Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Blut posted:

Very interesting to see. Russia only had 600 left combined in reserve + storage in 2013 according to wikipedia (and presumably significantly lower than 100% of those are actually usable in 2023), so they won't be lasting too long if they're destined for the front.

Germany recently had to do something similar when suddenly, Scholz wanted to give Ukraine all the tanks, instead of just Leo-2s. Hundreds of Leo-1s from our old industry stockpiles are being prepared for the transfer to Ukraine, and it's a huge amount of work and a lot of the tanks will probably end up being torn apart to get the others running. And those T-54s and T-55s are even older than Leo-1s. I shudder to think how much work it will be to get a significant number of them back into action.

I'll haphazard a guess that for every tank pulled successfully out of storage, there's at least one that had to be turned into spare parts to make this possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

Don't forget Rheinmetall is trying hard to add Ukraine as another market for their future Leo-3 thing. That tank has a 130mm tank gun, and if that prototype ever makes into serial production before the war ends, Ukraine will probably end up buying some of them.

KF51 is currently a vaporware attempt to make up for the individual MGCS design proposals that Rheinmetall lost to the French.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

KF51 is currently a vaporware attempt to make up for the individual MGCS design proposals that Rheinmetall lost to the French.

sure, that's why I said "trying" :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I thought rheinmetall got 50% of the german work share? MGCS seems like super vaporware as well, with the only hardware being a leo2 hull mated to a Leclerc autoloading turret/gun.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought rheinmetall got 50% of the german work share? MGCS seems like super vaporware as well, with the only hardware being a leo2 hull mated to a Leclerc autoloading turret/gun.

I'm not sure what do the statistics work out to, but my understanding is that Rheinmetall is very unhappy with their end of the bargain. Maybe it's 50% by items, but then they're doing the tank toilet when France is doing the gun? Either way, everything that I've seen about KF51 suggests that it's a loss-recouping project for Rheinmetall's participation in MGCS.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

I'll haphazard a guess that for every tank pulled successfully out of storage, there's at least one that had to be turned into spare parts to make this possible.

I'd be surprised if they were actually getting one fully operational T-54/T-55 out of every two mothballed tanks. I'd guess the ratio of working tanks to donor scrap piles is a lot higher than that.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They better burn quite a few of the existing Leo2 stock in Ukraine if they wanna sell hundreds of new build new model tanks with the Turks and Koreans pushing into the market. Not sure who's supposed to buy all these tanks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

They better burn quite a few of the existing Leo2 stock in Ukraine if they wanna sell hundreds of new build new model tanks with the Turks and Koreans pushing into the market. Not sure who's supposed to buy all these tanks.

... Are they even capable of producing hundreds these days?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I assume if they're going to the trouble of developing an entire new type of tank that that's their ambition at least

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Probably not *right now*. Unless you're the US nobody is dumping the money in to keep an MBT production line perpetually open. Within the next few years, yes, they probably could have a production line churning out reasonably large numbers of a modern MBT.

If somebody throws the money at them to do it. If European stocks of existing modern tanks are too tight to support increasing re-armament of post-war "places that border Russia" demand, it might even happen!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 23, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Every so often the idea that 'the EU should have an army' gets tossed around. Last time I recall serious discussion was when Trump was loving NATO's credibility into the ground.
If Russian adventurism causes this idea to actually crystallize then there will be plenty of demand for new MBTs.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

OddObserver posted:

The totally real and realistic plan for building the totally real tank by Rheinmetall has the go ahead from the German and Ukrainian governments coming within the next two months. Construction of the new factory in Ukraine would finish by the end of 2024. Production would then be 400 tanks a year.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

DTurtle posted:

The totally real and realistic plan for building the totally real tank by Rheinmetall has the go ahead from the German and Ukrainian governments coming within the next two months. Construction of the new factory in Ukraine would finish by the end of 2024. Production would then be 400 tanks a year.

You can tell this is a good idea because building a new tank factory *in* Ukraine in 2023 lol

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Every so often the idea that 'the EU should have an army' gets tossed around. Last time I recall serious discussion was when Trump was loving NATO's credibility into the ground.
If Russian adventurism causes this idea to actually crystallize then there will be plenty of demand for new MBTs.

Not to bog the thread down with EU talk, but I feel like having an EU army, that would likely be tied to the cooperation of every member state unanimously, is going to be a non-starter when your primary aggressor country has heads of state that are sympathetic to them and will vote against the deployment of that army's resources. See Orbán's blocking of the statement on the ICC warrant, or Turkey holding up SWE/FIN NATO accession for reasons why this might not be the best idea.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm not sure what do the statistics work out to, but my understanding is that Rheinmetall is very unhappy with their end of the bargain. Maybe it's 50% by items, but then they're doing the tank toilet when France is doing the gun? Either way, everything that I've seen about KF51 suggests that it's a loss-recouping project for Rheinmetall's participation in MGCS.
I'd love to read whatever pieces you read about this

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Warbadger posted:

If somebody throws the money at them to do it. If European stocks of existing modern tanks are too tight to support increasing re-armament of post-war "places that border Russia" demand, it might even happen!
Poland's the only place actually throwing money at tanks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

You can probably put "Rheinmetall" and "Süddeutsche" into Google to find something.

Süddeutsche had an article about this some time ago.

I'd give you a link, but I'm phoneposting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd say my assumptions/opinion on this is a mix of both press and posts here. As far as the press is concerned:

“KNDS is effectively in charge” [of MGCS] – https://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/industrie/ruestungskonzern-rheinmetall-praesentiert-neuen-kampfpanzer-panther/28420204.html
KF51 NATO market at “at 500–800 or more vehicles in 2025–35” – ⁣https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/rheinmetall-identifies-markets-for-kf51-panther-tank
Corporate and Main Gun headings – https://euro-sd.com/2023/01/articles/29122/main-ground-combat-system-mgcs-a-status-report/

Basically, my understanding goes so that Rheinmetall spent a bunch of R&D for stuff like 130 mm cannon and whatever else, and then found out that it's the third wheel for KNDS. If you then take stock of MGCS evidently being in the default development/graft hell for defence super projects, and the incremental EMBT demonstrators of the past couple of years, Rheinmetall's ambitions are probably to compete with the MGCS. That might be a tall order, and could have all sorts of alternative resolutions, like whining enough to have the German government reassert over the work distribution, but just cobbling a bunch of stuff together in the meantime to make some money really is not.

This war obviously makes a lot of difference for the KF51 if Rheinmetall can finish the tank. There's going to be both more local interest, and a possible option of just selling like a thousand of them to Ukraine. But that doesn't change the design's origin story, which to me looks like a spiteful MGCS affair.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 23, 2023

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mederlock posted:

Not to bog the thread down with EU talk, but I feel like having an EU army, that would likely be tied to the cooperation of every member state unanimously, is going to be a non-starter when your primary aggressor country has heads of state that are sympathetic to them and will vote against the deployment of that army's resources. See Orbán's blocking of the statement on the ICC warrant, or Turkey holding up SWE/FIN NATO accession for reasons why this might not be the best idea.

EU military talk seems pretty relevant to the general movement of this thread, although I guess Cinci can arbitrate on how far that goes. But in any case this is always going to be a problem, no matter how expansive or tiny your military alliance. Turkey wasn't holding up Sweden and Finland due to any affinity for Russia, and I doubt Hungary would be relevant enough to actually hold anything up even if it genuinely wanted to. Hungary wasn't getting a lot of pressure because Orban has been giving public statements for months that Hungary would ratify both countries' applications, so it was obvious that they were going to approve both/either the moment Turkey decided. I think other than Turkey, Croatia's president was the only one that threatened to veto Sweden or Finland?

In practice I think every country in NATO that is not the US, Britain, France, Germany, or Turkey knows that it doesn't actually get a veto, at least not for something that affects the bloc as a whole. Probably Croatia and Montenegro would get a seat at the parents' table for discussion if Bosnia ever tried to join (E: wow, Bosnia has been in talks since 2018? Guess they'll have to figure out the Bosnia-Srpska issue before that), but I don't think Luxembourg and Montenegro are going to be the intransigent holdouts against the entry of Ukraine into NATO during the final 2032 accession talks.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 23, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'd say my assumptions/opinion on this is a mix of both press and posts here. As far as the press is concerned:

“KNDS is effectively in charge” [of MGCS] – https://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/industrie/ruestungskonzern-rheinmetall-praesentiert-neuen-kampfpanzer-panther/28420204.html
KF51 NATO market at “at 500–800 or more vehicles in 2025–35” – ⁣https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/rheinmetall-identifies-markets-for-kf51-panther-tank
Corporate and Main Gun headings – https://euro-sd.com/2023/01/articles/29122/main-ground-combat-system-mgcs-a-status-report/

Basically, my understanding goes so that Rheinmetall spent a bunch of R&D for stuff like 130 mm cannon and whatever else, and then found out that it's the third wheel for KNDS. If you then take stock of MGCS evidently being in the default development/graft hell for defence super projects, and the incremental EMBT demonstrators of the past couple of years, Rheinmetall's ambitions are probably to compete with the MGCS. That might be a tall order, and could have all sorts of alternative resolutions, like whining enough to have the German government reassert over the work distribution, but just cobbling a bunch of stuff together in the meantime to make some money really is not.

This war obviously makes a lot of difference for the KF51 if Rheinmetall can finish the tank. There's going to be both more local interest, and a possible option of just selling like a thousand of them to Ukraine. But that doesn't change the design's origin story, which to me looks like a spiteful MGCS affair.
That sounds a bit more balanced (and makes sense in the current situation), thanks!
Rheinmetall will be a real annoying prick in the side of MGCS if they can actual find a customer for KF51.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Poland's the only place actually throwing money at tanks.

This war isn't over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Slovakia says that four Migs are in Ukraine, definitely good news.

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/23149983/slovakia-sends-first-fighter-jets-to-ukraine.html

Theirs had some NATO compatible upgrades installed so it could be very helpful if it allows deploying some western weapons from them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Finnish defense minister says Finland sends three more Leopard 2's to Ukraine in the latest arms package. These are equipped with mine clearing gear like the first three ones.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

An interesting rumour:

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1638947351304740877

Seems really unlikely? But I'm seeing it from a couple of people now. Withdrawing from this location seems like the last thing Russia would do with an impending Ukrainian offensive.

*edit* tweet was deleted, but it's the same info as the post below this vv

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 23, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was seeing a lot of reports that Russians have left Nova Kakhovka, which is on the left bank of Dniepr. Now it's confirmed by AFU's General Staff

https://www.facebook.com/GeneralStaff.ua/posts/pfbid0U5nJd58nTcbXGSvYBTe69DXdzTxSF5iQHQpCH9xu4qho9QuQ2oGUg4Vba3aurhDsl

quote:

As of 22 March 2023, all units of the occupying army stationed in the village of Nova Kakhovka, Kherson region, left the town. This was preceded by a raids of the nearest residences of the local population for the purpose of plundering. The occupiers "confiscated" large quantities of household and electronic appliances, jewellery, clothing items and mobile phones from the civilian population.

My guess is this a large scale rotation, and they are about to be sent to Bakhmut or Avdiivka, but it's strange that apparently all of them left like that.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
What are the chances of Ukraine doing a DDay over Dnipro while constantly false-flagging the Zaporozhye/Luhansk direction before this? :getin:

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Paladinus posted:

I was seeing a lot of reports that Russians have left Nova Kakhovka, which is on the left bank of Dniepr. Now it's confirmed by AFU's General Staff

https://www.facebook.com/GeneralStaff.ua/posts/pfbid0U5nJd58nTcbXGSvYBTe69DXdzTxSF5iQHQpCH9xu4qho9QuQ2oGUg4Vba3aurhDsl

My guess is this a large scale rotation, and they are about to be sent to Bakhmut or Avdiivka, but it's strange that apparently all of them left like that.

funny, def mon literally just posted:

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1638950820694597645

quote:

Calm down. There is no liberation of Nova Kakhovka.

e: unless that's a sarcastic reference i dont get. e2: no he's saying it's bullshit

as always i guess let's wait and see. but it does seem at least like RU is moving a bunch of troops around to reinforce the attack on avdiivka

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boofhead posted:

funny, def mon literally just posted:

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1638950820694597645

e: unless that's a sarcastic reference i dont get

as always i guess let's wait and see. but it does seem at least like RU is moving a bunch of troops around to reinforce the attack on avdiivka

I think it's pretty crazy to call it a "liberation" when the rumour is that Russia has left, not that Ukraine has crossed the river and occupied the city, so that may be what DefMon is saying.

It doesn't seem to make sense at all though, Russia doesn't have any reason to do this and it's very dangerous. It's almost weird enough to look like a bizarre trap.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is a difference between Russia moving troops away and Ukraine being able to put troops there when there is a giant river in the way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's definitely not liberation, since AFU don't control the town. But it's not impossible that Russian soldiers, maybe not all but most of them, just left for some reason.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

OddObserver posted:

There is a difference between Russia moving troops away and Ukraine being able to put troops there when there is a giant river in the way.

This is at the dam though, which is damaged but it's not like the barge chain Russia had to assemble at Kherson.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The original statement it seems was that the occupiers left the place:

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1638943466645233679
Ukrainian general staff report that the occupiers are leaving Nova Kakhovka, once again looting the city before they leave.

Not the same thing as liberated I guess but a good first step.

There have been rumors of russian preparing to abandon some if not all of Kherson, even still it could be bullshit but it's possible they're trying to move as much forces to other areas of the front.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Russians may just not be that concerned about an attack over the river. The logistics for such an attack would be very vulnerable unless Russian defence simply collapsed entirely which doesn't seem likely. There is, presumably, another defense line further back than this town.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Washington Post's The Daily 202 newsletter has an interesting section about the ICC indictment. Tl;dr is that it actually will have more effect than an empty press release.

quote:

The big idea
Actually, 'wanted’ world leaders often face justice, new study finds

It’s been a historic week for world leaders accused of atrocities:

- On March 17, judges for the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin on war crimes charges.

- And on March 20, the world marked 20 years since the U.S.-led war in Iraq to topple dictator Saddam Hussein, who was deposed, arrested, tried and ultimately executed in 2006.

The ICC news about Putin drew understandable skepticism.

After all, he’s the leader of a nuclear-armed country that is a veto-wielding permanent member of the U.N. Security Council. The ICC doesn’t do trials in absentia, so he’d have to be handed over. And, as Bloomberg reported, “of the two dozen people against whom the ICC has pursued war crimes cases, about a third remain at large.”

JUSTICE OFTEN SERVED?

But now comes a new study from Tom Warrick, who served as deputy assistant secretary for counterterrorism policy at the Department of Homeland Security and is now a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council think tank. It publishes this week, but The Daily 202 got an early look. You should be able to read the whole thing here.

Warrick’s conclusion? It’ll surprise skeptics (including, in all honesty, The Daily 202), but in recent times, high-profile targets of war-crimes prosecution mostly do not evade justice and certainly don’t die peacefully in their sleep. With some exceptions, of course.

“Heads of state and major political or military leaders wanted by international courts have faced justice far more often than not,” he found. “If modern history is a guide, the ICC arrest warrant has dramatically changed Putin’s fate.”

The Daily 202 readers are surely familiar with the Nuremberg trials of Nazi military and political leaders. But the modern era of war-crimes accountability began in 1992 with the U.N. Security Council’s establishment of mechanisms for punishing atrocities in the former Yugoslavia.

That was followed by a wave of other actions, some of them country-specific, like an international tribunal for Rwanda or domestic courts in places like Cambodia or Iraq, as well of course as the creation of the ICC. (The China, India, Russia and the United States, notably, don’t recognize ICC jurisdiction.)

Warrick looked at 18 heads of state or leaders or major military forces sought by international justice for genocide, crimes against humanity and serious war crimes. (They’re all men.)

Of the 18, he wrote:

- 15 (83 percent) have faced justice of some kind before a tribunal.

- Two were acquitted “for lack of evidence under less-than-ideal circumstances” but still appeared before ICC judges.

- Two others were killed before they could face trial (meaning 94 percent have either faced a tribunal or were killed before that could happen).

- Just one of the 18 is still at large.

And here’s the mic-drop: “Of the seven who have died, 0 percent died in their beds at home as free men.”

THE ADMINISTRATION’S HAND

President Biden’s administration this week looked to leverage the ICC warrant for Putin, with Secretary of State Antony Blinken saying Wednesday European countries should detain him and hand him over to the ICC if he visits their countries.

“Anyone who is a party to the court and has obligations should fulfill their obligations,” Blinken said, my colleagues John Hudson and Missy Ryan reported.

The ICC warrant “is not just a symbolic action, it has consequences that are going to change the trajectory of Putin’s life," said Warrick, who has decades of experience as an international lawyer, including years of work in the State Department on war-crimes issues.

It could restrict his travel options, it could restrict what world leaders choose to meet with him or associate with him — though obviously his recent summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping shows some of the limits to the limits, so to speak. And many ICC signatories have declined to sign on to condemnations of Russia’s war in Ukraine.

The warrant could also “fundamentally alter the way other Russians deal with him,” Warrick said.

How?

In Russia, “there will eventually come to power a group of people who want to break with the crimes of the current leadership [and the international price to pay] and so putting someone like Putin on an airplane to The Hague becomes an option that solves several problems,” he said in an interview with The Daily 202.

Warrick pointed to Putin’s widely reported revulsion at images of ousted Libyan strongman Muammar al-Qaddafi being killed in a ditch, seeing his brutal and bloody end as a lesson in what happens to leaders who play by the West’s rules.

“If there’s not a measure of accountability for mass murder, there will be vengeance,” he told The Daily 202. Qaddafi’s fate was evidence of that. So was Italian dictator Benito Mussolini’s. Or that of Nicolae Ceaușescu, the Romanian dictator.

“The world has changed since 1992,” said Warrick, “and it’s time everyone catch up.”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The Russians may just not be that concerned about an attack over the river. The logistics for such an attack would be very vulnerable unless Russian defence simply collapsed entirely which doesn't seem likely. There is, presumably, another defense line further back than this town.

It's certainly a long way from this to Ukrainian forces blitzing through the area, and there is no information on how far Russians have pulled. But it's also not without risks to Russians as it becomes harder to control the perimeter against infiltrators. Ukraine doesn't have to cross with large forces to make it awkward for Russia. If they keep outposts nearby then smallish infantry teams with artillery forward observers and AT missiles could snuff those out and counter-attacking would only result in unproportionate casualties for Russia (which would aid the Ukrainian offensive). OTOH if they have withdrawn beyond Ukrainian artillery range then it would also mean that Russian artillery can't stop Ukraine from expanding their bridgehead. Either way Russia can't just leave the area and not expect Ukrainians to follow in some capacity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah looks like it was nothing

Still wouldn't be surprised if they're moving forces to plug holes elsewhere.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Washington Post's The Daily 202 newsletter has an interesting section about the ICC indictment. Tl;dr is that it actually will have more effect than an empty press release.

quote:

President Biden’s administration this week looked to leverage the ICC warrant for Putin, with Secretary of State Antony Blinken saying Wednesday European countries should detain him and hand him over to the ICC if he visits their countries.

This is actually telling because Putin could travel to USA and he would be fine because they don't recognize ICC.

Oh and Hungary is also safe, at least according to Orban's spox who commented that Hungary wouldn't arrest Putin (Hungary has ratified the Rome Statue but he says it hasn't been codified in Hungarian legislation so it doesn't count - sounds like BS but it's unlikely that Putin would test it anyway).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

An interesting rumour:

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1638947351304740877

Seems really unlikely? But I'm seeing it from a couple of people now. Withdrawing from this location seems like the last thing Russia would do with an impending Ukrainian offensive.

Deleted tweet, FYI.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

This is actually telling because Putin could travel to USA and he would be fine because they don't recognize ICC.

Oh and Hungary is also safe, at least according to Orban's spox who commented that Hungary wouldn't arrest Putin (Hungary has ratified the Rome Statue but he says it hasn't been codified in Hungarian legislation so it doesn't count - sounds like BS but it's unlikely that Putin would test it anyway).

I doubt he'd be very safe in the US. Hell let me know and I'd do citizen's arrest if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt he'd be very safe in the US. Hell let me know and I'd do citizen's arrest if necessary.

Oh yeah, and which US law has he broken that you would cite? :smug: Seriously though it's hella embarrasing that the US withdrew from the statute because US soldiers should be allowed to warcrime in Middle East. Hopefully this gives people there enough motivation to change that. I'm not going to hold my breath for it though...