Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

lmao what the gently caress. that's insane

Yeah like, again I'm sorry for the people who lost their jobs. I work in tech in a semi real job and don't want to lose mine. But there is no way indeed.com needs that many global shiny offices in super expensive real estate and 10000 employees. I can feel my inner private equity monster coming out as I type that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These jobs were bullshit jobs. I don't feel one single bit of remorse

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i hope everyone loses their job. yes even me.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Mar 23, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

lmao what the gently caress. that's insane

outside of drivers which they don't consider human Uber/Lyft/Doordash employ tens of thousands too with headquarters in all of the major world capitols as well

I figured it was just so the C-Suite could jet off to Dublin one week and Paris the next to sit through meetings that serve no purpose. "Sorry, I've got prior obligations in Tokyo on the 23rd, can we do Sydney or London the following week?"

To do this you need an established location inside the country. To do that you need to staff that location. So then you have 16 sets of everything to maintain a website that hasn't changed in the 5 years since I last used it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah like, again I'm sorry for the people who lost their jobs. I work in tech in a semi real job and don't want to lose mine. But there is no way indeed.com needs that many global shiny offices in super expensive real estate and 10000 employees. I can feel my inner private equity monster coming out as I type that

They have to recruit the top talent!!! You can only do that with expensive offices in expensive cities where highly paid people are all friends with each other

That way they can do ??? And make their 250 grand bonuses or whatever the gently caress

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

outside of drivers which they don't consider human Uber/Lyft/Doordash employ tens of thousands too with headquarters in all of the major world capitols as well

I figured it was just so the C-Suite could jet off to Dublin one week and Paris the next to sit through meetings that serve no purpose. "Sorry, I've got prior obligations in Tokyo on the 23rd, can we do Sydney or London the following week?"

To do this you need an established location inside the country. To do that you need to staff that location. So then you have 16 sets of everything to maintain a website that hasn't changed in the 5 years since I last used it

yes uber has thirty-eight thousand employees

it is insane. maybe kind of a nice gig on one level, but holy poo poo there would either be (a) no work to do, ever, or (b) transparently bullshit busywork, all the time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
actually if like 90% of those roles are customer service, that would make sense. that's always the one that requires highest head count to customer base.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Seems like every tech company that made money decided to form global headquarters in all of the best places for the executives to fly to pointless meetings

i think at least some of "xxx company has offices in 30 cities" means that they acquired a company with a few dozen to a few hundred employees and they changed the sign out front

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Mar 23, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Asking too many questions like "why did these companies have so many employees" will reveal inconvenient truths like the entire American economy being based on completely bullshit jobs that probably shouldn't exist

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

probably a few lawyers, accountants, and customer service people in certain areas to satisfy legal requirements. plus 18 layers of managers endlessly making power points to jerk off the next higher tier of manager.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Radirot posted:

i hope everyone loses their job. yes even me.

I would be so insanely happy if I lost my job. I'd buy a gun.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I always thought this plausible deniability bullshit was the dumbest meme and I'm glad it finally owned some dumbass.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

jetz0r posted:

probably a few lawyers, accountants, and customer service people in certain areas to satisfy legal requirements. plus 18 layers of managers endlessly making power points to jerk off the next higher tier of manager.

The growing belief within all of them that ChatGPT can do their subordinates' jobs, but not theirs, while it produces meaningless babble is going to have some wild consequences.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

Asking too many questions like "why did these companies have so many employees" will reveal inconvenient truths like the entire American economy being based on completely bullshit jobs that probably shouldn't exist
speaking of bullshit jobs, I always wondered what happened to Moonshine - The Forgotten Employee in this legend: https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

(so many people called it fake but that just belays their ignorance of american corporation)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shear Modulus posted:

i think at least some of "xxx company has offices in 30 cities" means that they acquired a company with a few dozen to a few hundred employees and they changed the sign out front

Yep, this happens a lot. My current large-ish tech company has this problem. Pre pandemic they were going to shut down the…lets say Cleveland office and the VP / former head of the company that got purchased that was based there threw a fit and said his team would collapse if it had to do remote work or fly to different offices. So my company renewed the lease, covid hit, the whole team went remote and the guy who threw the fit retired after a year. Now we’re stuck with at least 3 more years on this office in the middle of loving nowhere that’s inconvenient to travel to and never even reaches 1/4 capacity

Moral of the story, don’t make real estate decisions off of one or two loud voices in leadership and yet tech companies do this poo poo all the time.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

if you have more bodies you can usually grow revenue. it might not be good revenue, but if you point to a graph with a number going up, people who spend 10 hours a year "working" by going to shareholder meetings can nod real intently and go about their business making infinite money because the entire system is a stupid scam and not because uber is profitable.

its all just a confidence game.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

quote:

We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.

Geodesic dome guy was right!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

speaking of bullshit jobs, I always wondered what happened to Moonshine - The Forgotten Employee in this legend: https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

(so many people called it fake but that just belays their ignorance of american corporation)

the goon who wrote it said it was fake. they no longer post here iirc

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah pretty much

I'll admit I'm jealous I missed the boat on getting a multi year high paying job to do nothing at Facebook or whatever though

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Mar 23, 2023

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Would've had better odds on judge judy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

They called and we said yes. The landlady told them to pound sand.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Woke Mind Virus posted:

yeah wtf, why is that?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Homeless Friend posted:

Just shoot Chitwood in the head, and he stops being a problem. They have to find a new guy to be the problem. But shooting Chitwood in the head solves an immediate problem permanently. Just shoot Chitwood in the head and murder him. In Minecraft.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thats enough to get arrested? Heard worse in this very thread.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radirot posted:

yeah wtf, why is that?

because the show covers whatever damages they award

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

err posted:

Thats enough to get arrested? Heard worse in this very thread.

generally there is other evidence. generally

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
for the love of god don't talk to this thread before you talk to your lawyer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

for the love of god don't talk to this thread before you talk to your lawyer

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1279814327776624640

except for the guy in this thread not alan

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Haven’t talked to them yet.

Me: Hey judge, 5 days after I threatened to withhold rent in light of her refusing repairs, she raised rent. That’s LITERALLY QUOTED drat NEAR VERBATIM IN THE CASE LAW.

Judge: lol gently caress off.

I'm sure someone's already pointed this out several pp later but what that is is the latest court action for the case, not the final judgment.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Yeah pretty much

I'll admit I'm jealous I missed the boat on getting a multi year high paying job to do nothing at Facebook or whatever though

trust me dawg those days aren’t over in tech

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

Judgment contested" is what Small Claims dockets to say to indicate that the parties both showed up and it was not, by contrast, an uncontested/default Judgment. It doesn't mean Defendant has or will appeal. If that happens, you'll get served with a Notice of Appeal.

yeah

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

03/20/2023 Court orders judgment entered on the Plaintiff's Claim filed by [me], et al. on 12/19/2022 as follows: Defendant [Parasite Landlady] does not owe the plaintiffs any money on plaintiff's claim.

03/20/2023 Court orders judgment entered for Defendant on defendant's claim [parasite landlay] against Plaintiff on defendant's claim [wife] and Plaintiff on defendant's claim [me] on the Defendant's Claim filed by [parasite landlay] on 03/09/2023 for the principal amount of $308.00 and costs of $75.00 for a total of $383.00, joint and several.

what the gently caress

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because the show covers whatever damages they award

yeah but the landlord's reputation is at stake :pray:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Kangaroo Court!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Chauvin would have walked had poo poo not burned down

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

what the gently caress

if the lawyer comes back and says your screwed, I don’t blame you at all. We were legally, and morally correct. The court system is garbage.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You get to keep the rent you withheld?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You get to keep the rent you withheld?

I never withheld rent because she got a contractor over to give her an estimate to fix the doors. Then she never fixed the doors.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

sleep with the vicious posted:

Indeed laid of 2200 people today, around 15% of the company. I'm sorry for the people who lost their jobs but how the gently caress does indeed.com have 10000 employees

A former recruiter for Meta said she was paid a $190,000 salary to do “nothing” at the social media giant — where CEO Mark Zuckerberg in recent weeks has revealed plans to slash 21,000 jobs.

Career strategist Madelyn Machado posted a video on TikTok on Friday titled “Getting paid $190k to do nothing at Meta” — recalling a six-month stint at the owner of Facebook and Instagram that ended last spring.

Machado said in her TikTok video that upon her arrival at the company in September 2021, she was told by her bosses not to hire anyone.

“We weren’t expected to hire anybody for the first six months, even the first year,” she said. “This is something they tell you when you start.”

“That really blew my mind,” she added. “Like ‘Perfect, I’m just going to ride this out for a year,’ obviously I didn’t make that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

*slaps house of cards* Wait until you see how stable it is!