Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Re war with China chat from yesterday - my wife's grandma lived through WW2 and likes to tell stories, like

- Everything up to and including gasoline rationed
- People were asked to take the bumpers off their cars and send them in so the government could strip the chrome off them for war use
- No new cars to buy for five or six years, at all
- Wanna buy fresh vegetables? Tough poo poo, go grow them in your back yard

The modern American middle class has no life besides consumption, if a new Ram 1500 Classic Warlock Edition truck isn't available for them to buy every year we will see open revolt. None of the poo poo you need to do to win a war is even remotely plausible in the US anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

We asked Americans to stay indoors and not go to restaurants or shop for six weeks and they had a fuckin' conniption fit and accepted over a million deaths as an acceptable price to pay for treats, we ain't ever winning a war again. lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Give me Applebee's or give me death.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
BoE says inflation is high, but over.
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1638903788323889152?t=h4C9wC_rITNPKD8uvSzRuQ&s=19

Housing market is hot!
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1638904747863465991?t=6bdVyH_4pbMJneoAJcsiSw&s=19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We asked Americans to stay indoors and not go to restaurants or shop for six weeks and they had a fuckin' conniption fit.

A helpful goon found some quotes from previous pandemics, and it's always been this way, HTH

Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

A helpful goon found some quotes from previous pandemics, and it's always been this way, HTH

The government power that was in place in the past to enforce the rules and set a common course has been thoroughly gutted. HTH

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

V. Illych L. posted:

don't ask me why, but elevator techs in general seem to be ridiculously well organised. this is the case at least in norway, denmark and france and now it seems to also be true in the US. i have literally no idea why this would be the case, though.

So why'd they go from a guy in a spiffy red coat who knew how to fix it on site to having to call some blue collar millionaire whose three hours away?

I guess maybe they stopped breaking as much. Anyways in my insane pipe dream the on-site elevator tech is making the same as the doctor and the life guard. $55 K.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
US government vaccinated people for small pox at gunpoint.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

don't ask me why, but elevator techs in general seem to be ridiculously well organised. this is the case at least in norway, denmark and france and now it seems to also be true in the US. i have literally no idea why this would be the case, though.

Elevator techs have a job that has incredible, incredible potential for danger, that is wedged against clueless 0 danger job people whose fight or flight response has been deeply rewired to see lost time as an existential threat

If they weren't unionized they'd be too susceptible to pressure from clients and would have way too many accidents

One of the most horrifying things I've ever seen on the internet was a video of a cruise ship elevator tech getting crushed to death; you couldn't pay me enough to do that job in a place where some middle manager rear end in a top hat could undo your lockout and turn on the crusher. gently caress that.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember the last ten years and america not being able to build anything and everything's falling apart? Sure the US can beat China.

Obviously the grift and rot hasn't touched the mic and our near trillion dollar defense budget has been very wisely used on men and materials, not lining lockmarts or EBs pockets.

Apr 7, 2003

it's me, the littoral combat ship class that's dissolving because they were built without sacrificial anodes

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

just a few more 50% raises and I'll be in a home by my mid forties

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

it's me, the littoral combat ship class that's dissolving because they were built without sacrificial anodes

lmfao wait really

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

lmfao wait really

Builder Blames Navy as Brand-New Warship Disintegrates

quote:

The afflicted vessel is USS Independence, the second in the sailing branch's fleet of fast, reconfigurable Littoral Combat Ships. Eventually, these ships are supposed to be the workhorses" of tomorrow's Navy.

As Bloomberg reported, the Navy has discovered "aggressive" corrosion around Independence's engines. The problem is so bad that the barely year-old ship will have to be laid up in a San Diego drydock so workers can replace whole chunks of her hull.

In contrast to the first LCS, the steel-hulled USS Freedom, *Independence *is made mostly of aluminum. And that's one root of the ship's ailment.

Corrosion is a $23-billion-a-year problem in the equipment-heavy U.S. military. But Independence's decay isn't a case of mere oxidation, which can usually be prevented by careful maintenance and cleaning. No, the 418-foot-long warship is dissolving due to one whopper of a design flaw.

There are technical terms for this kind of disintegration. Austal USA, Independence's Alabama-based builder, calls it "galvanic corrosion." Civilian scientists know it as "electrolysis." It's what occurs when "two dissimilar metals, after being in electrical contact with one another, corrode at different rates," Austal explained in a statement.

"That suggests to me the metal is completely gone, not rusted," naval analyst Raymond Pritchett wrote of Independence's problem.

Independence's corrosion is concentrated in her water jets -- shipboard versions of airplane engines -- where steel "impeller housings" come in contact with the surrounding aluminum structure. Electrical charges possibly originating in the ship's combat systems apparently sparked the electrolysis.

It's not clear why Austal and the Navy didn't see this coming. Austal has built hundreds of aluminum ferries for civilian customers. The Navy, for its part, has operated mixed aluminum-and-steel warships in the past.

But Independence -- the Navy's first triple-hull combatant -- could be a special case for both the builder and the operator. For all Austal's chops building civilian ferries, the Australian company is new to the warship business. Austal set up shop near Mobile in 1999. Today, the shipyard has contracts to build 10 LCS, plus several catamaran transports for the Navy.

From the Navy's point of view, Independence and the other Littoral Combat Ships are unique. As in, uniquely cheap. Each vessel is supposed to cost just $400 million, compared to more than a billion bucks for a larger, all-steel Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.

Lots of things -- major weapons, for one -- have been left off the LCS in order to keep the price down. The list of deleted items includes something called a "Cathodic Protection System," which is designed to prevent electrolysis.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've been seeing news coverage for years that the Navy has cut back to skeleton crews all around, newer ships are designed for smaller crews, and there's just not enough sailors around anymore to maintain them.

It's weird that we keep buying these ships and making contractors rich instead of keeping more sailors around, building expertise and maintaining things.

https://gcaptain.com/us-navy-released-worst-rust-photo-to-date/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

there's like three guys doing actual work in this country and everyone else is just sending each other emails lol

teachers nurses and moms are all doing work

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

teachers nurses and moms are all doing work

thank you for taking my post literally you moron

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Here's more for people who don't click

https://twitter.com/manimota/status/1131343812025081856

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

It's weird that we keep buying these ships and making contractors rich instead of keeping more sailors around, building expertise and maintaining things.

FF has posted about this a lot but neoliberalism is fundamentally incompatible with the concept of a military as a long-term institution that you're supposed to keep running in decent shape for many years even if you never "use" it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

median house being 440k does not seem good

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

just change the us flag colors to orange white and blue, and we can say the ships are flying a patriotic color

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

the great brown stars and stripes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

alarumklok posted:

the great brown stars and stripes

:itwaspoo:

Apr 7, 2003

lol our tools for force projection are rotting in full view of the world. that rules so much

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

median house being 440k does not seem good

median family income $67,521

HUD affordability guidelines are no more than 3x gross yearly income

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Corn Pop still hasn't forgiven my student loans.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1638906077919191041

lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lololol

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Nice and hot piss posted:

Corn Pop still hasn't forgiven my student loans.

he has forgotten about them though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
galvanic corrosion had been a solved problem since the 17th century at the minimum and the navy hosed it up

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

War and Pieces posted:

How many public pools & beaches are without lifeguards these days?

The lake near my last place has no lifeguards and they ripped out the old lifeguard towers last time they remodeled the park. No less than 3 people drown in that lake every summer.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

just make him say "funds are safe" itll give it away instantly

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I decided to fact check this whole "food inflation" media conspiracy by looking at a Mint account I hadn't logged into in a while. We're actually spending roughly the same amount we did on food per month as we did in 2018. So ha!

Of course, we used to go to nice restaurants and get drinks and appetizers and poo poo once a week. Now we order takeout twice a week at cheaper places like Vietnamese or Peruvian chicken. We used to buy lunch at the office every day. We've been WFH shut-ins since COVID started. Used to do more frozen meals and whatnot. Now we buy and cook food in bulk. Still spending the same money though!

Apr 7, 2003

We were out and about yesterday and got two chicken sandwich combos at Wendy's because we were in a hurry. It was $22 and change. At that price I just don't bother with fast food at all

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

We were out and about yesterday and got two chicken sandwich combos at Wendy's because we were in a hurry. It was $22 and change. At that price I just don't bother with fast food at all

I've said it a few times, but the last time I got Wendy's, sometime in February, it was $12, and it made me remember how I was thinking $8 was too much six weeks earlier in December.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

jumping on the wendy's is too expensive train

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

employers that do real things are still woefully understaffed. there are plenty of jobs that suck because they are physically unpleasant and or physically hard. the pay is a mixed bag.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know, I hate them, I don't know why people have them.

Because it essentially reduces the price of everything by 2-5%

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Frosted Flake posted:

My wife makes a point to do it. I never understood it because credit card debt makes me sick to my stomach so I never use mine. She checks her credit rating a few times a week and makes sure to never carry a balance of more than 33% or something, but also makes sure to use her card often for things like packs of gum so she can pay it off at the end of the month.

I don't know, I hate them, I don't know why people have them.

most of (non-anglo) europe doesn't bother with credit cards, just debit cards

credit cards have higher fees (which powers the cashback shite obviously) so nobody really wants to accept them here (because then they would have higher fees)

the whole USA point-maxxing thing seems so stupid, you get "free money" but obviously its not actually free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

median family income $67,521

HUD affordability guidelines are no more than 3x gross yearly income

those affordability guidelines are just as relevant as the disability jobs like egg picker and dowel rod inspector