Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

Because it essentially reduces the price of everything by 2-5%

also most Americans do not make enough to live an American lifestyle, so they just have a credit card payment every month for the rest of their lives to fill in the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Where's the twitter post that says "white collar work is now people saying "glurp me on shitto because slack is down so I can't brongo will about the timesheets for the jantanglez app"" because I want to make a moderately funny quip about all of those companies having 10000 employees

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what happened with the last company they exposed, the Indian billionaire? Did they make bank short selling or did the stock recover?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Amazon reward dollars are worthless now that Amazon is essentially a Aliexpress drop ship website, but hey

I used amazon cash back on prime for groceries constantly since their generic brand stuff was a bit better than walmart's and their name brand stuff is exactly the same price and quality as every other name brand stuff. then bezos raised the free delivery from $35 to $150 because he's a piece of poo poo

also re: credit cards, they're interest free for 18-20 months so you might as well take advantage of that. we just put our badly needed siding onto interest free cards because i was worried that just saving up the cash would have us end up paying way more due to inflation

also don't forget about running up 60-70k in CC debt and either fleeing the country or declaring BK. its free money!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

The lake near my last place has no lifeguards and they ripped out the old lifeguard towers last time they remodeled the park. No less than 3 people drown in that lake every summer.

sounds like well over 99% of lake visits were not drownings, lifeguards were a waste

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

most of (non-anglo) europe doesn't bother with credit cards, just debit cards

credit cards have higher fees (which powers the cashback shite obviously) so nobody really wants to accept them here (because then they would have higher fees)

the whole USA point-maxxing thing seems so stupid, you get "free money" but obviously its not actually free

oh IIRC most of EU doesn't have credit ratings either lol. in NL they can only register a _very_ limited subset of poo poo you owe and are delinquent on.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

most of (non-anglo) europe doesn't bother with credit cards, just debit cards

credit cards have higher fees (which powers the cashback shite obviously) so nobody really wants to accept them here (because then they would have higher fees)

the whole USA point-maxxing thing seems so stupid, you get "free money" but obviously its not actually free

the maximum allowable interest on European CCs is way lower. I know in Switzerland it's illegal to charge more than 12% under any circumstances, so it's not worth it for banks to offer large incentives. My card gives me rewards points with my grocery store, and that's the best I can do.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I used amazon cash back on prime for groceries constantly since their generic brand stuff was a bit better than walmart's and their name brand stuff is exactly the same price and quality as every other name brand stuff. then bezos raised the free delivery from $35 to $150 because he's a piece of poo poo

also re: credit cards, they're interest free for 18-20 months so you might as well take advantage of that. we just put our badly needed siding onto interest free cards because i was worried that just saving up the cash would have us end up paying way more due to inflation

also don't forget about running up 60-70k in CC debt and either fleeing the country or declaring BK. its free money!

when i was a student in england i moved into a house where apparently each of the last 4 guys (foreign students) living there had done exactly that, borrowed a shitton and fled the country, pro move. downside was we got all the letters from the banks getting progressively more pissed off about wanting their money back

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

when i was a student in england i moved into a house where apparently each of the last 4 guys (foreign students) living there had done exactly that, borrowed a shitton and fled the country, pro move. downside was we got all the letters from the banks getting progressively more pissed off about wanting their money back

lmao hell yeah

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

what happened with the last company they exposed, the Indian billionaire? Did they make bank short selling or did the stock recover?

From an article published today:

"At last count, Adani was worth $58.90 billion, down from $150 billion in September last year."

WhatAGreatCountry
Mar 21, 2023

by Pragmatica

also most Americans do not make enough to live an American lifestyle, so they just have a credit card payment every month for the rest of their lives to fill in the gap.

that was they 'heyday' (re:horrible ghetto poverty) of the first housing bubble back in 05. most of those people when bankrupt in 09 and never touched credit (in its entirety) for the rest of their lives (see: mostly cracked out boomers). the latest american lifestyle is trying to obtain clean sheets of cardboard (for your spot on the sidewalk) to survive the night.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

WhatAGreatCountry posted:

that was they 'heyday' (re:horrible ghetto poverty) of the first housing bubble back in 05. most of those people when bankrupt in 09 and never touched credit (in its entirety) for the rest of their lives (see: mostly cracked out boomers). the latest american lifestyle is trying to obtain clean sheets of cardboard (for your spot on the sidewalk) to survive the night.

don't be hyperbolic.

clean cardboard is abundant and most people can afford a tent to hide in a ditch on the side of the highway

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

During the last housing crisis it was HELOCs that people were using to live above their means, this time around it's cash out refis apparently

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/business/economy-boom-times.html

You don't even need to read between the lines, they outright say it:

quote:

For the 158 million who are employed, prospects haven’t been this bright since men landed on the moon. As many as half of those workers have retirement accounts that were fattened by a prolonged bull market in stocks. There are 83 million owner-occupied homes in the United States. At the rate they have been increasing in value, a lot of them are in effect a giant piggy bank that families live inside.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

webcams for christ posted:

the maximum allowable interest on European CCs is way lower. I know in Switzerland it's illegal to charge more than 12% under any circumstances, so it's not worth it for banks to offer large incentives. My card gives me rewards points with my grocery store, and that's the best I can do.

in NL they would really prefer that you just pay your CC monthly, they deliberately make it hard to keep a rolling balance on your CC. not entirely sure why tbh? probably legal or regulatory because obviously they would make money from it if they did change you interest

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The biggest parts of the SV 'tech' economy aren't really tech companies.

Google is an advertising company.

Facebook is a box that turns grandma into a racist

Amazon is a retailer

Yeah but those are major customers for most actual tech companies (takes a lot of datacenters to reach 1 billion grandmas). Contraction in the bullshit sectors of the economy eventually trickles down elsewhere since at the end of the day that was a huge amount of money being sloshed around and now it's slowed.

Even firms that did not overhire (or which contracted) during the last 3 years are having hiring freezes and layoffs, even if they are profitable. There was growth, and now there is less growth, hence moloch demands a sacrifice.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Morbus posted:

don't be hyperbolic.

clean cardboard is abundant and most people can afford a tent to hide in a ditch on the side of the highway

did leon finally get run off

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

more detail on the Wells Notice from yesterday

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1638924604436512769https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1638924918317281285

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Whaaaat no way

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

euphronius posted:

teachers nurses and moms are all doing work

theres also like those four furries who run the entire internet backbone in the us

Morbus
May 18, 2004

getting in on this while i still can

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lmao

Sounds like they intentionally jacked up the maintenance cost so they charge for the service. Such efficiency!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/democracyatwrk/status/1637810635013496835?t=XfwNOCqRrMnUPrv49S8_DA&s=19
https://twitter.com/democracyatwrk/status/1638719714817118208?t=aMW3mTKhTrkV70m-Q_B1yg&s=19
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1637551722502529025?t=NWvVEO4YqxUJUAVcJ-iQmg&s=19

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Amazon reward dollars are worthless now that Amazon is essentially a Aliexpress drop ship website, but hey

If you have chase's amazon cc you can apply the rewards to a payment on the card.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Amazon becoming a shittier eBay is pretty funny though.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

We were out and about yesterday and got two chicken sandwich combos at Wendy's because we were in a hurry. It was $22 and change. At that price I just don't bother with fast food at all

Wendy's still has 4 for $4 and a $5 meal

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
drake no: Chinese products with Chinese names
drake yes: Chinese products with American names

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Amazon becoming a shittier eBay is pretty funny though.

you have always been able to get actual deals on ebay if you're patient, just look for the pictures that look like they were taken by real people instead of objects floating in a white void

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

oh yah, that reminds me:

quote:

A royal banquet at the Palace of Versailles planned for King Charles is forced to be relocated due to continuous threats of violence in Paris.

The banquet was planned for Monday.

Protests have been sweeping France’s capital this week in direct response to President Emmanuel Macron’s decision to force the divisive bill raising the retirement age from 62 to 64 through without a vote in parliament.

As political unrest continues to tear through the city, preventative measures are being taken ahead of the King’s upcoming State Visit to France — his first as monarch.

Macron’s aide told news broadcaster BFM TV that the lavish dinner can no longer take place at the planned venue.

“The dinner between Charles III and Emmanuel Macron, planned for Monday, may not be held at Versailles, as initially planned,” the president’s aide told the outlet.

lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

It's hilarious how long we let the blatantly illegal things just continue to operate and fleece people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/SquawkStreet/status/1638938575483072513?t=bL-SKhbPCo7m1o_CLbMLjg&s=19

There was a big hearing about tiktok today but it boils down to "we are going to ban tiktok because we do not have access to its data and thus no ability to spy or influence American teens."

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I decided to fact check this whole "food inflation" media conspiracy by looking at a Mint account I hadn't logged into in a while. We're actually spending roughly the same amount we did on food per month as we did in 2018. So ha!

Of course, we used to go to nice restaurants and get drinks and appetizers and poo poo once a week. Now we order takeout twice a week at cheaper places like Vietnamese or Peruvian chicken. We used to buy lunch at the office every day. We've been WFH shut-ins since COVID started. Used to do more frozen meals and whatnot. Now we buy and cook food in bulk. Still spending the same money though!

Downwardly mobile, and loving it.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/SquawkStreet/status/1638938575483072513?t=bL-SKhbPCo7m1o_CLbMLjg&s=19

There was a big hearing about tiktok today but it boils down to "we are going to ban tiktok because we do not have access to its data and thus no ability to spy or influence American teens."

its still ongoing

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

gradenko_2000 posted:

you might think the latter is the smarter one, but only if they can correctly predict when they'll die

sooner than the current actuarial tables would suggest

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

actionjackson posted:

it nearly collapsed the indian government and presumably they made millions

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

its still ongoing

They are still yelling at that Chinese ceo? Lol

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

oh yah, that reminds me:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4KFNhxibec

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Nothus posted:

If you have a cash back or travel point credit card, putting everyday spending on it and paying it off at the end of the month is fine. Just be aware the credit card companies are trying to trap you into carrying a balance.

I do this. it works out pretty nice, but I preplan what goes on the CC to ensure the balance is manageable each month to zero out. like a few bills, gas and grocery purchases for example.

but about once a quarter, the cash back is around 250-300 bucks which then, like a good little paypig, is wired into amazon so whatever purchases I make there up to that number are free. This is basically how I buy books and the occasional doo dad.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

War and Pieces posted:

costco still has $1.50 hotdog and soda
pbuc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Twerk from Home posted:

I've been seeing news coverage for years that the Navy has cut back to skeleton crews all around, newer ships are designed for smaller crews, and there's just not enough sailors around anymore to maintain them.

It's weird that we keep buying these ships and making contractors rich instead of keeping more sailors around, building expertise and maintaining things.

https://gcaptain.com/us-navy-released-worst-rust-photo-to-date/

It comes back to MBA mindset where they see personnel as inefficiencies instead of required to do the unglamorous work at sea like scrub, oil and paint things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatAGreatCountry
Mar 21, 2023

by Pragmatica

War and Pieces posted:

Relevant Tangent posted:

costco still has $1.50 hotdog and soda
pbuc