Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ZearothK posted:

Shadow of the Weird Wizard kinda does that with weapon traits only becoming active if characters have certain stat thresholds, and then you have combat tokens available to martial classes that you can spend to improve your attacks.
I'm looking forward to checking that out. I found SotDL a bit of a disappointment - it didn't live up to the promises it was making at early levels, and magic turned into a balance trainwreck. (Even the fighty sorts needed a flowchart to track how many Boons they'd have on any given attack.)

I'm hoping this is a solid refinement of the core ideas, with hopefully less poop jokes and gross-out horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lemon-Lime posted:

I am begging the people suggesting that fighter/caster disparity would be solved by giving fighters small, incredibly finnicky maths bonuses to please play a game other than D&D.

I just thought about iron heroes

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon-Lime posted:

I am begging the people suggesting that fighter/caster disparity would be solved by giving fighters small, incredibly finnicky maths bonuses to please play a game other than D&D.
What are you talking about? Going up a die size in certain specific circumstances is obviously comparable to caster abilities. What, you want to be able to just point at a guy and command them to die from sheer force of will or something? Do you have any idea how unrealistic and gamebreakingly overpowered that would be for anyone who's not a wizard?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So you're telling me you've never been to an academic conference.
We don't. Talk. About. The owlrangutan!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the problem with operating off of Fighter Mana is that you ultimately get the same thing as Wizards do where after blowing their spell load for the day, they have very little to fall back on.

I was thinking they get those points every round.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was thinking they get those points every round.

Have powers that operate on cooldown I guess. Like you can only use Shield Bash every 3 rounds, Mega Cleave every 4 rounds, etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Operating on strict cooldowns, to my mind, just ends with people getting locked into "optimal" rotations of power usage. Energy expenditure is more flexible.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
But what about out of combat?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Ominous Jazz posted:

But what about out of combat?

Simply replace every system with combat.

Social interactions? Combat.
Picking a lock? No, you're fighting it.
Stealth? You're attacking their senses.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Ah yes
The Exalted solution

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ego Trip posted:

Ah yes
The Exalted solution

“I parry the falling damage with my buster sword” is still my quickest, most effective pitch for Exalted.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kestral posted:

“I parry the falling damage with my buster sword” is still my quickest, most effective pitch for Exalted.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It didn't seem like this was against the rules, but I have about, 20 postcards some of them are game-related, and was wondering if anyone would like to be sent a postcard. It seemed like a neat thing to get in the mail.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Admiralty Flag posted:

My first thought was, "That'd be OP. How about Brutal 1 (reroll all damage dice=1)?"

But then I thought, what about weapon tags that only fighters could access, and only at level X (to prevent dipping)? Each weapon would have a tag like brutal, rending (extra static damage for hooked/backbladed weapons), exploding (probably have to make this d10s or d12s only or it would outweigh all other options), improved crits (range and/or multiplier), defensive, threatening reach, up-close (can use while grappling), armor-piercing (ignore 2 points of non-DEX/non-shield AC if target has at least 4 points of pure armor AC, and yes I know that's worded clumsily), etc.

Of course, they'd probably give the ability away to another class option in a splatbook tout suite and from there it'd go to everyone, but it'd be nice while it lasted.
You're sort-of describing Weapon Mastery in BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia. Instead of automatically getting proficiency with all your class weapons, you have slots to buy proficiency levels in specific weapons, from Basic to Grandmaster. Each weapon has special traits that get better as your proficiency improves, as well as to-hit and damage bonuses. Everyone gets Weapon Mastery, but Fighters get like twice as many slots.

Daggers give AC bonuses and have an expanded crit range. Halberds trip and disarm. Lances charge for big damage, while spears repel charges. Swords disarm, give AC bonuses, and can parry attacks, while flails are hard to parry. Bows make enemies lose initiative, crossbows stun. Most weapons have multiple abilities, and it really gives the fighter a reason to put down the sword and pick up something weird like a bola or a net if the situation calls for it. The defensive boosts from weapons like staves and swords are great for Wizards and Thieves.

Just as importantly: unlike 3e, monsters aren't balanced against the assumption that the martial characters are operating at peak minmaxitude with a one-trick-pony build. A 10th level Fighter with a few ranks of Mastery in his favourite weapon can reliably hit 20HD red dragons, and may semi-reliably hit the epic-level boss monsters that have AC -12.

But the system would need a bit of an overhaul for modern sensibilities. Some weapons are still just better than others. Some abilities hinge off saving throws, or cross-referencing your level/mastery with the target's HD to determine how nasty a status effect you can slap on them. Also, every weapon has two tables, one vs. "armed" and one vs. "unarmed" opponents. (Bears, owlbears, and dragons are considered "unarmed." There's this idea that some weapons are better for fighting other guys with weapons and some are better for hunting beasts.) I'm not surprised that no one in the OSR wants to put the work in. The best version of these rules is in Dark Dungeons, but that's a faithful retroclone.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Or have a pool of 'X' points based on level and stats, maybe, that they can distribute to any targets in range, no to-hit roll needed and that ignores stuff like DR
I like Black Hack 2e's system, which is a compromise between automatic damage and multiple attacks. Fighters have a pool of [level] d6 damage dice, which they split up among any number of targets within range. You make one to-hit roll for each enemy.

The problem I have with the AD&D ability is that it's only useful for fights with a bunch of very weak enemies, and I think the vast majority of players don't want to run fights with 6d10 goblins.

PurpleXVI posted:

Operating on strict cooldowns, to my mind, just ends with people getting locked into "optimal" rotations of power usage. Energy expenditure is more flexible.
It's also much easier to track spending 5 Energy Points to do a shield bash than tracking multiple cooldowns. Especially if this is also a game where you're in the hell of tracking status effects that end at the beginning of someone's turn or the end of someone's next turn.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 23, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Plus if you're using energy points, it's another mechanical lever to pull: abilities that recharge or drain energy, or hamper your max energy pool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
3e monsters weren’t designed assuming fighter types are at maximum efficiency. 3e monsters are designed to fit into fictional ecosystems first and foremost and their challenge rating to the party is a happy side effect. It’s a really weird design ethos that makes the edition’s monster design make a lot more sense when you figure it out.

(Note: it was replaced by modern design-to-a-challenge-for-the-PCs principles around the MM5, maybe a bit before.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I confess, I like my janky old "designed for ecology" monsters more than "designed for a challenge" monsters. I don't care if the Globwitch is a perfect challenge for parties of level 9 to 10 featuring a minimum of one Plywood Elf, if I don't also know how the Globwitch fits into the ecology of the world and what she does when there aren't adventurers around to boil in a big pot for their bones.

3.x lost a ton of that, in my opinion, with their stripped down Monstrous Manual entries.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

I confess, I like my janky old "designed for ecology" monsters more than "designed for a challenge" monsters. I don't care if the Globwitch is a perfect challenge for parties of level 9 to 10 featuring a minimum of one Plywood Elf, if I don't also know how the Globwitch fits into the ecology of the world and what she does when there aren't adventurers around to boil in a big pot for their bones.

3.x lost a ton of that, in my opinion, with their stripped down Monstrous Manual entries.

I do as well, but I'm also a permanent GM, so I read my source books than I actually put into play. Monsters that fit into an ecology are more useful as building blocks in make your own story time than in actual gaming. The "why"s of monster design have taken quite a bit of evolution, and needing more plot hooks than "a wizard tamed them".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly I think the best way to bridge the two approaches to monster design is to lean more heavily into making the monster stat blocks easily customizable and scalable, so a particular monster doesn't need to exist solely to fill a CR niche.

While I generally like the idea of monsters being designed with the fictional ecology they exist within as the driving factor, an important aspect of that philosophy of design (especially in sandbox play) that's often overlooked is that the players should have some ability to gauge in-universe how touch a particular monster is going to be. I think the various iterations of bears in pre-3.x D&D are an example of this principle being applied fairly well: Everybody at the table knows how tough a bear is in real life and, true to that, an AD&D bear is going to gently caress up the poo poo of lower level characters. But things start to become a bit trickier when nonsense fantasy monsters enter the picture, especially when those monsters are deliberately designed to be dumb "Gotcha!" traps on the part of the DM to specifically subvert player expectations in order to kill them.

Basically I think the sort of unleveled sandbox play that is the ideal of a lot of more old-school players falls apart when the players aren't given the means to broadly assess which monsters they'll be able to handle and which ones are going to immediately on-shot them if they get within 100'.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

While I generally like the idea of monsters being designed with the fictional ecology they exist within as the driving factor, an important aspect of that philosophy of design (especially in sandbox play) that's often overlooked is that the players should have some ability to gauge in-universe how touch a particular monster is going to be. I think the various iterations of bears in pre-3.x D&D are an example of this principle being applied fairly well: Everybody at the table knows how tough a bear is in real life and, true to that, an AD&D bear is going to gently caress up the poo poo of lower level characters. But things start to become a bit trickier when nonsense fantasy monsters enter the picture, especially when those monsters are deliberately designed to be dumb "Gotcha!" traps on the part of the DM to specifically subvert player expectations in order to kill them.

I propose the Borf Scale.

If bears are tough predators in the ecology, but not apex predators, it would stand to reason that even tougher predators might hunt and eat them. Thus, the amount of bear skulls outside a given monster's lair indicates how tough it is. It has the advantage of being inherent easy to parse since skulls are scary, so everyone will intuitively grasp that the more skulls, the scarier the monster ahead of them.

Less jokingly, perhaps lovely "gotcha!" monsters should simply not be used. :v:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I propose the Borf Scale.

If bears are tough predators in the ecology, but not apex predators, it would stand to reason that even tougher predators might hunt and eat them. Thus, the amount of bear skulls outside a given monster's lair indicates how tough it is. It has the advantage of being inherent easy to parse since skulls are scary, so everyone will intuitively grasp that the more skulls, the scarier the monster ahead of them.

Less jokingly, perhaps lovely "gotcha!" monsters should simply not be used. :v:

But how will RPGs be able to simulate the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

...although now that I think back on it, that ALSO had a cave lair surrounded by skeletons, so yeah no the Borf Scale checks out :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How do you not have mimics and piercers and other hilarious stuff though?

In all seriousness, we are playing a game and in games sometimes it is necessary to give players OOC information so that they can gauge how their character would react in their own world. I like the idea of dressing the environment appropriately but it's not the only option.

Also if you trick your players, have their NPC allies backstab them, put a lot of traps they don't notice, etc. they will play in a paranoid manner that can grind games down to an excruciating crawl forever.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

In all seriousness, we are playing a game and in games sometimes it is necessary to give players OOC information so that they can gauge how their character would react in their own world. I like the idea of dressing the environment appropriately but it's not the only option.

Also if you trick your players, have their NPC allies backstab them, put a lot of traps they don't notice, etc. they will play in a paranoid manner that can grind games down to an excruciating crawl forever.

Mimics are such classics that any vaguely suspicious chest gets tested, though, on the other hand players aren't going to start tossing rocks at every loving stalactite the GM describes. Then again, my personal rule is that any time there's some sort of "ambush predator" around, there are signs of them. Scattered bones, blood splotches, belongings that weren't shiny or otherwise interesting enough to get dragged back to the creature's lair, etc. anything else is just being a dick GM.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

And that, I think, is why systems like CR or 4e's monster math can still be valuable tools even in the less mechanically rigid ecosystems of old school sandbox play, because they make it easy for the DM to know at a glance just how deadly a particular monster is and communicate that to the party. Because bove a certain point it becomes difficult to tell at a glance just how much more powerful one made up nonsense monster is from another made up nonsense monster...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Mimics are such classics that any vaguely suspicious chest gets tested, though, on the other hand players aren't going to start tossing rocks at every loving stalactite the GM describes. Then again, my personal rule is that any time there's some sort of "ambush predator" around, there are signs of them. Scattered bones, blood splotches, belongings that weren't shiny or otherwise interesting enough to get dragged back to the creature's lair, etc. anything else is just being a dick GM.

The real dick move is to put a chest covered in blood at a corner of the dungeon, have the players trying to check it was a mimic and while it isn't, the real threat is of the cloaker or whatever other camouflaged monster hiding on the ceiling ATOP the chest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've always played mimics as stupid, insofar as they don't understand people beyond imitating things that they think will attract people. They'll turn into a treasure chest or a golden statue while standing in a pile of gnawed bones.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I've always played mimics as stupid, insofar as they don't understand people beyond imitating things that they think will attract people. They'll turn into a treasure chest or a golden statue while standing in a pile of gnawed bones.

Conversely I always tend to play mimics as pretty intelligent, not in the sense that they're super-intelligent ambush predators, but intelligent in the sense that they'll let adventurers bribe them with rations in exchange for dungeon rumours rather than engaging in a battle to the death over the chance to eat someone's hand.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mimics always struck me as a pest species that evolved in a high magic civilization imitating garbage cans and the like that receive a consistent amount of food. You only get the predatory chest mimics after those civilizations fall apart and the garbage becomes scarce.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

One of these days I should really run the nautical adventure I've been kicking around in my head for years that the glass bottles with treasure maps in them that have been washing up on nearby beaches are Mimic eggs laid by an enormous mature Mimic "Ghost Ship" that hauls itself into shore to spawn like a sea turtle. It also handily explains buried treasure chests: intermediate stage in the Mimic lifecycle!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Mimics always struck me as a pest species that evolved in a high magic civilization imitating garbage cans and the like that receive a consistent amount of food. You only get the predatory chest mimics after those civilizations fall apart and the garbage becomes scarce.

Go the magical realm route and introduce the concept of Toilet Mimics.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Trap monsters are also monsters that can simply not be part of your game.

You see a chest? It's trapped! GOTCHA!

You check it for traps? It's a mimic! GOTCHA!

They really just slow down play, and 13th age did a good job getting rid of most of them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

Go the magical realm route and introduce the concept of Toilet Mimics.

i have never poo-ed

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

i have never poo-ed

Extremely suspicious GM: Your rations have not agreed with your bowels. Roll a CON save or suffer from cramps. And yet, you can rid of those if you go to this convenient restroom within the dungeon...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mimics are basically lampshading the absurdity of having so goddamn many dungeons full of chests just lying around. They're a joke monster that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Trap monsters are also monsters that can simply not be part of your game.

You see a chest? It's trapped! GOTCHA!

You check it for traps? It's a mimic! GOTCHA!

They really just slow down play, and 13th age did a good job getting rid of most of them.
To me it seems like the logical conclusion is to just treat them as traps/puzzles and not combat encounters.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mimics might be less of a dick move by the GM if they're generally more sort of annoying rather than dangerous. Take a page from freshwater mussels that use mimickry to spread their larvae and just have Mimics luring adenturers so that they can cover them in, like, rings and piercings and stuff that will be carried out of the dungeon, where they'll eventually detach and settle down to mature into new Mimics, peacefully filter-feeding on lint and lost buttons and paperclips and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2x8ts5STzY

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The mimic is trying to sell you time shares in a resort town that's just more mimics.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

That loving orangutan, bro...

I was in a fate game where we could be any librarian from a work of fiction and ended up going to a literary themed event filled with hundreds of similar people. There was a locked door murder.

I played the Librarian from Discworld...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MuscaDomestica posted:

I was in a fate game where we could be any librarian from a work of fiction and ended up going to a literary themed event filled with hundreds of similar people. There was a locked door murder.

I played the Librarian from Discworld...

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

The mimic is trying to sell you time shares in a resort town that's just more mimics.

There's just an entire secret society of Mimics who are working from the shadows to replace every human-created object with one of their own. Not for any nefarious purpose, mind you, they just really like being our stuff.