Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Props to this week's CR Doc for having the first non-insane person button layout I've seen in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

You know you can open the skill pane and drag buttons around on the CR, right?

Agreed that this week's CR build was actually good. Missing defensives, but not bad if you get Jade WD.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yes I know that, I'm saying this is the first CR in awhile where I haven't had to move Storm Armor off of left click or some other psychopathic button assignment.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I like to put the skills that are never cast (or only once every 10 minutes) on left click because it's essentially a dead button for me. I use force move on spacebar to get around if not teleporting. It's much more convenient than remembering to hold stand still while left clicking if you're not targeting a monster or struggling to click ground when you're swamped. I wish there were a force interact button to use pylons and doors in battle because often they get buried in enemies and can't be clicked at all; D4 added this and although I never needed it during beta it's a welcome sight.

Teleport on 3 while in Archon is something I think we can all agree is stupid, all the more so because you can't reassign those skills.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I still bind Teleport to 3 even though I haven't played Archon in probably 6 years, the damage is already done.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Is there any particular optimal path for gambling pieces for a Tal's set? After having the amulet drop on my DH, I figured it was a sign to roll a wizard for the first time in like 20 seasons. Got the source randomly as well, but the last few rounds of gambling for boots with my wizard resulted in a disheartening amount of irontoe mudsputters. I know I want Boots of Nilfur eventually, but maybe gambling another slot gives me higher odds of getting some Tal's piece and then just re-rolling to boots?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gambling sources will give you the highest statistical chance of getting a Tal's piece, although it can also be worth it to gamble helms for a Mempo if you don't have that already. Tal's has no native boot slot so you wear Nilfur's in the main setup.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

exquisite tea posted:

Gambling sources will give you the highest statistical chance of getting a Tal's piece, although it can also be worth it to gamble helms for a Mempo if you don't have that already. Tal's has no native boot slot so you wear Nilfur's in the main setup.

Well that certainly helps. Not sure why I was convinced there were Tal's boots, but this is what I get for thinking only about DH pieces for so many seasons.

If I can gamble sources, maybe I should just stay with my DH and gamble directly with her shards, rather than leave the game and restart as my wizard to gamble. If a DH gambles for sources from Kadala, they still drop with INT rather than DEX, right?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

If a DH gambles for sources from Kadala, they still drop with INT rather than DEX, right?

Yep, they drop how you'd expect them to (Intelligence, Wizard-only affixes, etc). Just hopped on my DH to confirm and first source was Tal Rasha's. Good luck in your gambling!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

my favorite thing about Tal's is that you can convert set items to get the amulet, which is usually the hardest thing to get

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Replacing my ancient staff with a primal one. Should I spin the vitality into something that makes DPS?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Vit to 10% damage and call it a day.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Vit to 10% damage and call it a day.

this

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How much does attack speed really matter in this build? I might want to keep vit so there's less paragon going to it but that's just me.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Meteor breakpoints are close enough that basically every IAS roll is meaningful DPS gained/helps you stack Smoldering Core faster, and weapon is one of the best places to keep that roll. Never keep vit on any weapon/jewelry/gloves unless it's a support build.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wiz can be super greedy this season and never put a single point into Vit.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Forgot how awful set dungeons are to master. I hope the person who came up with the goals got fired and now works at an Arby's.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
A lot of them are super easy and even the hardest one you can probably do in a half dozen tries or so. Not saying they're any fun at all though, they certainly are not.

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
Immortal King with a hammer build, brain dead easy. I make a barb every season just for that set dungeon

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

bamhand posted:

A lot of them are super easy and even the hardest one you can probably do in a half dozen tries or so. Not saying they're any fun at all though, they certainly are not.
There are a couple of annoying ones, but the biggest problem with doing them at this point in the season is that they're ~T4 difficulty and don't scale at all: for some of them, you're better off taking off pieces of gear so that you don't just splatter everything before you do the thing the objectives want you to do.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

yeah the season journey and set dungeons haven't been redone since they were introduced, which is why GR 70 is still the top end rift you have to complete for some reason

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Asking people the same question over the in-game chat a few days ago I can confirm I was able to gamble for a bunch of Tal Rasha sources to swap and reforge in the cube to get a wiz rolling along gently. Helped that until yesterday I had thousands of mats from doing GR runs and failing to get any ancients for my monk. Little low now on forgotten souls.

Too lazy to swap them around so I'm leveling up new Stricken and Trapped gems. It's a slow process while I die too much and try out a wiz for probably the second time ever.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Incoherence posted:

There are a couple of annoying ones, but the biggest problem with doing them at this point in the season is that they're ~T4 difficulty and don't scale at all: for some of them, you're better off taking off pieces of gear so that you don't just splatter everything before you do the thing the objectives want you to do.

oh yeah, for the innas one, I had to take off all my jewelry and 1 weapon, change the rune on mystic ally to air, and unassign all my paragon points to not accidentally kill everything

Jows
May 8, 2002

TR Wiz is just full power meteor spam. I got it on my 2nd try after getting munched by a worm on my first.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

exquisite tea posted:

Wiz can be super greedy this season and never put a single point into Vit.

I felt noticeably more comfortable at peak GRs around 1 mil health on my Wiz than around 680-750k health, so I dumped points into Vitality to get there. Beefier galvanizing ward, less likely to lose Squirt's Necklace, etc.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I just got a tal rasha for my wiz yesterday and I was farming GR 90s today but I feel so squishy, bow enemies can basically 1 shot me and I have so many meteor graphics on my screen I can't see the poison on the floor thats killing me until it's too late. But I do feel really powerful, the damage is far better than blood nova necro.

That dumb halo of karini or a socketed squirts necklace just won't drop for me either

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah a high rolled halo is really key to not getting splatted at lower Paragon/all legendary tals.

You can supplement it with Guardians which will give you a huge damage and toughness boost for now, and swap to Aughilds when you're not getting most of your vit and int from gear.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
so I'm doing the staff of herding altar tier on PC after doing it on switch and is chiltarra a guaranteed spawn on PC or have I just gotten really lucky? It took me forever on switch because they didn't even spawn about half the time I got caverns of frost but I'm slightly less annoyed at the idea of doing it again if its a guaranteed spawn. Its still a dogshit chore but I feel like I can at least knock it out in an hour maybe

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so I'm doing the staff of herding altar tier on PC after doing it on switch and is chiltarra a guaranteed spawn on PC or have I just gotten really lucky? It took me forever on switch because they didn't even spawn about half the time I got caverns of frost but I'm slightly less annoyed at the idea of doing it again if its a guaranteed spawn. Its still a dogshit chore but I feel like I can at least knock it out in an hour maybe

She's not guaranteed, but it's a pretty high chance (my experience was at LEAST 66%+)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
70-80% chance last I read. I'm at that stage of the altar too, I farmed it for an hour and gave up. I don't care about altar progress anymore.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
yeah I'm certainly considering not giving a poo poo as well. How bad are the shinbone and rainbow thingy to farm? I didn't struggle too much with the mushroom on switch but that might have been rng

e: just had my first non-spawn out of 9 runs at the cavern of frost so yeah, it must be pretty high odds

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 23, 2023

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The shin bone and liquid rainbow are both very easy to farm because if they spawn it's a short run and not a 50/50 followed by two levels of exploring. You can also share both of them if you find it by inviting people, or get invited if you're unlucky.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I got everything but chiltara in half an hour. Five hours farming her and nothing. It's really killed my desire to play and I haven't logged in for a bit. Really the worst kind of grind.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I've absolutely given up on the staff for now. Finished the season journey off and now working on getting a 150.

Feeling a bit more confident having switched back to guardians, but felt a little low on damage during the 135PB I ran last night. Switched back to Star Pact + conduit and I feel it's helped a bit with damage and resource management, and working on kiting and mob management in 130 after watching a few 150 Tal Rasha runs and noticing some bad habits that are slowing down rift progress.

A more experienced pusher could probably knock it out the park with my setup at this point, but I feel I probably want a few more primals or just better ancient rolls to get there.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I just got done gearing a Monk for T16:s (Inna) and Bounties (Inna/Raiment) and it feels so much better than GoD, you literally just spam Dash and watch the screen disintegrate.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I really enjoyed that Monk challenge rift last week. I think if I decided to roll a 3rd class this season that'd be it. Just face rolled the keyboard and everything died.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If I have a 900% non-ancient Nilfur's, it's probably going to take a primal to be an upgrade right? I am at 20k int some I'm estimating the augment + ancient int roll bonus is about 3% more damage.

I would need an ancient Nilfur's with at least a (100%+900%)/1.03 - 100% = 870% roll to break even on damage to my non-ancient.

I actually got a primal one that had no vit roll, no meteor roll, and move speed and regen. So even a primal could be rolled badly enough that it's not really worth it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

D3 planner it's the only way to tell for me. I am not a human calculator.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Nilfur's doesn't apply in all situations (the affix only multiplies meteors that hit 3 or less enemies), but yes, you probably shouldn't replace well rolled 900% non-ancients without a primal or an ancient rolling somewhere in the 890+ range. Your time and effort is also probably better spent on gaining paragon than trying (i.e. bounties/reforging/page 3 if you're completely insane) to get good primal boots that are functionally just a mainstat boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yes, you're better off waiting for a primal Nilfur's Boast to drop for simplicity. If you manage to find an ancient one that can beat it, use it, but primal makes that math easier to figure out.