Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So I just lost an event game to someone taking advantage of the Ninja's Kunai bug. I put in a ticket about it because gently caress that guy. I see they are pretty good about refunding stuff for drafts, do they do the same for events? Was my third loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

ONE Trad

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3a5a9b5ff63243f2bb987686eb516762

Again I didn't want to go red, and it looked like UW artifacts would have ended up being p deece, with an early retrofitter to force it, then some eyes, some cats, and I tried to be open towards that, but then I got two war-whips and welp! Can't ignore that! So down the equipment path I went. I'm happy with at least having white as a base and not red which is starting to bore me.

This is 1-0 already, with a very tight set of matches in a mirror - we both got on the board early, tried to evaluate trades, pretty much a perfect example of both players following the "rules of engagement" those content creators love to invoke!
This deck trophied! A clean 4-0 for the final matches. Three of them won in 6 turns. Admittedly, the second opponent was really bad at the game. Their deck wasn't even obviously terrible, but they just sucked at sequencing.

Final opp, Gruul, put up more of a fight, but I won with a big alpha strike and Plated Onslaught - pretty much the only kind of deck that plays this well, I think, but it played it very well indeed. Final match I sideboarded in Molten Rebuke, for their 5/5 I saw, and that mattered because I could kill their Furnace Strider and just win.

This was my first Trad trophy!

Afterwards, we got a Discord gang together, and drafted SOI Remastered Trad (which, apparently, is SIR?):

https://www.17lands.com/draft/12842b9c4fde4603bbc327de088d8d92

This was actually a pretty awkward draft, with no clear lane for most of the first pack, and our eventual choice (Vampire Madness) drying up hard in P3. We stuck it out, got aggressive cards, and ended up with this sleek thing:

We played out all of it - discussed cool lanes to take, debated on when to just go in, good stuff - and actually trophied again! That was a blast of a day!

And I got to do the thing!

(would have been a turn 5 kill from 16 life, but we missed the discard +2/-2 for the final two life in the exhilaration, still siccccc ofc)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
O-3 on my first Shadows draft. Green werewolves with a splash of black for removal and Ever After and Diregraf Mob. Was very open apparent from early on so switched to it early on, everything else pretty well picked over. I really thought I would at least win the match where I got a full 5 zombies from the mob, and then some more when I pulled it from grave. Opponent just had an answer and some weird flyer just out of reach for everything. I think next draft In just grabbing every removal and counter and jail card and see if I can make a deck from those.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kinda funny how Immerwolf screws the Eldritch werewolves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Second draft off to a better start, deck has more fun things to do. I got passed several rares and mythic rares this draft. To be fair the pack I was passed (third pick from that pack) with the mythic was Sigardia, and had so much other good poo poo in it I passed it too and took the Avacyn. White and blue both seem pretty good in this set to me. Got an Advanced Stirchwing and Geralf's Masterpiece. I also went over the 40 cards to jam in the 8 mana tap 4 Eldrazi and Bruna the fading light. Forgotten creation seems fun too.

Edit: does having a 42 card deck put you in a goofball queue? Or are more people drafting right now so I actually get people my draft skill level? Won a game with 3 of my biggest threats in hand, Geralf's Masterpiece, Eldrazi, Avacyn, and the mana to cast them... But he was monoblue and had a full hand and mana on my turns, so I was playing my smaller threats hoping to bait out enough counterspells to feel safe playing my biggies. Or for them to use their mana and leave me free to cast mine. Won with just my safe bets on board, they ended up discarding a card at end of turn with no play or response to me at all? Seemed like they were trying to think of some big brain plays all game but maybe they just didn't know what was going on.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 23, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Why is every single vampire deck the best vampire deck ever made? They have like 26 first picks and always get a board full of 5/3 first strike tramplers. Half the vampires grow when they hit and they always have discard outlets to madness in removal mid combat

but seriously, why do they all have first strike?

RIP, there's 0 people in the traditional historic queue at silver right now. 5 minute queues

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 23, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Had a weird bug, went to attack phase and declared my 1 attacker... But it wouldn't register? In a panic I even hit attack all or none and idk wasn't going at all. Timer showed up and I already f4 and try to reopen and it's asking me to login but idk my.oassword off the top, probably some 2 factor process to look it up, and then I could hear my match going in the background. I tried to alt F4 out of that and I guess it somehow plopped me back in the game and I just barely made my attack. Managed a sweaty win, I had a ticking timer of death losing 1 hp per turn bc of their enchantment. I had a strong board but if I left open any room they could sneak through or use the less than 3 power can't block creature ability. So I have my big flying scary zombies on guard duty for many turns, and then have a potentially clever play using the Eldrazi and my destroy 3 or less power attacking creature. I go in for an attack and leave myself open, they have lethal just barely by attacking since next turn I'd lose the 1 final HP. They went in for attack, I sac one of my creatures to do the special summon for the Eldrazi, destroy the other threat, block/kill the main threat and tapped their lands in case they had anything extra to try after.

Game or my connection got weird again when I tried it so I was a bit spooked but it caught up in time, I did mess up my land taps and they cast something after anyway but I had more than enough to kill. Scared to draft again while my connection or game being weird though. Wonder if that was why my game 1 opponent seemed to stop playing cards at some point.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I still feel like I'm routinely beating the vampire decks, as if you can survive past turn seven or so they run out of steam in a bad way.

White and blue control is oddly viable, though had the most maddening game where I stalled out a wolf player and was very slowly pinging em' to death with a flyer.... only for them to drop Emerakul on me and win pretty decidedly. Not sure I dig that card in a draft that's otherwise so low powered.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I almost hope that happens to me because I'm dead set on using Word of command in some commander decks and someone really oughta teach me a lesson before I actually do it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.17lands.com/draft/302fd6d9ed7e469eb48e725c74773997

Ended up forcing vampires. Had to pass wild GW cards but at least I got a captain lol?

Gorgers don't seem that great even in this tribal deck... or should i play them over the wolves

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just played Emrakul and my opponent had Nezahal, Primal Tide in hand along with six other cards. I made them play Nezahal, then activated Nezahal's ability to make them discard three cards. I wanted to activate Nezahal again in response to the first activation, but it would not let me do it, nor would it let me do it at the end of the turn after Nezahal came back. Is there a reason this was the case, or was it a bug?

EDIT: Screenshot

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Also, while I’m asking questions, can anyone offer any insight as to why my newly minted stupid and terrible Emrakul hbrawl deck is getting matched up against nothing but 4 and 5 color commander decks that run all the best cards in the game?????? I swear to god I’ve played like 15 matches with this deck and no more than 3 were against a deck with less than three colors. This deck is dogshit! Why am I getting matchups like I’m playing Golos?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

scytale posted:

So I just lost an event game to someone taking advantage of the Ninja's Kunai bug. I put in a ticket about it because gently caress that guy. I see they are pretty good about refunding stuff for drafts, do they do the same for events? Was my third loss.

Yeah, when there's a bug that breaks things, in my experience they're good about refunding everyone who gets affected. I just played a few games with a Ninja's Kunai deck because it's funny, but I wouldn't do it in an event.

Ariong posted:

Also, while I’m asking questions, can anyone offer any insight as to why my newly minted stupid and terrible Emrakul hbrawl deck is getting matched up against nothing but 4 and 5 color commander decks that run all the best cards in the game?????? I swear to god I’ve played like 15 matches with this deck and no more than 3 were against a deck with less than three colors. This deck is dogshit! Why am I getting matchups like I’m playing Golos?

I think when they put a certain commander in Hell Queue, it doesn't matter how good the accompanying deck is.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
7-2 with w/r attackers. True faith censor was the mvp forgot how good that card is. I thought I was pretty good drafter of moon+shadows and it’s nice to see I can still draft them.

Also had a fun bug with a topplegeist coming back to the battlefield after my opponent made a really bad attack and then I traded with a creature enchanted with faith unbroken. My giest stayed real little and either hung out on the opponent’s side on under my apothecary geist.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Chamale posted:

I think when they put a certain commander in Hell Queue, it doesn't matter how good the accompanying deck is.
Why would Emrakul be in hell queue? It just got put in the game like 2 days ago.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ariong posted:

Why would Emrakul be in hell queue? It just got put in the game like 2 days ago.

because it's clearly a commander like baral that is mainly going to be built to make the opponent not have fun. if you're not building that deck, go make your commander kozilek or ulamog or something & put emrakul in your 99

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The pauper event is still running. I really recommend it to everybody who enjoys brewing.
Now normally you would get annoyed at boring grinders with their boring mono-r burn or mono-w aggro decks.

But now there is a different strongest deck:

More seriously the strongest actually fun decks are imo affinity and madness. And the most fun jank decks are squirrels and slivers.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I'm so tired of everyone running Shelodred and some sort of black control/midrange in standard. I'm actually coming round to some cards costing $70 each because it means you just won't see them played as much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I'm so tired of everyone running Shelodred and some sort of black control/midrange in standard. I'm actually coming round to some cards costing $70 each because it means you just won't see them played as much.

Interesting, I've been seeing way less of that lately. Are you running black cards yourself? The matchmaker seems to highly prioritize mirror matches

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Nah I'm running a mono W midrange, so I'm probably being just as annoying with my emperor's to someone else, but pretty much all my games are either vs RDW or Black+2 random colours which all run Shelodred, and most run LotV

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Mood, I can't run red aggro in the ranked queue at the moment I just hit sheoldreds and obliterators all the goddamn time.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

VictualSquid posted:

The pauper event is still running. I really recommend it to everybody who enjoys brewing.
Now normally you would get annoyed at boring grinders with their boring mono-r burn or mono-w aggro decks.

But now there is a different strongest deck:

More seriously the strongest actually fun decks are imo affinity and madness. And the most fun jank decks are squirrels and slivers.

That deck is so annoying and there’s so many other pauper cards that try to use */1’s that I’ve been running a full 4x of Fungal Infection and just wrecking people. It’s a decent trick even if you don’t get an immediate kill, then the body can also trade and get you a 2 for 1.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

precision posted:

Interesting, I've been seeing way less of that lately. Are you running black cards yourself? The matchmaker seems to highly prioritize mirror matches
Why would the matchmaker do that?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simply Simon posted:

Why would the matchmaker do that?

it doesn't

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

game 1: kept a 3 spell 4 land hand, immediately got taken to flood city where i get unceremoniously wrecked.

should i play 16 lands lol, then i'll probably just complain about getting screwed

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Lone Goat posted:

it doesn't

Bo1 play queue does match you based on deck strength and I can see a situation where mirror matches happen more frequently because they have nearly identical deck strength.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Turns out Sanitarium Skeleton is a pretty good mana sink to grind things out lol

Managed to avoid a 1-3 by defeating bruna with two vampiric furies... close call, time to climb?

Edit: nope, 2-3, went down to 16 lands and still kept flooding to death lmao

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 23, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Mood, I can't run red aggro in the ranked queue at the moment I just hit sheoldreds and obliterators all the goddamn time.

Really? I don't mind running into Monoblack at all as either monored or monored atraxas. Sheoldred puts down a clock but usually have a turn or 2 and some gas to finish off. It's Rakdos decks with that 3/2 blood boy out asap and monowhite and white/blue soldiers I just run from to save time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

it doesn't

How much of the matchmaking myths are actually programmed in the game, is there any confirmation on that? Even Brawl Hell Queue sounds like a myth to me, I suspect just masses of people running gross decks trying to win in a kinda of busted format?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

How much of the matchmaking myths are actually programmed in the game, is there any confirmation on that? Even Brawl Hell Queue sounds like a myth to me, I suspect just masses of people running gross decks trying to win in a kinda of busted format?

Brawl hellqueue is official: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/mtg-arena-announcements-june-16-2021

"Since last August, we have been tracking and weighting specific commanders in both Brawl and Historic Brawl. Our goal has been to better match players with similarly weighted commanders, keeping the challenge for competitive players while ensuring the formats remain hospitable to casual players. Players with high-powered commanders are more likely to square off against each other, and casual players not looking for that high-powered experience are more likely to face similar opponents.

This has been largely successful. With this system in place, we are now more likely to use weighting rather than banning as a tool for managing very powerful commanders. Players who still really enjoy the experience of playing with those commanders may continue to do so, and players who don't want that high-powered experience can be free from it."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Decided to do a SIR Sealed:

https://sealeddeck.tech/sBnHTuLwUT

Considering this:

lol if you don't meld twice per game, amirite

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Khanstant posted:

Really? I don't mind running into Monoblack at all as either monored or monored atraxas. Sheoldred puts down a clock but usually have a turn or 2 and some gas to finish off. It's Rakdos decks with that 3/2 blood boy out asap and monowhite and white/blue soldiers I just run from to save time.

Whether it's rakdos or grixis or monoblack doesn't make much odds when you're on the draw.

Khanstant posted:

Hell queue was confirmed by the devs IIRC (originating when Kinnan and Bridge were in standard IIRC), but exactly what's in it and how it's assigned isn't confirmed.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

New life goal: meld Brisela in my mono w aggro angels deck in hbrawl

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Meanwhile in super friends land... casting Big Kaya feels very good lol

In the Esper deck I replaced LOTV with Elspeth Resplendent, I missed that one on the first pass because I thought of it as a creature-based PW but she can dig for any of the 3-drop planeswalkers (and shield them) and the Ichormoon Gauntlet, plus ulting seems very doable

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Madness in SIR feels insane sheesh. Gotta get the right balance of free discard outlets and madness cards but when you do the decks feel unstoppable

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

New life goal: meld Brisela in my mono w aggro angels deck in hbrawl

Godspeed, good sir and/or madam

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I've paid in to two sealed pools and they are just super ugly decks. It's like aggro or bust and there's just very little synergy. Not enough werewolves, vampires, madness, humans, etc.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
7-2 with my pack 3 brisela zombies. I drew gisela, bruna, or both in eight of the games, cast bruna zero times, gisela three times (one of which she won me the game).

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Current gimmick deck idea is spell queller, elite spellbinder and soul partition with dranith magistrate, lavinia and souless jailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

rickiep00h posted:

It's a perfect snapshot of both computer RPGs and MtG at the time, with all the implications that covers.

I still have my large, over-sized Aswan Jaguar at my parents house.