Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Maxroll and Icey Veins seem to offer somewhat different approaches to Tal's this season, including differences in whether I want the Tal's amulet (suggested by the latter) or not (the former). Any particular leanings as to which to go for? I started this wizard build because I had a Tal's amulet drop on my DH, so that's what I've got going now, but am not sure if it's worth working towards what Maxroll recommends instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unless you're literally getting one shot by everything in the instance then you absolutely want Squirt's, Wizards can stack mega-shields with Galvanizing Ward + Deflection and 100% more damage from a single item slot is too good to pass up.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Unless you're literally getting one shot by everything in the instance then you absolutely want Squirt's, Wizards can stack mega-shields with Galvanizing Ward + Deflection and 100% more damage from a single item slot is too good to pass up.

Thanks, Tea. Time to start searching for an amulet. And I guess a Mempo so I can cube it.

EDIT: And my patience was rewarded with a primal Squirts, which is probably the first good primal I've ever seen in D3.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 23, 2023

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I switched from Guardian's to Aughilds at P1100 or so with a good Karini and the difference is immense.

McCoy Pauley posted:

EDIT: And my patience was rewarded with a primal Squirts, which is probably the first good primal I've ever seen in D3.

Nice.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
So what skills layout do I want for Tal's? I'm realizing as I look more closely that while Icey Veins has Spectral Blades on LMB, a number of the builds on Maxroll have magic weapon on LMB instead, and seem to rely on teleporting to do your damage.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
With tals you want all of the different elements doing damage so the meteors keep dropping, that's probably why the magic weapon is there.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
I typically play Tal with storm armor or magic weapon on LMB because I don't want anything related to an attack I plan to use more than once on a button that will move my character on a misclick. But really, button layouts should usually be whatever makes you most comfortable.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i find magic weapon on lmb meant i was chewing through mana unnecessarily when moving around and accidentally left clicking on monsters but i fixed that by assigning force move to space bar. it seems weird it doesnt have a default key tbh

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Force move on mousewheel down and never look back.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Force move on mousewheel down and never look back.

Set the alt key bind for force move to mouse scroll up then never look back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Shift step 4 lyfe.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, at this point I exclusively use middle mouse to force move, left click is my main attack I spam, right click is a more expensive ability I still use often, and 1is my mobility skill.

I remember not too long ago, every build used the Endless Walk set. When did Squirt's Necklace become so ubiquitous? Even WOL monk is using it, despite the fact that it's mostly useless due to being melee and lacking shields until you get a shield pylon because it's just so good when you do.

One thing I noticed now, is that when I play with my friends, I'm actually starting to struggle in echoing nightmares now, just because I can't wear my Unity. I replaced it with a fire SOJ, but there's no good way to make up the 50% damage reduction it was giving me. Like, I can randomly get 1-shot around level 110. I'm also a lot squishier in GR 90 runs, but i can just play a little more carefully there. My friends are playing DH and Wiz, but they're GoD and Firebird right now so I'm the main trash killer. Not a whole lot of CC though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Feel a little.dumb asking this with the large number of hours in Diablo 3 I have under my belt, but what is "force move" for? Where/how would I want to use it as, say, a GoD DH or Tals wizard?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Mouse 4 for stand still and mouse 5 for force move. Been that way since 2012.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Feel a little.dumb asking this with the large number of hours in Diablo 3 I have under my belt, but what is "force move" for? Where/how would I want to use it as, say, a GoD DH or Tals wizard?

Moving with left click moves you, unless you click on an enemy, then it uses your left click ability. Force Move only moves you, so I use that so I always move when I want to, and don't accidentally click on an enemy and attack instead of moving. For GoD you probably don't need that, since moving and attacking are the same thing with strafe. Might be more useful on Tals though

Shift is the opposite, shift+click means you only attack and don't move

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

McCoy Pauley posted:

So what skills layout do I want for Tal's? I'm realizing as I look more closely that while Icey Veins has Spectral Blades on LMB, a number of the builds on Maxroll have magic weapon on LMB instead, and seem to rely on teleporting to do your damage.

So keep in mind there are 3 main variants for Tals meteor - the classic GR Pushing build which uses halo of karini, CoE, Squirts, Grand Vizier, with black hole, meteor, familiar, storm armor, teleport and magic weapon;

the GR Speeds build which uses In-Geom, with explosive blast, meteor, familiar, ice armor, diamond skin and teleport;

and the newer T16 Bounties/Key farming build that swaps explosive blast for magic weapon and uses Aether Walker and the crafted source for infinite teleport uptime. Both of the latter swap in Stone of Jordan instead of Karini, and usually run Prides Fall and the Tal Rasha amulet with squirts in the cube.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

So keep in mind there are 3 main variants for Tals meteor - the classic GR Pushing build which uses halo of karini, CoE, Squirts, Grand Vizier, with black hole, meteor, familiar, storm armor, teleport and magic weapon;

the GR Speeds build which uses In-Geom, with explosive blast, meteor, familiar, ice armor, diamond skin and teleport;

and the newer T16 Bounties/Key farming build that swaps explosive blast for magic weapon and uses Aether Walker and the crafted source for infinite teleport uptime. Both of the latter swap in Stone of Jordan instead of Karini, and usually run Prides Fall and the Tal Rasha amulet with squirts in the cube.

Hmm -- was not aware of those other two variations, but now I have some more stuff to grind. Thanks.

And I guess thinking of force move as the opposite of "shift+LMB" makes a lot of sense to me

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The In-Geom variant makes it a bit more viable for speeds. It's squishier without Karini, but if you focus on finding and getting the first elite pack down you can basically hold down teleport teleport on your way to the next one and let the 4pce bonus do the killing for you.

Once you get a handle on the mechanics it's loads of fun, and you can keep up with a GoD DH in speed GRs.

The Aether Walker setup is just ridiculous for bounties or key farming. You basically have a 0 cooldown teleport that mows trash and will clear an entire floor in under a minute if you can stay on top of Arcane Power. I find it lacks hard in that area though, and sustained DPS is awful so I don't recommend it for GRs or echoing nightmare.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

What's the reason for chosing familiar over magic weapon?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Familiar triggers Tal Rasha stacks.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Don Dongington posted:

The Aether Walker setup is just ridiculous for bounties or key farming. You basically have a 0 cooldown teleport that mows trash and will clear an entire floor in under a minute if you can stay on top of Arcane Power. I find it lacks hard in that area though, and sustained DPS is awful so I don't recommend it for GRs or echoing nightmare.

Idk how you've built your aether walker setup but I've gone for more resource cost reduction and it feels amazing, never run out of arcane power. I think I'm at 40%.
Much prefer it over the in-geom version where it can take a while to find your first elite

I use it for echoing nightmares and sub-2 minute 110.

https://eu.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/Jusupov-2386/hero/162304673

Also for me and my connection it plays a lot smoother than the laggier in-geom one.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Is the Halo of Arlyse much use to me as a wizard? Had two rings drop last night and in my haste I may have confused one Halo for the other, or thought them the same, and equipped the Arlyse and foolishly cubed the Karini

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Halo of Arlyse is not especially useful, no. You’re better off wearing an RoRG with Tal’s until you can find another Karini.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Halo of Arlyse is not especially useful, no. You’re better off wearing an RoRG with Tal’s until you can find another Karini.

Thanks. Good lesson here for me about reading the entire drat name of the item, instead of just being excited it wasn't another drat leoric's signet or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It’s not the worst outcome in the world, especially if your Karini didn’t have a very high defensive roll to begin with. It’s probably even better to wear RORG until you have a ~77ish Halo.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks. Maybe time to run some.quick A1 bounties for an ancient RoRG.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

bamhand posted:

Familiar triggers Tal Rasha stacks.

You're presumably switching meteor to the lightning rune, ice armor gives cold, teleport stacks arcane, and explosive blast takes care of fire. I'm genuinely curious as to why every write up of the in-geom build picks familiar over magic weapon.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Your damage type on your weapon can trigger a meteor too just a heads up

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm not actually sure why familiar is popular on the in-geom setups given Explosive Blast - Chain Reaction does do fire damage. Maybe because it procs meteors automatically and at range, and you don't take shock armor on the speed builds?

Might have to play with both, given how great Conduit is on my pushing build.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Lmao looking at the leaderboard people are doing 2-3 minute 150s in Tal Rasha meanwhile I'm doing 4-5 minute 120s…

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
For Tals do I ultimately want topaz in all my armor (rather than diamond)?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Diamonds are not very good for Int classes. If you're squishy and high paragon you're better off with rubies.

Boatswain posted:

Lmao looking at the leaderboard people are doing 2-3 minute 150s in Tal Rasha meanwhile I'm doing 4-5 minute 120s…

Those can't be legit runs can they?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

bamhand posted:

Diamonds are not very good for Int classes. If you're squishy and high paragon you're better off with rubies.

Thanks. Hadn't realized that about INT classes. Time to convert some gems.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Realistically you'll want Topaz's. You'd have a pretty weird build if somehow you needed more toughness over damage by the time rubies matter.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

bamhand posted:

Those can't be legit runs can they?

Yes, they absolutely can be. Medium-high paragon from running 4-player 150 speeds since early to mid week 1, good enough gear, and the right rift (1-map GR like fields or festering, transformers or slashers for trash, a conduit, a power or good potion luck) will get you a pretty outrageous time.

edit: Eljudnir's clear was a festering with armored destroyers and a power (~80% progression) into a shrouded moors with big spiders, 2 packs and a conduit at the first corner to spawn the RG. Nuk's was a fields with big bogans and a 5-pack conduit.

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 25, 2023

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
And remember for all those insane clear times there’s an untold number of grifts they bailed on immediately upon seeing the first floor

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Then you close some more when the pylons don't cooperate, or you get bad elite types/affixes, or you get 80% coming off of a woods floor 1 and open a keep, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just cleared a GR145 on my Frenzy Barb. I think I've got maybe one more tier left on the table from gear alone, another from augments, and the rest from mass Paragon. I'm at 2200 right now and the three Frenzy Barbs I see with GR150 clears were all around ~3000. Doable!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOuLQ1Wacnc&t=536s

This is sad but the game is old as hell I guess. One more small season then recycle from s30 onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Suburban Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOuLQ1Wacnc&t=536s

This is sad but the game is old as hell I guess. One more small season then recycle from s30 onwards.

Well, it's what we expected. I'm glad they will keep doing seasons regardless, so when you get the urge to revisit, it's there.