Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Deuce Bigalow, cave gigolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Most sports involve physical risk to different levels and I guess as long as everyone involved knows what they're signing up for then I guess that's their decision. The bigger issue with some of these sports is when you get yourself in a bad situation and end up drawing in other people to rescue you.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.
Anyone posted this yet?

Edit: Bit more context now that I'm no longer phone-posting.
This is a classic Outside story of a highly technical cave diving expedition going horribly wrong.

Getoutnow fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 16, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Getoutnow posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

This is a classic Outside story of a highly technical cave diving expedition going horribly wrong.

I don't know if it was in this thread or another one, but there is a highly recommended documentary you can rent on YouTube called Dave's Not Coming Back

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Just started watching 'Finding Michael' on Disney+ basically UK reality star (lol) tries to find his dead brother who died on Everest decades ago
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26880702/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mozi posted:

Most sports involve physical risk to different levels and I guess as long as everyone involved knows what they're signing up for then I guess that's their decision. The bigger issue with some of these sports is when you get yourself in a bad situation and end up drawing in other people to rescue you.

Yeah the central complaint of the everest thread, current and past, is that the dentists and midlevel managers taking a random russian roulette spin on getting HACE/HAPE and dying in the Death Zone in order to check a box labeled "Official Proof I Am Very Brave And Determined" aren't just risking their own lives, they're risking the lives of the Sherpas who annually pioneer the way, setting ladders and fixing ropes, hauling their oxygen tanks up the mountain, and then directly personally assisting their clients up the mountain and back down again, for like $20 a day and they do it because they live in an impoverished country where money like that can't be turned down because it'll feed your whole family for the year if you do it.

Worse is when a cascade of failure happens as in the disastrous 1996 season, climbers dying trying to save other dying climbers, probably the most famous incident of the type you're pointing out.

Few of us actually have a big issue with the experienced climbers who capably climb tall mountains and sometimes die doing the thing they love, hopefully with large life insurance policies to take care of their kids. Like maybe we don't think they're accurately assessing the risk vs. rewards but we're not celebrating anyone's deaths here, we're decrying them and their unnecessariness, sometimes via dark humor.

That accurately assessing risks thing, though. I, personally, think that humans are really bad at this as individuals, especially when they get involved in groups of other individuals eagerly doing the thing. We instinctively assess risk in part based on the behavior of our peers. I'm not sure if someone into scuba diving being asked if they want to try cave diving by some other diving friends is actually giving informed consent when they agree, because they probably aren't able to like, sit down and do some math like an insurance actuary and judge their actual chances of dying and comparing it to not just the potential thrill of this particular dive, but comparatively less risky other thrilling activities they could be doing instead, like skydiving or snake charming or signing up for experimental drug trials or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

So I binged that entire Outlast series somebody mentioned, it's pretty great despite the editing getting ridiculous towards the end. Quality concept, 6/10 execution.

I’ve watched only three episodes, and the editing is already mega sus.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Getoutnow posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

quote:

None of the divers who were with Shaw in Bushman’s Hole think the dive was reckless.

This story has come up in this thread before. It’s a classic. You can watch the dive video on YouTube, narrated by Don. I don’t know why I’m so fascinated by these stories, but boy am I. The video of Yuri Lipski on an uncontrolled descent into the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt is another cautionary tale.

Everest YouTube suggestions are a lot of people doing cool mountain stuff, making climbing Everest look cool. but diving accident suggested videos are other diving accidents that make you wonder why people would ever do this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

theflyingexecutive posted:

It would be pretty funny watching two sherpas partner carry the three hundred pounds of rope you'd need for a death line
Yeah that is too much rope.

How about a corpe retrieval zip line?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Facebook Aunt posted:

C4 is pretty lightweight, yeah?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I enjoy climbing mountains and ski touring and stuff. European alps, no Sherpas involved. Just wondering, at what point does my death become funny? I am a corporate middle manager if that helps

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

knox_harrington posted:

I enjoy climbing mountains and ski touring and stuff. European alps, no Sherpas involved. Just wondering, at what point does my death become funny? I am a corporate middle manager if that helps

That's when it gets funny.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

We know what happens when goons make ziplines, but if the hiker is dead who cares if the slam into the ground at basecamp at terminal velocity

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Dienes posted:

That's when it gets funny.

He's gonna need subordinates to do it for him cause middle managers do nothing :roflolmao:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Colonel Cancer posted:

He's gonna need subordinates to do it for him cause middle managers do nothing :roflolmao:

"They're not sherpas, they are interns!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

orange juche posted:

We know what happens when goons make ziplines, but if the hiker is dead who cares if the slam into the ground at basecamp at terminal velocity

Exactly. A whole new career for zipline goon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll bet you could get those bodies going fast enough to launch them back to their home country.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'll bet you could get those bodies going fast enough to launch them back to their home country.

Put a (heavily reinforced) curve in it at the bottom, angled upward. Then create a large area that looks kinda like a Skeeball thing and take bets on whether you can get a dead tourist hiker into the 100 hole.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Switchback posted:

This story has come up in this thread before. It’s a classic. You can watch the dive video on YouTube, narrated by Don. I don’t know why I’m so fascinated by these stories, but boy am I. The video of Yuri Lipski on an uncontrolled descent into the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt is another cautionary tale.

Everest YouTube suggestions are a lot of people doing cool mountain stuff, making climbing Everest look cool. but diving accident suggested videos are other diving accidents that make you wonder why people would ever do this.

I always like to note Dave Shaw had 332 dives under his belt... in five years. Dude had been on average making a dive every five days for five years and progressively taking greater and greater risks, while also flying planes for a living. He was a junkie.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 20, 2023

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

I ponder this for myself. When I was younger and could qualify as a dirt bag, my death may have been tragic. Now that I've stumbled into a bit of success, mostly because of the way society is structured, my death would be deridable. Extravagant hobby that kills those that unjustly benefit from exploitation. Seems fair to me.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Epitope posted:

I ponder this for myself. When I was younger and could qualify as a dirt bag, my death may have been tragic. Now that I've stumbled into a bit of success, mostly because of the way society is structured, my death would be deridable. Extravagant hobby that kills those that unjustly benefit from exploitation. Seems fair to me.

It's not the person, it's the scenario that the person willingly put themselves into. It's just that some dirtbag with his hobo bindle dying up on a mountain somewhere doesn't typically make the national/international news.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A guy with a hobo bindle on Everest actually became a folk hero.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

knox_harrington posted:

At the same point Caro's death would have been funny when he decided to wander into an active war zone to have IRL sniper battles.

E: I enjoy mountain biking and a bit of backcountry skiing, camping and hunting in heavy grizzly territory so it's not like I don't understand the appeal for humans to take stupid risks*.

*BuT iT's SaFe i KnOw WhAt i'M DoInG!

VV: Of course. Where would we be if we didn't make fun of stupid people encountering reality?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 20, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can still make fun of Caro for ending up in a prison in Syria or wherever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
IMO it's not that it's risky, it's honestly a bit sad when someone dies doing something cool but risky that they loved. Everest just is a trendy thing for rich assholes that puts a lot of locals in danger and creates a mess on the mountain.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

What would happen to the Everest industry if some ridiculously rich dude showed up and paid all the Sherpa huge salaries far beyond anything they could make climbing to not climb and live safe lives? I wonder what percentage do it strictly out of economic need and how many do it because they want to. I'd like to see the reaction of the fucks who run the mountaineering companies and pay them poo poo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think you'd just get a glut of unseasoned scab Sherpas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it would be peak comedy gold if you took a sign saying "comedy gold" to the peak

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

What would happen to the Everest industry if some ridiculously rich dude showed up and paid all the Sherpa huge salaries far beyond anything they could make climbing to not climb and live safe lives? I wonder what percentage do it strictly out of economic need and how many do it because they want to. I'd like to see the reaction of the fucks who run the mountaineering companies and pay them poo poo.

People who are ridiculously rich don't care about other people's lives though?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I think you'll find they care very much about other people's lives.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Have they ever considered just cutting the peak of Everest off and putting it in a place where people won't need to die to get there. Maybe just in a park in a city somewhere or some such.

That will mean instead of a dangerous climb to get there you can just catch a bus or what not.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

dr_rat posted:

Have they ever considered just cutting the peak of Everest off and putting it in a place where people won't need to die to get there. Maybe just in a park in a city somewhere or some such.

That will mean instead of a dangerous climb to get there you can just catch a bus or what not.

Nah, they'd just commercialize it turn the sacred mountain into a poo poo strewn monument to petty fucks who think underpaying service staff to visit a rock makes them special.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

it would be peak comedy gold if you took a sign saying "comedy gold" to the peak

:yeah:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Alan Smithee posted:

I see what u did there

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Anybody really interested in cave diving should buy the book "The Darkness Beckons" about the history of cave diving from the late 1800s into the 20th century. Most of it about the British, because they were the people who used to do lunatic poo poo then write all about it for future historians to read, but other cultures too.

These are from the last page but after seeing it I knew I had to have this book. I found a number of copies at https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=the%20darkness%20beckons%20martyn%20farr&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-TopNavISS-_-Results&ds=20 just don't try to buy the cheapest hardcover cause that's already coming to me ($35!)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Captain Toasted posted:

These are from the last page but after seeing it I knew I had to have this book. I found a number of copies at https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=the%20darkness%20beckons%20martyn%20farr&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-TopNavISS-_-Results&ds=20 just don't try to buy the cheapest hardcover cause that's already coming to me ($35!)

There was an updated UK version that came out in 2017, according to WorldCat. Not familiar enough with UK specific vendors to find copies.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Back in 2007 I spent a few months doing some volunteer conservation work in the Yucutan, which involved a lot of scuba diving. Our instructor was a cave diver, so naturally he also got us cavern diver certified. That involved spending a couple of days at one of the many cenotes dotted around the Yucutan, Dos Ojos. Cavern diving is technically different and "safer" than cave diving, the difference being this:

Our instructor was a bit of a crazy guy, and on the last cavern dive he took us on he decided to take us deeper into the cave on an actual cave dive instead. We ended up being single file in this cave only about three times as wide and high as a person laying horizontal, kicking up loads of dust and fine particles and not being able to see poo poo. We surfaced in this cavern with just a tiny slice of natural light at the top which was completely filled with nesting bats. Our instructor had the biggest poo poo-eating grin on his face when he told us we just did a cave dive. After that and we dived back through the cave, at the end of it he got us all to turn off our lights and just floated there in the pitch black underwater. It was absolutely surreal.

The whole cavern and cave diving experience was one of the best things I've ever done and even 16 years later I still think about it. I haven't gone cave diving since but that's probably a good thing tbf. Anyway here are a few 2007-era digital camera pics of it:

This was the entrance of the cenote where we started the dive.

The cave just disappears into the darkness.

The water in the cavern was so crystal clear most of the time it was like you were just floating in the air.

This sign isn't the exact same one since I couldn't find a pic myself of the one at Dos Ojos, but it looked the same as this one. We swam up to it and it was incredibly eerie, the current at the point where this sign was was super strong, like it was trying to pull us further into the cave. It really was like darkness beckoning you in a way. Especially when we spent a whole day pre-cavern diving basically being told all the different ways other people have died doing it.

Anyway I guess this is an odd thread to put this in but since there was chat about it I thought I might as well

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Back in 2007 I spent a few months doing some volunteer conservation work in the Yucutan, which involved a lot of scuba diving. Our instructor was a cave diver, so naturally he also got us cavern diver certified. That involved spending a couple of days at one of the many cenotes dotted around the Yucutan, Dos Ojos. Cavern diving is technically different and "safer" than cave diving, the difference being this:

Our instructor was a bit of a crazy guy, and on the last cavern dive he took us on he decided to take us deeper into the cave on an actual cave dive instead. We ended up being single file in this cave only about three times as wide and high as a person laying horizontal, kicking up loads of dust and fine particles and not being able to see poo poo. We surfaced in this cavern with just a tiny slice of natural light at the top which was completely filled with nesting bats. Our instructor had the biggest poo poo-eating grin on his face when he told us we just did a cave dive. After that and we dived back through the cave, at the end of it he got us all to turn off our lights and just floated there in the pitch black underwater. It was absolutely surreal.

The whole cavern and cave diving experience was one of the best things I've ever done and even 16 years later I still think about it. I haven't gone cave diving since but that's probably a good thing tbf. Anyway here are a few 2007-era digital camera pics of it:

The water in the cavern was so crystal clear most of the time it was like you were just floating in the air.

This sign isn't the exact same one since I couldn't find a pic myself of the one at Dos Ojos, but it looked the same as this one. We swam up to it and it was incredibly eerie, the current at the point where this sign was was super strong, like it was trying to pull us further into the cave. It really was like darkness beckoning you in a way. Especially when we spent a whole day pre-cavern diving basically being told all the different ways other people have died doing it.

Anyway I guess this is an odd thread to put this in but since there was chat about it I thought I might as well

This is cool as gently caress and its not that odd, we're all waiting on climbing season for rich idiots to Darwin themselves out of existence trying to climb a mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Aphex- posted:

It’s like a cross of Goatse + Honey I shrunk The kids + abyss. I’m good on that