Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I move to immediately nominate harold krell for chair of the inaugural mafia player's council

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

CCKeane posted:

I very strongly agree with Sandwolf here. I think we should focus on discussing if/what can and should be done to make the community safer and more comfortable for people, posts that are infighting/personal don't accomplish this goal.

I think communication in an open forum should occur. Like uh

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Sandwolf posted:

It’s also kinda messed up when we’ve been having community wide conversations about people being comfortable in this community, only to have the members of the community come in and attack someone because they basically don’t recognize them?

It just didn't look like it was about not recognizing them and felt a lot more like an attempt to make their opinions irrelevant and invalidate them. But re reg has since said that it wasn't intended as an attack so. "shrug" I guess we're done.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sandwolf posted:

Here’s something on point: more than one member of the current-mafia playing community has reached out to me to complain about what y’all just did.

Now what?

Taste resurrected this thread and it's his responsibility to kill it again

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

krell's non-mafia creative work was very interesting, and i think he should be interpreted as a performance artist

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I wish I could read all these exciting new posts but I’m about to get on a plane

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

It just didn't look like it was about not recognizing them and felt a lot more like an attempt to make their opinions irrelevant and invalidate them. But re reg has since said that it wasn't intended as an attack so. "shrug" I guess we're done.

another game room ik success story

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think laughing at a bad post is ok and the fact that this has to turn into a big hubadub about whether or not this was cliquey from both sides is more unwelcoming to people than anything honestly, lol

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I am well noted for being a loudly opinionated cockbite, so for what it's worth I agree with this and mean zero ill posting will toward anybody.

Well apologies for reading your post and getting a bit put off by the tone.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sandwolf posted:

Here’s something on point: more than one member of the current-mafia playing community has reached out to me to complain about what y’all just did.

Now what?

A major item here, and an important one, is that very often people don't think they're in the wrong or making somebody uncomfortable, or that they'll think that they're in the right and defending their standing or some other concept - but it doesn't matter if you don't think you're in the wrong, if somebody's uncomfortable and doesn't feel welcome, they don't feel comfortable and welcome.

I'm really disappointed that we can't discuss this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hal Insandenza posted:

I wish I could read all these exciting new posts but I’m about to get on a plane

I move to nominate Hal immediately after my Krell nomination is roundly rejected

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Hal Insandenza posted:

I see nothing has changed with your mafia play

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DGK2000 posted:

I see nothing has changed with your mafia play

lmao

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CapitalistPig posted:

Notice how many current players are posting? Notice how many veterans are digging in? This was the first proper chance at reacting better as a community and it was totally hosed.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

CCKeane posted:

A major item here, and an important one, is that very often people don't think they're in the wrong or making somebody uncomfortable, or that they'll think that they're in the right and defending their standing or some other concept - but it doesn't matter if you don't think you're in the wrong, if somebody's uncomfortable and doesn't feel welcome, they don't feel comfortable and welcome.

If I make anyone uncomfortable or unwelcome please tell me as it really isn't my intent. I'd rather everyone be happy. Except ConorT

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm not slamming him , It's just kinda messed up to tell a bunch of people that they are no longer relevant and don;t have a say in anything.

I don't think this is reasonable, no, at all. And this is not aimed at you, mind, but I also don't think it's reasonable to tell people who regularly or semi-regularly play right now that they need to have been there for longer to have an opinion. I've been here for a bit and modded for a bit, too, you know it, and I only know like half of the people posting right now, and most of them I know from seeing them around because I do hang out in both Discords. It's not an issue of them vs us, it's a "we are going to play together so let's try to have a community, not two halves of one"

If we absolutely need an IK I agree with whoever said Grandicap would be a great one. Bif too, but I don't think she wants to be?

If we're going to do the list of trusted people, we should start nominating before we run the mods out of there, I think.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think laughing at a bad post is ok and the fact that this has to turn into a big hubadub about whether or not this was cliquey from both sides is more unwelcoming to people than anything honestly, lol

hi, newbie here, and I agree with snooze on this one, taking the discussion away from what was said in the posts to whether it was an attack on old players or new players or whatever hasn't really cast anyone involved or the community in a great light, especially since the actual substantive discussion was mostly being resolved and cleared up in the meantime

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Sandwolf posted:

Notice how many current players are posting? Notice how many veterans are digging in? This was the first proper chance at reacting better as a community and it was totally hosed.

Shellception posted:

I don't think this is reasonable, no, at all. And this is not aimed at you, mind, but I also don't think it's reasonable to tell people who regularly or semi-regularly play right now that they need to have been there for longer to have an opinion. I've been here for a bit and modded for a bit, too, you know it, and I only know like half of the people posting right now, and most of them I know from seeing them around because I do hang out in both Discords. It's not an issue of them vs us, it's a "we are going to play together so let's try to have a community, not two halves of one"

If we absolutely need an IK I agree with whoever said Grandicap would be a great one. Bif too, but I don't think she wants to be?

If we're going to do the list of trusted people, we should start nominating before we run the mods out of there, I think.

yeah okay , as I said re reg clarified what seemed like kind of a crappy thing to say was not intended as an attack. I get it. LET'S MOVE ON

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CCKeane posted:

i was at first annoyed and made uncomfortable by what I percieved as a poster saying my opinion and presence didn't matter, but then I thought about it and realized that it wasn't that big a deal what that person meant, if indeed they really meant it, and that I should get out of my own head about it. this is a wonderful cure for so many minor disagreements in life

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I think when you’re having conversations about the future of a community you owe it to everyone to post in a manner whereby someone doesn’t come away from that posting feeling othered.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shellception posted:

In all seriousness, if there is anything actually useful that could be done in the role of IK, there's a decent chance I might be too busy with kid or work or whatever at the rare time it needs doing, and it would just put more stress in my life to feel bad about failing at such a low-workload job.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Can we set up pager duty or some other type of notification app so that the future IK is always accessible? I think that’s going to be very important especially when things happen late at night sometimes.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I volunteer as tribute if gets people to slap fighting in a thread that isn't even an active mafia game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK about you guys but I think this thread is pretty fun

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

In all seriousness, if there is anything actually useful that could be done in the role of IK, there's a decent chance I might be too busy with kid or work or whatever at the rare time it needs doing, and it would just put more stress in my life to feel bad about failing at such a low-workload job.

we need to resurrect mr steak and have him do it as he's young enough to not have any responsibilities that might interfere with important IK duties

given the tension in the thread right now I should note that this is a joke about mr steak and not a dig at your extremely reasonable hesitance to take on a role that might have time demands you'd have trouble meeting without sacrificing other important parts of your life

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Oh my god

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I was thinking about ways we could monetize the community, maybe we can mint our own currency that people have to use to play in games? And mods get currency for running games - and the currency can be used in a shop that only takes that currency. Just spitballing here

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jen X posted:

we need to resurrect mr steak and have him do it as he's young enough to not have any responsibilities that might interfere with important IK duties

I think you mean permabanned poster mr steak

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jen X posted:

Better hurry, school's almost out and I hear he goes to summer camp

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jen X posted:

My one* true posting enemy….

*I hope the only one although sometimes I wonder

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The problem we have right now is that we need some mafia games to open up so this energy can go into the games instead

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jump King posted:

The problem we have right now is that we need some mafia games to open up so this energy can go into the games

Lmao if you think half the people posting are gonna sign up

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jump King posted:

The problem we have right now is that we need some mafia games to open up so this energy can go into the games instead

it would be nice to fill this game

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027694

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this reminds me i have a very dumb idea for a complicated mafia game does anyone want to hear it?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Snooze Cruise posted:

this reminds me i have a very dumb idea for a complicated mafia game does anyone want to hear it?

yes

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Shellception posted:

quote:

The SA Mafia community takes a lot of pride in being a safe, respectful, inclusive and inviting space. If you ever encounter anything or anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable, threatened, abused, angry, or even unsure of how you feel, there are many people here, both within and outside of the SA Mafia community, who are happily willing to listen, provide support, and enact change to make the community better for everyone. Here is a short list of only some of the people that other players have suggested as a resource that you should never hesitate to contact: Leperfish, Antivehicular, Sandwold, Shellception, Grandicap, Hal Insandenza, Wologar, Maerlyn, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Cloacamazing!, Oppopanix (certainly spelled wrong), Bifauxen, [insert one or more people here].

Take it, change it, completely rewrite it, add it to the OP, add it to your games, change the names as you see fit.

Edit: to make it clear I don't think we should have an official nominated list. I think everyone should feel free to add or change the names they want to provide as they see fit, as things change, whatever. I just want to let people know there exists a large support network and a desire to keep this place from being an abusive environment (I would say keep it from being a shitshow but then it wouldn't be mafia).

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 23, 2023

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I have the best worst idea for a game but I'm only running it if humalong co mods with me

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Squiggly posted:

I have the best worst idea for a game but I'm only running it if humalong co mods with me

You know I’m always in

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jump King posted:

There was a second one but it looks like Mona's is full up.

Go team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I want to but I think my head would explode if I joined another mafia game, someone else should join it but pretend to be me