Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Hey, thanks everyone who replied regarding Grim Dawn v. Last Epoch (I've read them all, but won't name everyone just for brevity). I appreciate the insights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Grim Dawn always seemed very messy and inelegant in its systems to me, while Last Epoch is basically Path of Exile For Dummies

GD as other have said is like a newer Titan Quest, so those who played that will probably find it just fine.

That said I myself am definitely in the camp of 'play through the campaign and fool around a bit in higher difficulties but don't worry too much about getting to the very top.'

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Dahbadu posted:

Grim Dawn:

A throwback game made by the developers of Titan Quest. There's a ton of skills, ways to modify those skills, devotions and items that give even more skills, damage conversions, and procs that proc off of procs -- so theory crafting is a big draw here. The gameplay usually turns into "tank and spank" at higher levels with a properly built character, with player skill mostly being applied to skill rotations and knowing when to move out of the way of major attacks/retreat. There are some very over tuned super bosses in the game and only fight them if you don't mind spending 30+ minutes on a fight. With Season 4, there is a ton of end-game stuff that will keep you busy for months or possibly an entire year.

Here's an example of fighting an over tuned super boss with relatively easy to get gear (Season 4), and as you can see it's almost a meme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjjXP7cBtg
(Wait for the beat drop...)

This game is great to play on HC, because you can pause it any time. I played Grim Dawn Season 4 late last year on HC and it was great: https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/mod-grim-league-season-4-post-season-version/124141

If this sounds like your cup of tea, buy the game and all the expansions when they're on sale, wait for a new Season mod to be released or play Season 4 (it's still running but the ladder is inactive). The season/league mods are built by some of the best players -- imagine if a new PoE league was like that. So Season 4 is top-notch and improves on the strengths of the game. If a Season 5 is released by the same people, I'm sure it will also be rad.

Last Epoch:

A more modern game. Building a strong character is pretty easy yet not so simple there's no fun in it, but it lacks the theory crafting depth of GD and PoE by a fair margin. The fights seem fair, and the most nasty stuff is usually telegraphed. The end-game loop with echoes and a new upgrade (made possible by the lovely crafting system) always being the next echo/map away provides a good dopamine drip, or the chance to get that upgraded or better rolled blessing by killing a boss. Most people will probably like this game more and I'm digging the hell out of it right now.

So I'd would recommend Last Epoch, unless you're a huge grognard nerd like me.

What I love the most about the crafting in LE compared to PoE is not that it's simpler. It's that it's affordable in ssf without some crazy no-life grind.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SlyFrog posted:

Hey, thanks everyone who replied regarding Grim Dawn v. Last Epoch (I've read them all, but won't name everyone just for brevity). I appreciate the insights.

I have over 160 hours in GD, and I enjoyed it a lot. Having said that, I haven't touched it in almost 3 years and I never once played it into the 'end game' where I would have to fight bosses like that one in the video just posted. I'd play through, make a new character, have fun for 20-30 hours (just guessing) and then bail on it until the next time.. the draw of which apparently ended a few years ago. I may have to give it another whirl one of these days.

I play LE the same way.. start a new character, play it into monoliths until I get bored, and then stop playing until I get the itch again.

So for me.. they are just different flavors, both good in their own ways, and both worth my money for sure. LE I currently have 148 hours in, so I can't say that I would give a hard nod to one over the other really given how I play them both (i.e. not hard core end-game player).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dahbadu posted:

Grim Dawn:

Here's an example of fighting an over tuned super boss with relatively easy to get gear (Season 4), and as you can see it's almost a meme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjjXP7cBtg
(Wait for the beat drop...)

The best part of this video is that in-game day gives way to night, then deep into the next day all for this one fight. hehe..

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Real talk, Wolcen is better than diablo 4. Pretty much on par with Last Epoch for me at the moment.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Real talk, Wolcen is better than diablo 4. Pretty much on par with Last Epoch for me at the moment.

That is...one hell of a turnaround from the state it launched in. I actually enjoyed D4 this weekend but I'd love to hear what you like about current Wolcen (they launched a major update last week, right? What changed?).

The Wolcen thread could probably use a bump so if you feel like responding there is as good as here.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Dallan Invictus posted:

That is...one hell of a turnaround from the state it launched in. I actually enjoyed D4 this weekend but I'd love to hear what you like about current Wolcen (they launched a major update last week, right? What changed?).

The Wolcen thread could probably use a bump so if you feel like responding there is as good as here.

I played on PC, didn't experience any glaring bugs other than some already identified issues with drops on certain fights not spawning. The campaign was fine from a gameplay perspective. The story was decent (on par with diablo 4 if not better). It leans into it's warhammer grim darkedness unapologetically. D4 has better sound design. Music I have no opinion of for either Wolcen or D4.

The endgame is actually pretty fun. You choose from 3 random missions (maps) at a time that each show a reward, so you can target farm to a degree. Each mission type also gives special rewards (items, gold, end game currency, etc). When you complete a mission, you also get "productivity" which is a resource you invest in your "city" to build benefits. Benefits include things like improved acquisition of gold/items/rarity/currencies, transmogs, item modification, random unique items, special difficult maps with unique rewards if you complete them, and more. The deeper you get into the end game, the more of the city you unlock and the more options you have for target farming or crafting items to improve your character.

You can also easily jump to high level missions (monster level 100+) pretty quickly. You collect "skulls" by completing missions at the hardest difficulty available, with some missions awarding 9 or 12 in one go. Once you collect enough skulls (usually 10-20), you can select missions at a higher level of difficulty. Items drop at monster level and have much higher modifiers based on their level, including uniques (the same unique can drop at level 10 and level 100 and the power level difference between them will be significant). Not sure what max level is, but it is much higher than 100 for monsters.

The mission types vary significantly in length and reward type. Headhunter missions can be completed in about 10 seconds so you can use them to really push skull collection and city building. Other missions like expedition can optionally go upwards of 15 minutes depending on how many floors you choose to clear, and have pretty decent rewards. Items are worth picking up and vendoring because they represent a significant amount of your gold income, which is required for the city building part of things.

Right now the primary loop in the end game is: do 4-5 missions, fight a special sub boss battle that weakens the real boss. Do this 3-4 times, then fight the real boss. The real boss will have a level based on the level of the missions you did. Repeat. Or, you can run the special missions you find or missions that have you fight harder versions of story bosses, things like that. Or you could just push skulls and try to clear the highest monster level you possibly can.

Right now I'm having a lot of fun with it. You're always on the lookout for item upgrades, even if it's just a couple of ilvl's higher than what you have equipped. I've only done one build, so there are a lot of skills I could still try on a second playthrough. It's good times. When I run out of city upgrades and I've cleared all the special boss battles, I will probably stop (similar to how I would in POE).

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Honestly my biggest complaint with LE at the moment is just that the offline mode feels so much better to play than online. Even playing solo, online introduces ~200ms of delay in to everything, in a way that's hard to describe without just trying it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The best example of the lag demonstration is a spiral hammer throw Sentinel. Spam out the hammers and watch the struggle as the game tries to talk to the server about where exactly all those projectiles are.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Hey, I just bought this game to try it out and was wondering if I'm having a bug or if the game's supposed to be stuck zoomed in this far:

I don't want to risk going over my two hour refund window troubleshooting only to find out it's intentional.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
Yeah, last epoch is a lot of fun but definitely a work in progress. Started a new play though last sunday with a friend and the desync issues are pretty bad...and for some reason it takes us both a solid 60sec to enter a new zone, which is just obnoxious. Would recommend offline, not so much for online play.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That's definitely a bug. You should be able to zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. Maybe try changing the resolutions around?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

explosivo posted:

That's definitely a bug. You should be able to zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. Maybe try changing the resolutions around?

Thanks, changing resolutions didn't do anything but switching to full screen and back to borderless fixed it. I was worried a dev somewhere thought only being able to see eight feet in front of you would make you appreciate the animations more lol.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So does +Damage over Time gear affect bleed, ignite, and poison from pets, or does it all get siloed off to the minion stat gulag?

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.

DeathSandwich posted:

So does +Damage over Time gear affect bleed, ignite, and poison from pets, or does it all get siloed off to the minion stat gulag?

There's a minion damage over time affix. It must have "minion" in it to affect minions (though Int provides a bonus to them as well). Don't forget plain minion damage or minion fire damage for ignite.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Pigbottom posted:

Is there an in-game way to tell what kind of damage mobs deal? Or to tell which affix is multiplicative and which is additive?

So they have some pretty explicit language for effects to tell if they're multiplicative or additive. First, if it doesn't use a percentile, it's gonna be additive, like the +X melee or spell damage on weapons. It's just extra damage, and unlike multiplicative stuff, it's applicable regardless of type. You get the +melee lightning damage on all melee attacks, even if it doesn't normally do lightning damage.

For percentile effects, the important difference is whether the effect provides "increased" damage or "more" damage. Increased damage is lumped together and not multiplicative with other effects, so all of the increased minion damage from your gear is lumped up into one summed percentile increase. If an effect instead says it provides "more" damage, it is multiplicative with all other effects, including other "more" effects. So if you've got 600% increased minion damage, and some skill node provides "50% more" damage, then you end up with 900% damage total, another "50% more" damage would bring that up to 1,350%.

In my experience, all item affixes provide either flat damage, so not a percentile, or increased damage, so not multiplicative with other effects, although there might be like a unique out there that bucks the trend. It seems like they save "more" effects for skill nodes.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

bobtheconqueror posted:

So they have some pretty explicit language for effects to tell if they're multiplicative or additive. First, if it doesn't use a percentile, it's gonna be additive, like the +X melee or spell damage on weapons. It's just extra damage, and unlike multiplicative stuff, it's applicable regardless of type. You get the +melee lightning damage on all melee attacks, even if it doesn't normally do lightning damage.

For percentile effects, the important difference is whether the effect provides "increased" damage or "more" damage. Increased damage is lumped together and not multiplicative with other effects, so all of the increased minion damage from your gear is lumped up into one summed percentile increase. If an effect instead says it provides "more" damage, it is multiplicative with all other effects, including other "more" effects. So if you've got 600% increased minion damage, and some skill node provides "50% more" damage, then you end up with 900% damage total, another "50% more" damage would bring that up to 1,350%.

In my experience, all item affixes provide either flat damage, so not a percentile, or increased damage, so not multiplicative with other effects, although there might be like a unique out there that bucks the trend. It seems like they save "more" effects for skill nodes.

Great write up. Thanks!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Controller support in this is so frustratingly close to good - it's already better than PoE which is loving embarassing when comparing GGG to this Small Indie Dev (tm)

But it has a ton of issues that are like, immediately and obviously apparent if you play on controller normally (and doubly so if you've played D3/D4/Grim Dawn/PoE/etc on a pad)

Can't complain too much, since it wasn't long ago there were basically no arpgs with good controller support, but man, zoom in/out hardbound on dpad instead of like, inventory/map? :psyduck: Stuff like that all over the place.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Feel like I'm hitting, not a wall but a steep hill, entering empowered monoliths. I can clear them but slowly and if modifiers pile up I tend to die, the big thing I need is a rare boss drop, and I haven't been getting a lot of good items recently. Not sure if I should go somewhere else for a bit and grind there instead

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I guess I need to roll an ele nova sorc now? Wish I'd had one more teleport shard.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Vulpes posted:

I guess I need to roll an ele nova sorc now? Wish I'd had one more teleport shard.

I haven't even touched legendary items yet, but I've been saving all my uniques with legendary potential and saving exalted items. Very cool craft, bro.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

victrix posted:

Controller support in this is so frustratingly close to good - it's already better than PoE which is loving embarassing when comparing GGG to this Small Indie Dev (tm)

But it has a ton of issues that are like, immediately and obviously apparent if you play on controller normally (and doubly so if you've played D3/D4/Grim Dawn/PoE/etc on a pad)

Can't complain too much, since it wasn't long ago there were basically no arpgs with good controller support, but man, zoom in/out hardbound on dpad instead of like, inventory/map? :psyduck: Stuff like that all over the place.

Just use DS4Windows. Remap whatever to whatever.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Oldstench posted:

Just use DS4Windows. Remap whatever to whatever.

Can't you just do that directly in Steam these days?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Magus42 posted:

Can't you just do that directly in Steam these days?

Probably - I don't know because I've used DS4W for so long that I just default to it if I need it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at level 71 and pushing into the 'Ending the Storm' monolith. My damage is solid but its clear I need to get some levels and really start looking at capping all of my resistances. Is my best path forward just doing close nodes in this monolith, both in terms of levelling and gearing?

I have the first two bosses down for Ending the Storm but sometimes a mob comes along and I die in 2 seconds.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The only resistance worth capping is crit avoidance. After that, stun resistance is good to get up imo. The damage resistances don't need to all be capped.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I capped out void for bosses, seems to help. My main problem is fighting these assholes when resetting a timeline. One wrong move and I'm dead.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I've been using this super handy list of monoliths: https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/timelines

Let's take Blood, Frost, and Death as an example of a monolith. For the exclusive rewards listed, does that mean a) increase drop rate in monolith echoes, or b) an increased chance of an echo/tile having a body armour reward, or both?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Neither. Each monolith has a special tile that you can only find in that monolith that gives a guaranteed unique or set item of that type. For example in Blood, Frost, and Death, you'll occasionally find tiles that reward a random unique or set body armor (though not a boss-specific one).

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Noper Q posted:

Neither. Each monolith has a special tile that you can only find in that monolith that gives a guaranteed unique or set item of that type. For example in Blood, Frost, and Death, you'll occasionally find tiles that reward a random unique or set body armor (though not a boss-specific one).

:glomp:

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Vinestalk posted:

The only resistance worth capping is crit avoidance. After that, stun resistance is good to get up imo. The damage resistances don't need to all be capped.

Building stun avoidance is mostly a trap. It will have some effect, but stun chance is also dependent on the amount of damage an attack does after mitigation and by your max health and current ward. Which means building typical defenses will improve your stun avoidance while also providing more general tankiness.

For example, on a character with typical health gearing and no points spent in passive trees you end up with 1812 hp. Adding in t5 increased health on chest armor would give you +257 hp, which is effectively also +257 stun avoidance. T5 stun avoidance in the same slot gives +525.

The numbers for how often you would be stunned with base 1812 health, t5 increased health, and t5 stun avoid would be:

250 damage hit - 18%/14%/11%
500 damage hit - 45%/38%/33%
750 damage hit - 73%/62%/54%.

And 1800 hp is the low end. As you take hp passives and add vitality the increased hp will gain effectiveness while the stun avoidance will always be the same.

The one place stun avoidance can be useful is on catalysts, since it's only really competing with resists which you might have capped elsewhere. Hybrid stun avoidance on amulet prefix is another place you can add it without sacrificing health or armor but amulet prefix is a fairly valuable offensive slot.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Good to know!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm prioritizing rune nodes now just for runes of shattering. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have multiple exalted tabs and only pick up rares if they have very specific t5 affixes.

The loot filter in this game is a marvel.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 24, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kaddish posted:

I'm prioritizing rune nodes now just for runes of shattering. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have multiple exalted tabs and only pick up rares if they have very specific t5 affixes.

The loot filter in this game is a marvel.
If you portal back to town after every echo you can get the shattering runes out of the shop in town and after the echo, but if you don't leave the Mnoloith zone the after-echo shop never updates.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Zereth posted:

If you portal back to town after every echo you can get the shattering runes out of the shop in town and after the echo, but if you don't leave the Mnoloith zone the after-echo shop never updates.

Ohhhhh, thanks, I was wondering how that refreshed. That will help.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah that's one of the more annoying changes and seems to be an artifact of them removing loading screens from the monoliths once you get started. The between worlds area likely just stays loaded so long as you stay in the echoes so the shop never resets. You can easily force it by porting anywhere, but it's still kind of frustrating.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I seem to have hit a wall on one of the bosses of the 90 Monoliths. They do a spin attack with three lasers, and I seem to take damage even if I'm not touching them. Am I missing a mechanic or is this a latency issue? My FPS drops during that fight too, so it can be difficult to tell what's happening sometimes.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I don't think you're missing a mechanic; I had a similar feeling with that attack, like its hitbox was bigger than the graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

CubeTheory posted:

I seem to have hit a wall on one of the bosses of the 90 Monoliths. They do a spin attack with three lasers, and I seem to take damage even if I'm not touching them. Am I missing a mechanic or is this a latency issue? My FPS drops during that fight too, so it can be difficult to tell what's happening sometimes.

I think I know the boss you're talking about. I died a few times figuring the fight out. Here is what I figured out:

You also may be able to stand on-top of him, which is where the lasers aren't are. But be careful if you have a knockback attack or if you move accidently outside of his body area, 'cause the lasers will get'cha. <-- My build can't do this very easily, I knocback/teleport

If you're speedy, you can run around and poke at him until the phase ends. <-- My build can't do this very easily, I'm too slow

You can DPS burn him down to end that spinning laser phase sooner and tank/sustain through the lasers. Positioning yourself at maximum range where you can do damage and burn all your skills/mana. <-- This is what I ended up doing, as my build is good at this. Save any big cooldown skills that do the deeps for this phase. e.g. I save my Blackhole spell for this phase.