Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Deleted tweet, FYI.

I know you probably saw it already but for anybody who hadn't, it was a mistaken announcement by Ukraine that Russia had abandoned Nova Kakhovka in Kherson, which they shortly afterwards retracted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

boofhead posted:

I know you probably saw it already but for anybody who hadn't, it was a mistaken announcement by Ukraine that Russia had abandoned Nova Kakhovka in Kherson, which they shortly afterwards retracted

I didn't actually, so this is useful for me as well. I quoted it from an abstract perspective of an argument stemming out of a likely inadequate tweet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

Oh yeah, and which US law has he broken that you would cite? :smug: Seriously though it's hella embarrasing that the US withdrew from the statute because US soldiers should be allowed to warcrime in Middle East. Hopefully this gives people there enough motivation to change that. I'm not going to hold my breath for it though...

Can we hand over Bush, Cheney and Obama if Putin goes too? I’m down.

Also we’re on vacation atm and the people in the room next to us are russian. It was nice for about five minutes but no they are the hella vatnik kind where after five minutes of pleasantries they will pivot to “genocide is sometimes cool, you guys know, da?”

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Oh yeah, and which US law has he broken that you would cite? :smug: Seriously though it's hella embarrasing that the US withdrew from the statute because US soldiers should be allowed to warcrime in Middle East. Hopefully this gives people there enough motivation to change that. I'm not going to hold my breath for it though...
There has to be a law now??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can we hand over Bush, Cheney and Obama if Putin goes too? I’m down.

Also we’re on vacation atm and the people in the room next to us are russian. It was nice for about five minutes but no they are the hella vatnik kind where after five minutes of pleasantries they will pivot to “genocide is sometimes cool, you guys know, da?”
It's not a package deal but sure thrown them in.

I was in Egypt a few weeks ago and it was full of russians too. Akwaaaard.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russian acquaintance went to Bali and called it Baliysk, Moscow oblast'. :laffo:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Missed chance for Blyali imo

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I don't really want to be that guy but are there any conventions that partisan activities against collaborators fall into?

You see tweets like these quite frequently about collaborators being hurt or killed:
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1638862911526572032?cxt=HHwWgMDU0dHItL4tAAAA

I assume there's really nothing you can do if you get falsely hit or hurt in a collateral way.

Speaking of which, anybody know if the trial for that Kherson collaborator, Illia Karamalikov, is still ongoing? Has any verdict been rendered?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Missed chance for Blyali imo

These things are usually only funny to foreigners.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

These things are usually only funny to foreigners.

The whole suka blyat gopnik schtick is way overdone yeah

Still, it was right there

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://www.reuters.com/world/india/russia-cannot-meet-arms-delivery-commitments-because-war-indian-air-force-says-2023-03-23/

According to Reuters, the war's causing Russia to be unable to meet its arms shipment obligations to India. This isn't the first time it's happened either, it happened with a shipment of armored vehicles and other weapons last year if I'm remembering correctly.

This will only strengthen China in the long term, especially with the trending of Russia towards being a resource colony junior partner of Beijing's. India without a Russia to buy arms from will need to get them elsewhere and China's a major producer of arms.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/russia-cannot-meet-arms-delivery-commitments-because-war-indian-air-force-says-2023-03-23/

According to Reuters, the war's causing Russia to be unable to meet its arms shipment obligations to India. This isn't the first time it's happened either, it happened with a shipment of armored vehicles and other weapons last year if I'm remembering correctly.

This will only strengthen China in the long term, especially with the trending of Russia towards being a resource colony junior partner of Beijing's. India without a Russia to buy arms from will need to get them elsewhere and China's a major producer of arms.

China is the reason India wants to be armed. So the Indian/Russian relationship declining would strengthen the US, if anyone.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

China is the reason India wants to be armed. So the Indian/Russian relationship declining would strengthen the US, if anyone.

Goes to show how much I know about Indian geopolitics :blyat:

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

How long until India hates China enough to mend things with Pakistan, then the US could sell both of them weapons :love:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SaTaMaS posted:

How long until India hates China enough to mend things with Pakistan, then the US could sell both of them weapons :love:

The problem is that China is now Pakistan's new best friend

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

The whole suka blyat gopnik schtick is way overdone yeah

Still, it was right there

All that reminds me of is the #skazochnoebali hashtag someone posted a couple of years back.

More to the point, there was a recent Al Jazeera article about Russian exiles working under the table in Bali and putting local tour guides out of business.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

There has been reports of India being close to buying Rafale's for their carrier(s?)...

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

India would consider about 193 countries to buy weapons from before China. And that's because I'm not sure, if given the choice between Pakistan and China, historical would prevail over current emnity. Specifically the borders in somewhat remote and underdeveloped Aranuchal Pradesh and less remote Sikkim and Ladakh seem to be a lot more mobile than a geography textbook might show. That's about every direct China-India land border. A quick search on Indian media would show soldiers to have died; BBC (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53062484) seems to be rather cautious about it though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

The problem is that China is now Pakistan's new best friend

Real "We've always been at war with Eastasia" energy going on between India, Pakistan, and China right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Young Freud posted:

Real "We've always been at war with Eastasia" energy going on between India, Pakistan, and China right now.

What? I feel like the alignment of China and Pakistan against India has been pretty consistent since 1947.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Small update from the Nordics. Looks like a good step towards joint security.

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1638991916250329088

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
cinci edit: deleted post

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 24, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

a podcast for cats posted:

Small update from the Nordics. Looks like a good step towards joint security.

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1638991916250329088
250 seems to be the current + existing orders of the three air forces, so it's not yet an expansion on numbers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pablo Bluth posted:

250 seems to be the current + existing orders of the three air forces, so it's not yet an expansion on numbers.

:confused: Fighters cost $$$, air force generals don't decide on expanding their stock. This is an agreement about having joint training (and logistics and planning). Since Finland and Sweden are not in NATO yet it's premature, but it lays the groundwork for future.

And why three? Is this some Cardassian technique???

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's just when I saw the numbers, "How does that compare to currently?" was my first thought; I was just saving anyone else adding up the numbers.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The estimate of 250 fighter jets seem to be based on the following expected inventories at some point in the future:

Denmark: 27 F-35s
Norway: 52 F-35s
Finland: 64 F-35s
Sweden: around 120 Gripens

Notably this not the current inventory of the respective air forces. The first three are far from done receiving their F-35s and are still operating a comparable number of F-16s or F-18s until then at least (edit: Norway may have phased their F-16s out already, but not sure. They are the country furthest along in taking delivery of the F-35). Sweden meanwhile only currently have about half the listed number of Gripens, with the rest on order.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 24, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I forgot Norway, so my numbers don't make sense anyway!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It might also include the existing stuff, although its not clear how long FDF hangs on to the F/A-18 Hornets.

Currently they are expecting to scrap or sell the existing fleet by 2030 if all F-35's are delivered as agreed, but that's just a decision that might change because of the current requirements and the overall situation because the publicly available document exploring the situation is dated 2020 before the war in Ukraine.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 25, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

SaTaMaS posted:

If you see them pull out of BRICS then that'd probably be a big sign.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Accurate or not, the >250 number seems to be based on existing numbers presented as:
- Finland: 62 F/A-18
- Norway: 57 F-16 and 37 F-35
- Denmark: 58 F-16
- Sweden: >90 Gripen

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some details on the Nordic Alliance To Oppose Russia:

quote:

To achieve that goal, this intent directs the development of a “Nordic Warfighting Concept for Joint Air Operations,” pursuing four lines of effort:
  • integrated command and control, operational planning and execution
  • flexible and resilient deployment of our air forces
  • joint airspace surveillance
  • joint education, training and exercises.

Norway has at least 52 F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters, according to Janes.
Finland has 62 F/A-18C/D multirole fighter jets and 64 F-35s on order, according to Reuters.
Denmark has 58 F-16s and 27 F-35s on order, according to Reuters.
Sweden has around 70 JAS-39C/D Gripen jets and will be converting over to the enhanced Gipen-E in the coming years.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/nordic-air-defense-pact-combines-forces-of-hundreds-of-fighter-aircraft

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is the UK MoD's claim that the Bakhmut offensive has "largely stalled" accurate? Russia's advance certainly seems to have slowed even further but my understanding was that the current position is basically untenable for Ukraine given how threatened their only supply line is.
https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1639515935580225537

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's what army's commander Zaluzhnyi says, at least. Given that Russians haven't been able to take Bakhmut, it seems quite tenable to me.

Alternative take is that the Russian attack on Bakhmut was even more untenable than the Ukrainian defense of it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Alternative take is that the Russian attack on Bakhmut was even more untenable than the Ukrainian defense of it.

The greatest bit of war wisdom I’ve seen in GiP was the following (probably paraphrased):

quote:

War is graded on a curve. You don’t have to be the best, just better than whatever dumbfuck you’re fighting.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Super dumb question but couldn't Ukraine hit Russian positions in Bakhmut with HIMARS from a safe distance? Like I'm surprised they aren't doing that 24/7. Unless they are?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There aren't nearly enough HIMARS to hit every target. Any job that can be done by regular artillery is going to be. I'm sure HIMARS is still used in Bakhmut if particularly good targets at long range are identified.

There's also the consideration that they're going to want to stockpile precision munitions for offensive purposes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Super dumb question but couldn't Ukraine hit Russian positions in Bakhmut with HIMARS from a safe distance? Like I'm surprised they aren't doing that 24/7. Unless they are?

We don't know that they aren't, and “safe” is a rather contingent term. Despite the comedy of Russia announcing its 70th or whatever destroyed HIMARS, they do have the means to shoot them, both from the ground and from the air. Bakhmut is quite likely the peak density of pointed objects of the Russian army, and I could very well imagine Ukrainian planners concluding that it's too risky to field HIMARS in the vicinity.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Anders Puck Nielsen has a new video about Bakhmut and the larger picture of the war right now. I always find him to be insightful and he presents (what I humbly deem to be) good takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKwPeSnvTE

He thinks Ukraine is staying in Bakhmut because Russia is facing heavier attrition and they don’t want to give them time to recuperate. If they pull out if Bakhmut, Russia won’t follow them on to the next frontline.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
HIMARS ammo is also relatively expensive (the article below quotes a price of $168,000 per missile, and a single HIMARS launch uses 6 missiles) and there's only so much of it, both in Ukraine and even available to be sent to Ukraine. The limit with HIMARS isn't the number of launchers, it's the amount of ammunition. There have previously been concerns raised about whether Ukraine's use rate is sustainable: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/are-there-enough-guided-rockets-for-himars-to-keep-up-with-ukraine-war-demand

Which means that HIMARS mostly tends to get used for relatively high-value targets.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 26, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

They are. But HIMARS was most effective when they came to the front because Russian artillery batteries weren't prepared for accurate long range fire hitting back at them. Russians then changed tactics, scooting the hell out of fire position after a brief salvo. As for the Russian troops in the front, well sure they are being hit but there's no unlimited amount of indirect fire that can be poured onto individual fighters, in fact Ukrainian artillery shell situation is dire and is hindering the launch of spring offensives. And troops ducking in trenches and basements or moving from cover to cover are hard to hit (it takes time for shells to travel to target). So artillery is in particular reserved to hit high value or vulnerable targets, such as concentrations of infantry, infantry moving across open fields, vehicle columns etc. instead of everything everywhere all the time. The idea is to disrupt them and their supply lines and force them to scatter so they can't achieve local superiority against defenders, pin them down with fire and assault their positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:siren: D&D feedback thread is open for the weekend. This is your opportunity to click into the quote and make yourself heard before I change the thread rules. :siren:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'll kramer some war thread business in here, to have it all contained. Unfortunately, the timing of this feedback thread catches me at a busier period IRL, so I'll be brief and unlikely debating the feedback raised particularly thoroughly, if at all. I will, however, read it all before implementing the rules update for the war thread – which is not going to happen at least until April, to keep expectations clear.

So, the historical context, give or take a few posts. Not crucial to read, just if anyone is really curious.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530328037
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530329667
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530332932
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530334156
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014579&userid=197848&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post530334375
Also, some posts in the late ChatGPT thread, where we broached the subject of using videos to make your arguments.

So, in order:

1. Walls of text

These are a chore to engage, since when you just drop a long quote bare, it can unclear what exactly you're trying to say. Additionally, under the D&D rules, you're expected fully to consume the posts you're replying to, and there is a limit on where replying to a post becomes onerous. For wholly original thought, I don't think that most people are really at a risk of breaching it, but for content not originating on SA it realistically should be a few minutes per post at most.

2. Long videos

Same as the above basically, but then there's an extra wrinkle of people doing “look at what my YouTuber did” and “debate my YouTuber” posts, which aren't really adding anything to any conversation framed specifically like that.

3. One off links/tweets offloaded in the thread

I think this is nuanced, in that for breaking news this is the pragmatic posting style. Overall, however, I've found over the course of the first year of the thread that quite often people will not ever click into the sources and check the finer details of whatever they're posting about. The blame on this one is mine to take, as I supported and contributed to that manner of posting for quite a while. It therefore is on me to see the problem mitigated.

The proposed rules change for the U/R thread, attacking all 3 of these, would come as a blanket rule against dropping links, videos, and walls of text without at least some commentary. For breaking news, it will be fine to just “holy poo poo this is massive” – I just want to discourage the CTRL+C, CTRL+V posting style. Furthermore, not as a rule, but more of as a style guide for the thread, I will also ask of posters to focus on making their own arguments. What this means for bolding vs quotes of walls of text conversation is that I am firmly against posting the wall as is, and bolding the more requisite parts, and that I would like quotes usage to become more articulated, e.g., when you're relaying some precise language or figures, or something else not really practical for being summarized. For everything else, I would like posters' own words to become the load-bearing form factor for delivering one's arguments to the thread.

Lastly, I would also like to receive some public feedback on the thread rules that are seen as obsolete, reductive, or otherwise unnecessary. I will respect your time and say that if your feedback about potential removals from rules is not more specific than “remove them all”, I won't dwell on it any much.

Do not discuss this in this thread, for the avoidance of doubt.