in any numbers to make a real difference.

From the footage coming out of the hot spots Russia seems to be using fewer tanks in general lately. Part of that is likely because of the weather and that they are fighting mostly in heavily fortified areas but when you do see armor at all it is generally a BMP. Most of what you see anymore is a mixture of human wave attacks, probing scout units and artillery. Russia has been throwing blood and treasure at Bakhmut for what, 6-7 months and have little to show for it other than losing a ton of other territory? As the weather improves and Ukraine gets more goodies things will continue to get more and more bleak for Russia.

I honestly don’t even know what objectives Russia are even working toward now. The dream of taking Ukraine is long gone and the longer they keep throwing more and more uneasily replaceable man and material at a failure I don’t think they will be even able to retain 2014 boarders at this point. You don’t even hear Russian propaganda with wild claims anymore like you did last September and October.

The recent announcements of equipment that previously was deemed off limits seems to me that you have a lot of players looking to try and end this by the end of the Summer. Politically this will likely start to get dicey in the US by the Fall as the election season starts to heat up. Also I am sure a lot of European countries likely don’t want to have to navigate another Winter with a gas crisis.

Won't every Winter going forward be easier for Europe to deal with since they basically had to quit using Russian gas cold turkey? And I think they basically found other sources or alternative types of energy. Besides if the war ended tomorrow I still don't think Europe would go back to using Russian gas for a long time if ever. At least I hope not.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Charliegrs posted:

Won't every Winter going forward be easier for Europe to deal with since they basically had to quit using Russian gas cold turkey? And I think they basically found other sources or alternative types of energy. Besides if the war ended tomorrow I still don't think Europe would go back to using Russian gas for a long time if ever. At least I hope not.

I believe that they stockpiled before the winter coupled with it being very mild. I am sure someone can give a better answer to it all.

The bigger issue isn’t that they would be as reliant upon Russian gas anymore as much as the war has caused prices to skyrocket. There are other causes as well to the massive worldwide inflation in general but I have several friends that live in Europe that had to ration their heat this winter mainly due to cost.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The two-front bullshit was officially abandoned during Obama, first term Obama, when I was in school. It was gone long before that.

Sorry on behalf of my people that we can’t teleport tanks from the desert with no working parts.
Thanks, Obama!

Regardless of the policy, I'm still very skeptical of this being a capability limitation rather than desire. Russia is the top contenders to start poo poo besides China and this is the easiest and cheapest way to address that threat.

We've seen how much forces could get tied down in Iraq1 (700k troops), 2 (>200k troops) and Afghanistan (150k) without it actually an issue in terms of deterring other adversaries. None would be involved here outside of logistics. Let's see how much firepower was dedicated to liberating the very geopolitically important ally that is Kuwait:

quote:

The U.S. VII Corps was the primary combat formation of the coalition forces.[181] It was a formidable fighting force consisting of 1,487 tanks, 1,384 infantry fighting vehicles, 568 artillery pieces, 132 MLRS, 8 missile launchers, and 242 attack helicopters.[182] It had a total troop strength of 146,321 troops.
That's just one part of the coalition forces used. Seems like a reasonable force to go against a major military like Iraq. But we can't engage directly because WW3. We can't dedicate similar amounts of existing hardware because Switzerland-Morocco threat. So to build up the force to repel the Russian threat in the middle of Europe, we can order... 31 M1s?

tl;dr: imo at some point it seems that the consensus has been reached to face this with the least amount of :effort: possible probably due to a few thing that I don't really think should be an actual factor in this, but it is what it is.
  • Nooooks
  • Trauma from Iraq 2/Afghanistan adventures
  • Domestic politics over issues with inflation and costs of living and so on.

Of course, we live in a borscht-based society.

Djarum posted:

I believe that they stockpiled before the winter coupled with it being very mild. I am sure someone can give a better answer to it all.

The bigger issue isn’t that they would be as reliant upon Russian gas anymore as much as the war has caused prices to skyrocket. There are other causes as well to the massive worldwide inflation in general but I have several friends that live in Europe that had to ration their heat this winter mainly due to cost.
Gas prices are down to pre-war levels. Restocking might be challenging as last year we still had some russian gas, but we do have most of the year to figure it out.

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/01/16/natural-gas-futures-in-europe-plunge-15-today-down-84-from-crazy-spike/

I might've turned the heating on a few days this winter and used an electric blanket instead a bit. It wasn't really too necessary this year.

A few articles on the Patriot and M1A1 deliveries that are more detailed than the regular mainstream media:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-patriot-air-defenses-to-arrive-sooner-than-anticipated
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/m1a1-abrams-variant-will-be-given-to-ukraine-to-expedite-tank-deliveries

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Huggybear posted:

I seriously question the optics and IR capability of current Russian tanks. I know modern ATGMs likely engage from much further away, and Russian armor does not appear to operate with combined arms, and they are attacking, not defending (which theoretically gives the defender hull down and only presenting frontal and top turret advantage towards attacking enemy if they are smart)...but the Russians should be better at identifying defensive infantry and emplacements prior to attacking even if just with drones. I realize it is partially confirmation bias, but the photos and footage of burnt out tanks in clusters really does look like they are going in blind.

Russian MIC relied on imported french optics/thermals for its vehicles and that source was cut off from 2014, homegrown industry cant supply enough to equip and modernize whole park. Especially with new production and unpacked conserved stuff during the war.

Speaking of de-mothballing, its happening

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1638472120534458368?t=8lheU5Y59zcjiM4phbEvIg&s=19

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 22, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.ft.com/content/137479f8-c748-4953-9efa-affba553695a

Ukraine clinches $15.6bn IMF loan

quote:

The IMF has struck a deal with Ukraine to provide a $15.6bn loan and a long-awaited financial lifeline to Kyiv as it tries to shore up its economy in the face of Russia’s full-blown invasion of the country.

The multilateral lender announced the agreement on Tuesday after a series of talks with Ukrainian authorities in Warsaw held this month. It still needs to be approved by the IMF board, which is expected to happen in the coming weeks.

Gavin Gray, the IMF official leading the talks, said: “The staff-level agreement reflects the IMF’s continued commitment to support Ukraine and is expected to help mobilise large-scale concessional financing from Ukraine’s international donors and partners over the duration of the programme.”

The IMF said the programme would unfold in two stages, with the first 12-18 months devoted to build “fiscal, external, price and financial stability”. This would be focused on “revenue mobilisation” — increasing tax collection — as well as eliminating “monetary financing” and relying on domestic debt markets instead. Ukraine also committed to strengthening its governance and anti-corruption framework, the IMF said.

The second phase of the deal, which will last four years, is designed to “entrench macroeconomic stability, support recovery and early reconstruction”, as Kyiv tries to achieve its goal of EU accession. “During the second phase, Ukraine would be expected to revert to prewar policy frameworks, including a flexible exchange rate and inflation-targeting regime,” the IMF said.

[…]

Pretty big news, and as far as I remember somewhat unprecedented. To say those are risky loans is a bit of an understatement, but they are important in keeping Ukraine running. From the way it is worded it seems people expect Ukraine to rebound quickly, or am I reading too much into it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

From the way it is worded it seems people expect Ukraine to rebound quickly, or am I reading too much into it?

I think it's very likely Ukraine will be getting a lot of support to recover from many different places to help recovery, but with how long it will take to recover, I mean we still don't know how long the war will continue and under what conditions it will end. I think there is far to many unknowns for anyone to say anything reliable at the moment.

But I mean however it ends Ukraine will need to recover, and at the moment they need funds to keep on going, so defiantly all for this.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

mobby_6kl posted:

tl;dr: imo at some point it seems that the consensus has been reached to face this with the least amount of :effort: possible probably due to a few thing that I don't really think should be an actual factor in this, but it is what it is.
The lowest effort is nothing. The over €100 billion in aid Ukraine has received is a hell of a lot more than nothing.

quote:

Gas prices are down to pre-war levels. Restocking might be challenging as last year we still had some russian gas, but we do have most of the year to figure it out.

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/01/16/natural-gas-futures-in-europe-plunge-15-today-down-84-from-crazy-spike/
The rise in gas prices in summer 2021 are also related to the war. The US government started ringing the alarm about Putin preparing something big in Ukraine around June, which caused the markets to factor in an increasing risk premium as the signs of war grew clearer. Prices are still twice what they were before this whole thing started. Still, if lower than anticipated gas demand in China persists prices may drop further. (I wonder if the low demand in China is because they have been able to increase supply from Russia faster than expected.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Djarum posted:

Also I am sure a lot of European countries likely don’t want to have to navigate another Winter with a gas crisis.

It's not that bad. While consumption-cutting was helped by an extraordinarily mild winter, gas prices are unlikely to reach even a half of what they peaked at last year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Area posted:

The lowest effort is nothing. The over €100 billion in aid Ukraine has received is a hell of a lot more than nothing.

The rise in gas prices in summer 2021 are also related to the war. The US government started ringing the alarm about Putin preparing something big in Ukraine around June, which caused the markets to factor in an increasing risk premium as the signs of war grew clearer. Prices are still twice what they were before this whole thing started. Still, if lower than anticipated gas demand in China persists prices may drop further. (I wonder if the low demand in China is because they have been able to increase supply from Russia faster than expected.)
Ok correction, "least amount to [possibly] achieve the stated goals".

As for prices, fine, sure, but twice isn't as much of an issue as 10 times.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Grey Area posted:

You can't just magic up gas pipelines, compressors, etc. Russia's whole gas infrastructure for 50 years has been about shifting it westwards to Europe, you can't turn that around in a year even if Putin had made that effort a priority, which he has very much not. Weaker Gas demand in China is probably related to the economic hangovers of their zero-covid measures and the large covid wave that followed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Russian MIC relied on imported french optics/thermals for its vehicles and that source was cut off from 2014, homegrown industry cant supply enough to equip and modernize whole park. Especially with new production and unpacked conserved stuff during the war.

Speaking of de-mothballing, its happening

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1638472120534458368?t=8lheU5Y59zcjiM4phbEvIg&s=19

Pretty sure the French continued after 2014, just didn't renew.

Anyway, it would actually be somewhat impressive if they can get those T-5x to move, given they are something like 60 to 70 years old, though I suppose a tank is less likely to be rusted through than a car with all that armor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OddObserver posted:

Pretty sure the French continued after 2014, just didn't renew.

Anyway, it would actually be somewhat impressive if they can get those T-5x to move, given they are something like 60 to 70 years old, though I suppose a tank is less likely to be rusted through than a car with all that armor.

They made a whole lot of them, and those on the rail cars seem to be in pretty good shape, although they are not heavily upgraded and don't include (semimodern) basics like a laser rangefinder. I do wonder what the Russians will do with them. I can think of a few possible options:

1) Ersatz self-propelled artillery. This war has seen a substantial development in drone-spotted indirect fire from tanks. The T-54s aren't able to do much as tanks, but they could be somewhat effective as 100mm self propelled guns. They would not perform all that worse in this role than a more modern tank, since most of the fancy rangefinders, sights, and ballistic computers are useful only for direct fire.
2) Rebuilding as some kind of infantry fighting vehicle. The Israelis rebuilt a bunch of captured T-54s as super-heavy IFVs; there's probably some utility for a 40 ton IFV that's armored like a tank to try to penetrate some of the heavy defensive lines that are being built.
3) Upgrading them for use as tanks. I think this is a bit unlikely as the Russians generally lack equipment to upgrade to modern standards, although I think it would be possible to use various parts bin pieces from more modern T-55s to upgrade these tanks. This would necessitate those T-55s being mechanically in shambles but with working laser rangefinders, sights, and stabilizers, which seems unlikely.
4) Deploying them as-is in rear area security units / non-frontline theaters to free up other resources to be used at the front. Reasonably smart, but I'm not sure what exchanges could be practically made.
5) Deploying them as-is to make good on losses in front line units.

The first one actually makes a fair bit of sense so I expect (given the Russian's overall level of coordination and competence) to see these things leading an attack on Bakhmut within the week.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
100mm gun? So yet another ammo type. I guess a lot depends on how much useable ammo is stocked for that...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

100mm gun? So yet another ammo type. I guess a lot depends on how much useable ammo is stocked for that...
How many will Ukraine have? I think at least 3 different calibers and way more types of each

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638500383688409090?cxt=HHwWhIC24d7aj70tAAAA

Zelensky apparently did another visit to Bakhmut recently. Pretty ballsy and indicative that Ukrainians still maintain good control over the access into the city? It does seem like Russian progress has been stalled last few days.

And on T-5x talk, how would they function as IFVs? Isn't the point of the IFV to transport some amount of troops? The Israelis ripped out the turret and the engine, if you don't do that there won't be space for anybody. I do wonder where these end up and how soon they'll show up on the loss counter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

mobby_6kl posted:

How many will Ukraine have? I think at least 3 different calibers and way more types of each

Ukraine is running 100mm (towed AT guns), 115mm (captured T-62), 125mm (captured T-72/80/90, T-64/84), 152mm (Soviet artillery), 155mm (NATO artillery), and 203mm (Soviet artillery), and adding NATO 105mm, French 105mm, UK 120mm, and German 120mm tank guns.

Then there's the different types of MLRS (HIMARS, Grad, Smerch), a variety of IFV ammo(BMP, Marder, Bradley, Scorpion), and even small arms ammo (7.62, 5.56/5.45, .50, 9mm), all duplicated east and west.

Which is a lot, but is a result of the emergency nature of their mish mash forces.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 22, 2023

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You can't just magic up gas pipelines, compressors, etc. Russia's whole gas infrastructure for 50 years has been about shifting it westwards to Europe, you can't turn that around in a year even if Putin had made that effort a priority, which he has very much not. Weaker Gas demand in China is probably related to the economic hangovers of their zero-covid measures and the large covid wave that followed.

I deal in chemical solvents for a living and I can tell you natural gas is the biggest input into producing pretty much all kinds of chemicals you could think of that go into every day life. It's incredibly versatile as a feedstock and also cheaper with better yields than crude. China's domestic demand fell off a cliff since Q4 of last year and they've been dumping their solvent products on western markets at record low prices. Even on commodities like solvents that's not enough to fully absorb the demand. There's also major economic headwinds as countries like the US begin decoupling their economies from the Chinese market. Even now labor costs in places like Mexico have become significantly lower than Chinese labor costs with obviously shorter logistic tails since you can use railways and barges to move materials. All this is to say that over the next 10 years Latin America is going to be a major exporter of manufactured goods to the US in ways China was during the last 20 years. Mexico is leading that pack with the quality of their education system and size of their population sufficient enough to generate substantial savings. The whole concept is called "near shoring" and it's basically the future of international trade.

China isn't going through an economic hangover. China is in for a prolonged period of economic malaise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Ukraine is running 100mm (towed AT guns), 115mm (captured T-62), 125mm (captured T-72/80/90, T-64/84), 152mm (Soviet artillery), 155mm (NATO artillery), and 203mm (Soviet artillery), and adding NATO 105mm, French 105mm, UK 120mm, and German 120mm tank guns.

Which is a lot, but is a result of the emergency nature of their mish mash forces.
poo poo that's worse than I imagined :v:

WarpedLichen posted:

And on T-5x talk, how would they function as IFVs? Isn't the point of the IFV to transport some amount of troops? The Israelis ripped out the turret and the engine, if you don't do that there won't be space for anybody. I do wonder where these end up and how soon they'll show up on the loss counter.
Just ride on top, I'd imagine

Kraftwerk posted:

I deal in chemical solvents for a living and I can tell you natural gas is the biggest input into producing pretty much all kinds of chemicals you could think of that go into every day life. It's incredibly versatile as a feedstock and also cheaper with better yields than crude. China's domestic demand fell off a cliff since Q4 of last year and they've been dumping their solvent products on western markets at record low prices. Even on commodities like solvents that's not enough to fully absorb the demand. There's also major economic headwinds as countries like the US begin decoupling their economies from the Chinese market. Even now labor costs in places like Mexico have become significantly lower than Chinese labor costs with obviously shorter logistic tails since you can use railways and barges to move materials. All this is to say that over the next 10 years Latin America is going to be a major exporter of manufactured goods to the US in ways China was during the last 20 years. Mexico is leading that pack with the quality of their education system and size of their population sufficient enough to generate substantial savings. The whole concept is called "near shoring" and it's basically the future of international trade.
Hopefully Ukraine can become this for Europe too, we were already somewhat on the way after 2014

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 22, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Then there's the different types of MLRS (HIMARS, Grad, Smerch), a variety of IFV ammo(BMP, Marder, Bradley, Scorpion), and even small arms ammo (7.62, 5.56/5.45, .50, 9mm), all duplicated east and west.

Probably some 122mm artillery still around, too

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Very interesting to see. Russia only had 600 left combined in reserve + storage in 2013 according to wikipedia (and presumably significantly lower than 100% of those are actually usable in 2023), so they won't be lasting too long if they're destined for the front.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

mobby_6kl posted:

Hopefully Ukraine can become this for Europe too, we were already somewhat on the way after 2014

Yup, Ukraine was a major source of stuff like tires and wire harnesses for European automotive suppliers. Again I've always been super impressed at how well educated and adaptive Ukrainians are. They improvise in creative ways and will do a lot of good work that makes investing in them a great payoff if Russia stops bombing the place. With any luck the gas fields will still be usable and they'll be another source of energy from a safer place to Europe. With any luck they'll have a good European style social safety network of Pensions, disability benefits, housing programs, healthcare and education so they can keep going and focus on repopulating. If anyone deserves it, they do.

I bet the US Army will be surprised at whatever combat mods and tactics Ukrainian soldiers will come up with for their Bradleys and so on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

WarpedLichen posted:

That's precisely what I was suggesting - rebuilding them as a Russian Achzarit. It would be a fair amount of work, but it makes a lot more sense than throwing T-54s in to combat.

OddObserver posted:

I would imagine they have quite a bit lying around; the DT-10 was produced for a long time and the Russians don't throw things away. Whether that ammunition is any good is obviously a different consideration.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

WarpedLichen posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638500383688409090?cxt=HHwWhIC24d7aj70tAAAA

Zelensky apparently did another visit to Bakhmut recently. Pretty ballsy and indicative that Ukrainians still maintain good control over the access into the city? It does seem like Russian progress has been stalled last few days.

Pro tier trolling Putin after his night visit to Mariupol

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

China isn't going through an economic hangover. China is in for a prolonged period of economic malaise.

It is also why China is trying to cozy up with Russia as much as possible. I assume they will try and prop them up as long as they can as well. If Putin and the government there collpases there will be a massive void which will no doubt be filled by pro-Westerners. Eastern Russia would be the new goldmine effectively since it could easily become the new China. You have ports that could give you faster shipping to North America coupled with train lines to ship to Europe. You have a better work force there as well.

China losing sphere of influence is going to cause them to behave more recklessly. Also it is unknown how they will react as they have the oncoming economic downturn and the large middle class population that has developed over the last 20 years has all of the luxuries they have become accustomed to dry up. That is all a discussion for another thread though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Definitely not related to Putin's arrest warrant, 17 Ukrainian children returned to Ukraine from Russia and occupied territories.

https://www.facebook.com/SaveUkraine.center/videos/1078410300216364/

quote:

Today, when children return to their homeland, we are once again deeply moved. They are tired from the journey and prolonged stress, but happy to be home.
These are children from the Kherson and Kharkiv regions who were displaced further into the occupied territories or into Russia during the occupation. But after the de-occupation, the Russians refused to organise the return of the children, and the parents were left to deal with this problem on their own. Difficult logistics, constant danger, a line of fire or several borders have turned getting children back into an extra difficult task for many of them. That's why they turn to Save Ukraine for help.

We are very pleased that everything went well, and the families will now be able to have some rest and recover from the severe psychological trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Don't forget Rheinmetall is trying hard to add Ukraine as another market for their future Leo-3 thing. That tank has a 130mm tank gun, and if that prototype ever makes into serial production before the war ends, Ukraine will probably end up buying some of them.