Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

for some reason Walmart and kohls also never wanted to be anchor tenants which doomed a lot malls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
malls in megacities in rich communities are still alive

The Grove and Westwood Century City are both busy in Los Angeles

also they spend a ton on destination poo poo for families, like they had it snowing in the mall back around Christmas, and regularly bring in live performance acts

CC mall is literally all high end stores and had a billion dollar reno, these are not normal malls

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jaxyon posted:

malls in megacities in rich communities are still alive

The Grove and Westwood Century City are both busy in Los Angeles

also they spend a ton on destination poo poo for families, like they had it snowing in the mall back around Christmas, and regularly bring in live performance acts

CC mall is literally all high end stores and had a billion dollar reno, these are not normal malls

Someone had a really good post in this thread about how all retail is going to cater exclusively to the upper middle class and up, chasing a luxury market while everything else declines. That makes sense to me as to why Nordstrom and nice malls with Rolex stores will continue on while Sears and normal suburban malls die.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I live near a dead mall that is officially going to be knocked down and the area turned into much needed multi-residency housing with a central green space, but this is going to take 20 years to happen for some reason????

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the green space will never happen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

nikosoft posted:

I live near a dead mall that is officially going to be knocked down and the area turned into much needed multi-residency housing with a central green space, but this is going to take 20 years to happen for some reason????

is this lloyd center

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, Russia had stuff like the big GUM building in Moscow that I guess was essentially a mall before the mall. The ones we know in the US were entirely dependent on tax scams for new development to get places to locate out by the new whites-only country estates though. There just wasn't enough population density out in suburbia to get stuff like that built organically.

I grew up in Moscow and went to GUM a few times. It was pretty upscale and kinda toursity from what I remember, but there were all sorts of malls there. My favorite one was this giant pirate software emporium which had every single weird and wonderful electronic thing you could ever want. I honestly don't think something like it could ever exist here for... many reasons

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

they probably mean green space as in the kind they normally build for big condo projects which means a small fenced in concrete area with a couple of trees planted for residents only

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jon Irenicus posted:

the mall about ten minutes away has officially become Teen Fight Club where all of the poorly behaved students go to gently caress around on the weekend and routinely get in fights. one kid even got stabbed. thus the mall is trying to crack down and literally ban unaccompanied minors

lol yep

City leaders address multiple violent brawls at SF's Stonestown mall

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/youth-fights-at-sf-mall-prompt-police-presence-17850649.php

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
good for the kids

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

let the teens viddy a little ultraviolence

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

euphronius posted:

Green Space is when you hotbox your space capsule

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Yep "Greensea Systems Inc. has been awarded a 2-year Phase 2 option period contract by the U.S. Naval Office of Naval Research to continue developing technology for autonomous hull cleaning vehicles. This is a continuation of the work Greensea has been doing since 2018 through the Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) program. While the first phase of the contract focused on designing the system, the second phase will focus on technologies that improve navigation and autonomy."

https://greensea.com/greensea-hires-vp-of-business-development-defense/

quote:

Paco joins Greensea after serving as a Commander in the US Navy for more than twenty-two years. He previously held Business Development positions at VideoRay, :siren:iRobot:siren:, and Riptide.

nailed it lmao

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Al! posted:

is this lloyd center

I had to google that and you will never catch me in New Jersey, let alone on the east coast. This is in the Sacramento area, where we currently only build housing that is McMansions on former AeroJet test sites, or insanely-priced apartments downtown where they have to get the cops to run off the multitudes of unhoused that are on every corner

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
TikTok hearing going well

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1638945871642370062

I feel like the chances of a federal ban have increased significantly after this worst-possible answer lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The media and idiots are using this as a "gotcha!" moment.

https://twitter.com/tallRevere/status/1638949402315456517?t=DqB2c71FM0vTBwJ92RCxqQ&s=19

EDIT: speaking of idiots lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone had a really good post in this thread about how all retail is going to cater exclusively to the upper middle class and up, chasing a luxury market while everything else declines. That makes sense to me as to why Nordstrom and nice malls with Rolex stores will continue on while Sears and normal suburban malls die.

This is already happening, Walmart is in decline because Dollar General/Tree/Family Dollar are eating their lunch on the low end and no one with options goes to Walmart. Walmart is too middle-tier for the coming retail landscape.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

- Wanna buy fresh vegetables? Tough poo poo, go grow them in your back yard

At least that won't be an issue, nobody eats vegetables any more

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Al! posted:

is this lloyd center

Sorry, no affordable housing, only high-priced condos or luxury apartments.

WhatAGreatCountry
Mar 21, 2023

by Pragmatica

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I remember in like 2010-2011 there were a record number of Millennials living with their parents a number not seen since the great depression.

but the fundamentals of the economy are strong and cool

now the millennials are shopping in malls in paradise

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mr Hootington posted:

The media and idiots are using this as a "gotcha!" moment.

https://twitter.com/tallRevere/status/1638949402315456517?t=DqB2c71FM0vTBwJ92RCxqQ&s=19

EDIT: speaking of idiots lol

what did muck zarkerberg call it

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

nikosoft posted:

It probably takes 20 years because that's when the tax breaks the mall originally got finally expires.

WhatAGreatCountry
Mar 21, 2023

by Pragmatica

euphronius posted:

pictures from a mall. very relevant.

funny poo poo getting published under the banner of news thesedays

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1638957246292918273

SHOOORT SELLERS :argh: :argh: :argh:

WhatAGreatCountry
Mar 21, 2023

by Pragmatica
:sludgepal:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9BloAPGEXo&t=8s

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

TikTok hearing going well

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1638945871642370062

I feel like the chances of a federal ban have increased significantly after this worst-possible answer lol

TikTok needs to find a way to allow American capital to invest in it. Maybe that would shield it from protectionist legislation.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cpt_Obvious posted:

TikTok needs to find a way to allow American capital to invest in it. Maybe that would shield it from protectionist legislation.

and an NSA backdoor

and for a way for a billionaire to utterly own it

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

anime was right posted:

and an NSA backdoor

and for a way for a billionaire to utterly own it

Tik-Tok to be replaced by Peter Thiel's 'Barad-dûr' app.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Dollar Generals aren't going anywhere

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

:psyduck:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Idk who is stronger, finance or the state, but I'd bet the state would make room for TikTok if finance was making money off it regardless of whether or not they let the nsa in.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ahhahaha

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Idk who is stronger, finance or the state, but I'd bet the state would make room for TikTok if finance was making money off it regardless of whether or not they let the nsa in.

the state has completely capitulated to finance

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

culver's seems like an after church kinda joint

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

pretty much a lurker these days, but loving hell FlapYoJacks, I’m sorry

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HallelujahLee posted:

i dont know of many people that can afford to pay off the cc balances entirely every monthly in fact i dont know of any

I do. I completely resent paying interest, but I also like harvesting cash back. I use the CC for everything and just pay them off, and it works because I monitor spending closely and treat the CC as if it was cash.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I’m not a materials scientist by any stretch, but can’t you just, like, paint them so they aren’t exposed to direct sea water?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I do. I completely resent paying interest, but I also like harvesting cash back. I use the CC for everything and just pay them off, and it works because I monitor spending closely and treat the CC as if it was cash.

apply this to general populace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatAGreatCountry
Mar 21, 2023

by Pragmatica

webcams for christ posted:

Dollar Generals aren't going anywhere

in fact they are getting doctors;

quote:

Dollar General latest player to enter retail clinic arena
Published Jan. 23, 2023

A sign is posted in front of a Dollar General store on March 12, 2015 in Vallejo, California. Justin Sullivan via Getty Images

Dive Brief:
Dollar General is piloting mobile clinics at three Tennessee stores in partnership with mobile health provider DocGo.

The clinics, which are hosted in vans in store parking lots, offer basic, preventative and urgent care services, along with lab testing. Visits are available for walk-ins and by appointment.

The pilot could expand to additional stores, depending on customer response, as Dollar General continues to grow its healthcare products and services targeted at rural communities.

Dollar General is the latest player to foray into consumer-focused health clinics, following in the footsteps of drugstores and retailers like CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Amazon, UnitedHealth Group, Kroger and more. The goal of such clinics is to serve as a front door to the healthcare system amid rising demand for better, more convenient care and outcomes, and direct consumer dollars to the company’s other healthcare offerings, whether that be pharmacy fulfillment, health plan signups or food sales.

Dollar General took a step deeper into healthcare two years ago, saying it wanted to expand access to healthcare products in rural communities, including a wider assortment of medical, cough and cold and feminine hygiene products under its DG Wellbeing health initiative.

DG Wellbeing now also includes onsite clinicians provided through DocGo at the three Tennessee pilots, the companies announced last week.

Under the new partnership, clinicians can perform physicals and routine checkups, vaccinations and immunizations, screening and lab testing, along with management for chronic conditions like hypertension and diabetes, and urgent care services like wound care, according to the DG Wellbeing website.

The initial focus of DG Wellbeing is an expanded health offering, consisting of roughly 30% more feet of healthcare selling space and up to 400 more items as compared to standard stores, Dollar General CEO Jeff Owen said in a third-quarter earnings call in December. It’s similar to CVS’ HealthHUB store offering.

DG Wellbeing was available in roughly 3,200 of Dollar General’s more than 18,800 stores as of October 2022.

Owen addressed the DocGo pilot on the call, saying Dollar General plans to test the offering over the next few months in a bid to bring low-cost health and wellness to rural communities.

Over the summer, Dollar General said it planned to create a healthcare advisory panel to help the Tennessee-based dollar store develop its strategy in health and wellness. The panel includes its first chief medical officer, Albert Wu, who was appointed in 2021.

The Tennessee clinics with DocGo will accept Medicaid, Medicare and select private insurance plans, and will bill those plans at urgent care center rates. DocGo, which was founded in 2015, calls itself a “last-mile” provider, and dispatches clinicians to locations to provide care that would otherwise require a patient to go to a physical clinic. The company, formerly called Ambulnz, went public in 2021 in a merger with a special purpose acquisition company.
https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/dollar-general-health-clinics-docgo/640940/

you know, for all those rural people. with money. and cars.

WhatAGreatCountry has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Mar 23, 2023