Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I really think the best way to do the Portal Stuff would be to add it to the IE map as an Endgame Crisis.

You could then go into the Chaos Hells to stop each individual Chaos faction from entering the Earth.

I really like the vibe of the place but I don't really like the Tower Defense battles, its all a bit unwieldy and honestly feels a bit too Warcrafty/League of Legends to me. This is supposed to be hell, why can I just spawn and heal my troops so easily?

I'd be happy if the Realms just had a few cool themed big rear end tough armies running around in there that you had to crush to close the gates. The Khorne realm had the right idea with some fun throwdowns. I'd love to see an army of all flying things, an army of just thousands and thousands of chaff units with high morale, etc.

I guess I really like the visual design but feel it's wasted. The tiny armies you fight in the Chaos realms are all pushovers. The big fight at the end is just sit there and hide behind towers for the most part.

I like the idea behind RoC but the implementation was bad. There's still plenty of tweaks they could make to fix it/make it better while still having it be a challenge.

if it gets added as an endgame crisis in IE it could be boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Chaos Realms as a starting province for monogods could be interesting. From there you could perhaps portal through and make that your starting zone in the world. Balance would probably be all over the place but those areas have some great visual design and it would be nice to incorporate them somehow.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Chaos Realms as a starting province for monogods could be interesting. From there you could perhaps portal through and make that your starting zone in the world. Balance would probably be all over the place but those areas have some great visual design and it would be nice to incorporate them somehow.

This is more or less what N'kari got in RoC, right up in the corner of the Chaos Wastes, and he's definitely up there as one of the most fun Chaos factions. I did play his campaign with the RoC portal mechanics turned off though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

feller posted:

Dwarfs have to play pretty defensively compared to most races. Are you building the garrison building in your settlements? Those and a half stack can defend against almost anything once you get some practice at minor settlement battles.

Yup, did just that. Was not enough.

Then a full stack I had moving out to reinforce my settlements in the east got wiped out by orcs at the same time.

I want to like these games, but the learning curve is very, very steep.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Cythereal posted:

Yup, did just that. Was not enough.

Then a full stack I had moving out to reinforce my settlements in the east got wiped out by orcs at the same time.

I want to like these games, but the learning curve is very, very steep.

What's your army comp look like? Dwarves should not have too many problems with Orcs. Quarrelers melt pretty much anything other than Savage Orcs, and a strong front line of Dwarf Warriors can hold against anything other than maybe Black Orcs.

Do you have lightning strike? You can strike off the WAAGH! and only fight 1 army. Can make things a lot easier. Just remember that Lightning Strike can only be used offensively.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I could see a chorf lord being thrown into the Spine of Sotek dwarves spot, or somewhere up in the North of Lustria, although that whole area is pretty crowded already.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cardboard Fox posted:

What's your army comp look like? Dwarves should not have too many problems with Orcs. Quarrelers melt pretty much anything other than Savage Orcs, and a strong front line of Dwarf Warriors can hold against anything other than maybe Black Orcs.

Do you have lightning strike? You can strike off the WAAGH! and only fight 1 army. Can make things a lot easier. Just remember that Lightning Strike can only be used offensively.

My armies were built to a spec of two grudge throwers and then an even mix of warriors and quarrelers. Plus Thorgrim's starting master engineer.

Thorgrim had lightning strike but he was off in the east hunting skaven.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I kind of suspect that they have figured out a way to have the chaos dwarf daemon engines pull the artillery mounted on cars because only the engines have been shown so far so my best guess is Zhatan is going to get an engine mount and that's why you will play him as opposed to the casters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They really need to figure out a way to incorporate the realm of chaos battle maps into IE because those maps are beautiful and it's a complete waste of an enormous amount of talent and effort to have them siloed off into a campaign that nobody plays.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hail hashut

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Can a dwarf only fall to chaos as basically a communal thing more or less? Or are there individual dwarfs in the lore that have ended up being corrupted on their own

Tordrek Hackhart, one of the pirate captains in the Dreadfleet, was an engineer from Barak Varr who ended up falling to Chaos due to his jealousy, and then ended up throwing his lot in with the Chorfs after ending up making his way to one of their ports in his steam-powered mechanical kraken.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Cythereal posted:

My armies were built to a spec of two grudge throwers and then an even mix of warriors and quarrelers. Plus Thorgrim's starting master engineer.

Thorgrim had lightning strike but he was off in the east hunting skaven.

Hmm, yeah that's pretty much my starting Thorgrim army as well.

The only other recommendations I could give are pretty basic:

-Use a hero to scout your enemy's area to make sure you know where they are at all times. If you are fighting Grimgor, you want to know where his main army attacks from.

-Make sure you have your trade agreements going with Empire + all other Dwarves for the extra gold so you can field more armies.

-Build walls in all your settlements (I think you mentioned you are already doing that).

-Don't overextend past your territory. You want to paint the map in a way that has your allies covering you on your flanks.

-Don't go to war with too many factions if you have a say in it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kanos posted:

They really need to figure out a way to incorporate the realm of chaos battle maps into IE because those maps are beautiful and it's a complete waste of an enormous amount of talent and effort to have them siloed off into a campaign that nobody plays.

I think they should just have them in IE as single provinces dedicated to each of the gods

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I like the idea of adding the rifts as an endgame crisis -- Have them pop open and start making GBS threads out armies until you can march into the realms and beat a superpowered daemon prince or something

Would be slightly more in-depth all the current crises where it's just "spawn a bunch of stacks"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Some more Dawi tips, as I basically play nothing but in wh 1&2:
-You can choose to ignore the skaven, they won't wardec you as they'll have their own issues to deal with.
-Delaying the Badlands bowl to clear out the northern mountains is very profitable
-Wh2 taught me 'walls in every settlement, no exceptions', but I think Silver Road is the rare exception in that you'll end up funding a second stack asap anyways, whose job is just to shoo away random idiots underway-ing in to raid (and giving grudges, so it needs to be stepped on asap)
-As per above, once you capture a lovely settlement south of the Silver Road you can use them as ablative armour to stop Grimgog from piling into your capital. You don't have to defend or upgrade them, just own them as you're busy elsewhere.
-There is almost no rush for the higher tech units, as orcs skaven and vampires are all unarmoured. Quarrelers 4lyfe! Having a full stack of quality low-teir units will pay off more than rushing a 10k cost building that does nothing useful.
-Now that I'm typing it out, Miners with blasting charges probably have their one (campaign) niche here, as half-stack stocking stuffers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dwarfs are perfectly designed to fight all of their immediate enemies. They immediately fall apart the second they have to fight against anyone with AP cavalry though, unless they manage to shoot them down beforehand.

I have yet to find a reason to ever bring a ballista. What a waste of a unit slot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Dwarfs fall down pretty hard when they have to fight High Elves but so does everyone so that's not too surprising.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jokes posted:

I have yet to find a reason to ever bring a ballista. What a waste of a unit slot.

They're available very early and have a pretty great RoF, they're very good at sniping out enemy artillery (albeit a little short ranged to do it without counterfire) and pretty good in a siege, or at slinging bolts at anything big and 'orrible.

They're basically a sort of higher RoF but less lethal version of the cannon. Not worth bringing I think if you have cannon but if you can't get cannon then a mix of grudge throwers and bolt throwers is great fire support for an army.

E: re: dwarf strategy, if you're playing in the world's edge mountains the terrain is very important, there are several key settlements which will allow you to lock down the mountains quite thoroughly. You want to capture the world's edge archway and the silver pinnacle, the pinnacle is a major and should be walled to hell and back, the archway is a minor so probably needs a garrison, but those will block any ingress from the east unless the enemy underways in which they generally don't, they like to bash themselves against those outer regions to establish a contiguous territory, and some of the threats simply don't have the choice of underwaying.

There are several other settlements that block key access points into the mountains and you want to secure and fortify as many as possible. Zhufbar should hold forever against the vampires although holding the rest of that province including the valuable bugman's brewery site is harder. A number of the settlements in the middle world's edge mountains also have been moved to cover passes as well so look for those. That's your key to holding territory. If you're fighting out in the badlands that's a lot harder because you don't have the mobility advantage granted by underway capability in the terrain that other factions can't move through, and particularly you will struggle against dangerous enemies that are good on open ground, like skarbrand.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 24, 2023

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

OwlFancier posted:

They're available very early and have a pretty great RoF, they're very good at sniping out enemy artillery (albeit a little short ranged to do it without counterfire) and pretty good in a siege, or at slinging bolts at anything big and 'orrible.

They're basically a sort of higher RoF but less lethal version of the cannon. Not worth bringing I think if you have cannon but if you can't get cannon then a mix of grudge throwers and bolt throwers is great fire support for an army.

It's kind of funny to me to complain about AP cavalry and then poo poo-talk the bolt thrower, which is good at hitting cavalry, especially before you can get cannons.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

jokes posted:

They immediately fall apart the second they have to fight against anyone with AP cavalry

found your problem

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

It's kind of funny to me to complain about AP cavalry and then poo poo-talk the bolt thrower, which is good at hitting cavalry, especially before you can get cannons.

Yeah the thing about them is they don't have any area effect but they fire fast enough that they can still thin formations just by sheer weight of bolts, and they will generally severely gently caress up any models they actually hit, so they can whittle down elite infantry and do pretty well against cavalry too with the anti-large damage, although they might struggle to land hits reliably against looser formations and faster units.

Still as you say, there's not much else you have access to early on that can deal with cavalry so the bolt thrower is one of the better options short of eating a charge to the face and then quarreling them to death. Bolt throwers are just like bigger quarrelers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bolt throwers suffer from CA/TW's design space of everything being limited by slots and designed obsolescence. Being added in post-launch in the wrong spot on the tech tree, they really had no chance to shine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, I would say they are good the same way cathay peasants are good. For where they are they provide an important capability that the army otherwise lacks. You're never going to deliberately field a peasant army but if you want to recruit a stack in the arse end of nowhere with minimal buildings, then they're good to have and can perform pretty well. They're very cheap too, very cost effective.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Seeker rune bolt throwers are nutty for their price, sometimes I feel like they're better than cannons for focusing down SEMs/characters

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I have generally found that seeker runes just make the bolts home in onto the floor in front of units so I don't use them. They seem to make them less accurate somehow. Which is weird because hellcannons certainly loving work, as do doom divers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

By the time you're fighting AP cavalry as dwarfs, you have better tools than "cannon but not as good". For example, cannons. Or slayers. Still, AP cavalry is a real kick in the nuts if you haven't specifically brought the very specifically-built anti-large units that Dwarfs have. You can probably get by with thunderers though!

I also just really don't see bolt throwers as sufficiently thinning cavalry though. I always just see them lose maybe 10 horses and then they're useless most of the fight, while grudge throwers are perfect in any situation. I might be using bolt throwers wrong I guess!!!!

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 24, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a sort of sweet spot for them where they'll hit the mark every time and past that, even if the enemy is in range, the shot bugs out and lands too early. I find it happening a lot if I'm stacking range bonuses.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
With the cost cap mod, I am bringing ballistas.

Pew pew pew.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I never leave home without a fuckload of slayers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're fighting cavalry then bolt throwers are probably a very good choice as once they are tied down on a holding unit they can continue to shoot, as they have a higher arc and no splash damage.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I go out of my way to ally dwarfs no matter who I'm playing specifically to get a couple batteries of organ guns.

Never actually played the dwarfs themselves though. I like having magic and cavalry and a bunch of cannon fodder so I don't think they'll ever be the race for me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well I'm back at it with Thorgrim. Took my licks, regrouped, and am now in a fairly stable pattern of damage control playing whack-an-orc. Not exactly making any headway, but I've stabilized and things aren't getting worse so far. Wiping out three grudges with one turn of raiding helped a lot.

Surely Grimgor will run out of armies to throw at me. Surely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Playing dwarfs is very much chilling with a beer setting your formation, then watching it play out. You do a lot of target priority and stuff, but you're not wheeling chargers around and stuff.

I find dwarf battles to be really fun once the gunline is assembled and you can just blast the poo poo out of an enemy as they come in then pick the rest apart with rock hard defenders.

The best dwarf battles for me are the ones where you barely move a unit and the enemy breaks their brain repeatedly charging into your line for no result. Very rewarding.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I've been playing a Zhao Ming IE campaign with the warband upgrade mod. It's delightful; I can actually consistently adjust my caravans to have decent to good armies to make sure they proceed through yellow and red routes. Upgrading units in my main stacks is actually a secondary concern since you still have access to regular recruitment through buildings.

I've just knocked out the Skaven, but Lokhir has taken over the whole riverlands and Miao never secured snake gate so Vilitch has three full stacks coming down from the Warpstone Desert. IE Cathay is a fun area to play; very fresh when you consider games 1 and 2 contained many, many playthroughs of the old world area and lustria.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

- Shows up

- Transfers a settlement

- Refuses to elaborate

- Surfs away on staff

(the parrot is from the Legendary Characters mod)

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 24, 2023

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I liked the RoC campaign - I managed to finish the Kislev one right after launch which was one of the more hard video game things I've done for a while

Also very themically correct

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i am playing Repanse who is the best for these reasons

she sounds mad as hell constantly

she has a cool horse

she has a big sword

she runs right into the middle of a group of enemy units then yells KAPOW and blows half of them up

also she's joan of arc who is extremely cool

in conclusion brettonia is my favourite and repanse is my favourite brettonian

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 24, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Peep the page number, very Chaos

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, played some Slaanesh. First, autoresolve loving hates basically everything Slaanesh has. Second, my armies are 100% marauders/chaos warriors and hellstriders with hero support for a good chunk of the game. The low recruitment slots AND poor replenishment AND longer recruitment times for high-tier units means i found myself getting ground down if i did anything other than 1-turn recruitment and pressing my advantage. Third, I just cannot find a good use for stuff like subjugation. I did manage to vassalize Eltharion and Tyrion so far, the first forcibly and the second to the seduction mechanic, but I have a hero swarm roaming through Morathi's lands trying to build up seduction points and all its really doing is pissing her off with hero agent relation maluses and chewing into my disciples. I'm maybe 25% of the way there so far and don't see it going any faster anytime soon. Maybe I need to declare on one of her enemies too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mordja posted:

Peep the page number, very Chaos

HAIL CHAOS