Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i think the idea going forward is that rates still go up for everything but now banks get to refinance all their bonds at the higher rates

if you put this all into a spreadsheet does this just undo all of the previous hikes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Shear Modulus posted:

i think the idea going forward is that rates still go up for everything but now banks get to refinance all their bonds at the higher rates

There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah goldman already announced they were preparing to on monday

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

china has aircraft carrier killer missiles

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

webcams for christ posted:

yeah goldman already announced they were preparing to on monday

I'm behind sorry op but I hope they don't get it back

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

net work error posted:

I'm behind sorry op but I hope they don't get it back

Matt Levine on their prospects yesterday: "The market odds on that bet are between 20-to-1 and 50-to-1, so a long shot but not utterly hopeless."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Woke Mind Virus posted:

if you put this all into a spreadsheet does this just undo all of the previous hikes lol

essentially yes but for banks only. people and productive businesses still get hosed. which makes sense since those are the only parts of the economy that were supposed to go into recession

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shear Modulus posted:

essentially yes but for banks only. people and productive businesses still get hosed. which makes sense since those are the only parts of the economy that were supposed to go into recession

Yep and it would end the liquidity drain that needs to happen.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
lol Jay is full of poo poo, so rate are up? down? who knows!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1638610998939746306

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

money faucet will be turned on next time around, in other words

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol jay wiped out bitcoins gains today

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i think they should try raising taxes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Oglethorpe posted:

wiped out jesus it recovered from like 17k

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

Lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The point of this whole exercise was to kneecap the productive economy so that unproductive rent-extracting capital could come in and steal as much as they needed to get their future projected rent income back to where they wanted it. that some banks accidentally got caught in the crossfire was a freak accident

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Mar 22, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Matt Levine on their prospects yesterday: "The market odds on that bet are between 20-to-1 and 50-to-1, so a long shot but not utterly hopeless."

so basically even though it literally says in the bond terms that this was a possibility they're hoping they have enough white shoe lawyers to make a country back down?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

anime was right posted:

wiped out jesus it recovered from like 17k

as mentioned previously in the thread, BTC continues to rally despite net outflows from crypto assets for 3 consecutive weeks.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

so basically even though it literally says in the bond terms that this was a possibility they're hoping they have enough white shoe lawyers to make a country back down?

not quite back down, but offer some sort of non-zero consolation prize in a settlement. more from his column:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

as mentioned previously in the thread, BTC continues to rally despite net outflows from crypto assets for 3 consecutive weeks.

Untethered

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Still feels dumb as hell that the fed doesn’t wait to see the effects of all these rate increases before making the next decision. We’re just now entering into the job loss phase that they’ve been prodding at and it’ll almost certainly be worse than intended bc those assholes kept jacking up rates since the entire economy didn’t transition to loving over workers quickly enough

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Barrel Cactaur posted:

go back to D&D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Still feels dumb as hell that the fed doesn’t wait to see the effects of all these rate increases before making the next decision. We’re just now entering into the job loss phase that they’ve been prodding at and it’ll almost certainly be worse than intended bc those assholes kept jacking up rates since the entire economy didn’t transition to loving over workers quickly enough

It is a common thought that in this new modern era that fed rate hike effects are seen with in 3-4 months.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmao

the world is not an RTS

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

The point of this whole exercise was to kneecap the productive economy so that unproductive rent-extracting capital could come in and steal as much as they needed to get their future projected rent income back to where they wanted it. that some banks accidentally got caught in the crossfire was a freak accident

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

go back to D&D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Surprisingly dnd don't have a thread for this and I hate banks too much to write a good op.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lmao

the world is not an RTS

Either everyone is allowed to be delusional or no one is. China can't just press an invade Taiwan button, it takes enough time and prep that everyone is basically fighting with near perfect information all the time. The only x factor is subs and missile stocks and china has not indicated an enormous advantage in either. No one is going to one cool trick their way through this it's going to end up in a stalemate while they fence with air and surface launched cruise missiles and anti aircraft systems.

Barrel Cactaur has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Mar 22, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Surprisingly dnd don't have a thread for this and I hate banks too much to write a good op.

very surprising

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

I wonder if there are there any US industrial capitalists around with any sway left who will get pissed about this.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

china has aircraft carrier killer missiles

Their range is less than the range of the aircraft on the carrier. If the US really wants to do a dumb thing like go to war with China, the answer is just to sink every ship that goes into their ports with subs and wait a few months. The infrastructure for moving poo poo into and out of China is pretty much "ports, ports, and ports".

That being said, I have met some breathtakingly stupid naval officers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Powell is desperately trying to appear hawkish. The dovish statement didn't help.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

wow according to the graph it's down zero percent

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Barrel Cactaur posted:

well the official stance of our glorious thread ik is that you shouldnt go to the BFC thread

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The rich are getting upset so we’ll give them more money, no strings attached

That should help inflation

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Powell is desperately trying to appear hawkish. The dovish statement didn't help.

I dunno it seems pretty measured to me. the SPX did a round trip from the rate announcement through this presser though:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Powell admitting there was contagion and a broader banking crisis is funny.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Still feels dumb as hell that the fed doesn’t wait to see the effects of all these rate increases before making the next decision.

what are you talking about? the banks went "yuck" so now it's high time to swing it into reverse.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I dunno it seems pretty measured to me. the SPX did a round trip from the rate announcement through this presser though:

this guy gets off on making number go up and down while he talks

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Woke Mind Virus posted:

this guy gets off on making number go up and down while he talks

literally the point of these pressers

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PostNouveau posted:

My experts have assured me this will create a new type of economic bubble that will never burst.

Quantum bubble, caused by doing QEQT simultaneously. Can't spell burstable without stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Barrel Cactaur posted:

lol