Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

credburn posted:

Does Jon Benjamin as a voice actor have any range whatsoever? He's a good actor, but out of the like dozen characters I've heard him voice, it's never been anything other than Jon Benjamin.

more than you'd think. in home movies he's very recognisable as coach mcguirk, but he also plays Jason and other bit parts where it's much less obvious. compare these two vids and you'll know what i mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfFZfzPAOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTNvKjbnhhw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Does Jon Benjamin as a voice actor have any range whatsoever? He's a good actor, but out of the like dozen characters I've heard him voice, it's never been anything other than Jon Benjamin.

You don’t ask george wendt to do a crazy voice, you work with the great tones you got

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CainFortea posted:

Or just don't use blank firing guns at all.

Or just don't put things into a gun you don't want to be propelled out of the barrel.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Or just don't put things into a gun you don't want to be propelled out of the barrel.

Things can happen without you doing it on purpose. There's a word for this. It's called "accident".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like that by the midpoint of t2 even the other characters are sick of Sarah's monologuing.

Now I know why you monologue. But it is something I will never do.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CainFortea posted:

Things can happen without you doing it on purpose. There's a word for this. It's called "accident".

No, it's called "criminal negligence". Even Joe Sixpack is supposed to open the beach and see if light is able to make it through the barrel, and he's not a professional being paid to make sure everything is safe.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

CainFortea posted:

Or just don't use blank firing guns at all.

Was it Weta Workshop that was working on prop guns that look and feel real and eject brass etc but are not guns at all and can't fire anything? I saw a video about it a few years ago but haven't heard anything since.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A big reason why Hollywood has been so heavily unionised and formalised with procedures and regulations is specifically because this amateur hour poo poo can, does and has gotten people killed. Regulations are written in blood, and all. Even props that use any kind of explosive are dangerous equipment that can kill people if used incorrectly, and must be treated as such. And that's specifically what you have an armorer on set to do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BioEnchanted posted:

I love how his mother is exactly like him, obsessed with sex and alcohol, but she couches it in a classier veneer. Like Archer's all screwing any hot girl who'll have him, but his mother has moments like with the bug in downing street where she completely unnecessarily is like "I modeled the breasts after my own... and may I just say they're still a dead ringer."

Jessica Walter really owned that role, simply perfect.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah I still like archer and that's overwhelmingly because I like the cast.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big reason why Hollywood has been so heavily unionised and formalised with procedures and regulations is specifically because this amateur hour poo poo can, does and has gotten people killed. Regulations are written in blood, and all. Even props that use any kind of explosive are dangerous equipment that can kill people if used incorrectly, and must be treated as such. And that's specifically what you have an armorer on set to do.

All you have to do is look at John Landis’s behavior before, during, and after the Twilight Zone accident.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I still like archer and that's overwhelmingly because I like the cast.

It's such a great cast, excellent performances all around, and they're all pretty rad people in real life.

Literally every character in the show is a major piece of poo poo, with basically no morals or ethics whatsoever, that's sort of the point :)

Pam rules pretty hard, though.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Mar 24, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

All you have to do is look at John Landis’s behavior before, during, and after the Twilight Zone accident.

I just went to read what else John Landis has been up to and found his last two executive-produced films were called Some Guy Who Kills People and I Hate Kids.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, look at how Max turned out.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

even if you’re shooting a romcom there are plenty of things on a film set that can hurt or kill you.

The sheer physical size of lights and the amount of power it takes the run them is still high, even though both have come down by an order of magnitude in the last few years. People on scaffolding or cranes are often right out of frame, doing anything from running a fan exactly the right way to manually holding a bounce board. There are camera tracks on the floor and they’re easy to trip on. You could be running 3-phase power in simulated rain.

The list goes on and on.

It really bothers be that what, a decade after “Safety for Sarah” Baldwin, who has done a LOT of Union productions got involved in this kind of half-assed non-union production. I can’t imagine he needed the money that bad.

I know nothing about how the unions work, but why doesn’t SAG-AFTRA or DGA discourage members working on sets without trade unions?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wait, Rust was a non-union set?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, Rust was a non-union set?

After the union all walked because of rampant safety violations and production shortcuts, yes.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I mean, look at how Max turned out.

The dangers of a helicopter parent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: ^^^^ oh my god...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

After the union all walked because of rampant safety violations and production shortcuts, yes.

Jfc, I must've missed that part, holy poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Mar 24, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Marcade posted:

The dangers of a helicopter parent.

:vince:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

every time max landis gets mentioned someone makes that joke

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like that by the midpoint of t2 even the other characters are sick of Sarah's monologuing.

When she starts going off at Dyson about how men can only make things that destroy and will never know what its like to grow life inside them and everyone in the room (as well as everyone in the audience) rolls their eyes before John tells her to just STFU already!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Len posted:

They sure do, and every time they do they stick the landing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Len posted:

joke will soon as old as the women he preys on

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also gives me more respect for Steven Spielberg because he stated he would never work with or even talk to Landis ever again and forty years later he’s stuck to that. Landis got away with murder but at least he was denied a lucrative partnership with Spielberg for the last few decades.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
Did the Sarah Connor Chronicles leave off with a bunch of unresolved stuff since it was cancelled? I hate starting new shows that don't have a proper ending

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

eddoghetto posted:

Did the Sarah Connor Chronicles leave off with a bunch of unresolved stuff since it was cancelled? I hate starting new shows that don't have a proper ending

Extremely. Big cliffhanger and everything.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Intrigued by what I've read in this thread, I've been watching TSCC and wow, this feels like it would be a great show if it had come out maybe fifteen years later. This came out I think before 24? Before shows started having progressively developing plots. But everything about this kind of sucks. All the CG is dated extremely badly, all the violence is held back, it's got way too much of that mouthbreather-girl look that was for some reason super attractive for a while, and a lot of the actors they use have the charisma of a potato. And just the general bad parts of Terminator -- like instead of killing their target they throw them around a bit, and also terminators are weirdly bad shots.

But it would be hard to make a Terminator movie starting out in modern times. Having to use a phonebook or break into school records to even find John Connor is a big part of the hunt and all that is made pretty redundant by today's technology and social media.

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Mar 26, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

Intrigued by what I've read in this thread, I've been watching TSCC and wow, this feels like it would be a great show if it had come out maybe fifteen years later. This came out I think before 24? Before shows started having progressively developing plots. But everything about this kind of sucks. All the CG is dated extremely badly, all the violence is held back, it's got way too much of that mouthbreather-girl look that was for some reason super attractive for a while, and a lot of the actors they use have the charisma of a potato. And just the general bad parts of Terminator -- like instead of killing their target they throw them around a bit, and also terminators are weirdly bad shots.

But it would be hard to make a Terminator movie starting out in modern times. Having to use a phonebook or break into school records to even find John Connor is a big part of the hunt and all that is made pretty redundant by today's technology and social media.

TSCC was 2008

24 started in 2001

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Len posted:

TSCC was 2008

24 started in 2001

I honestly thought TSCC was released right alongside Terminator 3 :O

Which I thought came earlier :O

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

credburn posted:

I don't necessarily agree. I mean, wasn't Dark Fate like within the last 5 years? Don't people mostly consider that one the true 3rd film?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

credburn posted:

I honestly thought TSCC was released right alongside Terminator 3 :O

Which I thought came earlier :O

It was actually released two years before Terminator: Genisys, which was part of why it was cancelled - Fox didn't want two timelines running side by side and confusing viewers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Jedit posted:

It was actually released two years before Terminator: Genisys, which was part of why it was cancelled - Fox didn't want two timelines running side by side and confusing viewers.

I guess this is ironic? Don't you think?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I wonder how many pitches they have to sit through of people proposing to 'fix' the continuity and explain everything like who the first John Connor's father was.

Unless it was just Reese going back in time to stop something else and coincidentally banging Sarah Connor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beachcomber posted:

I wonder how many pitches they have to sit through of people proposing to 'fix' the continuity and explain everything like who the first John Connor's father was.

Unless it was just Reese going back in time to stop something else and coincidentally banging Sarah Connor.

It was either Stan Morsky (the guy who stood Sarah up) or a random hookup that she met in Tech Noir after he stood her up. Not hard to handwave.

Anyway, the point of the first movie is that time is cyclic. The events of Terminator lead to both the birth of John and the creation of Skynet: there was a scene in the script where we see what Dyson hints at in the sequel about Cyberdyne's founders taking the arm and chip.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think I said, the point that a lot of people miss- hell, Dark Fate outright rubs it in your face- as long as the conditions to create Skynet or something like it exist, things will play out more or less the same way. The Terminators and everything else Skynet uses are shown to be explicitly refinements of what already exists in the past. Both Skynet and the Resistance are myopic about that, but to be fair they're just working with what they know, and the Resistance is specifically sending agents to counter Skynet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also it's a time paradox to setup either an action movie or a slasher movie, it doesn't have to make sense.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It could be a Dark situation too, where The creation of time travel creates a looping, branching, series of alternate timeline-universes that proceed generally within similar patterns to each other, but wildly differently than the mainline timeline would've gone. -- major spoiler for the overall arc and last season of Dark.

edit: Apparently the title isn't in all caps.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Mar 28, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
What does DARK stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

What does DARK stand for?

Nothing - it's not an acronym, it's the title of a grim reboot of The Maiden Of Orleans