Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if what prighozin is saying is true abd ukraine has a big reserve force capable of doing a big offensive russia is in trouble for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

CODChimera posted:

So how long until I get to play in a video game as a regular Ukrainian a.k.a hero… to defeat the Russians in their failed war of 2022?

first comment after opening up the live thread. also there's some chatter of Wagner withdrawing?

so after all these months of crowing the russians have even failed to take bakhmut?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DancingShade posted:

Ah got it.

Norway: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Denmark: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Finland: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Sweden: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden: Phew problem solved. Now we can cut the budget a bit.

well norway and denmark have both acquired f-35-based airforces in the past years. sweden's still trying to use its own MIC to secure its skies, but now finland has also gone f-35

my guess is that this is mostly a push to finally get rid of the swedish aerospace defence industry as a competitor, with a "nordicisation" gloss as well as trying to pretend that sweden is getting into NATO despite not being a member.

security policy up here is incredibly dumb

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rynoto posted:

Pretty sure even the most hardcore nationalists in the UK military know that if the US abandons them they'll instantly fold.

Do you follow UK political discourse at all? The consensus is that we remain a significant military power with the respect of the world, and we just need to waste a few billion more than we are already on stupid poo poo like those aircraft carriers for everything to be perfect.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its easy to get confued but the uk and the ukraine are not the same thing

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

Ah got it.

Norway: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Denmark: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Finland: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Sweden: Our airforce is woeful and decrepit, if we work with the others we can rely on them and won't need to do so much effort.

Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden: Phew problem solved. Now we can cut the budget a bit.

A great excuse for when your country actually faces a military threat and you've got nothing whatsoever to put in the air: "Our 3 partner nations didn't contribute what they should have: it's all their fault!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

reported

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
lol https://twitter.com/uamemesforces/status/1638996620850208768

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pistol_Pete posted:

Do you follow UK political discourse at all? The consensus is that we remain a significant military power with the respect of the world, and we just need to waste a few billion more than we are already on stupid poo poo like those aircraft carriers for everything to be perfect.

I saw HMS Queen Elizabeth when I was out on the piss in Portsmouth the other week. It looked pretty impressive, if you didn't know that there's no planes on it and it's basically an extremely expensive floating football pitch.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

these guys dont seem to be performing as well as the regular forces

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

*counters* reported

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pistol_Pete posted:

I saw HMS Queen Elizabeth when I was out on the piss in Portsmouth the other week. It looked pretty impressive, if you didn't know that there's no planes on it and it's basically an extremely expensive floating football pitch.

Well better than the HMS Prince of Wales which is still under repair after one of her propellers disconnected from its drive shaft. They are also replacing at least 5 of their frigates with a lighter class aimed at air defense.

The Australian sub thing was extra humorous too since the French subs would have at least been started to be commissioned in the 2030s, while the new subs won't be ready until the 2040s if not the 2050s. The US and the UK have did a great job making sure that the Australians probably won't have a new sub fleet in any type of time frame when they would be useful.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:45 on Mar 24, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

good luck to those lawyers

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

well norway and denmark have both acquired f-35-based airforces in the past years. sweden's still trying to use its own MIC to secure its skies, but now finland has also gone f-35

my guess is that this is mostly a push to finally get rid of the swedish aerospace defence industry as a competitor, with a "nordicisation" gloss as well as trying to pretend that sweden is getting into NATO despite not being a member.

security policy up here is incredibly dumb

You say "acquired"... we haven't actually received them yet. Also they have to be maintained in Italy by the same company responsible for the IC4 train fiasco.

It was hilarious, though, when we borrowed one of the four existing F-35 simulators and it caught fire and was totally destroyed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

It’s still fantasy. No way they’re making 1500 new tanks this year.

said the guy who couldn't figure out the most obvious submarine whodunnit possible

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this thread has twinkophrenia

only cognitive bearhavioral therapy can fix it

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender
everyone arguing over a mistranslation. he actually said russia is producing 1500 tankies this year

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

someone give me a coaxial machine gun status on the 1500 tanks

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Well better than the HMS Prince of Wales which is still under repair after one of her propellers disconnected from its drive shaft. They are also replacing at least 5 of their frigates with a lighter class aimed at air defense.

The Australian sub thing was extra humorous too since the French subs would have at least been started to be commissioned in the 2030s, while the new subs won't be ready until the 2040s if not the 2050s. The US and the UK have did a great job making sure that the Australians probably won't have a new sub fleet in any type of time frame when they would be useful.

Australia is beyond hosed for sub capability now. It's effectively gone. Even if a sub gets delivered 2 decades from now nobody alive & in uniform will know how to operate it and they'll have to train a new arm from scratch. Every iota of institutional knowledge will be long gone. And the "price" is ludicrously inflated. I assume it was an all or nothing cash grab for the contractors before the empire falls. Plus even if one actually gets delivered in 2-3 decades it'll be more obsolete than the Collins relative to when they were first delivered.

Ah well. Joke nation. Joke military.

edit - to be clear I don't believe a single sub will ever be delivered. They'll "rent" a US sub and crew from the fleet if they need to play make believe shooty military. Probably for a million an hour or something. You know how it is, sellers market.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 13:15 on Mar 24, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its easy to get confued but the uk and the ukraine are not the same thing

This actually used to confuse me a lot as a kid when I watched Guts

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Cuttlefush posted:

This actually used to confuse me a lot as a kid when I watched Guts

lol I remember International Guts was the first time I ever heard of Ukraine, I thought it was a cool flag, nice colors.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Some Guy TT posted:

good news everyone

https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1638991916250329088

scandinavian air force voltron is no longer just a dream
Pipeline owners better watch out

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Pipeline owners better watch out

Maybe they can buy timeshares in a USN dive team to avoid having to train their own.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Turtle Watch posted:

lol I remember International Guts was the first time I ever heard of Ukraine, I thought it was a cool flag, nice colors.

they always won some aggro crag too

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1639100030815535108

congress' top secret intelligence gathering network: reddit

"The Donetsk city of Bakhmut" who the gently caress writes like this. I had to stop and think to figure out if they were talking about Donetsk or Bakhmut.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

they always won some aggro crag too

Slava Ucragni

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Two seater gripen looks really dumb imo. Though i do love the regular gripen.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

"The Donetsk city of Bakhmut" who the gently caress writes like this. I had to stop and think to figure out if they were talking about Donetsk or Bakhmut.

Donetsk is also a city in Donetsk.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY
20 year old ideas that are actually kinda interesting getting looked over again.

The problem is the whole concept requires close cooperation with South Africa and, well, BRICS happened in the meantime.

lol PowerPoints used to be so cool.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
nowadays they don't even let you brag about the size of your papa's cannon

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

god drat

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

DeSantis reads the gbs thread

DeSantis is the thread's most banned/probated poster.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY
20 year old ideas that are actually kinda interesting getting looked over again.

The problem is the whole concept requires close cooperation with South Africa and, well, BRICS happened in the meantime.

I thought military PowerPoints were notorious for being terrible? Or is that exclusive to the US military?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

hot take but if Ukraine had nuclear weapons they probably wouldn't have been invaded

It's a debatable take as a nuclear Ukraine probably mean less foreign aid and more govt expense to maintain the nukes and at least 1 credible launch vector. IIRC, the launch vector Ukraine had were ICBMs with minimal range too long to strike anything but the Russian far east and missiles launched from planes like TU-160 Blackjack which I don't think they could have maintained medium/long term.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

It would have been a great historical irony if the USA had ended up creating the very "rogue nuclear-armed state run by madmen" they used as a boogeyman for so long, thankfully that did not happen, they just settled for the conventional version

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
South africa has good relationships with it's neighbors tho.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I thought military PowerPoints were notorious for being terrible? Or is that exclusive to the US military?

No they're all bad, but I can't imaging ending a proposed artillery weapon system deck with "Not your daddy's field artillery piece".

People were just discovering the art form back then, it was like jazz.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

if what prighozin is saying is true abd ukraine has a big reserve force capable of doing a big offensive russia is in trouble for sure

BIG (if true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

South africa has good relationships with it's neighbors tho.

Granted, Ukraine and South Africa kind of flip flopped from the early 1990s though in terms of politics.