Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

Can you dishwash that stainless steel french press? I'm tired of glass ones cracking on me.

i just never wash mine and the coffee is delish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

i just never wash mine and the coffee is delish

the mold growth inside your machine probably has a pulse now

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skipmyseashells posted:

has anti microbial properties. it'll make you strong as an ox.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MickeyFinn posted:

Don’t drink coffee at all. You will be fine. It’s not like people are going to say “that person doesn’t drink coffee, they must like anime” and discover your horrible secret.

coffee is one of the few compounds that has a veritable mountain of real, clear evidence backing up its actually pretty awesome health benefits.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the only way to drink coffee is to make a supersaturated solution of instant coffee in microwaved tap water

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

nothing like waking up and pouring day old coffee into the same mug you've been using for a week and drinking it room temperature

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

gotta watch out for that mold i say as i crumble an oz of blue cheese onto my salad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

skipmyseashells posted:

machine? its a glass flask

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Taima posted:

coffee is one of the few compounds that has a veritable mountain of real, clear evidence backing up its actually pretty awesome health benefits.

there's something in there that is really good for you. i work at a job where i have access to a bunch of medical databases. there are a lot of studies.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

every morning i fill the reservoir of my drip maker with cold brew and run it through some of those sweet sweet folgers grounds for compound coffee

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i like to start the day by hand-grinding home roasted beans and putting them in my keurig

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

there's evidence of coffee drinkers having lower all-cause mortality and i like the theory that it's the fact coffee drinkers have something good to look forward to in the morning

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just don't understand the hand at the tiller. The US has done a lot to destroy the world system it presided over, and ... I don't really understand the belief that other countries would continue to play ball unless the ruling class of those countries were all bought off cosmopolitans. The problem is, I suppose, that the West's own actions prevented that from ever being the case? Russia and China would have had to be invited into the club in the first place for their elite to sell out national interest, correct?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

spacemang_spliff posted:

You can't just say that and not post deranged rear end examples

So, for those who aren't familiar: a bunch of hedge funds figured out they can naked short weak companies to death, and if they're successful, it's pure profit since they never have to cover their positions. They targeted GameStop and a bunch of just the most deranged psychopaths on Reddit started buying up huge swaths of the stock to take it out of the float and try to force a short squeeze. The hedge funds manipulated their way out of it but then doubled down on the naked shorting, so right now there's supposedly millions upon millions of completely synthetic shares floating around and the Reddit lunatics keep buying more and pulling it out of trading. It's a humongous game of chicken-- if GameStop goes bankrupt all the Redditors lose their shirts, whereas if they can force the issue long enough for the hedge funds to have to close their shorts, the stock price should go insane. GS posted an unexpectedly good quarterly result the other day, which drove the price up and is making everyone on both sides freak out. The poo poo with Credit Suisse and UBS and all that apparently involves some of these GameStop short bags being passed around like a really explosive hot potato, and every time somebody new gets on the hook and takes one look at the balance sheet they immediately try to bail.

So it's looking like maybe another disaster a la the Big Short is coming, and that's pretty reasonable. But then you get into the batshit stuff, where the Redditors have decided since, technically, naked shorting can leave you on the hook for exponential rises in the stock price, they're going to lock down all the legit shares, force the squeeze, and hold on until GameStop's shares are worth millions of dollars apiece, at which point capitalism will throw its hat to the ground and stamp on it and we'll all be using GameStop-branded NFTs for money. Any time anybody involved tweets anything it gets broken down and overanalyzed on a level that would make Qanon folks blush.

It's /r/superstonk where the high-test crazy is right now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

So, for those who aren't familiar: a bunch of hedge funds figured out they can naked short weak companies to death, and if they're successful, it's pure profit since they never have to cover their positions. They targeted GameStop and a bunch of just the most deranged psychopaths on Reddit started buying up huge swaths of the stock to take it out of the float and try to force a short squeeze. The hedge funds manipulated their way out of it but then doubled down on the naked shorting, so right now there's supposedly millions upon millions of completely synthetic shares floating around and the Reddit lunatics keep buying more and pulling it out of trading. It's a humongous game of chicken-- if GameStop goes bankrupt all the Redditors lose their shirts, whereas if they can force the issue long enough for the hedge funds to have to close their shorts, the stock price should go insane. GS posted an unexpectedly good quarterly result the other day, which drove the price up and is making everyone on both sides freak out. The poo poo with Credit Suisse and UBS and all that apparently involves some of these GameStop short bags being passed around like a really explosive hot potato, and every time somebody new gets on the hook and takes one look at the balance sheet they immediately try to bail.

So it's looking like maybe another disaster a la the Big Short is coming, and that's pretty reasonable. But then you get into the batshit stuff, where the Redditors have decided since, technically, naked shorting can leave you on the hook for exponential rises in the stock price, they're going to lock down all the legit shares, force the squeeze, and hold on until GameStop's shares are worth millions of dollars apiece, at which point capitalism will throw its hat to the ground and stamp on it and we'll all be using GameStop-branded NFTs for money. Any time anybody involved tweets anything it gets broken down and overanalyzed on a level that would make Qanon folks blush.

im happy for them and await more news

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I am starting to think this economic system makes no sense???

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

kazmeyer posted:

I hold one share in Gamestop in solidarity. :kiddo:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spoondick posted:

there's evidence of coffee drinkers having lower all-cause mortality and i like the theory that it's the fact coffee drinkers have something good to look forward to in the morning

Not gonna lie

My wife wakes up about two hours before me and loads the bean water machine

I loving love springing out of bed at 8:30 Am, going downstairs, and getting a mug of that good poo poo. Really juices the day up for me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Spoondick posted:

I like to think its because my heart pumps so hard for a few minutes that if there were any plaque on them valve walls it whooshes away.

but also coffee is truly delightful

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

An important detail is that it took a miracle of coordination for the Reddit posters to drive the stock to $400, and it was deflated when Robin Hood turned off the ability to buy Gamestop shares. This protected their parent company, I don't know if the SEC punished them or not, but it was a good reminder that the little guy doesn't get to win.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

😂🤣😭

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the hedgies are ffucking FINISHED

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lumpentroll posted:

😂🤣😭

😂🤣😭😂🤣😭😂🤣😭😂🤣😭😂🤣😭😂🤣😭😂🤣😭

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chamale posted:

An important detail is that it took a miracle of coordination for the Reddit posters to drive the stock to $400, and it was deflated when Robin Hood turned off the ability to buy Gamestop shares. This protected their parent company, I don't know if the SEC punished them or not, but it was a good reminder that the little guy doesn't get to win.

I was thinking about that and wonder what they will do this time if people who matter are seriously in jeopardy of losing money.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

I was saying that earlier

why don’t they increase the rates on deposits

English this for me.

Also I need land lady update. Did the victimized goon decide to follow in timothy mcveigh's footsteps?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Father Wendigo posted:

Apparently other countries can have money too??? NBD, Jan is going to look into it over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1639007347757686788?t=etJGRXQz1ASBG6lvJrdhug&s=19

just put this loving stupid bitch in the ground already ffs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

yellen hasn’t seemed very impressive idk

joe decided to let jpow decide all economic policy because he didn't want to have to make any decisions so she really doesn't have much to do

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

kazmeyer posted:

I don't think GameStop is going to go bankrupt since they've shored up some of their business and shed a lot of debt, but revenue has tanked considerably in the last decade and it's not exactly growing. Their core business of actually selling games has maybe, at best, one console cycle left, and the person leading the helm is a guy that's obsessed with NFT's and other tech bro nonsense. Perhaps they'll go the AMC route and fleece their shareholders with zany stock offerings, but other than that they don't really have a whole lot of options since the digital market on PC is controlled by Steam, even Epic can't really break that monopoly.

I wouldn't really trust the people on Superstonk with their information, most of those people will extrapolate any potential thing, or just outright make stuff up, in order to try and pump the stock price. They're similar to crypto people in the way they'll misuse jargon and terminology that describes an actual thing, in order to make up fantasy claims that justify their position. For example one of the current top posts is "due diligence" about how gamestop shares are "going dark" (aka the company is delisting it's stock) to dry up the float on those dastardly shorts. The OPs evidence comes from putting gamestop in a patent search engine, and finding one named "methods and systems for a blockchain transfer agent protocol", which... I'm honestly not sure what the connection is but the OP assures me there is one.

Look, goons might be fuckin stupid, but redditors are actual knuckle draggers. And besides the one brief window they got one over on institutional shorts, they've been getting their clocks cleaned ever since. You're fighting a machine that has infinite cash to load into a gattling gun and fire at the mobs of people dumb enough to wander into no mans land.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

didn't the hedge funds solve this problem by having robinhood steal all their customers' gamestop stocks and sell them

e: yeah like someone else said

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
yeah i thought it had come out that the hedge funds played reddit hard

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beached Whale posted:

I don't think GameStop is going to go bankrupt since they've shored up some of their business and shed a lot of debt, but revenue has tanked considerably in the last decade and it's not exactly growing. Their core business of actually selling games has maybe, at best, one console cycle left, and the person leading the helm is a guy that's obsessed with NFT's and other tech bro nonsense. Perhaps they'll go the AMC route and fleece their shareholders with zany stock offerings, but other than that they don't really have a whole lot of options since the digital market on PC is controlled by Steam, even Epic can't really break that monopoly.

I wouldn't really trust the people on Superstonk with their information, most of those people will extrapolate any potential thing, or just outright make stuff up, in order to try and pump the stock price. They're similar to crypto people in the way they'll misuse jargon and terminology that describes an actual thing, in order to make up fantasy claims that justify their position. For example one of the current top posts is "due diligence" about how gamestop shares are "going dark" (aka the company is delisting it's stock) to dry up the float on those dastardly shorts. The OPs evidence comes from putting gamestop in a patent search engine, and finding one named "methods and systems for a blockchain transfer agent protocol", which... I'm honestly not sure what the connection is but the OP assures me there is one.

Look, goons might be fuckin stupid, but redditors are actual knuckle draggers. And besides the one brief window they got one over on institutional shorts, they've been getting their clocks cleaned ever since. You're fighting a machine that has infinite cash to load into a gattling gun and fire at the mobs of people dumb enough to wander into no mans land.

Not to mention the institutions can just manipulate the tools so things like your buy or sell orders just won't work right when you need it to.

Oh sorry, system outages. Software bug. You know how it is. We're sorry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So is doomtrain going to tell us what happened?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Beached Whale posted:

Yeah, that's what's so great about it-- you'll see stuff where people are drawing completely reasonable inferences based on financial news, and then you'll see batshit stuff like that, and it's all accepted at face value there without question. I just get a kick out of the far end, the folks who believe that one share of GameStop stock is going to be their ticket to not just generational wealth but owning their own country.

Shear Modulus posted:

didn't the hedge funds solve this problem by having robinhood steal all their customers' gamestop stocks and sell them

e: yeah like someone else said

Oh yeah, whatever Robinhood did to them a couple years ago they were furious about. Now they've taken to buying all their shares from GameStop's transfer agent directly, with the idea that takes them out of "play" so to speak to be used against them. Apparently the company wasn't prepared to deal with tens of thousands of Reddit maniacs, and are apparently still doing a fair amount of the business using postal mail.

But yeah, it's very crypto-esque (outside of the literal crypto poo poo) insofar as they think they're going to beat capitalism with math.

kazmeyer has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Mar 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Beached Whale posted:

... but other than that they don't really have a whole lot of options since the digital market on PC is controlled by Steam, even Epic can't really break that monopoly.

Epic would've had a much easier time breaking the Steam monopoly if the user experience for actually using EGS wasn't utter rancid trash.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The official policy of the CCP towards the US is something they call "managed decline".

From their point of view, they've already won. They own the means of production, now all they have to do is outcompete western capital with their obviously more stable system. Meanwhile, the west is in a state of decline. Europe is pretty worthless. It has a trade deficit and is basically demilitarized. Ukraine is at war, France is on fire, Germany is out of gas, Italy has gone full fash. In the middle east, Israel is also on fire, the Saudis are hopping ship, and America left an army's worth of equipment in Iraq who is now cutting deals with China.

Everything is falling apart, all they have to do is wait. That's why they don't act when America puts troops in Taiwan. The one thing that could gently caress it all up is a direct nuclear conflict so they're just gonna avoid that provocation at all costs.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, that's what's so great about it-- you'll see stuff where people are drawing completely reasonable inferences based on financial news, and then you'll see batshit stuff like that, and it's all accepted at face value there without question. I just get a kick out of the far end, the folks who believe that one share of GameStop stock is going to be their ticket to not just generational wealth but owning their own country.

I mostly just feel bad for the true believers. My partner has a friend who divorced their husband for various reasons, mostly financial mismanagement. He had a brilliant plan, where if you don't pay your mortgage, the banks will actually just bluff on foreclosure and you can live in your house for free (few know this). He's been reduced to selling his furniture on facebook marketplace, while also holding down his side hustle of constantly shilling for meme stonks on twitter. He calls himself a "divorce ape" and has managed to burn through his marriage, his house, and pretty much all of his possessions so he can go to disney world multiple times a year and buy AMC.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dudes rock

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Beached Whale posted:

He calls himself a "divorce ape"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah i thought it had come out that the hedge funds played reddit hard

The first wave of Redditors actually did manage to swindle a bunch of money from hedge funds. Pump and dumps are so effective that it's illegal for an individual to lead one, but there's no law against a ton of people doing a pump and dump as a meme. However, everyone who bought in after the peak got left holding the bag, and now they're desperate to convince themselves that they didn't actually waste $10,000 being idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
divorce ape lol

doesn't matter. it's fine. hodl. when this poo poo pops, i'm gonna have SO MANY WIVES