Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

bedpan posted:

skilled counterfeiters have discovered that you can wrap a core of tungsten with a good layer of gold and make coins and bars that pass all tests and can't be detected unless you try and melt it down
You'd have to throw some lead in there to balance it out or it'd be obvious by weight/volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I'm reminded of a decade or two back when Germany decided to start repatriating its gold from Britain to store in their own vaults and Britain could somehow only repatriate a small amount every year because they "had to recast it and that takes time you see". I'm certain it wasn't because they were scrambling to find actual real physical gold to send back because the London vaults were largely empty. Nah, it just takes years and years to cast a few tons of gold and ship them within Europe. I don't remember if Germany got all its gold back. Frankly I didn't care just found the whole thing funny.

Those IOUs for precious metals are just IOUs and have as much value. But don't tell anyone otherwise a whole lot of cash might vanish overnight and whoops.

there was a dude some years back who found a way into the london vaults through underground maintenance and sewage tunnels

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the evidence for price-driven inflation just keeps piling up

https://twitter.com/heimbergecon/status/1638505499904598016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone who has any kind of real hobby has probably been endlessly assaulted by well-meaning by friends and family recommending ways to monetize it. Every year people we know will tell us that we should sell produce from our garden at the farmer's market, or that we should make a gardening YouTube channel, or why do we put so much effort into it if we're not making money from it? I got into a small argument with a family member when I told him I was scaling back/more or less abandoning my fairly profitable 3d printing side gig because I wanted it to just be a hobby.
lol this makes me so mad. I'll whip up friends or family a fairly extensive breakfast and they'll tell me I should be a line cook to put my skills to use. no gently caress you

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Taima posted:

Only 18.2% dude? I tracked my food bills and it's more like 50%. I plead with the god of number that food only rises 18.2%, that is some pie in the sky positive thinking fairy world poo poo for food to ONLY rise 18.2%

You show me a person whose food bills only raised 18% and I'll show you someone who has actively been eating shittier food, whether they know it or not.

18.2% is an economist number, so by definition out of touch with the real world. I can see it with my eyes that things that used to be 5$ are now 7-8$ and this is common. 18.2% is laughable.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WrasslorMonkey posted:

“Can't rebuild the economy by condemning millions to poverty.”

All we can do is try, try again.

"The Economy" = The City of London.

Taima posted:

We're literally taking capitalism, putting it into a blender, and pouring it into a feudalism mold. poo poo owns.

Again, feudalism doesn't work without social relations. Capitalism requires money to distributed through transactional relationships for it to work. Billionaires should have to do required reading on these sorts of things before the torch and pitchfork phase of the Cool Zone kicks in.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:50 on Mar 22, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Taima posted:

Only 18.2% dude? I tracked my food bills and it's more like 50%. I plead with the god of number that food only rises 18.2%, that is some pie in the sky positive thinking fairy world poo poo for food to ONLY rise 18.2%

You show me a person whose food bills only raised 18% and I'll show you someone who has actively been eating shittier food, whether they know it or not.

Yeah I've said the same thing in the US where the food inflation is being tracked as lower. Oh yeah bread is 50% more expensive and rice and the meats are like 20-30% more, keep tracking inflation at like 10% or something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1638501931617251335?t=zQOUlRz-BvrPN94ngWeBHw&s=19

🤔
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1638506084812877826?t=yGxpl_Nz3MCqUrHgr_xw9A&s=19

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

incredible stat

https://twitter.com/SamiRamadani1/status/1638475263024459776

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

zetamind2000 posted:

#1: that's number
#2: that's number

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone who has any kind of real hobby has probably been endlessly assaulted by well-meaning by friends and family recommending ways to monetize it. Every year people we know will tell us that we should sell produce from our garden at the farmer's market, or that we should make a gardening YouTube channel, or why do we put so much effort into it if we're not making money from it? I got into a small argument with a family member when I told him I was scaling back/more or less abandoning my fairly profitable 3d printing side gig because I wanted it to just be a hobby.

christ this is the loving worst. I used to hang out with photography folks but it's 100% loving grindset hustle poisoned since like 2015

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I want to talk about the composition of this picture of a horse turd, can you shut the gently caress up about monetizing my instagram for a god damned second

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1638511845756502018?s=20

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

alarumklok posted:

christ this is the loving worst. I used to hang out with photography folks but it's 100% loving grindset hustle poisoned since like 2015

i like how a pro journalist in china bought a $10000+ Zeiss lens and then admit not using it once because it was simply too impractical

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

something deeply amusing that low taxes leading to reckless money printing is bringing down the world economy

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thank god wage inflation is finally under control.

FistEnergy posted:

food inflation of 18.2% :psyduck:

That just means bigger fish and chips, innit?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Can't believe Jpow hasn't shifted his meeting to before the market opens.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

eXXon posted:

Thank god wage inflation is finally under control.

now we can start drawing down all those savings everyone was sitting on and finally fix the economy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Spoondick posted:

now we can start drawing down all those savings everyone was sitting on and finally fix the economy

the what

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

wages going down inflation rising everything is good now

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DancingShade posted:

They have a great balance sheet.

Anyone want to buy London Bridge? Sell it to you for a tenner guv'nor.

Someone did in the 70s and moved it to Arizona.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

thank god the landlords are doing okay

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I guess the good ole days may be coming back to the old sod with those food prices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaS0EIqESc4

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

millions of gammons cheering on the return of white dog poop

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

eXXon posted:

That just means bigger fish and chips, innit?

The Farming & Rural Affairs Minister made a big deal of telling everyone "sure, tomatoes & lettuce & all the good vegetables cost lots, but you can just buy turnips", while at the same time the nation's largest turnip farmer, who is based in her constituency, came out & said that he'd had to quit the turnip farming game because supermarkets are forcing the prices so low that it's no longer affordable to grow them. Genius economic system.

People probably need to pay more for food so that farmers can actually afford to grow things. Offset this by reducing how much they spend on rent for example. Reduce commuting costs by copying Luxembourg and just having free public transport. Whatever. None of this will happen because we're absolutely incapable of considering an alternative to capitalism, even as it shits itself horrendously, causing massive damage to millions AGAIN

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Mar 22, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1638212560976576519?s=20

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

born in 84 and my house is worth double what i paid for it in 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

born in 84 and I have a negative net worth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There's been a house price boom since 1990 though? What is this nonsense? (No i will not click the link)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Gen Z members born rich stay rich the same way their parents did

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

i say swears online posted:

the hvac froze and then leaked in to the living room loving up the drywall in the ceiling

was quoted $7k+ to replace the whole system

the previous owner didn't mention the foundation problems that i had to have fixed and now i need to adjust doors and windows and re-mud finishings

at least my doors shut now

BEING A HOME OWNER IS GREAT

Floor is lava has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Mar 22, 2023

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

i say swears online posted:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah I've said the same thing in the US where the food inflation is being tracked as lower. Oh yeah bread is 50% more expensive and rice and the meats are like 20-30% more, keep tracking inflation at like 10% or something.

True, but the imputed rent value of my home hasn't gone up at all, at least that's something.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Floor is lava posted:

BEING A HOME INVESTOR IS GREAT

ftfy

edit: to clarify i just get really annoyed at people (not you, OP) who keep referring to homes as "investments" when i really just want to stabilize my dumb life so i can do hobbies and go to work without rent increases dangling like the sword of damacles over my head. all of this poo poo is too expensive.

19 o'clock has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Mar 22, 2023

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

do 50bps you loving pussy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's very cool the apartment I live in is a "luxury apartment" that doesn't even have a real vent exhaust over the stove and instead just blows straight up onto the cabinets and to the ceiling. Greasy cabinets and a grease stain on the ceiling. $2200\mo for this poo poo lol.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I will make the bold prediction that life expectancy and wages are the only numbers that are down at the end of the day

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Woke Mind Virus posted:

do 500bps you loving pussy

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

fits my needs posted:

i thought people were saying schwab was possibly at risk too

There are fits and stops of people getting very concerned about any financial institutions that has significant bond holdings as part of their assets. I don't know if Schwab is going to be immune to more panic fits in terms of stock share price, but people seem to have calmed down about them for now.

Schwab really isn't in the same situation as First Republic or SVB or Signature, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Woke Mind Virus posted:

do 50bps you loving pussy

edit:

Mirthless posted:

Woke Mind Virus posted:

do 500bps you loving pussy

:hmmyes: