Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

*extremely Pete Buttigeig voice*

"actually, radioactive leaks happen all the time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

music is just physics

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
all the banks are fine. why even report about it?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tritium is meh and this is a scheduled outage

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

mawarannahr posted:

music is just physics

This is how I get students interested in physics when they have no idea what science they want to study.

It's all waves people.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I just don't understand the hand at the tiller. The US has done a lot to destroy the world system it presided over, and ... I don't really understand the belief that other countries would continue to play ball unless the ruling class of those countries were all bought off cosmopolitans. The problem is, I suppose, that the West's own actions prevented that from ever being the case? Russia and China would have had to be invited into the club in the first place for their elite to sell out national interest, correct?

Realish answer: Xi is not a capitalist. The capitalist mindset relies on being able to translate things directly into money, and it cannot understand someone who has a higher priority and longer term thinking. Capitalism has nothing that Xi does not already have: does he need another boat or a bigger house or fancier suits? No, he does not. He doesn't give a poo poo because he has all of that already. He is much more occupied with empire building, and ensuring the continuity of Chinese power both domestically and across the globe. Western companies have little to offer him. Legacy and trust cannot be purchased, and the idea that, say, a ruling seat in the CCP cannot be bought is baffling to the capitalist mindset, because they have purchased political power in every other country. The idea that they cannot tempt/force someone into being short term selfish at the expense of long term goals breaks the whole system, so they'll fight tooth and nail to prevent that from occurring.

Stupid answer: You know that weird guy in his mid-50s who doesn't understand why the college "co-eds" don't want to gently caress him, even though he used to be quarterback and captain of the high school football team? Now, change it so the ages are 80 and 13, and the guy keeps sniffing hair while his son smokes crack in a sensory deprivation chamber.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The official policy of the CCP towards the US is something they call "managed decline".

From their point of view, they've already won. They own the means of production, now all they have to do is outcompete western capital with their obviously more stable system. Meanwhile, the west is in a state of decline. Europe is pretty worthless. It has a trade deficit and is basically demilitarized. Ukraine is at war, France is on fire, Germany is out of gas, Italy has gone full fash. In the middle east, Israel is also on fire, the Saudis are hopping ship, and America left an army's worth of equipment in Iraq who is now cutting deals with China.

Everything is falling apart, all they have to do is wait. That's why they don't act when America puts troops in Taiwan. The one thing that could gently caress it all up is a direct nuclear conflict so they're just gonna avoid that provocation at all costs.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

This is how I get students interested in physics when they have no idea what science they want to study.

It's all waves people.

vibe science

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Azuth0667 posted:

It's all waves people.

this but oceanography

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The 2008/9 vibes from all this strong and stable talk is a fun nostalgia trip.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The 2008/9 vibes from all this strong and stable talk is a fun nostalgia trip.

Here's another '08 flashback:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1639257565203709953

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the piss farts and vibes council

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

You don't need to sign your posts, as we can see your username to the left of your posts every time. HTH.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

no danger to the public because america doesn’t consider “the public”…ever….about anything. you’re fine because you don’t technically exist in americas eyes

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
iirc the nuclear material is a literally neglible amount of tritium. it's not at all like the ohio train dioxin poo poo

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1639258798392049664?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cuttlefush posted:

iirc the nuclear material is a literally neglible amount of tritium. it's not at all like the ohio train dioxin poo poo

That's just what George Soros WANTS you to think.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

BUY THE DIP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder when we'll start hearing about Fundamentals.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i am harry posted:

no danger to the public because america doesn’t consider “the public”…ever….about anything. you’re fine because you don’t technically exist in americas eyes

well theres at least one danger to the public, shutting down nuclear plants and transitioning to coal power lmao

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

quote:

FINANCIAL STABILITY OVERSIGHT COUNCIL

Iä! Iä! Plunge Protection Team fhtagn!

Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Financial Stability Oversight Council R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

He said it!

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1639260940725022720

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

some of the Fed Governors are extremely PISSED about this:

https://twitter.com/jackfarley96/status/1639261044609622017

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

wow the group of dumbasses that predicts the wrong poo poo every time are predicting it again

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Cooking is part craft and part art and I'm bad at all of those.

Baking is chemistry and I'm good at both of those.
Not the fancy modern "we have a cabinet full of analytical grade reagents", the traditional "come up with a working theory, run some experiments that get closer to your goal by trial and error, refine your theory (and your knowledge of the quirks of your apparatus and reagent supplier)."

Also chemistry helps when substituting ingredients and quantities in baking. Knowing what butter, egg, and flour actually do in mixtures and why lets you know how to adapt the rest of the recipe to your change.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I never thought the capitalists would eat MY face, the crime bank wailed

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1639263158668783616

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

wow the group of dumbasses that predicts the wrong poo poo every time are predicting it again

https://twitter.com/cxcarroll/status/1639263117786980356

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/GRDecter/status/1639245610099384323

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

HallelujahLee posted:

They're playing chicken with the fed because they're unemployed if things continue at this pace anyway, so why not go out with a bang? If they force the Fed's hand the party continues for a little while longer. If they're wrong nobody will blame them or remember. They are largely playing with other people's money and will most certainly have generous parachute arrangements when things go sour

There is no benefit in playing it safe if we're already on the way down. The most blatant and degenerate trader behaviors will be on display until the crisis is over. Too much money hanging in the air and too much money to be gained as the dust settles.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

the fed next week: oh god the banks are so loving strong and rigid

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

is the current strategy to just hold out for 5 market days, collapse Friday night and get bailed out by Sunday.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's essentially the same scam they've been running with Huawei: China beat Qualcomm / Samsung to 5G technology, so just raise "security concerns" to have the US and as many other allies as possible refuse to use their hardware, because competing on an even field is unacceptable when you're losing

and part of those sanctions against Huawei included preventing their phones from being able to access the Google Store and Google services. Huawei has since found ways around this, but the idea was that this would be such a big blow to convenience and usability that people would stop using Huawei phones because they'd be crippled

but you only get the ability to cripple a company in that way because Google represents such a gigantic part of the smartphone and internet ecosystem

and that takes us back to China: the "Great Firewall" of the PRC is often touted as some kind of domestic social control measure - prevent Chinese citizens from reaching out into the wider world and realize how rotten their country and their government is.

what it really is, is internet protectionism. By preventing the likes of Google and Facebook from entering and operating in the country, China has created the conditions by which their own, locally-developed internet firms can take hold, in much the same way that you'd prevent, say, Nike shoes from entering your country so that local shoe factories can continue to exist, because otherwise they'd be outcompeted by globalized Western firms with rock-bottom prices

and you want your own domestic internet firms to have room to grow, because otherwise Facebook takes over, and not only does that mean any profits from social media get expropriated by the likes of Zuckerberg (at the expense of your own citizens) but the way that these social networks are run is at the behest of Western interests, whether it means Facebook gets to influence your elections, or as we've said with Huawei, they abide by American decrees to lock your phones out of their ecosystem in an attempt to maintain monopoly conditions

or to draw yet another comparison: Joko Widodo of Indonesia recently said that he doesn't want his country's government to continue to work with Visa/Mastercard, because he understands that these are Western countries, and they could pull the plug at any time as a means of punishing or blackmailing any country or organization that leans too heavily on them. And we know this to be true because they tried to do it with Russia!

finally, this brings us all the way back to TikTok: the US is losing social media share to ByteDance, in the same way that WeChat or Weibo would have lost out to Western social media if China had simply let the latter run unregulated a decade-and-a-half ago, and they want to tug on that leash... but they're doing so in such a cack-handed manner that it's not going to work

loving thank you. Good post.

Some of the same sort of lies that our incompetent elites were spinning about Iraq in 2002/03 are the same ones being spun against China today. I even saw a commenter on Youtube refer to Tik Tok as a "WMD"

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

alarumklok posted:

the fed next week: oh god the banks are so loving strong and rigid

if your banks are this strong for more than 4 hours you need to consult a physician

turgid banks

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tristeham posted:

i feel like the american elite would rather nuke the whole world than lose their hegemony. hope i'm wrong

110%, we stopped trying and the end of the human species is worth "not losing".

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol this poo poo owns. Collapse the western speed run let's loving go

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

SAFU & STABLE

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1639230565617418240https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1639235863845523459

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

:sickos:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

binance more like dienance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

In Training posted:

is the current strategy to just hold out for 5 market days, collapse Friday night and get bailed out by Sunday.

yes