Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

YggdrasilTM posted:

More cosmic horror style

Not bad, not bad. It's getting better, but it still repeats nouns during a paragraph instead of finding synonyms. Also the ending is a giveaway. It just can't resist proselytizing at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there a way to set up chatgpt to keep memory local to your computer so it can remember your convos? Like a web browser?

This isn't for chatgpt (though I guess it wouldn't be hard to get something that pastes a conversation in and says "this is what we talked about last time" to it automatically) but I had an idea for the local models to have the conversations you had with it fine tuned back into it nightly.

Doing it in theory would be easy (you could literally just do it with cron jobs) though, very hardware intensive that at this point it would only make sense for the smaller models. But the big problem is, I'm not sure what to tell the AI during finetuning and then after in the prompt to tell it that that's it's memory, but not to entirely base the rest of its conversation off that.

I posted my guide to finetuning language models in the other thread, you use what I call a trigger word (though I think the communities moved on to calling it something else since then, the web-ui probably has a name for it but I haven't bothered to find out what), so you'd use something like that I'd imagine to specify to it where the previous conversation is.

This wouldn't have many advantages over just telling it what you talked about before in the prompt other than it would have no size limit and it would just be cool because these models don't have long term memory and this is giving it long term memory.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It looks like the ai they are building into Microsoft office knows the contents of office in it's system for grounding purposes. I wonder if we will be able to leverage that by telling it to reference X document it has access to...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YggdrasilTM posted:

ChatGPT is great as idea generator, but you absolutely can't trust it to manage information, even (no, ESPECIALLY) about stuff generated by it. I tried to create some more complex rules but the only way I found to always keep consistency was to copypaste one or more of its old answers before my question.

That seems to have come up across multiple threads and uses; it can't manage information, and it doesn't really try to. See the hilarity of using it for anything related to math, or playing chess games. The programs treat numbers as it does words- interchangeable, and just slotting in the most common answer given the parameters.

Evocative descriptions are a valid use and even then it's basically just taking various descriptions and swapping around nouns and adjectives. The effect is a lot like corpo-speak jargon, or more in general someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about trying to bluff their way through with words they know the sound and vague context of.

ed: Pft, and I just got reminded of another issue; if it takes off in any meaningful way then there goes your data set, because subsequent generations of AI will be trained pretty much entirely on the deluge of AI generated content.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 21, 2023

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah but despite the text being kept and visible in a given conversation, the AI does not continue to reference it past a certain point.
If I understand the capabilities of GPT4, you could potentially have a campaign document that you linked to the AI with each prompt that would help mitigate this limitation.

What I found really fascinating was that the AI itself could not explain to me the limitations of it's memory only that it had limitations.
ChatGPT has a context limit of 4096 tokens or about 3000 words. It manages it FIFO style, so at 4100 tokens it forgets the first four tokens of your conversation. You must periodically reprompt the model with old information you want it to continue considering it, or develop a fine-tuned model. The new GPT-4 models offer up to 32k tokens of context.
https://openai.com/pricing

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

ChatGPT has a context limit of 4096 tokens or about 3000 words. It manages it FIFO style, so at 4100 tokens it forgets the first four tokens of your conversation. You must periodically reprompt the model with old information you want it to continue considering it, or develop a fine-tuned model. The new GPT-4 models offer up to 32k tokens of context.
https://openai.com/pricing

Also, for more context on how people use it, NovelAI and AI Dungeon and the like work around this by having a context system that just invisibly injects text that's repeated every time you generate text. This can vary from just adding plain text that primes the LLM, up to NovelAI's elaborate (but poorly-documented) system of tags and attributes that its models were trained on in association with given texts to cut down on the amount of tokens taken by the context.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How realistic is it for that "memory" to increase significantly in the shorter-term?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The progress in the last year or so has been insane, who even knows man.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

How realistic is it for that "memory" to increase significantly in the shorter-term?

Barely anybody has any access to even the 8K context at the moment. There isn't enough hardware to meet demand yet, so it will probably be awhile.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bummer. My current technique is to just copy+paste the most relevant bits of worldbuilding/rules/lore/etc. and include it before my prompt, but I quickly run into a character limit. I sometimes get it to summarize and compress all of that down first, but a lot of detail gets lost quickly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've been training Stable Diffusion and the future is probably a personal AI assistant of some variety.

The absolute best thing for everyone would be that I could buy, say, all of Shadowrun 2e's sourcebooks in a digestable format and just add it to my local model, all of some (paid) artist's work, then ask it some questions about Shadowrun and have it generate more work in that artist's style. Then I could train it on the stuff that I wanted as well, and gradually get an "assistant GM" that could answer my (or any player's questions) with both the stuff it synthesized and the stuff that I fed it.

Imagine a world where i paid 2 bucks for "Wayne Reynold's idea of a werewolf" and 10 bucks for "Don Bluth's background aesthetic" and then combined it. That's a pretty good world for everyone imo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

feedmyleg posted:

How much money do you have?

The limitation is, as far as I am aware, a function of the amount of hardware availability in the cluster it's running on. If you want to pay for a supercompute cluster of your very own to run a single instance, I'm sure you can get a little more context memory at hideous expense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Imagine a world where i paid 2 bucks for "Wayne Reynold's idea of a werewolf" and 10 bucks for "Don Bluth's background aesthetic" and then combined it. That's a pretty good world for everyone imo.

This is literally just wanting to underpay artists. They aren't that expensive! You can probably get that for under $100 USD easy!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is literally just wanting to underpay artists. They aren't that expensive! You can probably get that for under $100 USD easy!

Reynolds and Bluth don't accept private commissions and buying one bespoke image from each (which would be substantially less powerful than a trained model) would run a lot more than 100 bucks. I mean, this just doesn't work as a dunk. That's why I picked them both. I've actually priced the art for a project, and that's what's made me interested in AI.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You know there are other artists in the world, right? And it's literally never been easier to contact one and tell them what you want.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know there are other artists in the world, right? And it's literally never been easier to contact one and tell them what you want.

No, and I really don't enjoy being berated for doing AI poo poo in the AI thread. Move on because this isn't productive.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But would you really? I'm 100% for paying artists for their work, but if I want a picture of Harry Truman riding a dolphin while playing Call of Duty in the style of Arthur Adams just to post a one-off stupid joke online, I'm NOT really going to pay him to do it, even in the absence of this technology.

I know lot of people - hell maybe even most - aren't going to be that conscientious but the point is not everything is taking money away from artists.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

But would you really? I'm 100% for paying artists for their work, but if I want a picture of Harry Truman riding a dolphin while playing Call of Duty in the style of Arthur Adams just to post a one-off stupid joke online, I'm NOT really going to pay him to do it, even in the absence of this technology.

I feel this comes pretty close to the argument that inevitably pops up whenever :filez: is discussed, that it won't hurt sales because you would never have paid for the stuff you downloaded anyway.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

I feel this comes pretty close to the argument that inevitably pops up whenever :filez: is discussed, that it won't hurt sales because you would never have paid for the stuff you downloaded anyway.

You feel incorrectly.
This isn't a product that exists but isn't being purchased. This is a product that doesn't exist at all without being created by the user.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is people usually don't want just one image, they want a bunch. It'd be extremely expensive to pay an artist for a bunch of images, and its unrealistic to expect people to do so. Instead of having a bespoke image they'll just take some random image online and use it and the artist still won't get paid.

Also, the technology isn't there yet, but AI is getting closer to being able to create something that would be completely impractical except for maybe some crazy rich dude. Imagine if you could create a cool opening animation to a boss fight for a campaign. I think AI is going to cause a boom in independent projects which would usually only be able to be created by corporations or someone working themselves to death. (Yes, this is also going to lead to a lot of poo poo content being put out there, but you don't have to engage with it.)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

You feel incorrectly.
This isn't a product that exists but isn't being purchased. This is a product that doesn't exist at all without being created by the user.

It’s a product that isn’t being made and sold because someone would rather make a free copy of it instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a report and some frustration because this is a thread for AI tools for trad games, but what I said earlier was that debate & discussion is still allowed provided it remains civil. There is no other place in TG to have this conversation, basically, and the more generalized conversations in D&D and maybe GBS aren't about AI works in trad games.

That said: there are some intractable positions here that clearly are not going to get resolved, so at some point folks, you'll need to recognize that you've made your point.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

It’s a product that isn’t being made and sold because someone would rather make a free copy of it instead.

This is objectively incorrect.

Leperflesh posted:

There's a report and some frustration because this is a thread for AI tools for trad games, but what I said earlier was that debate & discussion is still allowed provided it remains civil. There is no other place in TG to have this conversation, basically, and the more generalized conversations in D&D and maybe GBS aren't about AI works in trad games.

That said: there are some intractable positions here that clearly are not going to get resolved, so at some point folks, you'll need to recognize that you've made your point.

No offense intended, but showing up in the "cooking steak" thread to repeatedly yell about how meat is murder and nobody should eat steak isn't "debate and discussion". You are giving people free range to make abusive off topic posts.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 24, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

quote:

I want a picture of Harry Truman riding a dolphin while playing Call of Duty in the style of Arthur Adams just to post a one-off stupid joke online, I'm NOT really going to pay him to do it

Looks like it's objectively correct! :)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

Saying incorrect things repeatedly isn't an argument.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Saying incorrect things repeatedly isn't an argument.

Then maybe you should stop doing it?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

Then maybe you should stop doing it?

I would, but then we would both be wrong. I'm going to mute you now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doctor Zero posted:

That's just because you're a wuss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Leperflesh posted:

I agree with the post in the GBS thread where they compared this technology to synthesizers in music, where people are going to keep coming in to say that it's not "real music". I really feel like these threads (both here and in GBS) are the equivalent of garages where amateur musicians (and a few pros) are fooling around with their brand new synthesizers and people are just walking in to tell them that they are all bad people who are going to ruin music.

The reason that there's "no place to have this discussion" is because 1) the discussion was inexplicably shunted out of the trad games business thread (which then promptly died because that thread is otherwise just people following Zak's Twitter so they can post about him more) 2) nobody wants to engage with the same people repeating the same low effort crap over and over.

No one jamming in their garage wants to hear from the idiots claiming they aren't making music, and no one in the burger joint wants to engage with the "the meat is murder" jackasses. Just let them start their own thread.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For me personally, depriving artists of the hundreds of dollars I would otherwise definitely pay for a custom portrait for a character for a three hour one-shot is extra value; I derive deep erotic pleasure from it.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There's no place to have the discussion because the discussion is inherently abusive, as you can see on this page.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would like to personally apologize to Ralph McQuarrie and Syd Mead's estates for using their names to inspire images for my fanfiction-based tabletop RPG that nobody will ever play. I will delete them all and commission a young struggling artist I find on Twitter to create dozens of paintings copying their styles for thousands of dollars over the course of several months instead.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I agree with the post in the GBS thread where they compared this technology to synthesizers in music, where people are going to keep coming in to say that it's not "real music". I really feel like these threads (both here and in GBS) are the equivalent of garages where amateur musicians (and a few pros) are fooling around with their brand new synthesizers and people are just walking in to tell them that they are all bad people who are going to ruin music.

The reason that there's "no place to have this discussion" is because 1) the discussion was inexplicably shunted out of the trad games business thread (which then promptly died because that thread is otherwise just people following Zak's Twitter so they can post about him more) 2) nobody wants to engage with the same people repeating the same low effort crap over and over.

No one jamming in their garage wants to hear from the idiots claiming they aren't making music, and no one in the burger joint wants to engage with the "the meat is murder" jackasses. Just let them start their own thread.

Well, the original OP is gone forever and the moderators here seem to not gaf that people are derailing the thread constantly and calling people names counts as "civil discussion"

Is there a better subforum for this thread where the moderators might actually be inclined to moderate?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just keep posting here and ignore the haters, the horrifying inevitable lurch of late stage capitalism is on our side here, for good or ill. (Mostly for ill, but at least I'll generate some NPC portraits, yay.)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 24, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

No offense intended, but showing up in the "cooking steak" thread to repeatedly yell about how meat is murder and nobody should eat steak isn't "debate and discussion". You are giving people free range to make abusive off topic posts.

Yeah just resorting to insults will result in probations, but I like to make the limits clear first.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's just because you're a wuss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This crosses the line.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

No ones allowed to plagiarize elder scrolls for their DnD campaigns anymore you gotta give me a hundred bucks to write your campaigns for you even if it's just a stupid one off for your campaign. I am entitled to your hundred bucks.

You think artists struggle, go look at writers.

This is glib but I don't see much of a difference

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There are some things I'll pay for, I'll absolutely pay for art; and I have spent a very long time getting very good at it to get exactly what I want from the artist for the money I'm spending. Commissioning art is hard, and it takes effort, knowledge and skill, particularly people skills and basic social interaction honestly beyond most peopleteenagers who try to commission their Sonic OC with their birthday money.

There's real difficulty and is such a fraught process I'm really not surprised its catching on as much as it is. Why spend the emotional labour AND money commissioning art when AI is just so much easier? There are some similarities to :filez: arguments I think that to some extent this is a problem of distribution/convenience. People trying to commission art have no idea how to do it and are going to very easily get frustrated with poor results and flock to the AI because it at least seems like it gets them what they want.

Using ChaptGPT demonstrates this. I've thought of paying someone to help me flesh out/co-write a D&D campaign, to take my broad ideas and transform them into something crunchy; but googling and going through various subreddits I made no progress; ChatGPT is free, is basically 2 clicks away, doesn't judge, doesn't argue, won't be anything other than polite and helpful. And is also way more likely to understand and make sense of what you're trying to say with minimal handholding.

I would never publish anything written with it, I'd still hire someone to look what I put together using the AI over and rewrite it, but the AI will still save me a lot of time and would have massively helped me think through things and clarify what my vision even is. Its hard to find a human you can trust to do the same.

Back to art, I wouldn't ever use AI Art in anything resembling commercial use, but my D&D campaign with friends to fill in some npc portraits? Yeah I might do that if Pinterest wasn't at this moment more convenient for me. And yeah I might see a use case for the Art AI to iterate on references which I then give to the artist who I'm still paying, what the AI Art did was help me clarify what I want so I can more carefully choose when and where to spend my limited budget.

Although this is mainly about character concept art and designs; which takes up pretty much my entire budget. Environments might be a different story; albeit if and when I get around to needing environments I'll try what I can, like using the AI to generate ideas which I then kitbash together using paid/free assets in Blender. That sort of use seems like a reasonable compromise to me for a potentially commercial product, what the customer sees is not made by AI, but I am absolutely going to do my best to save money up until the point of what the finished asset/scene/product is that does get made by a human's hand.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Comrade Koba posted:

You’re missing the point. Hypothetical Arthur Adams isn’t missing out on anything because I’d never pay him for something that inconsequential. I’d just shrug and not do anything. The only one missing out is me because if I don’t want to pay for it, the only alternative is studying and practicing art for years to be able to draw it, which isn’t going to happen either. It’s also not theft, because it’s no different than doing it myself if I did have the talent. Imitation is not theft.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Debate & Discussion has a brand new thread dedicated to uh . . . debating & discussing AI stuff. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027671&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

So that side of things seems to have a thread that wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That is a terrible argument and analogy.

A synthesizer is an electronic device that creates a musical tone. It is a piano replacement using an oscillating electronic wave in place of an oscillating string to produce sound. It does not play itself, compose for itself, or in any way create a finished work, derivative or not.

'AI' as presently implemented is a procedural iteration on a base of keyword-filtered works produced by others to generate a final result with similarities based on keywords entered. It cannot create a novel work of its own without a massive dataset of others' works to take pieces of in order to generate it.

Trying to pitch this as 'why would people jamming in their garage want to be criticized' when a fair number of the posts here are 'look at all this custom artwork I want to use, but don't want to build the skills to create or pay someone who has for their time' is incredibly disingenuous. Nobody is going to give a rat's rear end if you use AI-art, or something you copy-pasted from Pinterest or Deviantart for that matter, for your home game. Doing that on a publishing level however has huge ramifications for the industry as a whole, though, and especially for smaller artists and writers without a Disney-level legal team to protect their interests.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 27, 2023