Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Xaris posted:

which is worse: citi, capitalone, or chase

Capital Chiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nonsense posted:

Badgers burrowing below railway tracks have wreaked havoc on train services in the Netherlands, causing cancellations and line closures.

Trains in the north and south of the country have been affected, with some services halted for at least a week.

The line between Den Bosch and Boxtel in the south was closed on Tuesday after the mammals dug under the tracks.

Officials said it was not clear how long the problem would continue as badgers were a protected species.

the train unions should adopt the badger as their mascot

Canned Sunshine has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Mar 22, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lol Switzerland couldn't even save their Credit Suisse with their nazi gold.

Economy looking great.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Nonsense posted:

Badgers burrowing below railway tracks have wreaked havoc on train services in the Netherlands, causing cancellations and line closures.

Trains in the north and south of the country have been affected, with some services halted for at least a week.

The line between Den Bosch and Boxtel in the south was closed on Tuesday after the mammals dug under the tracks.

Officials said it was not clear how long the problem would continue as badgers were a protected species.

low hanging fruit joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
HONEY BADGER DONT CARE

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36UNSoJenI

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Yeah I wouldn't touch wild mushrooms unless I was a mycologist.

It's a self correcting problem though.

lol, lmao

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

Al CapOne

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Acelerion posted:

What if we just made it illegal for people to withdraw their money

ahh, the lebanon solution.

where people are literally robbing banks of their own money because withdrawals have been halted for years, lol

e: Lmao it keeps being worse every time i look
https://apnews.com/article/financial-services-lebanon-business-8ca0f73931d60e36c1dd7d40e77c25de

quote:

Lebanon’s battered commercial banks on Tuesday closed their doors to customers in protest of a recent court ruling that forced one of the country’s largest banks to pay out two of its depositors their trapped savings in cash.

The Association of Banks in Lebanon, which lobbies for the banks, released a statement calling the action an “open-ended strike” and criticized the court ruling, claiming it was detrimental to all depositors, because the banks cannot afford to pay out everyone else’s savings in full.

The demise of the banks is part of Lebanon’s economic meltdown and unprecedented financial crisis that erupted in 2019 following years of corruption and mismanagement by the country’s rulers. Over three quarters of Lebanon’s population of 6 million has been plunged into poverty, and the Lebanese pound lost about 97% of its value against the dollar.

Harik has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Mar 22, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is why its sensible and smart to just invest all your money in internet spaceships instead of the bank.

I never played EVE but I understand that in-game ships have some RMT value. Just extrapolate that to treasuries or something, somehow.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Xaris posted:

which is worse: citi, capitalone, or chase

JP Morgan is a fortress

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

UK inflation coming in hotter than projected

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1638435402829709313

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Now hear this. Now hear this. Abandon ship! Abandon ship! Airstrip One is sinking!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol Switzerland couldn't even save their Credit Suisse with their nazi gold.

Economy looking great.

Nationalization was their plan B if the UBS deal catastrophically fell apart. The Swiss government / regulators are very proud of themselves that they were able to come to a "private" solution.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the fundamentals of the uk economy are strong

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

the fundamentals of the uk economy are strong

They have a great balance sheet.

Anyone want to buy London Bridge? Sell it to you for a tenner guv'nor.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Goon project annex the uk

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone who has any kind of real hobby has probably been endlessly assaulted by well-meaning by friends and family recommending ways to monetize it. Every year people we know will tell us that we should sell produce from our garden at the farmer's market, or that we should make a gardening YouTube channel, or why do we put so much effort into it if we're not making money from it? I got into a small argument with a family member when I told him I was scaling back/more or less abandoning my fairly profitable 3d printing side gig because I wanted it to just be a hobby.

My MIL told me I should try and make money selling my generic-rear end banana bread.

It's not even something I'm especially good at!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the food and non-alcoholic drink component of UK CPI has steadily continued to rise and is now at a 45-year high at 18.2%

https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1638473504994598912

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

StealthArcher posted:

Goon project annex the uk

Yes if it's annexed by Ireland or France or Netherlands or any other Northern European country, no if it's perfidious Yankeedom. I like having free SSRIs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chad Sexington posted:

My MIL told me I should try and make money selling my generic-rear end banana bread.

Have you considered a roadside lemonade stand for a nickel a glass?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i thought people were saying schwab was possibly at risk too

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

i think its a compliment from someone who has only every known american capitalism and where everyone worships money

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In the glorious communist utopia of the future you shall make your delicious banana bread for all!

In 14 hour shifts at the people's bread factory, 7 days a week. The masses hunger citizen.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
the real money is in owning the real estate on which the bread is made have you considered that side of your hobby or are you a lazy piece of poo poo failure?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

the food and non-alcoholic drink component of UK CPI has steadily continued to rise and is now at a 45-year high at 18.2%

https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1638473504994598912

“Can't rebuild the economy by condemning millions to poverty.”

All we can do is try, try again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

DancingShade posted:

This is why its sensible and smart to just invest all your money in internet spaceships instead of the bank.

I never played EVE but I understand that in-game ships have some RMT value. Just extrapolate that to treasuries or something, somehow.

Goons could have bought ccp with recruitment scams if they could convert spaceships to treasuries.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lol this reminds me that there's been years of rumors that counterfeit has gotten into the gold supply on the "these bars are gold because they're held in a megabank" level. and of course nobody is going to do any due diligence on it because finding out x% of the world gold reserve doesn't actually exist is catastrophic.

You really are just trading IOUs for 1 bar of "gold". They ship the poo poo around under incredible amounts of security without ever checking that what they're shipping out is actually real. It must be real because it came from another mega gold-holder, ergo it's gold.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Harik posted:

lol this reminds me that there's been years of rumors that counterfeit has gotten into the gold supply on the "these bars are gold because they're held in a megabank" level. and of course nobody is going to do any due diligence on it because finding out x% of the world gold reserve doesn't actually exist is catastrophic.

You really are just trading IOUs for 1 bar of "gold". They ship the poo poo around under incredible amounts of security without ever checking that what they're shipping out is actually real. It must be real because it came from another mega gold-holder, ergo it's gold.

skilled counterfeiters have discovered that you can wrap a core of tungsten with a good layer of gold and make coins and bars that pass all tests and can't be detected unless you try and melt it down

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

I'm reminded of a decade or two back when Germany decided to start repatriating its gold from Britain to store in their own vaults and Britain could somehow only repatriate a small amount every year because they "had to recast it and that takes time you see". I'm certain it wasn't because they were scrambling to find actual real physical gold to send back because the London vaults were largely empty. Nah, it just takes years and years to cast a few tons of gold and ship them within Europe. I don't remember if Germany got all its gold back. Frankly I didn't care just found the whole thing funny.

Those IOUs for precious metals are just IOUs and have as much value. But don't tell anyone otherwise a whole lot of cash might vanish overnight and whoops.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 12:09 on Mar 22, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

WrasslorMonkey posted:

“Can't rebuild the economy by condemning millions to poverty.”

All we can do is try, try again.

I was gonna say, did the UK not learn loving anything from the USA?

We're not just making people poor, we're removing the bottom 75% of society from the economy altogether baby. Can't have a bad economy if the poors aren't in it and you socialize being rich permanently with no risk.

We're literally taking capitalism, putting it into a blender, and pouring it into a feudalism mold. poo poo owns.

Taima has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Mar 22, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
food inflation of 18.2% :psyduck:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ooohhh noooo my greased kippers and fried pig dicks are more expensive! my jolly tarts and coddled nubbins! what will i moistly gum with my loose rotten teeth now??

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
vile island

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FistEnergy posted:

food inflation of 18.2% :psyduck:

Only 18.2% dude? I tracked my food bills and it's more like 50%. I plead with the god of number that food only rises 18.2%, that is some pie in the sky positive thinking fairy world poo poo for food to ONLY rise 18.2%

You show me a person whose food bills only raised 18% and I'll show you someone who has actively been eating shittier food, whether they know it or not.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fits my needs posted:

i thought people were saying schwab was possibly at risk too

People changed their minds. You have to remember that this is all happening off the basis of people just going off their whims. It's so loving stupid.

This isn't very significant internationally but it's notable that Iceland have raised interest rates by 100bps.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the british government have been predicting an inflation rate of 2.9% by the end of the year

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
gonna need a lot of coding boot camps to help lift Britains out of this mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

there’s still time for true economic collapse in Q3/Q4 to even out that inflation number!