Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's going to be +25bps because that's the "boring" option that allows talking heads to (nonsensically) call the pivot and calm markets without actually stopping the march toward a 5% or greater terminal rate.

A true pivot means we're going off the cliff right now and everyone knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

A true pivot means we're going off the cliff right now and everyone knows it.

They can't even fake the pivot either because pausing now will skyrocket inflation and undo the meager efforts they've done in the past year+.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the :lol:s

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the :lol:s

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

very excited to watch The Assassination of the US Economy by the Coward Jerome Powell

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

credit pisse will save the economy

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

mine: thinking 0.

IE: no changes at all. They can't afford to raise them anymore ("We must save the banks!") and they can't afford to lower them ("We have to drain money to prevent inflation!"). They feel like they are against the wall until poo poo breaks (even more).

Casey Finnigan posted:

25 bps so they don't look like they're spineless and can pretend like the banking system is actually stable

I think they split the difference. 12.5 bps :q:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

mine: thinking 0.

IE: no changes at all. They can't afford to raise them anymore ("We must save the banks!") and they can't afford to lower them ("We have to drain money to prevent inflation!"). They feel like they are against the wall until poo poo breaks (even more).

Jerome Powell will bathe in the blood of minimum wage workers while babbling about inflation targets.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If interest rates are supposed to be ahead of inflation then we need another 250bps/2.5% to hit their obviously incorrect figures or another 1500bps/15% to get somewhere close to real inflation

Looking forward to the rate pause

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
they're gonna raise it by .25 but their keyboard is low battery so they miss the . and raise it 25 full points so the new rate will be 29.5%

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

they're gonna raise it by .25 but their keyboard is low battery so they miss the . and raise it 25 full points so the new rate will be 29.5%

this would be terrible and yet entertaining because they would instantly crash the economy

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

They can't even fake the pivot either because pausing now will skyrocket inflation and undo the meager efforts they've done in the past year+.

Honestly, since we are operating under a durable and systemic labor shortage in the first place, a "high inflation" environment driven by low interest rates is probably preferable for workers to one where they are using demand destruction primarily to put downward pressure on wages

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I think the chance of 0.5% is higher than 0, especially given Powell's comments just before the banking crisis kicked off.

If I had to bet, I'd bet 0.25%... but I think the markets may be off on this one, partially because the flight to safety from the banking crisis drove down rates, making it kind of a chicken-and-egg thing divorced from jpow's whims.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
They will -.25% for maximum fun

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Jpow is an Aquarius and his horoscope included this tidbit: "The hours between 12:00pm and 2:00 pm are auspicious for you."

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The Fed should meet like the papal conclave, and have various colors of smoke emerge from a chimney for different rate increases

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/jesserpound/status/1638575680743940096

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hey quick q... have they tried taxing the rich?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they did that once and rich people didnt like it so now we're here. when you think about it taxing the rich got us in this mess. better not do it again.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

oh heavens no, that's ludicrous

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

are you a loving STUPID? I have no time for unserious thinkers in this goddamn thread!

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

SKULL.GIF posted:

For anyone curious, this link has the current market odds of what Jerome will do in 2 hours: https://www.investing.com/central-banks/fed-rate-monitor

As of this post, 87% chance of 25bps, 13% chance of pause.

I agree with the market, there is an 87% chance of a 25 bps increase.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Morbus posted:

Honestly, since we are operating under a durable and systemic labor shortage in the first place, a "high inflation" environment driven by low interest rates is probably preferable for workers to one where they are using demand destruction primarily to put downward pressure on wages

I don't think this would happen anymore. My brother has been job seeking for over a year and in the past few months, the job offers wage salary has been smaller and smaller compared to last year.

The great resignation period is over, you cannot just quit and find a higher paying job that easily anymore

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

CITIZEN!
REPORT FOR COMPULSORY REEDUCATION!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

indeed is laying off 15% of the company

indeed they do (not need their employees)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also wages weren't ever increasing enough to outpace inflation for more than brief periods here and there, so I don't think a persistent inflationary environment would really be good for most workers over the long run. Obviously it's laughable to suggest the Fed is basing their rate hikes on what's good for workers, but just running forward at a persistent 5-6% would probably be disastrous.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
1bps

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

burn it down Jay

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

love dotcom 2.0

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

indeed sucks rear end anyways

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Paradoxish posted:

Also wages weren't ever increasing enough to outpace inflation for more than brief periods here and there, so I don't think a persistent inflationary environment would really be good for most workers over the long run. Obviously it's laughable to suggest the Fed is basing their rate hikes on what's good for workers, but just running forward at a persistent 5-6% would probably be disastrous.

i had a single raise that basically put me on track to maintain with inflation for about 2-3 years and lucked out tremendously.

so long as i dont get fired

ahh...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
no one has any idea what to do lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

companies will push inflation to the brink without realizing it and utterly collapse demand with record high interest rates which makes debt impossible to get

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
A rate pause is the quiet way of saying "we're hosed" so that's what I'm rooting for

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

NeonPunk posted:

I don't think this would happen anymore. My brother has been job seeking for over a year and in the past few months, the job offers wage salary has been smaller and smaller compared to last year.

The great resignation period is over, you cannot just quit and find a higher paying job that easily anymore

that's okay. if they don't pay enough then maybe the job wasnt that important anyway.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I do

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

what do

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Nothing that the idiots want to do that's for sure.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Millennials grew up during a home price lull? Are they just making poo poo up now? The oldest millennials were in their late twenties when the 2007 real estate bubble popped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The next 12 months is going to be capital flight of the regional banks into the large "too big to fail" banks with the fed panicking about whether or not to push the "cripple the poor" button.

Yellen doomed financial headlines for the next year by saying "LOL no only the big banks get unlimited insurance".

It's like these motherfuckers lack object permanence.