Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’ll be a bit later and I’ll find you on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

I haven't read it in awhile, but aren't the monsters in At the Mountains of Madness giant skinless penguins?

There are giant penguins in Mountians (which were actually-existing prehistoric birds), but they’re basically just pests in the setting. The actual aliens are crinoids - plantlike animals.

The crinoids are unlike most humans in that they exhibit pentaradial symmetry, but the big joke of the story is that they’re otherwise extremely similar. Psychologically human, as noted before.

Even the shoggoths are, like, whatever. Like, yes, it’s bad to be eaten, but that’s not the focus of the story at all.

The nerd misinterpretation is that we must suit up and do battle against what are ultimately just large animals and alien people, while Lovecraft’s actual point was that humans exist by accident and extinction is a near-inevitably. The crinoids are ‘more advanced’, but taken out by systemic inequality and climate change. There’s also an unspoken implication that the crinoid myth may be the basis for biblical angels.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Yo I’d love one AvP pls

Which one? :v:

Done.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

That Wikipedia article basically backs up SMG's point in a less interesting way. Lovecraftian horror is about knowledge and what it might do to you, not the monster.

More specifically, the knowledge of just how insignificant you and everything you value are.

The monsters aren't scary because they hate you, or want to kill you. They are scary because they represent a universe that does not give a poo poo about you. You are not special. Nothing you do matters. You will have no legacy. The universe doesn't even muster the energy to dislike you, because you are beneath its notice.

The horror is nihilism.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I posted to the FPS thread in Games and the Aliens thread in GBS to see if I can’t rustle up more goons for some AvP :getin:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Perhaps a discord for some voice chat would be cool. I’m FastestGunAlive#7015. There’s the goon co op server, I don’t run it, that might be ideal. But open to using others as well

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dienes posted:

More specifically, the knowledge of just how insignificant you and everything you value are.

The monsters aren't scary because they hate you, or want to kill you. They are scary because they represent a universe that does not give a poo poo about you. You are not special. Nothing you do matters. You will have no legacy. The universe doesn't even muster the energy to dislike you, because you are beneath its notice.

The horror is nihilism.

It's not really that, though. Basic-rear end nihilism is easy and, as Tuxedo Catfish observed, even comforting. (In Prometheus, the nihilist loser is Holloway.)

Go back to The Beast In The Cave, and the protagonist begins the story with that sort of attitude, already lost in the darkness.

The two things that cut through that poo poo are the intervention of the tour guide (who has spent four hours searching the cave for the protagonist and, pointedly, carries the only literal light in the story) and the reveal that the monster is 'just' a man cut off from society. In the homeless man's backstory, he's likely to have been a tuberculosis patient from a now-abandoned sanatorium - sent up to the local cave under the theory that the cool air might treat the disease.

This isn't moralism, because there really isn't any moral to the story, but the final stance towards this leper is unmistakably Christian: "fear left, and wonder, awe, compassion, and reverence succeeded in its place, for the sounds uttered by the stricken figure that lay stretched out on the limestone had told us the awesome truth." Ecce homo, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

I posted to the FPS thread in Games and the Aliens thread in GBS to see if I can’t rustle up more goons for some AvP :getin:

I think my ancient (circa 2016) laptop can run AvP Classic.

Edit: timby365 on Steam.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 23, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I have AvP Classic on GoG, but is that going to work for multiplayer with Steam or should I just pay the $1.25 or whatever it is? Do they add some Steam networking driver in the game?

Edit: apparently they are different but supposedly there’s a cross play compatibility patch that was rolled out so Steam and GoG users can play against each other

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 23, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Which one? :v:

Done.

Classic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The good one

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

I think my ancient (circa 2016) laptop can run AvP Classic.

Edit: timby365 on Steam.

I (think?) I just added you as a friend.

I think I just added you too (it was the only "celticpredator" with an Invader Zim icon).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

Yep, that's me with a photo that was taken for headshots back in 2006.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

Yep, that's me with a photo that was taken for headshots back in 2006.
AvP gifted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I think I just added you too (it was the only "celticpredator" with an Invader Zim icon).

That would be me but I may or may not remember that password lol. Pm me your name and stuff

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Yeeehaw! Thanks for the gift, because I sure can't find my disc anyway to even try that way. Will be giving it a go first thing in the morning to ensure it runs smoothly here and I'm not wasting someone's spot.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FastestGunAlive posted:

Perhaps a discord for some voice chat would be cool. I’m FastestGunAlive#7015. There’s the goon co op server, I don’t run it, that might be ideal. But open to using others as well

Totally missed this, I just friended you. I'm Xenomrph#2683

Edit-- :siren: LAST CALL to claim an AvP game or Alien Isolation, I'm going to bed in ONE HOUR. :siren: SMG I’m looking at you!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 23, 2023

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I was able to host an AvP Classic match earlier for some players but I have a few questions for game modes. What are some of the best ones and best maps? And should I set it the move speed to 70%? I feel it plays a little less chaotically then. I’m coming from AVP2 and it has been about 17 years since I last played it lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Space Jam posted:

I was able to host an AvP Classic match earlier for some players but I have a few questions for game modes. What are some of the best ones and best maps? And should I set it the move speed to 70%? I feel it plays a little less chaotically then. I’m coming from AVP2 and it has been about 17 years since I last played it lol

God I don’t even remember, I haven’t played AvP multiplayer in an extremely long time, I don’t even remember what modes it has. Maybe I’ll screw around with it after work today.

Also I’ve got a guy in the FPS thread saying he wants in but he wants to know how we’re coordinating all this. I said “I don’t know :v:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Steam invite sent. I ended up giving Valve $1.24 of my hard earned money to prevent any weirdness with trying to use the GoG cross play thing

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Also I’ve got a guy in the FPS thread saying he wants in but he wants to know how we’re coordinating all this. I said “I don’t know :v:

Nah this is just a bunch of old men yelling at a computer to do what they want

e: looking for server info and running in circles here

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 23, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

God I don’t even remember, I haven’t played AvP multiplayer in an extremely long time, I don’t even remember what modes it has. Maybe I’ll screw around with it after work today.

You could make a steam group and invite everyone into it, that would let you send out group messages/invites and have a group chat channel for live coordination. Just a thought.

It's been a hot minute (read: 20+ years :v: ) but the game has some dope modes, I recall two survivor maps where player Marines and Predators fight against endless waves of NPC Aliens, and a cool take on zombie mode where the map starts with all Marines and one Alien, and every time the Alien kills a Marine they respawn as an Alien.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
One of the survival maps has you wandering through a canyon to a bunker, right? That’s my only MP memory from that game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

One of the survival maps has you wandering through a canyon to a bunker, right? That’s my only MP memory from that game.

Yep, that’s the only survival map I even remember :v:

McSpanky posted:

You could make a steam group and invite everyone into it, that would let you send out group messages/invites and have a group chat channel for live coordination. Just a thought.
How do you do Steam groups? I don’t think I’ve ever done it before.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
AvP Gold was the first FPS ever to have a what's now called horde or survival mode in the FPS genre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which I played all the time in that cool rocky level

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
After seeing how cheap they are I picked up and (re- in the case of 2000)tried both 2000 and 2010 and the experience just left me even more keenly missing AvP2.

Original AvP is great, but being able to run a million miles an hour but still only perform short bunny hops makes me miss the freedom of 2's pounce, the glass cannon nature of the alien is annoying to play around, and it feels like every second enemy is carrying a molotov cocktail with a dead man's switch such that combat leaves me desperately shoveling human viscera into my mouth in hopes that the healing will outpace the fire damage.

Meanwhile, I appreciate 2010's more methodical stealth-based gameplay, but it feels like I'm controlling an RTS unit from a first-person perspective rather than playing as a character. I'm basically pointing and clicking on walls or enemies to tell my guy to go there, or using the "interact" button to do something as simple as pass through the entrance to a vent. I'm willing to be persuaded that the rock-paper-scissors melee combat is interesting in multiplayer but it amounts to a rolling quick time event in a lot of single player and can also feel really slow and clunky, especially when a strong attack just send you sailing past an enemy that gets to hit you from behind while you regain control of your character and get your bearings.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

david_a posted:

:same:

The bunker was the best and yeah, the only MP memory I have of that game.

edit: Hi everyone. I've played AvP 2010 and Aliens Fireteam Elite with a few goons posting in here. I have AvP Classic on steam but haven't tried running it yet.

edit2: I tried it and I can't get my mouse to work at all, not much info on it

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 24, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just spoke with Andrew Gaska, he answered some of my questions:

Terminator 2 RPG Kickstarter goes live in 5 days

Yes the Terminator RPG references Future Shock and Resistance

Yes the Alien stinger-tail is in the Alien RPG

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So having finished the AVP 2010 xenomorph campaign, I can report:

1. The feeling of giving orders to an RTS unit and just crossing your fingers and hoping that it obeys you doesn't really get better.

2. It's kind of funny how the only idea the writers seemed to have for things for the alien to do is variations on the scene in Aliens in which Hicks freaks out about the aliens cutting the power. Like you're receiving telepathic instructions from a thousand-year-old alien matriarch but they're to depower an electric fence, shut down a radio tower, etc. Except that said matriarch decided to build her nest in an abandoned foundry filled with combustibles and explosions that the marine protagonist eventually uses to incinerate her, so it's like the xenomorphs are masters of electrical engineering but don't know the first thing about chemistry.

In general, the game is clearly inspired by the first Alien vs. Predator movie, in which Lance Henriksen makes some questionable decisions all so an alien with a distinctive forehead decal can do wrestling moves on predators.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Xenomrph posted:

Just spoke with Andrew Gaska, he answered some of my questions:

Terminator 2 RPG Kickstarter goes live in 5 days

Yes the Terminator RPG references Future Shock and Resistance

Yes the Alien stinger-tail is in the Alien RPG

Are these tabletop games?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leave posted:

Are these tabletop games?

Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Free-League-Publishing-Alien-RPG/dp/9188805557/

https://www.amazon.com/Word-Forge-Games-Terminator-Rulebook/dp/173976272X/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

How do you do Steam groups? I don’t think I’ve ever done it before.

Click on your name in the main Steam window, then on Groups; in the Groups screen on the left there's a Create Group link.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat gonna have to spend some money on a Terminator RPG now.

...I really should just put out my Total Recall fan one before they snatch up that license up, too.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

It's kind of funny how the only idea the writers seemed to have for things for the alien to do is variations on the scene in Aliens in which Hicks freaks out about the aliens cutting the power.

Hudson, sir. He's Hicks.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

SUNKOS posted:

Hudson, sir. He's Hicks.

Daaayuuum, that was a solid set up pitch and a home run - intentional or not.

Woot - Turns out, I ended up with the day off work unexpectedly and absolutely nothing on my plate. So far, going to pick up a copy of The Last Ronin and read through it today, run a few errands, and be ready for some AvP goodness tonight.

We gonna get a steam group going? I suppose Xeno or Space Jim are best suited to set up a group, since people have been adding them?

Happy to do it myself as well, since I have the day to myself and will be able to get back and make sure things set up prior to game time without hassle. If either of ya wanna go that route let me know, redhammer in Steam.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I won’t be home until 4 PST but I should have time before game time, unless Space Jim wants to do it first.

I reserved us a chat room in the Coop Goons discord if we wanted to go that route too.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I won’t be home until 4 PST but I should have time before game time, unless Space Jim wants to do it first.

I reserved us a chat room in the Coop Goons discord if we wanted to go that route too.

Cool, post that discord info later. As for the Steam group if somebody wants to do that that’s fine, my day is busy until tonight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Space Jam posted:

Cool, post that discord info later. As for the Steam group if somebody wants to do that that’s fine, my day is busy until tonight.

Here’s the discord server, I think you need to “authenticate” to use the voice channels

https://discord.gg/Z6XtvqMk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Stop your grinnin and drop your linen, we suit up in an hour.