Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Endless Mike posted:

i legit didn't know this was a thing

It's just a rerun of the threatening java installer that says "java runs everywhere it's even in your car"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmbo imagine the hell of being the nerd who has to maintain a 15 year old version of anroid

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lmbo imagine the hell of being the nerd who has to maintain a 15 year old version of anroid

i hope that person strikes up a friendship with the person who will be maintaining Internet Explorer in 2032

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

probably easier than the hell of keeping the entire mess that is anroid up to date

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

volk phone

no... i don't like the sound of that

volksmobiletelefon

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there’s no way google can support anything for 15 years, they don’t have that kind of attention span. they will release three new products by then that replace whatever it is and then cancel them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sounds like a good and probably pretty cushy job tbh. the rat race of chasing the newest things and constant rebuilding is both incredibly wasteful and a big part of what makes computer touching a frustrating job.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Either it doesn't have a baseband and relies on the internet connection of a nearby phone or wifi access point, or they somehow got enough documentation to be able to support their own baseband drivers (this is likely NOT the case).

Also, I would assume that it doesn't have a web browser (or at least one that doesn't browse websites outside of VW's control) and networking is optional. But this would still allow pulling or sending data via satellite.

15 years seems quite doable, and things should stay reasonably secure during that timeframe.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

although I hope there aren't any 32-bit dates in that codebase

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
probably easier and cheaper to make the soc socketed change it out every 5 years

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sb hermit posted:

Either it doesn't have a baseband and relies on the internet connection of a nearby phone or wifi access point, or they somehow got enough documentation to be able to support their own baseband drivers (this is likely NOT the case).

presumably a lot of the promise relies on deals they have cut, surely there are baseband modules for "industry use" with substantial support deals around anyway? e.g. ericsson loves to talk about 5g in factories. things are a touch different when you're building a car than a penny-pinched phone after all

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

presumably a lot of the promise relies on deals they have cut, surely there are baseband modules for "industry use" with substantial support deals around anyway? e.g. ericsson loves to talk about 5g in factories. things are a touch different when you're building a car than a penny-pinched phone after all

You're right.

Still, I think satellite gets you more coverage and is a known quantity. Bandwidth is poo poo but as long as you're just transferring the data you really need (weather, traffic, etc) it should be ok.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
my car is more than 15 years old and i can still use the stereo and the air conditioning

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sb hermit posted:

Also, I would assume that it doesn't have a web browser (or at least one that doesn't browse websites outside of VW's control) and networking is optional. But this would still allow pulling or sending data via satellite.

15 years seems quite doable, and things should stay reasonably secure during that timeframe.

over 15 years the concern should be that the baseband won’t have a network to connect to anymore. the iPhone 3G was launched 15 years ago and no longer can be added to US cell networks and its unlikely to even get a signal

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

iirc we source some garbage flash wrapper thing because years back one of our litany of idiot CTOs thought that Adobe Flex was the future and would remove the need to do any coding and some stuff still hasn't been moved off it or replaced

imagine working on that lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wild EEPROM posted:

my car is more than 15 years old and i can still use the stereo and the air conditioning

Everyone I know that has a lexus has had their touchscreen break in five years so they can't manipulate anything unless there's a button attached to it

thankfully, my car's screen is not touchscreen and also it has a voice button that lets me voice control everything which is very nice. this is why I'm a honda man and my disdain for toyota knows no bounds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't own a car, because i give a hoot

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sleepwalkers posted:

no that’s android auto, this is android automotive which is an entirely different product, where the entire car infotainment system is running a version of android

vws are only worth leasing so it makes sense to have a shelf life

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im the guy who maintains the old android apps :negative: my last job was using android automotive

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

isnt this literally longer than androind has existed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you guys are overthinking it. google doesn’t do service contracts or customer support. one day vw is going to call up google asking when the fix to the critical bug they reported will come. they will find out that the group that was supposed to maintain a thing was reorged and then merged into another group and then dissolved and there is literally no one who owns the product and anyone that knew anything about it doesn’t work there anymore.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

goblin week posted:

isnt this literally longer than androind has existed

G1 came out in 2008. 15 years ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

you guys are overthinking it. google doesn’t do service contracts or customer support. one day vw is going to call up google asking when the fix to the critical bug they reported will come. they will find out that the group that was supposed to maintain a thing was reorged and then merged into another group and then dissolved and there is literally no one who owns the product and anyone that knew anything about it doesn’t work there anymore.

the most important parts of AAOS at least are open source. I guess worst case scenario you rip out google maps/ok google and start clamping down even harder on whatever the security holes are at hypervisor host device driver level

https://source.android.com/docs/devices/automotive/virtualization/architecture

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

hobbesmaster posted:

over 15 years the concern should be that the baseband won’t have a network to connect to anymore. the iPhone 3G was launched 15 years ago and no longer can be added to US cell networks and its unlikely to even get a signal

FWIW, manufacturers have already been doing free service upgrades to swap out the SOC with the cellular modem on it. I imagine VW would do the same if they're committing to a 15 year service life but the cell networks it can connect to get turned down 10 years in.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't think we need anything more than LTE, but equipment manufacturers who whole large patent portfolios think otherwise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the carrier backend changes and modulation changes mean that the normal “LTE” like 5G connections (FR1) should get more reliable connections. expanded uses for carrier aggregation compared with LTE advanced should also help with consistent bandwidth, fewer connection drops and less latency because your phone is actively communicating with a tower on more than one frequency or multiple towers. it should help a lot when driving

this is impossible to market so ridiculous data rates in FR2 that are mainly practical for fixed wireless are what makes it into ad copy

oh, also, the 5G core directly supports LTE. previous generations like 2g and 3g needed separate equipment. that may or may not help the longevity of regular LTE because MNOs will be able to get more out of 5G users exclusively using FR1.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“massive mimo” is the only part of this at all trying to be marketed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

“massive mimo” is the only part of this at all trying to be marketed

"massive mimo" is the title on my fetlife profile

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Midjack posted:

"massive mimo" is the title on my fetlife profile

txt me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-assistant-might-be-doomed-division-reorganizes-to-focus-on-bard/?comments=1&comments-page=1

I'm guessing it'll last another two years in some form?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

at least this surely means that bard will be very successful

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
fard

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

chome :chome:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

huge lol that its going to the google graveyard

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

chomefards

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

huge lol that its going to the google graveyard

I’m having a lot of trouble with remembering what even the name is for. I thought assistant was everything behind “ok google” like Siri or Alexa

To Wikipedia!

quote:

Google Assistant is a virtual assistant software application developed by Google that is primarily available on mobile and home automation devices. Based on artificial intelligence, Google Assistant can engage in two-way conversations, unlike the company's previous virtual assistant, Google Now.

Yeah isn’t that “ok google”? And what the gently caress was google now?

quote:

Google Assistant debuted in May 2016 as part of Google's messaging app Allo, and its voice-activated speaker Google Home. After a period of exclusivity on the Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones, it was deployed on other Android devices starting in February 2017, including third-party smartphones and Android Wear (now Wear OS), and was released as a standalone app on the iOS operating system in May 2017. Alongside the announcement of a software development kit in April 2017, Assistant has been further extended to support a large variety of devices, including cars and third-party smart home appliances. The functionality of the Assistant can also be enhanced by third-party developers.

Allo? Home? Wear?

Oh dear.

Apparently that duplex thing was part of it? That was the NLP AI thing that you could use to spam restaurant reservations.

But anyway I still didn’t see if this is the service that is the equivalent of Siri for “set a timer” or navigation or whatever. I think so? But maybe not? does this mean removing voice commands from android? I’m guessing not and this is about dumb stuff like duplex?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google assistant is the Siri equivalent for android. you access it with “ok google” or “hey Google”.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apparently the Google Brain AI team and the DeepMind AI team hate each other but were made to drop everything and work on Bard together

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bard up your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Bard up your rear end
         /