Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think it's based on souls or whatever it's called in Nioh that you get from an enemy so you get more XP using a weapon you have no experience in from later game enemies than you do earlier ones/ May also have a catchup mechanic based on other weapons being higher level too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Afaik it's just based on the damage you do with the weapon? As weapon levels and player levels go up damage scales up pretty drastically so later in the game weapons will gain those early proficiency points very quickly

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Afaik it's just based on the damage you do with the weapon? As weapon levels and player levels go up damage scales up pretty drastically so later in the game weapons will gain those early proficiency points very quickly

Ah, that would make more sense than what I was thinking.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Wo Long:

Haha wow gently caress lu bu

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I just beat Tokichiro for the first time and I still don't quite get magic.

Mainly I use a protection talisman and whatever weapon talisman is strong against the boss I'm fighting (pretty much lightning). I tried using the elemental shot spells, but they seem pretty trash compared to the ninjutsu elemental shadow arts - is that intended?

Also, is there any value in using low stance with the switchglaive? I've only been using it to dodge, and when I forget to switch out the damage is so poor compared to mid or high.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 19, 2023

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I just beat Tokichiro for the first time and I still don't quite get magic.

Mainly I use a protection talisman and whatever weapon talisman is strong against the boss I'm fighting (pretty much lightning). I tried using the elemental shot spells, but they seem pretty trash compared to the ninjutsu elemental shadow arts - is that intended?

Also, is there any value in using low stance with the switchglaive? I've only been using it to dodge, and when I forget to switch out the damage is so poor compared to mid or high.

IIRC, if you really go for a magic build, the elemental shots can be quite good, both for general encouters and bosses .
Low stance switchglaive is a good way to apply status effects to enemies after coating your weapon in it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Reinforcing what was said by Pennfalath, magic is good once your magic stat is high

The magic shot talismans are also a bit weaker than the specialized spells, but you can stock more for less capacity. Getting a good multi hit with lightning bolts or any of the good guardian spirit scrolls would deal a lot more damage in one cast. I think they would generally be weaker than an out-of-ki bonus damage hit from a ninja scroll, but on the other hand, you can deal decent damage without having to do any ki drain

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Morter posted:

Wo Long:

Haha wow gently caress lu bu

Well there's a reason that guy has such a reputation.

I should get back to Nioh; I cleared the spider castle then kinda took a break doing other things. Just need to get back into the proper mindset.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Elemental shots are really kinda just an entry level magic, not really damage dealers they're primarily good for being fast and easy elemental appliers. For damage with magic you want the higher end stuff, though magic is probably most valued for its amazing buffs. Barrier, Extraction, and Rejuvenation Talismans are all great once you get a reasonable amount of Omnyo Power, Barrier and Rejuvenation are very good even in NG, while Extraction kinda requires your gear to be sorted out a bit which might not happen until the DLC/NG+ (though still pretty good with Spirits like Tengen Kujaku).

Note that both damage and duration of buffs for both Ninjutsu and Onmyo scale with their respective power, which you can get in more ways than only the corresponding attribute, both prestige points and gear, and some spirits can give you very solid increases.

Edit: for damage/effects with Omnyo, there's also the Guardian Spirit attack talisman, I forgot the name, but it is quite excellent depending on the Spirit in question.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 19, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Does the environment variety improve at all in the DLC? It's really starting to wear on me. If I have to run through another series of caves or burned out battlefield I may have to put the game down for good-- Wo Long is waiting on gamepass.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
not really but I have bad news for you: Wo Long's not gonna be much different in that respect

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The DLC has some cool setpiece environments but it's still riffs on the usual stuff. However, I don't know why you think wo long is going to present much different

lol efb

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It could be worse, it could be the levels in Stranger of Paradise :v:

I very much like the mechanics of SOP but the levels are all boring copy-paste corridors with occasional set-piece views in some rare places

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm just here for the butt kicking and the loot. Though I have to say, I may not be very far (Chapter/part 5) in Wo Long but i'm not super excited about loot. I only found one element-enchanted weapon, and the forge/socket system makes no sense to me.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Morter posted:

I'm just here for the butt kicking and the loot. Though I have to say, I may not be very far (Chapter/part 5) in Wo Long but i'm not super excited about loot. I only found one element-enchanted weapon, and the forge/socket system makes no sense to me.

Socket system short version:
- 5 or 6 different slot types
- each type a dozen or so basic gems you can put into each slot
- rare gems can be removed from one piece and placed in another
- item has their various slots randomize

You can’t change accessory gems so they are true RNG like Nioh.

Only a few weapons have elemental Marshal arts. I tend to think they are best in game. I really like the allies giving you their armor set at max friendship. It makes it easier to try out various things without farming.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I mainly used magic in 2 for support, where there’s lots of good choices. My stealth MVP talisman lategame was actually Extraction combined with some “heal on Amrita absorb” passives. It enabled ridiculous pressure on bosses, particularly Reckless Charge on fists; I’d rush in, reckless would give me some armor, I’d knock a bunch of amrita loose to heal the damage I was taking, then I could systematically blow through enemy ki and start stagger loops (especially on human bosses combined with Izuna Drop).

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
did they heavily nerf the snake boss at some point or something, i'd seen a ton of posts about how it was a huge jump in difficulty etc. but it was actually the easiest boss in the game so far

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Nah, it’s still a bastard, but weapon selection can make a big difference in my experience (something that can hit and kill the arms before the dark realm will help make that phase a lot safer). But some folks didn’t have much issue with the bat yokai boss in the first game that was also a potential stonewall.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i'm playing Nioh 2 for the first time, having a lot of fun, but now that i'm out of the first region i have to wonder

was i right in assuming those big yokai bosses were not parriable? i made a few attempts with the Switchglaive mid stance parry and it just didn't pan out. i was more than a little dissappointed that the best way to beat Enenra and the snake boss was to just sneak High hits whenever i wasn't baiting attacks with Low stance

the kusarigama parry only seems to work on human enemies, too...

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

catgirlgenius posted:

i'm playing Nioh 2 for the first time, having a lot of fun, but now that i'm out of the first region i have to wonder

was i right in assuming those big yokai bosses were not parriable? i made a few attempts with the Switchglaive mid stance parry and it just didn't pan out. i was more than a little dissappointed that the best way to beat Enenra and the snake boss was to just sneak High hits whenever i wasn't baiting attacks with Low stance

Yep, that's one of the big differences from Wo Long, where parry/deflect is core to the experience. In Nioh, parry is an unlockable skill, often (always?) locked to specific stances/weapons, and most only work on humans (see Morter's post for exceptions)

isk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 23, 2023

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

catgirlgenius posted:

Yeah, I believe the tooltip for the parry abilities explicitly says that they only work on human enemies. However, the yokai counter (that you use when enemies eyes turn red) works on everything, that's what gives you opportunities against bosses.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

isk posted:

Yep, that's one of the big differences from Wo Long, where parry/deflect is core to the experience. In Nioh, parry is an unlockable skill, often (always?) locked to specific stances/weapons, and only works on humans

There are 2 that work on non-humans ---the fist can 'deflect/parry' most any strike that comes to it with Opportunism; and the Bolting Boar on the Odachi will slam down a lot of yokai.

I mained both these weapons in NG5. It was so much fun

Edit: I posted this earlier in the thread but here's me doing both of those on one monster, in order! (There's sound but it doesn't matter)

https://i.imgur.com/oi0o99G.mp4

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 23, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Morter posted:

There are 2 that work on non-humans ---the fist can 'deflect/parry' most any strike that comes to it with Opportunism; and the Bolting Boar on the Odachi will slam down a lot of yokai.

I mained both these weapons in NG5. It was so much fun

Good poo poo! Will edit

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I’m about to start a magic run on Nioh 2 having only ever done various Ninja builds before, any quick advice? I’m going to go HAM on magic so am planning on putting all my points into that except for what I need for armor requirements, and use switchglaive and split staff. Is there another stat that’s useful as a secondary?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
For a fresh character starting NG? I don't think you're getting any offensive spells with Onmyo until the end of act 1, and the heavy hitting stuff comes even later so you'll be playing significant chunks of the game "normally", build for your current needs and respec to optimize later. Splitstaff and Switchglaive both chew through Ki like popcorn so get lots of Heart, Courage, and Skill; Barrier talismans are fab for them but those kinda need higher stats and the Mystic Art (for speed) to really feel good.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i'm actually doing an almost entirely Magic build as a new player and i can't say i'm having any outstanding weakspots. Barrier and Purification talismans going into a big fight gives you a pretty huge advantage

Kodama Bowl + Shrine Top + 3 pieces of that armor that gives you regen on kills is a stylish set that's not too fragile. i have B toughness and B agility with 69% of my weight limit used. i also tempered in some scaling +Ki recovery speed and lowered recovery time when out of Ki. seems to be working well!

if anything my problem is that i have to do risky things on purpose to keep things interesting, else you get the ol' Souls problem of using just one very good attack all game

20 different people called on my girl the past 24 hours :) hope that AoE Barrier skill helped

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

onmyo is great for a first run since, once you get past the wall of nagara maotaka, you get access to sloth talisman, which gives you a huge amount of breathing room against harder enemies or certain bosses

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

I’m about to start a magic run on Nioh 2 having only ever done various Ninja builds before, any quick advice? I’m going to go HAM on magic so am planning on putting all my points into that except for what I need for armor requirements, and use switchglaive and split staff. Is there another stat that’s useful as a secondary?

Personally I like heavily armored mage, you can swing/block some hits and while you wait for your ki to slowly come back, you can cast some spells

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

just got a Dragon Flute with a Defense bonus (B or C?) that scales to my ever-increasing Magic.... :getin:

love this game. and i specially love that gauntlet arena type mission where i have to "solve" 5 different fights in quick succession as they spawn in. i hope that part only ramps up

don't love those snake women though, i blow them up instantly if i can

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
They keep on the entire game and do ramp up. In fact iirc the last singular achievement is doing one of the longest on Dream of the Demon.

for the Nure-onna, the trick is mostly just to recognize when they like to dodge and not immediately commit to a big swing, hold for a sec and realign. Since you're doing Omnyo: they're strong against fire but weak vs lightning.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Thanks for the tips. What do you think about a Tonga/magic build? Courage sounds useful for either switchglaive or splitstaff, and tonfas are fast, maybe good for building up elements? I’ve only spent a bit with splitstaff but it can be pretty quick too, seems like an easy way to get confusion.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Splitstaff used to be pretty broken for confusion but it got nerfed down quite a bit, most of its multihits have severely reduced accumulation now. You can still get accumulation going but it is more on par with regular weapons. I love the splitstaff, it is one of my favs, and it plays spacing pretty well which is nice for a Omnyo focus, but don't go in expecting instant elemental effects.

Tonfa is a very aggressive weapon and definitely pretty solid for accumulation, with Kannagi it might actually be pretty cool in combination with damage spells too but I've never really tried that so can't say for sure. It doesn't space particularly well though. Tonfa and splitstaff together suffer a bit from both being blunt weapons (-25% damage, +25% Ki damage), so you'll break Ki like crazy but you might lack a little in damage unless you've already applied water and confusion (arguably tonfa+splitstaff really want you to add some Ninjutsu Feathers to your mix).

Honestly I think you are staring at the primary scaling stat a little too much, in NG the difference is pretty minor, in NG+ you can modify it anyway. Grab weapons you like and/or give you utility you think you need or want to try. And if you find a weapon that doesn't quite do what you want or work with your setup then just swap it out and try another. I'd throw in hatchets for the weapon consideration, if you want to do a heavy Omnyo focus with damage spells, hatchets spacing and in/out gameplay ought to sync up really nice and dynamic.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

To anyone who's played NG+ of Wo Long: how much does the 5-star loot or any other unlockables change the game?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Morter posted:

To anyone who's played NG+ of Wo Long: how much does the 5-star loot or any other unlockables change the game?

not significantly, especially since all of the NG+-specific sets take an age to farm as it is, and most of the bonuses are along the lines of "you get stat bonuses when you're doing a thing you already should be doing". it might get more expansive when the DLC finally comes out, but it's mostly just a thing you run through if you happened to like the base game and wanted a slightly harder version of it

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

You can get 'grace' bonuses on 5star gear that gives you a reward for having a high stat like ultimate constitution/magic/etc from nioh2. Other than those it is pretty unremarkable.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've been playing this and am having a good time. In the second region so far.

The start was a little rough and the second boss was a real pain, but I feel I have the groove of things now. At least in terms of combat. I'm all over the place with where I leveled stats.

I'm a little unsure about the gearing. You can level up a lower level gear piece by feeding it higher level gear. Will I ever actually need to replace the set pieces I have since I can boost them this way?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Yes you will, because higher difficulties also unlock better gear, such as an accessory that takes the place of one set item, as well as new, more powerful sets.

Oh, and at least one new level of item rarity, maybe two, it's been a couple years.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Even within the same playthrough, it's totally possible to find numerically superior gear, so you have to weigh whether you care about the set bonuses (and aesthetics) that much. But it's totally permissible to go like 5 hours or more without even looking at the equipment and inventory screens.

I'm still working through my first playthrough! But playing Elden Ring atm finally so I'm busy with that lol. I definitely find myself missing Nioh 2 at times, the two games have a lot to learn from each other

also god the hatchets suck. I think my playthrough lapsed because I tried giving them a shot. not gonna make that mistake again

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

I'm a little unsure about the gearing. You can level up a lower level gear piece by feeding it higher level gear. Will I ever actually need to replace the set pieces I have since I can boost them this way?

For the most part you can ignore crafting/upgrading gear until the NG+s, for your first run through the game you'll constantly be finding stronger armor and weapons, just equip whatever makes number go up and keeps you in your desired weight class. You can even have the blacksmith make any gear look like any other gear if you really care about fashion souls.

Ramie posted:

also god the hatchets suck. I think my playthrough lapsed because I tried giving them a shot. not gonna make that mistake again

They are easily the weakest of all the weapons. They've got poo poo range, but make up for it by being throwable... too bad throwing them does virtually no damage outside of impractical min/max builds :rolleyes: Way back in the day somebody posted a good writeup about how to use hatchets (more) effectively, I'll see if I can dig it up.

e:

Heyyyyyyyyyy O:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dual Hatchets basically have a few moves that are really good and carry the entire weapon.

All Ablaze is one of the best, if not the best, self buff in the game. This should be up all the time.
Piercing hurl: light is your most damaging move by far, even compared to other weapons. There are some axe and odachi skills that don't hit as hard as this. On some larger enemies it can even hit twice making it even more ridiculous.
Advancing Storm is basically what you should be using when you aren't in melee range and don't have the time to charge up a piercing hurl. It does good damage but the mobility is the real winner.
Lethal Barrage should be your go to combo ender. The additional attack seems to have very generous i-frames too so you can use it to avoid reprisals.
Demon's Undercut does respectable damage and ki damage, even if it comes out a bit slowly.
Wolf's Rage and Bell Ringer are great for humans or any enemies that love to block as you will quickly deplete their ki.

Basically just use those moves in high stance, swapping to mid stance for wolf's rage and bell ringer as needed.
edit: Pick Trained throw as your mystic art.

Now that's not to say that dual hatchets are perfect. I would say the biggest problem is that their moves don't really flow that well into each other. I'm just imagining a hatchet moveset where ending a combo with a throwing skill is possible and is smooth. Think mid stance mountain hurl but for every stance with any throwing skill.
There's also a lot of redundant throwing skills. I really don't think that each throwing skill needs 2 variants that do slightly different things. If anything, the mystic art should have been enough to just flat out modify all throwing skills. Tireless throw should have been no damage loss at range + more range. Trained throw should have been faster charging + bonus damage for timed release. But maybe the designers couldn't think of any more moves idk.
Then there's also some weird decisions like not being able to ki pulse into Greased Lightning, which basically makes it unusable as a charged move. Maybe the dlc can fix some of these issues.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Thanks for the advice goons.

I had an exhilarating razor-thin victory over Tachibana Muneshige: