Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cuttlefush posted:

is it all from fortnite

A couple, but I pissed off all of YOSPOS and gbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Smythe posted:

i once went to small claims over a car crash. some guy t boned me outside community college 9999 yrs ago and sued me for the max. for some strange reason my insurance company agreed with my plan to counter sue for the max also and theyd foot the bill. it was small claims so i represented myself amnd was like 20 years old. the judge thought it was really hosed up and pretty funny and awarded us both the full 10k so we just gave eachother 10k. well he gave me his real 10k and my insurance company gave him 10k. it got deposited into my bank account which i wired to the insurance company. it was really weird. my mom drove me to court. it was cool. the judge asked me if i wanted ot be a lawyer when i grew up. lmfao. anyways that was a long time ago. the guy also came to court with a walker and neck brace, neither of which he needed since he wasnt injured at all.

Lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

A couple, but I pissed off all of YOSPOS and gbs.

ohhh is that why that guy in the musk thread was mad at you? lol

i post with avatars turned off so I forget that some people literally see you as glenn greenwald lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I almost feel like there's some kind of institutional money protection bubble around Musk because of the SpaceX and Starlink poo poo. Like because so much of his 'worth' is tied up in the idea that he's a genius, they're not allowing him to have the kind of big public failure he should rightly be having by now. or maybe making it happen slowly over time so they can get that big government money elsewhere.

He has defense and intelligence in roads yeah. Starlink has been found to be used by "rebel groups" in Latin America and was rolled pit for Ukraine.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/keishaydavis/status/1636128095911530496?s=20

nobody wants to work anymore

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

facebook pays recruiters $190,000???

FAANG companies exist to give money to people with the right backgrounds (parents wealthy/white enough to get them into top ten schools)

It's insanely funny that people think these companies are full of the best and brightest minds we have to offer. They're just support structures for the children of the biggest used car dealership owners in Waukegan or whatever

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Man Roadhouse is a great movie

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

Man Roadhouse is a great movie

The director of Roadhouse is from Pittsburgh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowdy_Herrington

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why do you have to ruin everything?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

axgrap can we get data analysis visuals on posts mentioning "pittsburgh" and "outback"

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

private jet manufacturing seems to be going great

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1638894697052528640

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
It feels like a big chunk of SV tech could do layoffs and not materially impact unemployment/jobs numbers because so much of it was literally hoarding talent that will filter out to less insanely compensated position in other industries.

Not great for upward mobility for workers but like even with all the fake job openings there is still a strong demand for talent, just not at FAANG compensation levels.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The biggest parts of the SV 'tech' economy aren't really tech companies.

Google is an advertising company.

Facebook is a box that turns grandma into a racist

Amazon is a retailer

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
so who's the shmuck? the person paying off their credit cards in full every month? or the person doing the lowest monthly payments with ever greater debt till they die?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

so who's the shmuck? the person paying off their credit cards in full every month? or the person doing the lowest monthly payments with ever greater debt till they die?

you might think the latter is the smarter one, but only if they can correctly predict when they'll die

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The biggest parts of the SV 'tech' economy aren't really tech companies.

Google is an advertising company.

Facebook is a box that turns grandma into a racist

Amazon is a retailer

the most tech related stuff they do is designing and building the computing infrastructure they need to support their primary businesses, yeah. though in amazon's case i wouldn't be surprised if aws was their biggest source of income these days, so i guess they would qualify as a tech company then

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FAANG companies exist to give money to people with the right backgrounds (parents wealthy/white enough to get them into top ten schools)

It's insanely funny that people think these companies are full of the best and brightest minds we have to offer. They're just support structures for the children of the biggest used car dealership owners in Waukegan or whatever

I wonder where the divide is between that and other forms of patronage. Are they the same people who go to Georgetown or West Point, and it's just a difference of personality that determines what stream they enter, or do different families send their kids to different institutions that do more or less the same thing, be they staff officers, academics, political staffers, consultants or FAANG based on region or something?

I guess I'm asking if it's a Yankee/Cowboy divide?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

is it all from fortnite

lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i dont know of many people that can afford to pay off the cc balances entirely every monthly in fact i dont know of any

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the most tech related stuff they do is designing and building the computing infrastructure they need to support their primary businesses, yeah. though in amazon's case i wouldn't be surprised if aws was their biggest source of income these days, so i guess they would qualify as a tech company then

aws is the only reason amazon still exists

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

anywhere between a third and half of the entire internet runs on it

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

we should probably make the education cost more so that it's seen as more valuable then people will flock

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

HallelujahLee posted:

i dont know of many people that can afford to pay off the cc balances entirely every monthly in fact i dont know of any

I know a family who does this because the husband made a decent living as a private pilot for a wealthy family. Until he had a rough landing and some other oopsies and the family dropped him and now he's doing other pilot stuff but not doing nearly as well and they are falling behind because they haven't adjusted their lifestyle at all. The wife just spends spends spends with no regard for anything because its all credit and he takes care of it at the end of the month, which won't be happening as easily now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

All time highs

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

triple sulk posted:

aws is the only reason amazon still exists

yeah i just looked and it's the only division they have which is actually profitable. but i suspect they deliberately run the retail side of things at a loss to gain market share, so it could be profitable if they wanted it to be

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I know a family who does this because the husband made a decent living as a private pilot for a wealthy family. Until he had a rough landing and some other oopsies and the family dropped him and now he's doing other pilot stuff but not doing nearly as well and they are falling behind because they haven't adjusted their lifestyle at all. The wife just spends spends spends with no regard for anything because its all credit and he takes care of it at the end of the month, which won't be happening as easily now

i know someone that used to do this but they can no longer afford the whole paying them off at the end of the month

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My wife makes a point to do it. I never understood it because credit card debt makes me sick to my stomach so I never use mine. She checks her credit rating a few times a week and makes sure to never carry a balance of more than 33% or something, but also makes sure to use her card often for things like packs of gum so she can pay it off at the end of the month.

I don't know, I hate them, I don't know why people have them.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

My wife makes a point to do it. I never understood it because credit card debt makes me sick to my stomach so I never use mine. She checks her credit rating a few times a week and makes sure to never carry a balance of more than 33% or something, but also makes sure to use her card often for things like packs of gum so she can pay it off at the end of the month.

because the entire credit system is a way to keep people in perpetual debt thats the entire reason it exists and it gets worse and worse because almost no-one in the us has any disposable income

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I almost feel like there's some kind of institutional money protection bubble around Musk because of the SpaceX and Starlink poo poo. Like because so much of his 'worth' is tied up in the idea that he's a genius, they're not allowing him to have the kind of big public failure he should rightly be having by now. or maybe making it happen slowly over time so they can get that big government money elsewhere.

the only way this system can keep pretending it's possible to keep going like it has been is because of trusting "visionaries" like musk who want to pretend we can keep inventing new things that let us consume more and more and make number go up

it's like the economists who say that the laws of thermodynamics don't apply because we can keep "decoupling" economic activity from physical production and consumption of resources - i.e. rent seeking

of course all of the actual technological (even putting aside the more difficult political and social) problems that need to be solved are mostly beyond the ability or desire of the market to solve over the short term so they won't receive the resources they need to actually get done

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

because it unlocks like half the perks of capitalism

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

HallelujahLee posted:

i know someone that used to do this but they can no longer afford the whole paying them off at the end of the month

the same way we drilled into people's head that you should not spend more than 33% of your income on rent, people should know that the minimum payment on a CC should never exceed 5% to 10% of your monthly income. Going above that means your getting further away from the possibility of ever repaying it. Instead people think: "I have X extra per month after paying essentials (rent, utilities and food), that means I can go up to X amount per month as minimum payments and still be ok!"

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

I put absolutely everything through credit cards and pay them all off at the end of the month, I get a shitload of free Amazon and Costco bucks from doing this.

I haven't actually used cash or a debit card in well over a decade

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know why people have them.

only way to buy an SA account or Steam Games at the time

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Amazon reward dollars are worthless now that Amazon is essentially a Aliexpress drop ship website, but hey

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

interviews are so poo poo right now if you can even get one with companies dragging the processes out to ridiculous levels. i have to self-therapy by reading r/recruitinghell and other places to get validation and try and not lose my mind

i started with one place almost a month and a half ago and have had three conversations thus far, never mind that two of them were with c/vp-level people who should have been able to suss me out. i was supposed to get an update almost two weeks ago which turned into an update by two days ago because of how long they've supposedly been taking to "finish interviews." they might just be afraid to turn me down but at that point just don't even reply to my emails.

the best part is that the job would likely be anywhere from a $20-30k cut from what i made previously because it's an employer's market and job seekers have zero leverage. america owns.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ah the halcyon days of getting a free hat with a credit card signup

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

only way to buy an SA account or Steam Games at the time

lmao but u right

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

you might think the latter is the smarter one, but only if they can correctly predict when they'll die

yah i basically treat it like cash, always tracked it so i got good credit. plus nowadays they send you checks to take out cash loans against your credit card?

I put absolutely everything through credit cards and pay them all off at the end of the month, I get a shitload of free Amazon and Costco bucks from doing this.

I haven't actually used cash or a debit card in well over a decade

:same:, well except at cash only places

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

yeah i just looked and it's the only division they have which is actually profitable. but i suspect they deliberately run the retail side of things at a loss to gain market share, so it could be profitable if they wanted it to be

Their advertising operations are distinct from AWS, right? I believe advertising has been successful for them too.

Amazon used to be notorious for investing back into its infrastructure, which would be at the cost of retail business profitability. I'm not sure if that is still the excuse now. If e-commerce generally picks back up, the numbers might look better for that branch of the business.

I'd like to know how much burning money on stuff like Rings of Power and sinking money into Alexa devices also eroded the bottom line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If you have a cash back or travel point credit card, putting everyday spending on it and paying it off at the end of the month is fine. Just be aware the credit card companies are trying to trap you into carrying a balance.