Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
terminator resistance isnt a horror game but its really good and people should play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

terminator resistance isnt a horror game but its really good and people should play it

It is by no means really good.

Good atmosphere, yes. But it plays like poo poo.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
New dark descent trailer with gameplay https://youtu.be/YilVs3-B42k

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

New dark descent trailer with gameplay https://youtu.be/YilVs3-B42k

I'm getting a bit of a 'we made Republic Commando into a top-down RPG' vibe.

e: okay I have a strong suspicion there isn't much game there. This is going to be a Fireteam style 'play through once for the story and a reasonably fun experience and then never touch again' thing.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 21, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I do recall the older Terminator FPS(s? I think there were two good ones) being pretty good and atmospheric, Future Shock I think was the one I liked the most.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alchenar posted:

I'm getting a bit of a 'we made Republic Commando into a top-down RPG' vibe.

e: okay I have a strong suspicion there isn't much game there. This is going to be a Fireteam style 'play through once for the story and a reasonably fun experience and then never touch again' thing.
We have very different opinions of fireteam.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

McGann posted:

I do recall the older Terminator FPS(s? I think there were two good ones) being pretty good and atmospheric, Future Shock I think was the one I liked the most.

There’s also some more obscure early ones but the games you’re thinking of are Future Shock and its sequel Skynet. I thought Skynet was regarded as being better but I’ve only played the demo of Future Shock and that was close to a quarter century ago.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Payndz posted:

Still, better than loss.xno.

I was going to make the exact same joke.

MacheteZombie posted:

personally I like all the stupid poo poo that makes up the alien verse
I got you, fam

Space Jam posted:

Gauging interest here. I’ve been thinking about hosting an AvP 2 multiplayer night. If you don’t have the game I could provide it… perfectly legally. I should still have both install discs in storage. Yay or Nay?

I’d be down, but I think we might have more success with AvPClassic or AvP2010.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, since they’re both on sale on Steam I will buy a copy of either game (your choice) for the next five people who speak up and/or PM me. You aren’t even obligated to play it (although I’d really prefer if you did, I’d like to buy the game for people who are going to play it). Hell I’ll buy a copy of Alien Isolation (and the season pass) for one lucky claimant too. That’s 6 games going out, one game per recipient. Speak up soon, the sale ends in like 22 hours.

FilthyImp posted:

Sorry, the superior Alien based game is clearly

They even made action figures for that game a few years back. Both Predators, both humans, and 3 of the Alien variants. I’d post pics but I’m phone posting.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol the alien AI in colonial marines is broken because of a single typo in an ini file that you fix yourself

There’s a fan mod that fixes (and improves!) the AI for everything, redoes a lot of the textures, and largely brings the game up to a surprisingly playable state. Like we’re still talking a C-grade game here, but it’s not a dumpster fire. Doesn’t fix the plot though lol.

It still has one of the best cinematic trailers ever made:

https://youtu.be/Z8eE4PvvFtg

The trailers for that game’s multiplayer modes were great too.

https://youtu.be/Q7UBQouJBns

https://youtu.be/VmnU3_hzqsM

Timby posted:

It is by no means really good.

Good atmosphere, yes. But it plays like poo poo.

I really liked Resistance, I thought it did a fantastic job of conveying the scavenging hopeless bombed-out wasteland of 2029 and the gradual escalation of your competency is great - you go from absolutely fearing endoskeletons and HKs to being able to reliably take them down. Fights with T-800 infiltrators were great too, and I loved the localized damage where you can blow parts of their flesh off. The final battle was a fantastic capstone when you do the all-out assault on Skynet, too.

McGann posted:

Resistance very much felt like a spiritual successor to Future Shock.

Speaking of Terminator, there’s a recent tabletop RPG - it’s published by a different company than the Alien one, but it’s all written by the same guy who wrote the Alien one (Andrew Gaska) and includes some cute nods to “expanded universe” stuff. I don’t remember if it has any Future Shock stuff in it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Terminator, there’s a recent tabletop RPG - it’s published by a different company than the Alien one, but it’s all written by the same guy who wrote the Alien one (Andrew Gaska) and includes some cute nods to “expanded universe” stuff. I don’t remember if it has any Future Shock stuff in it.

I don't think it does just because IIRC it had this very very specific promotional blurb like the official RPG based on the film The Terminator and all Terminator Dark Horse comics or somethibg like that. I think because Marvel still has some weird rights to comics based on Terminator 2 specifically or something like that.

I had no idea Alien RPG peeps were involved in the writing, I'll have to get it.

Future Shock was sooooo loving good, I loved that game. Kind of clunky today but still worth trying to see what they were attempting back then. Exploring the indoor areas was so cool with thise soundtracks too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

colon marines

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think it does just because IIRC it had this very very specific promotional blurb like the official RPG based on the film The Terminator and all Terminator Dark Horse comics or somethibg like that. I think because Marvel still has some weird rights to comics based on Terminator 2 specifically or something like that.

I know Gaska is working on expanding the RPG to include T2 stuff eventually.

One of my “pet peeves” with the RPG’s art is it uses the endoskeleton design from Terminator Genisys instead of the “classic” design from T1 and 2 (yes they’re slightly different). I’m not sure why they did that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

colon marines

"Wake up private! You're in some serrrious poo poo!" -AvP Gold

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I know Gaska is working on expanding the RPG to include T2 stuff eventually.

One of my “pet peeves” with the RPG’s art is it uses the endoskeleton design from Terminator Genisys instead of the “classic” design from T1 and 2 (yes they’re slightly different). I’m not sure why they did that.

That rules! Looking forward to checking the game out.

I wonder if there's lingering dispute over what can be called/look like a T-800 or whatever like with Terminator 3

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CelticPredator posted:

colon marines

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Splicer posted:

We have very different opinions of fireteam.

I mean I was sure someone in this thread would love it. The problem with Fireteam is that it's perfectly fine to play through once at a middling difficulty level and have fun, but higher difficulties are just an extremely tiresome damage/hp escalator that isn't fun and not worth grinding for.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it's kind of funny that through a series of contextual changes and overall cultural drift, the Lovecraftian read on the Alien and the presumably uncaring universe that created it is seen as comforting and signifying potential and wonder, while the (ambiguously sincere) Biblical imagery that Ridley Scott likes to play with, with the Alien as sort of the ultimate slave / leper and the Engineer as something like a man, is upsetting "forbidden knowledge" that threatens the viewer with irreversible contamination just by knowing about it.

This is because nerds badly misread Lovecraft’s stories, if they’ve even read them at all.

Going back so far as even The Beast In The Cave, Lovecraft insisted that monsters aren’t actually that scary.

The protagonist of Beast has gotten himself deeply lost in Mammoth Cave, without a torch, and - concluding that the situation is hopeless - has resigned himself to a slow death by starvation. Obviously this sucks for him, but he’s able to rationalize that there are worse ways to die. This massive cave will make a pretty awesome tomb, I guess.

Gradually, though, he becomes aware that he is being approached by something. From the sound of it, it’s likely a puma - but the protagonist is disturbed by the realization that, in the absolute darkness, he’ll never actually know what the creature is. Even as it eats him alive, or even if he manages to kill it with a pointy rock....

Again, though, the protagonist rationalizes that being eaten by a mountain lion is probably better than starving over the course of a couple weeks. It’ll suck, but oh well!

Anyways, spoiler alert, the ‘puma’ was actually an old, naked homeless dude who’d been lost in the cave for a several decades. Crawling around in the dark on all fours, subsisting on eyeless cave-fish, his limbs gnarled and his clothes having long since disintegrated, protagonist and the tour guide who miraculously intervenes initially mistake him for a weird new species of ape. This is what finally, truly horrifies the protag.

Beast is not a particularly well-written story, but the point is obvious: the horror of being trapped in a cave isn’t the nothingness of the void, or being eaten by some incomprehensible monster. It’s living, surviving - being unable to die even as everything else is stripped away. Obviously protag is only a few bad meals away from becoming a ‘beast’ himself. Protagonist is also implicitly disturbed by the abjection of this neighbour, where any empathy is countered by revulsion. If anything, he’s dodged the ultimate horror of being trapped in the cave together for decades - forced into disgusting, intimate overproximity.

So, the meme version of Lovecraft is that the protagonist sees a monster, it’s indescribably awful, beyond his comprehension, and his brain shuts down. The end. In actuality, we know full well what actually happens when people encounter a space-puma in Lovecraft’s stories: they start a cult serving it, and/or try to have sex with it, or whatever. The horror for Lovecraft is not that these cultist losers and their gods exist, but the likelihood that he - and, by extension, you - will become like them. You will be consumed by thirsts, and hungers, and lusts. You will find religion.

And of course that’s precisely what perturbs nerds with Prometheus - especially with regards to Shaw. And it’s why the space-puma referred to as “the xenomorph” has to be hyped to incredible levels of absurdity.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is because nerds badly misread Lovecraft’s stories, if they’ve even read them at all.

Going back so far as even The Beast In The Cave, Lovecraft insisted that monsters aren’t actually that scary.

Lolwut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraftian_horror

There are many facets to Lovecraftian horror, one of which is scary weird monsters.

Especially considering Prometheus is a retelling of ‘At The Mountains of Madness’ (which contains actual honest to god monsters), with the black goo and its creations standing in for the Shoggoth

I wonder, who are these vague, nebulous “nerds”?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 22, 2023

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Does "The Beast in the Cave" even count as Lovecraftian, though? It doesn't seem racist enough.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That Wikipedia article basically backs up SMG's point in a less interesting way. Lovecraftian horror is about knowledge and what it might do to you, not the monster.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alchenar posted:

That Wikipedia article basically backs up SMG's point in a less interesting way. Lovecraftian horror is about knowledge and what it might do to you, not the monster.

Well I mean, yes that is an important aspect of Lovecraftian horror absolutely, but the Shoggoth article talks about how the creature is “terrible” (to use Lovecraft’s own words) and that the mere possibility that such a monster could exist on earth brings a character indescribable terror.

To quote the Wikipedia article on Lovecraftian horror and its themes:

quote:

[20]
The "fear and awe we feel when confronted by phenomena beyond our comprehension, whose scope extends beyond the narrow field of human affairs and boasts of cosmic significance".[21] Here horror derives from the realization that human interests, desires, laws and morality have no meaning or significance in the universe-at-large.[22] Consequently, it has been noted that the entities in Lovecraft's books were not evil. They were simply far beyond human conceptions of morality.

“Unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality”.

I’m not saying monsters are the sole aspect of Lovecraftian horror, it’s not. But to say “Lovecraft didn’t include scary monsters” is bizarre lol

Also the xenomorph is cool and good

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Well. Here we go again. Anyway, I’ll take a avp classic in prep for possible game night, xeno. I should be on your friends list already as I meant to get with you for some fireteam elite but still haven’t yet

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

Well. Here we go again. Anyway, I’ll take a avp classic in prep for possible game night, xeno. I should be on your friends list already as I meant to get with you for some fireteam elite but still haven’t yet
Shoot me a message on Steam and I’ll hook you up when I get home.

Still 4 AvPs and an Alien Isolation on the table!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I mean I was sure someone in this thread would love it. The problem with Fireteam is that it's perfectly fine to play through once at a middling difficulty level and have fun, but higher difficulties are just an extremely tiresome damage/hp escalator that isn't fun and not worth grinding for.

Reminds of that newer Alien Syndrome game Sega did for the Wii. Fun overhead coop shooter, like coop Diablo for with four player online or couch coop but with goopy sci-fi alien poo poo instead of fantasy poo poo on the Wii in 2007 was good stuff, but after awhile the grind and harder areas just weren't fun.

Man Alien Syndrome was cool, don't know if I'd call it Giger-esque but it had some cool body horror stuff for an arcade game of that age.

That reminds me, SNK a favorite game developer of mine, made a coop overhead run 'n gun (I mean kind of slower paced I guess, more of a strafe 'n roll?) arcade game called SAR: SEARCH AND RESCUE. This game was hard as poo poo because it was an arcade game very much designed to take your money but had some extremely rewarding gore and Alien-esque body horror in it. The aliens themselves are just the xenomorph straight up they didn't even file the serial numbers off. And impressively for a game of that age had some great body exploding gore animation. poo poo like you see a guy in power armor and you blow away the armor bit by bit, blow away the guy, blow away the zombie version of the guy, blow away the alien blob that bursts out of the guy, then blow away the xenomorph that grows out of the blob after you shoot it. Just this occassionally insane amount of overkill for like a regular enemy that you can just run by if you want. Good poo poo imo.

SNK also I give a lot of credit of their arcade games having some seriously downer endings throughout that era. This game's premise is you and player 2 are the special company "search and rescue" team, then when you beat the game the ending is that you completed your mission - successfully scuttling what was left of the wrecked ship into a chasm and blowing it up to completely over up that there were aliens on it for your bosses. :wtc:

Also appreciate the soundtrack hehee.

Anyways good Alien-esque video game poo poo imo, gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZ5jGN4KUU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah I don't play higher than the first friendly fire difficulty level, partly because it's just me & Mrs Splicer and an idiot bot. But replaying levels with different loadouts while buying new guns and making the new guns' numbers go up is very much our jam. Some of the cards are fun too, like dropping a Drone into a level with a lot of non-Alien enemies.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
When you said alien “influenced” NeoGeo game I thought you meant xeno crisis: https://youtu.be/alUno2phEjk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Oh yeah I don't play higher than the first friendly fire difficulty level, partly because it's just me & Mrs Splicer and an idiot bot. But replaying levels with different loadouts while buying new guns and making the new guns' numbers go up is very much our jam. Some of the cards are fun too, like dropping a Drone into a level with a lot of non-Alien enemies.

I went out of my way to make all of my guns in Fireteam look like the Nerf pulse rifle, with gaudy yellow hazard striping everywhere.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyway my prediction is that Dark Descent won't be terrible, but you will play through it and come back to this thread and there won't be a single moment from the game you can recall or want to post about.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A repeating theme of Lovecraftian horror is specifically discovering unknowable alien awfulness in other people, or in yourself, either as something that's being called down or generated by their behavior or that's secretly been there all along. "Oh poo poo, the Elder Things were people all along" or "Oh poo poo, I was a Deep One all along". Sure, a Shoggoth is just a pitiless force of destruction that's more akin to an environmental hazard than a thinking antagonist... but it's also just something a race of people were making use of that spiraled out of their control, akin to an oil fire or radiation leak.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I haven't read it in awhile, but aren't the monsters in At the Mountains of Madness giant skinless penguins?

I could easily be mistaking it with another Lovecraft book, if that's the case, my apologies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ruddiger posted:

I haven't read it in awhile, but aren't the monsters in At the Mountains of Madness giant skinless penguins?

I could easily be mistaking it with another Lovecraft book, if that's the case, my apologies

Nah, they're more like big weird sea cucumber things with wings and tentacles and star-shaped faces. Basically a mashup of a bunch of different types of sea life. (And then also the shoggoths, which are just formless shapeshifters.)

There is however an extended aside where the protagonist discovers that one of the Elder Things (monsters) has dissected one of his crewmates, and his reaction as an explorer and scientist (once he realizes they did it and it wasn't just human infighting) is "omg they're just like us."

McGann
May 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

What's your Steam ID?

Edit: I found the disc immediately and in perfect condition.

Edit x2: And of course my drive won't read it :D

McGann fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 23, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

A repeating theme of Lovecraftian horror is specifically discovering unknowable alien awfulness in other people, or in yourself, either as something that's being called down or generated by their behavior or that's secretly been there all along. "Oh poo poo, the Elder Things were people all along" or "Oh poo poo, I was a Deep One all along". Sure, a Shoggoth is just a pitiless force of destruction that's more akin to an environmental hazard than a thinking antagonist... but it's also just something a race of people were making use of that spiraled out of their control, akin to an oil fire or radiation leak.

I agree with all of this, that is a big part of some Lovecraftian horror.

I suppose you could even argue that there are elements of what you’re talking about in ‘Alien’ - Ash is visually like a human, but isn’t one; is his kind going to “replace” the crew in the long run (I’d argue that David hopes for that)? The Company (which is also unclouded by conscience, remorse, and delusions of morality) is ostensibly made up of people who have “become” a nonhuman (inhuman?) entity… or were those people like that all along?

I completely agree that major facets of Lovecraftian horror include fear of the unknown/unknowable (and fear of the “other” that may exist within ourselves), but scary monsters do exist in Lovecraftian fiction.

The Alien is a weird-looking rape-monster that murders people violently, and getting murdered is scary, but getting murdered isn’t necessarily Lovecraft-scary. Part of the horror in ‘Alien’ includes that we don’t know what the amoral creature is going to do (it reacts to every character differently) or, like a Shoggoth, what physical form it’s even going to take. Hell, the Alien itself is the literal embodiment of “a monster within ourselves”, complete with recognizable-but-warped physical characteristics.

ruddiger posted:

I think those are in At The Mountains of Madness too or maybe just giant penguins or something, but the Shoggoth (former servants of the elder gods that look like writhing amorphous black tar with myriad eyeballs all over the place) is there too. The Wiki article has a quote from Lovecraft of what they’re supposed to look like.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 23, 2023

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I’m thinking Friday night at 9PM EST would be a good time for most folks for AvP Classic. Please ask thread friend Xenomorph if you want a copy if you want, otherwise it’s still on sale. If he runs out I can give out a few copies as well.

PM me or add me Steam

https://steamcommunity.com/id/spacejim/

McGann
May 19, 2003

Space Jam posted:

I’m thinking Friday night at 9PM EST would be a good time for most folks for AvP Classic. Please ask thread friend Xenomorph if you want a copy if you want, otherwise it’s still on sale. If he runs out I can give out a few copies as well.

PM me or add me Steam

Invite sent. I haven't used Steam in forever so I'm either a variation of this user or Redhammer - I'm not sure which of these names is the "display". Treat me like a boomer, I guess

Steam FAQ tells me if I get gifted a copy and it won't play, I can still return it with <2 hours playtime? If that's accurate, since my CD drive won't read, I'm humbly requesting a copy. This PC should run it, but if not I will return.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

McGann posted:

What's your Steam ID?

Edit: I found the disc immediately and in perfect condition.

Edit x2: And of course my drive won't read it :D

My steam ID is "Xenomrph" (same icon as I use here), my friend code is 17618088

If you need a copy of AvPClassic, hit me up.

FastestGunAlive, shoot me a Steam message or post your Steam ID/friend code, I'm home now.

Space Jam posted:

PM me or add me Steam

Just added you as a friend :hfive:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

And of course that’s precisely what perturbs nerds with Prometheus - especially with regards to Shaw. And it’s why the space-puma referred to as “the xenomorph” has to be hyped to incredible levels of absurdity.
I'd appreciate an ELI5 on this line, I'm having some genuine difficulty parsing it in context. Possibly I'm just tired and failing at demonstrative pronouns. Anyway;

The protagonist of Beast has gotten himself deeply lost in Mammoth Cave, without a torch, and - concluding that the situation is hopeless - has resigned himself to a slow death by starvation. Obviously this sucks for him, but he’s able to rationalize that there are worse ways to die. This massive cave will make a pretty awesome tomb, I guess.

Gradually, though, he becomes aware that he is being approached by something. From the sound of it, it’s likely a puma - but the protagonist is disturbed by the realization that, in the absolute darkness, he’ll never actually know what the creature is. Even as it eats him alive, or even if he manages to kill it with a pointy rock....

Again, though, the protagonist rationalizes that being eaten by a mountain lion is probably better than starving over the course of a couple weeks. It’ll suck, but oh well!

Anyways, spoiler alert, the ‘puma’ was actually an old, naked homeless dude who’d been lost in the cave for a several decades. Crawling around in the dark on all fours, subsisting on eyeless cave-fish, his limbs gnarled and his clothes having long since disintegrated, protagonist and the tour guide who miraculously intervenes initially mistake him for a weird new species of ape. This is what finally, truly horrifies the protag.

Beast is not a particularly well-written story, but the point is obvious: the horror of being trapped in a cave isn’t the nothingness of the void, or being eaten by some incomprehensible monster. It’s living, surviving - being unable to die even as everything else is stripped away. Obviously protag is only a few bad meals away from becoming a ‘beast’ himself. Protagonist is also implicitly disturbed by the abjection of this neighbour, where any empathy is countered by revulsion. If anything, he’s dodged the ultimate horror of being trapped in the cave together for decades - forced into disgusting, intimate overproximity.

So, the meme version of Lovecraft is that the protagonist sees a monster, it’s indescribably awful, beyond his comprehension, and his brain shuts down. The end. In actuality, we know full well what actually happens when people encounter a space-puma in Lovecraft’s stories: they start a cult serving it, and/or try to have sex with it, or whatever. The horror for Lovecraft is not that these cultist losers and their gods exist, but the likelihood that he - and, by extension, you - will become like them. You will be consumed by thirsts, and hungers, and lusts. You will find religion.
I'm not disagreeing with you here, more expanding.

Lovecraft's overarching theme is that nothing is scarier than a privileged white man of pure English stock being confronted by the possibility of losing his rightful status as the centre of the universe. In The Beast in the Cave the narrator is confronted by the realisation that external circumstances could cost him his birthright via transformation into one of his lessers. Innsmouth, Arthur Jermyn, and H.P. Lovecraft's horrifying real life experience of finding out he was part Welsh reflect the possibility of a privileged white man of pure English stock discovering they were never of pure English stock at all. But the category you haven't covered is that one could remain a white man of pure English stock, and remain privileged compared to their lessers, but discover that there exists a being or beings more priviliged and more powerful again, able to exert their will upon the narrator as easily as or easier than they exert their will upon The Other. The truly cosmic horror of discovering that being a privileged white man of pure English stock does not actually matter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 23, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Xenomrph posted:

My steam ID is "Xenomrph" (same icon as I use here), my friend code is 17618088

If you need a copy of AvPClassic, hit me up.

FastestGunAlive, shoot me a Steam message or post your Steam ID/friend code, I'm home now.

Just added you as a friend :hfive:

I’m not home today but I should be on your friends list as fastestgunalive

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’m not home today but I should be on your friends list as fastestgunalive

I have an "FGA" with an icon that looks like a little orange cat in a wizard's cap hopping across a background, is that you?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Yo I’d love one AvP pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Xenomrph posted:

I have an "FGA" with an icon that looks like a little orange cat in a wizard's cap hopping across a background, is that you?

Yes sir