Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

coworker just announced that she's leaving to go work for Lego and I am insanely jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
drat they have a pretty huge number of applicants too I think

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm guessing this is the role where she accidently missed the interviewer and had to reschedule? In any case, congrats, that's awesome!

:emptyquote:

No, it's a different one. The rescheduled interview is tomorrow, but I think she's leaning towards taking the offer she has.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

coworker just announced that she's leaving to go work for Lego and I am insanely jealous

drat, same

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Fool posted:

kensei posted:

drat, same

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

-contains working was very much accidental!

This also describes most of my days tbh

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

My cert school resume review person told us to say explicitly we know how to install xp, use CDs, and WEP, among other gems

Anyway I wish there was a way to put computer touching goon - 1998-current on my resume

I listed Windows 3.1 experience on my resume for my current job because I touched a few PCs running it when I was baby, to really drive home the narrative I was selling of being a lifelong computer hobbyist as a foundational experience. Didn't think to include Apple II alongside it for some reason, shoulda in hindsight.

Also it's loving funny and a senior tech called it out during my interview and we laughed about it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

My Reader Rabbit knowledge knows no equal.

My "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" Deluxe Ed. by Broderbund expertise cannot be challenged!

https://www.bestoldgames.net/where-in-the-world-is-carmen-sandiego-deluxe/play

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

thewizardofshoe posted:

I listed Windows 3.1 experience on my resume for my current job because I touched a few PCs running it when I was baby, to really drive home the narrative I was selling of being a lifelong computer hobbyist as a foundational experience. Didn't think to include Apple II alongside it for some reason, shoulda in hindsight.

Sorry, we are looking for someone with windows 1.0 experience at minimum.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 24, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Just got out of job interview, I think it went okay?

The county needs a goddamn miracle to get it's tech infrastructure it's so much worse than what was posted and what they need.

Head guy has only been there for three years because the director and assistant director both left a poo poo show of a department behind letting every department do their own thing and no accountability, he's had to try and make a team rebuild a dept from essentially scratch. Understandably no one wants to stay.

It's...... it's a lot. I don't mind sink or swim but when he openly admits that everyone has multiple projects and no one can really help, it doesn't paint a pretty picture. Also 48k a year.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Jiro posted:

Also 48k a year.

:eyepop:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jiro posted:

Also 48k a year.

Uhhhhhhhhhh. Where do you live? Whats the job? Thats below entry level pay just about everywhere in the country now for IT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A job with management responsibilities, engaging higher-ups in budget discussions and causing you actual stress is six figgies territory.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

actual stress is six figgies territory.

New thread title.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh. Where do you live? Whats the job? Thats below entry level pay just about everywhere in the country now for IT.

Hidalgo County TX, it's a county job.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Is the county unionized?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Did you just not post from an alt account by accident

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the location of the job came up before and skip also lives in texas

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Haha got it was waiting to see if I needed to delete my post :laugh:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Hidalgo County TX, it's a county job.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/hidalgocountytx/jobs/3916087/cybersecurity-analyst-ii

Here's the job post.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

KillHour posted:

New thread title.

+1

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
lmao AND it’s salaried, Jesus Christ

Even Florida pays better than that, goddamn

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The salary reflects the location in Texas, and the reality that for most of the summer, the job is just to sit in the dark and wait for the power to the SIEM appliance to come back on.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

KillHour posted:

New thread title.

Do the needful IE

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

New thread title.

If we're talking new thread titles, "working was very much accidental" is head and shoulders above the rest

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Then you’re doing it right probably. It’s not a bad idea, you get yours hands on stuff you shouldn’t normally because lol MSPs. I’d personally get a year under my belt and then start interviewing elsewhere but at be same time my own company has an MSP that is very eight hours a day and great culture with low turnover where they do semi cool and definitely modern work so it’s very situational I’m guessing

I'm 3 years into my IT Career (thank you, this thread, for saving me from my previous career) with an MSP and I have been responsible for/touched high-level poo poo that I should not have been anywhere near. It can really help you grow and develop but dear god make sure you know when to get out

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

actual stress is six figgies territory.

This is going to be my argument for a substantial raise this year :haw:

E: except that since I live in :norway: - it's seven figgies territory :black101:
(1 USD = 10.5 NOK)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

The salary reflects the location in Texas, and the reality that for most of the wet summer then then turns into a freeze that immobilizes 3/4 of the state, the job is just to sit in the dark and wait for the power to the SIEM appliance to come back on.

Fixed for ERCOT accuracy, but also yes the actual hot summer will absolutely have rolling blackouts etc etc etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

New thread title.

so say we all

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thats old news, its "this is the way" now

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Nah.. There is more than private industry, rural public institutions need IT too and government jobs pay poo poo. I just hired an entry level deskside tech for $33k because that's all Sarah Huckabee will let me pay for that appropriation. My senior people only make $55k. It sucks! But is what it is.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Warmachine posted:

If we're talking new thread titles, "working was very much accidental" is head and shoulders above the rest

Completely agreed but as usual Internet Explorer is just gonna display what it wants to and gently caress you

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I’ve been messing with chatgpt for a while today this poo poo is stupid, you can bully it into being wrong/right about everything and it is wrong on the first attempt so many times

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

chatgpt was trained on the text content of the internet, and its accuracy reflects a probabilistic model of that training data

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also

https://twitter.com/aedison/status/1639233873841201153?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Sysadmin decided to do a VPN change at 12pm and it's going Great

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

On a Friday? They must be new

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

On a Friday? They must be new

I'd do it just to give people an excuse for an early out

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

People keep trying to make their inability to run their meetings IT's problem today and I went from really mad to really amused over the course of this morning. As much as they want to blame IT everything works until these jokers gently caress it up and all of your high pressure meeting attendees can see that. Lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Completely agreed but as usual Internet Explorer is just gonna display what it wants to and gently caress you

A/B testing, and buddy, you're a B